One of the benefits of having such bad Team D stats is that Vance Joseph may stay under everyone's radar this off season.

While we're talking about the secondary, is there anybody else who thinks that Leon Hall is just about done?

He was never fast, and the injuries have really taken a toll. He absolutely cannot keep up in man coverage anymore. I hate it because he really has been a great player, but I'm beginning to look at him as a liability. As Darqueze Dennard and Dre Kirkpatrick continue to come on, Hall might well be shuffled out of the mix completely.

One of the benefits of having such bad Team D stats is that Vance Joseph may stay under everyone's radar this off season.

While we're talking about the secondary, is there anybody else who thinks that Leon Hall is just about done?

He was never fast, and the injuries have really taken a toll. He absolutely cannot keep up in man coverage anymore. I hate it because he really has been a great player, but I'm beginning to look at him as a liability. As Darqueze Dennard and Dre Kirkpatrick continue to come on, Hall might well be shuffled out of the mix completely.

That's just not true though. He ran an electronic 4.39 at the NFL combine...

Measurables
40 Yard Dash:  4.39 seconds 20 Yard Dash:  2.52 seconds 10 Yard Dash:  1.45 seconds Bench Press:  15 reps (225 lb) Wonderlic:  (N/A) (0-50)
Vertical Leap:  37.5 inches Broad Jump:  125 inches 20 Yd Shuttle:  4.07 seconds  Three Cone:  6.50 seconds 60 Yd Shuttle:  (N/A) seconds

So true.

He does not have the speed to be a slot corner anymore.

Matter of fact, the only time he should see the field is in nickel and dime packages.

He might make a decent safety now, but I doubt it.

Add to the fact that he left the game with a sore achilles, such doesn't help matters :29:

That's just not true though. He ran an electronic 4.39 at the NFL combine...

[font='Segoe UI']

Measurables

[/font][font='Segoe UI']
40 Yard Dash:  4.39 seconds 20 Yard Dash:  2.52 seconds 10 Yard Dash:  1.45 seconds Bench Press:  15 reps (225 lb) Wonderlic:  (N/A) (0-50)
[/font]
[font='Segoe UI']
Vertical Leap:  37.5 inches Broad Jump:  125 inches 20 Yd Shuttle:  4.07 seconds  Three Cone:  6.50 seconds 60 Yd Shuttle:  (N/A) seconds
[/font]

I stand corrected. I don't remember him running a sub 4.4. He's always played like a 4.5/4.6 type guy. Anyway, if he was once a 4.39 guy, he hasn't lost just a single step then...

And the more I thin about, theirs I'm scratching my head. He's NEVER shown that kind of speed. Maybe that's why I've forgotten his combine numbers.

While Leon ran a 4.39 at the combine, he doesn't have what you think of when you think of tremendous (4.39) speed, other than straight line speed and it takes him a while to build up to his top speed....I think that makes people forget that Leon ran the great 40 time.  Not to mention, that was his knock coming into the combine so I would imagine he practiced and practiced how to reduce the 40 time as much as possible.  

I think we may have expected too much from Leon because he came back so well from his first injury.

I'm not throwing in the towel on him until I see how he plays next year.

Completely agree.  Everyone's giving Geno a pass because he's coming back from an ACL.....which is devastating for a DT.  Leon's coming back from a ruptured achilles...which is just as devastating for a CB.  Give him some time.....or allow him the same excuses as Geno's been allowed.  Thing is, Halls position is more 'visible' than a DT and when Leon's man beats him for a play, we see Leon covering and curse him....but we don't see Geno (and others) being handled in one on one matchups, failing to get any pressure on the QB.  

Completely agree.  Everyone's giving Geno a pass because he's coming back from an ACL.....which is devastating for a DT.  Leon's coming back from a ruptured achilles...which is just as devastating for a CB.  Give him some time.....or allow him the same excuses as Geno's been allowed.  Thing is, Halls position is more 'visible' than a DT and when Leon's man beats him for a play, we see Leon covering and curse him....but we don't see Geno (and others) being handled in one on one matchups, failing to get any pressure on the QB.  

That's valid.

However, Atkins is 4 years younger. And at DT, if he never regains his speed, he can still be a damn good ball player. At corner, technique and strength only go so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for the guy. I'm just saying that even if you take Terrence Newman out of the equation, Adam Jones, Darqueze Dennard, and Dre Kirkpatrick mat all be better options than Hall very soon (if not already). Leon Hall's making an awful lot if money to be kept around as a fourth corner.

Until that day comes, I'll be hoping that he gets back to his old self. I just feel like, right now, he's struggling.

And the silver lining is that Kirkpatrick has finally shown up...

That's valid.

However, Atkins is 4 years younger. And at DT, if he never regains his speed, he can still be a damn good ball player. At corner, technique and strength only go so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for the guy. I'm just saying that even if you take Terrence Newman out of the equation, Adam Jones, Darqueze Dennard, and Dre Kirkpatrick mat all be better options than Hall very soon (if not already). Leon Hall's making an awful lot if money to be kept around as a fourth corner.

Until that day comes, I'll be hoping that he gets back to his old self. I just feel like, right now, he's struggling.

And the silver lining is that Kirkpatrick has finally shown up...

Just one year ago, Leon Hall shut down Randle Cobb and many other slot receivers and was playing at an All Pro level....just 1 yr ago.   I'm in the same boat...I'm concerned with his play, no doubt...but I too am pulling for the guy to return to the Leon Hall we're accustom to seeing.  

They wont promote one of the young guys to Leon's spot this year, not the way Marvin works, and Leon will get every chance to prove in the offseason they shouldnt promote anyone ahead of him.

Normally I'd agree but a few people were saying there were inklings that Leon's "sore achilles" was a bit of a stretch of the truth by the coaches. I'd love to know if any of the posters here that hear things from insiders heard anything like this.

Archived