Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2014

Posted on March 27, 2013 by Dan Shonka
Ourlads’ Guide to the NFL Draft is the only source that gives the number for the quarterback’s velocity at the NFL Combine. Velocity is measured by a radar gun in miles per hour.

Jimmy-Garoppolo-for-blog3-300x163.jpg

Jimmy Garoppolo - 2014

YEAR: 2014

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech 60
Stephen Morris, Miami 59
Tom Savage, Pittsburgh 57
Blake Bortles, Central Florida 56
Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois 56
Jeff Mathews, Cornell 56
Keith Wenning, Ball State 56
Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois 55
Tajh Boyd, Clemson 54
Bryn Renner, North Carolina 54
David Fales, San Jose State 53
AJ McCarron, Alabama 53
Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M 53
Connor Shaw, South Carolina 50
Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville – Did not throw
Derek Carr, Fresno State – Did not throw
Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M – Did not throw
Zach Mettenberger, LSU – Did not throw
Aaron Murray, Georgia – Did not throw

Geno%20Smith.png

Geno Smith - 2013

YEAR: 2013
Tyler Bray, Tennessee 59
Zac Dysert, Miami (OH) 59
James Vandenberg, Iowa 57
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 56
Bradley Sorensen, Southern Utah 56
Geno Smith, West Virginia 55
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas 55
EJ Manuel, Florida State 54
Matthew Scott, Arizona 54
Landry Jones, Oklahoma 53
Collin Klein, Kansas State 52
Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech 51
Marqueis Gray, Minnesota 51
Michael Glennon, North Carolina State 49
Matt Barkley, Southern Cal – Did not throw
Sean Renfree, Duke – Did not throw

Brandon%20Weeden.jpg

Brandon Weeden - 2012

YEAR: 2012
Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59
Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi 58
Nick Foles, Arizona 57
Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois 57
Jordan Jefferson, LSU 57
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 55
Casey Keenum, Houston 55
Patrick Witt, Yale 54
Darron Thomas, Oregon 53
Ryan Lindley, San Diego State 52
Kellen Moore, Boise State 52
Jacory Harris, Miami 50
Aaron Corp, Richmond 50
BJ Coleman, Tennessee-Chattanooga Did not throw
Robert Griffin III, Baylor Did not throw
Andrew Luck, Stanford Did not throw
Brock Osweiler, Arizona State Did not throw
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M Did not throw
Andy-Dalton-3-300x200.jpg

Andy Dalton 2011

YEAR: 2011
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada 59
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas 58
Patrick Devlin, Delaware 56
Andy Dalton, TCU 56
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin 55
Nathan Enderle, Idaho 54
Jake Locker, Washington 54
TJ Yates, North Carolina 52
Christian Ponder, Florida St  51
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa 50
Tyrod Taylor, Va Tech 50
Greg McElroy, Alabama Did not throw
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri Did not throw
John%20Skelton.jpg

John Skelton 2010

YEAR: 2010
Levi Brown, Troy 56
Colt McCoy, Texas 56  (Did not throw at Combine. Throw was recorded at a private workout with a Radar Gun & Computer Chip in Ball.
Max Hall, BYU 52
Tim Hiller, Western Michigan 52
Michael Kafka, Northwestern 52
Zac Robinson, Oklahoma St. 52
Jevan Snead, Mississippi 52
Sean Canfield, Oregon St. 51
Jarrett Brown, West Virginia 50
John Skelton, Fordham 50
Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan 49
Tony Pike, Cincinnati 49
Armanti Edwards, Appalachian St. 46.5
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma Did not throw
Jimmy Clausen,Notre Dame Did not throw
Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee Did not throw
Tim Tebow, Florida Did not throw
Josh%20Freeman.jpg

Josh Freeman 2009

YEAR: 2009
John Wilson Parker, Alabama 58
Mike Reilly, Central Washington 58
Drew Willy, Buffalo 58
Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal 57
Josh Freeman, Kansas State 57
Chase Daniels, Missouri 57
Nate Davis, Ball State 56
Curtis Painter, Purdue 56
Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State 55
Tom Brandstetter, Fresno State 53
Cullen Harper, Clemson 53
Stephen McGee, Texas A & M 53
Graham Harrell, Texas Tech 52
Pat White, West Virginia 52
Matt Stafford, Georgia Did not throw
Joe%20Flacco.jpg

Joe Flacco 2008

YEAR 2008:
Paul Smith, Tulsa 57
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55
Kevin O’Connell, San Diego St 55
Brian Brohm, Louisville 53
Chad Henne, Michigan 53
Erik Ainge, Tennessee 52
John David Booty, Southern Cal 51
Matt Flynn, LSU 50
Josh Johnson, San Diego 49
Colt Brennan, Hawaii 44
Dennis Dixon, Oregon Did not throw
Matt Ryan, Boston College Did not throw
Andre Woodson, Kentucky Did not throw

Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2014

Posted on March 27, 2013 by Dan Shonka
Ourlads’ Guide to the NFL Draft is the only source that gives the number for the quarterback’s velocity at the NFL Combine. Velocity is measured by a radar gun in miles per hour.

Jimmy-Garoppolo-for-blog3-300x163.jpg

Jimmy Garoppolo - 2014

How do they do this measurement?  3 step drop and throw?

I would like to see this and a measurement of how hard they can throw SITTING down.  We had to do that with a baseball and it is a great indicator of actual arm strength verses technique.

Hmm.  Dalton has as good an arm as Cam?

Who'd a thunk it.

the people who have been referencing these stats for 3 years. :p

This site has been tracking the results for awhile, they just finally published an article with 7 years worth of combine data.

Hmm.  Dalton has as good an arm as Cam?

Who'd a thunk it.

If you (general) think Dalton has as strong an arm as Cam Newton, you're delusional.  That's why these stats are not valid.   The reaches some people go for in trying to make themselves feel better about Dalton. 

If you (general) think Dalton has as strong an arm as Cam Newton, you're delusional.  That's why these stats are not valid.   The reaches some people go for in trying to make themselves feel better about Dalton. 

Have you got a better objective way to measure arm strength than velocity?

Have you got a better objective way to measure arm strength than velocity?

Depends on how they're performing the test.  I assure you it wasn't performed with both feet planted or off their back foot or scrambling to the right or left.....because that's when arm strength becomes an issue.  85% of the time, Dalton's arm strength will suffice.....it's those improv situations like having to throw off his back foot or throw while on the run that it is VERY apparent he's lacking in arm strength. 

Have you ever watched Cam Newton play?  And you've definitely seen Dalton play.  Would you say their arm strength is equal?  

I don't think that MPH really matters.  Guys are not whipping the ball in at 60 MPH every time they throw it.  Its more about the spiral.  If you look at Brees and his ball, it just really spins off his hand with his spiral.  He really drives that thing.  Brady throws a really nice ball as well.  Its all about putting the ball in the right place and making it catchable by spinning it.

I don't think that MPH really matters.  Guys are not whipping the ball in at 60 MPH every time they throw it.  Its more about the spiral.  If you look at Brees and his ball, it just really spins off his hand with his spiral.  He really drives that thing.  Brady throws a really nice ball as well.  Its all about putting the ball in the right place and making it catchable by spinning it.

agreed that spin is a big factor.  If you're talking pure strength, guys like Brees and Dalton wouldn't likely be near the top, but its als about HOW you throw it, not just how hard you throw it.  

The video above does a nice job of talking about spin and talking about how it impacts the accuracy, and distance of a throw.

Depends on how they're performing the test.  I assure you it wasn't performed with both feet planted or off their back foot or scrambling to the right or left.....because that's when arm strength becomes an issue.  85% of the time, Dalton's arm strength will suffice.....it's those improv situations like having to throw off his back foot or throw while on the run that it is VERY apparent he's lacking in arm strength. 

Have you ever watched Cam Newton play?  And you've definitely seen Dalton play.  Would you say their arm strength is equal?  

Wait a minute.. Don't make me go back and find quotes, but I know for a fact you have argued that Andy can't make all the throws and that the offense was limited because of this, also throw in a smattering of how his poor arm strength limits his deep ball.. And now, when faced with physics that denies those claims, it's all about throwing off his back foot?

OK

Wait a minute.. Don't make me go back and find quotes, but I know for a fact you have argued that Andy can't make all the throws and that the offense was limited because of this, also throw in a smattering of how his poor arm strength limits his deep ball.. And now, when faced with physics that denies those claims, it's all about throwing off his back foot?

OK

Knock yourself out Encyclopedia Brown. 

His arm strength DOES limit him.  I've said lots of shit....I've also said that arm strength isn't an issue for Dalton unless he's throwing off his back foot, flat footed, rolling out etc...   You know....about 85% of the time.   It's apparent to an objective observer his arm limits him.  Then we see bullshit stats like both Dalton and Newton throw the football 56 MPH so their armstrength is equal? 

And that's the physics I'm faced with?  Get the fuck out of here with your weak shit. 

Knock yourself out Encyclopedia Brown. 

His arm strength DOES limit him.  I've said lots of shit....I've also said that arm strength isn't an issue for Dalton unless he's throwing off his back foot, flat footed, rolling out etc...   You know....about 85% of the time.   It's apparent to an objective observer his arm limits him.  Then we see bullshit stats like both Dalton and Newton throw the football 56 MPH so their armstrength is equal? 

And that's the physics I'm faced with?  Get the fuck out of here with your weak shit. 

LOL

Really? Ok.  But that offensive line is the best in the league at pass protection, amiright?

LOL

Really? Ok.  But that offensive line os the best in the league at pass protection, amiright?

Goodness, here:

Andy Dalton's arm strength is NOT an issue 85% of the time.  About 15% of the time when a QB does have to throw uncomfortably, without being able to step up in the pocket, into his throw, arm strength IS an issue with Dalton.

Is that worded better so that you can understand? 

I apologize, English is the 4th, in order, language I learned so my wording isn't the best at times.   So sorry you didn't understand what I posted.

Yes yes yes, we all know that you speak 4 languages, or so you like to remind us every now and again.. Do you never wonder why you feel the need to do that?  It seems, small.

Yes yes yes, we all know that you speak 4 languages, or so you like to remind us every now and again.. Do you never wonder why you feel the need to do that?  It seems, small.

Wow.  Really? 

I mentioned it and stated very purposefully that it was my 4th language, chronologically, in order to try and excuse my poor sentence structure which confused you into thinking that 85% of the time etc... You mad? 

I apologize, English is the 4th, in order, language I learned so my wording isn't the best at times.   So sorry you didn't understand what I posted.

I used to be fluent in 5 languages but lack of use has diminished my fluency.

English
French
Cajun
HTML
DOS

FORMAT C: (Hmmm, what does that do? SF2 hits enter)
Warning, all data will be lost. Proceed? (Mehh, data is overrated)

I used to be fluent in 5 languages but lack of use has diminished my fluency.

English
French
Cajun
HTML
DOS

FORMAT C: (Hmmm, what does that do? SF2 hits enter)
Warning, all data will be lost. Proceed? (Mehh, data is overrated)

When I was in college as a TA in Computer Science, the Liberal Arts college started giving Linguistics credit to Liberal Arts students for the Engineering first semester programming course.  You worked your way up to assembler at the end of the course. Before that you were doing it all by hand.

It was like throwing the poor kids into a buzzsaw.  There were fellows getting 3 of 100 in the midterm.

Wow.  Really? 

I mentioned it and stated very purposefully that it was my 4th language, chronologically, in order to try and excuse my poor sentence structure which confused you into thinking that 85% of the time etc... You mad? 

It just seemed snarky.  It didn't come off as sincere.  Perhaps it's an artifact of failed linguistic nuance, but it had the same air as a lot of your posts lately.  Condescending and kind of dickish.  I'm not really sure where that comes from, or why, but for the longest time (when you were Ikota) you were probably in my top 5 favorite posters.  You sure didn't seem to come off condescending or mocking then.  You always struck me as patient, intelligent and polite.  Perhaps I misunderstood, I apologize.

It just seemed snarky.  It didn't come off as sincere.  Perhaps it's an artifact of failed linguistic nuance, but it had the same air as a lot of your posts lately.  Condescending and kind of dickish.  I'm not really sure where that comes from, or why, but for the longest time (when you were Ikota) you were probably in my top 5 favorite posters.  You sure didn't seem to come off condescending or mocking then.  You always struck me as patient, intelligent and polite.  Perhaps I misunderstood, I apologize.

Ha....no, it's true.  I've noticed it in my posting as well.....it seems when I post here it's that way, and been that way for a good while now because I've allowed myself to get caught up, WAY too caught up in this whole Dalton debate which has led me to become intolerant really, for a lack of better word, towards opposing views.   And I would imagine condescending and dickish.    It's to the point where I feel "dirty" after posting here at times.  I know I've taken things a little too far.....  I just got too caught up in it at times and allowed myself to "be in character" when I knew it wasn't appropriate.  

But just for the record, I speak 5 languages :lol:   

Ha....no, it's true.  I've noticed it in my posting as well.....it seems when I post here it's that way, and been that way for a good while now because I've allowed myself to get caught up, WAY too caught up in this whole Dalton debate which has led me to become intolerant really, for a lack of better word, towards opposing views.   And I would imagine condescending and dickish.    It's to the point where I feel "dirty" after posting here at times.  I know I've taken things a little too far.....  I just got too caught up in it at times and allowed myself to "be in character" when I knew it wasn't appropriate.  

But just for the record, I speak 5 languages :lol:   

:lol: I believe you.

I can totally empathize.  I have to take a break now and again if I find myself slipping.  They say as you practice, so you play.  I try not to practice being asshole, which is far too easy on here at times.

Archived