Roster Reset: AFC North

Dumb a$$ argument. Your both wrong....if anything bess in 2013 = hawkins(as a number 2 receiver) 2014.. You all act like we are talking about calvin johnson vs golden tate or something. One isn't clearly better then the other. There is no way to know what hawkins numbers could be as a number 2 receiver....imo! Lol

Dumb a$$ argument. Your both wrong....if anything bess in 2013 = hawkins(as a number 2 receiver) 2014.. You all act like we are talking about calvin johnson vs golden tate or something. One isn't clearly better then the other. There is no way to know what hawkins numbers could be as a number 2 receiver....imo! Lol

well, we sorta do.  In 2012 Hawkins was the #2 WR.  He was 2nd among WR in passes thrown his way and 2nd among WR's in catches. :P

I think its also notable that the Steelers were probably the hottest team in the league down the stretch.  If not for an Antonio Brown gaff, they would have snuck into the playoffs somehow.  

Its going to be a tough division this year.  We are going to need to go at least 4-2 to win the division, me thinks.

I think its also notable that the Steelers were probably the hottest team in the league down the stretch.  If not for an Antonio Brown gaff, they would have snuck into the playoffs somehow.  

Its going to be a tough division this year.  We are going to need to go at least 4-2 to win the division, me thinks.

Hate to admit it, but I think the Steelers have had a solid off season. They were surprisingly active in free agency and added some good players on both sides of the ball. Most importantly, they have gotten younger and shed some dead weight from what was one of the NFL's oldest rosters. Mainstays like Clark, Keisel, Woodley, and Foote are gone and they were able to re-negotiate with Polamalu and Miller to gain cap relief. They kept Worilds with the transition tag and signed Mitchell, Cam Thomas, and Arthur Moats to bolster each level of the defense. Pouncey's return improves their o-line and adding Blount and Lance Moore helps make up for some of the skill position players they have lost. They already have the best QB in the division and Bell seems like the real deal at RB. Given the way they closed so well last year, I would be surprised if Pittsburgh isn't even better next year.

what, at all, does what Bengals fans think of their own team have to do with what Bengals fans, or any fan, thinks of the Browns team?  That's merely a deflection of the point.  We aren't talking about the Bengals, or what Bengals fans, or other fans think of them.  We're talking about the Browns, and the supposed "positive" moves they've made, and the proof is in the pudding.

There's simply no getting around the facts.

They dumped a well respected DC in Ray Horton for a first time DC

They dumped Norv Turner, who if they put coordinators in the Hall of Fame he'd be in, for Kyle Shanahan.

It's not a coincidence that both of their coordinators quickly got coordinator jobs elsewhere.

They downgraded from Bess to Hawkins

They downgraded from Ward to Whitner.  

They failed to re-sign their center, who doesn't want to be there, and had to match a contract offer that pays him $4.5M more than the next highest paid center.

The Browns offseason is the very definition of what's wrong with fans opinion of free agency.  Thinking that making moves for the sake of making moves is always positive development.  Just because a team makes changes, doesn't mean they're making changes for the better.

They also downgraded at LB - a year or so ago Jackson was their only decent defensive player in the front 7

Hate to admit it, but I think the Steelers have had a solid off season. They were surprisingly active in free agency and added some good players on both sides of the ball. Most importantly, they have gotten younger and shed some dead weight from what was one of the NFL's oldest rosters. Mainstays like Clark, Keisel, Woodley, and Foote are gone and they were able to re-negotiate with Polamalu and Miller to gain cap relief. They kept Worilds with the transition tag and signed Mitchell, Cam Thomas, and Arthur Moats to bolster each level of the defense. Pouncey's return improves their o-line and adding Blount and Lance Moore helps make up for some of the skill position players they have lost. They already have the best QB in the division and Bell seems like the real deal at RB. Given the way they closed so well last year, I would be surprised if Pittsburgh isn't even better next year.

But they closed with all those players that they lost. 

Pitt is struggling with Ben's contract - they can't play the same game they used to when the QB was just a guy.  It is hard to expect that losing all those guys won't affect that defense.  They could go 10-6 or 6-10 from what I see.

But they closed with all those players that they lost. 

Pitt is struggling with Ben's contract - they can't play the same game they used to when the QB was just a guy.  It is hard to expect that losing all those guys won't affect that defense.  They could go 10-6 or 6-10 from what I see.

Clark was awful last year.  He needed to go.  I'm hearing mixed reviews on how good Mitchell really is, but I have to think Mitchell at his worst is still better than Clark was last year.  

Woodley has been awful for at least 2 years, even when "healthy".  The guy hasn't beaten a block against a non-RB in 3 years.  What sacks he has gotten have been purely scheme-created.  I think we overpaid for Worilds, but still think he's a better option than Woodley.  

Cotchery was a bigger loss than most realize.  He was the only semi-big target we had last year (with Miller hurt, at least) and was developing a great rapport with Ben.  Lance Moore and Heyward-Bey don't solve that (Bey is bigger, but doesn't play like it).  Bey has the speed to help stretch the field, but his gawd-awful hands make me hope we don't have to rely on him.  He came cheap, so I guess there isn't much downside, but my biggest fear is that we end up in a position where we have to count on him.   

I'm not looking forward to Pouncey returning.  Our offensive line was horrid was he was there in the first part of the season.  Pouncey is very overrated.  He's quick enough to be able to seal block, but it is not good at moving bigger guys at the point of attack, and tends to get bullrushed backward in pass-pro.  These are not qualities you want from your "Pro Bowl" center that you're paying a lot of money.  Our offensive line was significantly better in the second half of the season with Velasco and even something called "Kody Wallace" at C.  I don't necessarily think either of those two are better than Pouncey, but both were way more valuable when you factor in cost.  

Clark was awful last year.  He needed to go.  I'm hearing mixed reviews on how good Mitchell really is, but I have to think Mitchell at his worst is still better than Clark was last year.  

Woodley has been awful for at least 2 years, even when "healthy".  The guy hasn't beaten a block against a non-RB in 3 years.  What sacks he has gotten have been purely scheme-created.  I think WE overpaid for Worilds, but still think he's a better option than Woodley.  

Cotchery was a bigger loss than most realize.  He was the only semi-big target we had last year (with Miller hurt, at least) and was developing a great rapport with Ben.  Lance Moore and Heyward-Bey don't solve that (Bey is bigger, but doesn't play like it).  Bey has the speed to help stretch the field, but his gawd-awful hands makes me hope we don't have to rely on him.  He came cheap, so I guess there isn't much downside, but my biggest fear is that we end up in a position where we have to count on him.   

I'm not looking forward to Pouncey returning.  Our offensive line was horrid was he was there in the first part of the season.  Pouncey is very overrated.  He's quick enough to be able to seal block, but it is not good at moving bigger guys at the point of attack, and tends to get bullrushed backward in pass-pro.  These are not qualities you want from your "Pro Bowl" center that you're paying a lot of money.  Our offensive line was significantly better in the second half of the season with Velasco and even something called "Kody Wallace" at C.  I don't necessarily think either of those two are better than Pouncey, but both were way more valuable when you factor in cost.  

Fuck the Stealers.

Archived