Jonathan Martin in a trade?

MichaelWeston

This makes more sense then anything I can think of. Marvin Lewis, Hue Jackson and Andrew Whitworth are the perfect guys to create an atmosphere for Martin to succeed. Martin has tremendous ability and would give us great depth at tackle. I would give up a 4th without question. Get her done. He has two years left on a very very friendly contract. 

There was a lot of talk they were going to outright cut him.  I would wait and see what happens there.  We would be at least semi-desirable with a spot at LT possibly opening up.

On the bright side, it could potentially drab down AC's market.  Quite a few good LT's out there this year.

Could be interesting.  Might be worth a shot for a 4th/5th rounder.  He'd provide solid depth at 

Tackle for sure.  Would be a younger/better option at backup tackle than Dennis Roland who 

happens to be a free agent.  Roland made $715,000 last year.  Martin at roughly $825,000 for 2014

and roughly $1,042,000 for 2015.  

Go mentioned something about a 1st or 2nd rounder in this years draft.  For comparison, Margus

Hunt's contract last year was 4 years, $3,671,102 with $1.6 million guaranteed.  You could probably

add 10% to that for the 2014 draft so a 2nd rounder in 2014 would probably cost roughly 4 years,

$4 million with $1.8 guaranteed.  

I'd take Martin and his contract in that scenario and give up the 4th or 5th rounder and use the 2nd

round pick on another need.  

We would get him cheaper financially and could use that 1st or 2nd rounder on some other position.

cheaper than a first or second round pick? not by much...

where we are drafting, our first round pick will hit roughly 2 mil on the cap/yr, our second round pick will hit about 1 mil on the cap per year..

a 3rd year players MINIMUM VETERAN SALARY, is $645k... if he wouldnt even sign for that...im guessing he will make a few mil a year somewhere... 

anyway, are we really worried about a 300k savings,though?  we arent exactly in cap trouble... no past, a few years younger, no baggage...grab a guy in the first 2..

and perhaps use FA to bring in that "other position"...

im not against it... all i wanted to point out is there is no big savings or huge discount bringing this guy in... he isnt a big misunderstood willie anderson or anything... i dont see any signs that there is a franchise o-linemen who we can get for vet minimum... as i would be all for that...

just saying no huge gain or savings on the line..

smart guy, wouldnt mind him on the team one bit...

juss sayin.

IMO

where we are drafting, our first round pick will hit roughly 2 mil on the cap/yr, our second round pick will hit about 1 mil on the cap per year..

a 3rd year players MINIMUM VETERAN SALARY, is $645k... if he wouldnt even sign for that...im guessing he will make a few mil a year somewhere... 

anyway, are we really worried about a 300k savings,though?  we arent exactly in cap trouble... no past, a few years younger, no baggage...grab a guy in the first 2..

im not against it... all i wanted to point out is there is no big savings or huge discount bringing this guy in... he isnt a big misunderstood willie anderson or anything... i dont see any signs that there is a franchise o-linemen who we can get for vet minimum... as i would be all for that...

juss sayin.

IMO

-Good point, what probably matters more is getting to use that pick on another position.

juss sayin.

IMO

What you're missing is the guy is already under contract for the next 2 years at $825,000 for 2014 and $1,042,000 for 2015.

If you trade for the guy, you just assume his contract.  It's not free agency right?  Unless you want to extend him for some

reason.  Sounds to me like the guy would just be happy to be playing in the NFL next year.  

I was just thinking this... We have the type of locker room that would be good for him.. His big knock was his strength.  Develop him a year, get him ready for the next year to start.  meanwhile he could be a pretty decent backup to Whit or Smitty.

Archived