Bengals mailbag: Sign Greg Hardy as a free agent?

Well, how much interest should they show in Hardy if they think he was guilty of the charges?

I think almost everyone thinks he was guilty of the charges. I am not thrilled about the guy but keep in mind I did NOT want Adam Jones. Won't even pretend I was on the fence with him.

Would rather have someone else. We started cleaning our image up and I would like to keep it that way.

This is kinda how I feel, but it's hard to not want a DE that can get to the QB at will.  He seems to be a questionable character and will probably want big money, 2 things that make me think he won't be a Bengal.    

IMO Hardy will get the "Pac Man Deal" wherever he goes.  Given the recent PR nightmare with the NFL, no team is going to be dumb enough to give away the farm.

We've proven quite successful at giving questionable players fair contracts with lots of upsides if they perform but with easy outs if they fuck up. 

That's exactly what Hardy will take, whether it's here or somewhere else. 

I can live with this.

Keep in mind my dislike of Hardy has to do with personal experience. I would rather we not have him here but understand how the NFL works. Vick killing dogs doesn't bother me nearly as much as a guy that beats up women.

You do realize that what got Vick in trouble was running an illegal interstate gambling ring right? And that what brought him down were the same kind of RICO laws used to bust other ORGANIZED CRIMINALS and that the animal abuse charges were but a minor aspect of his sentencing that got too much attention by the media because it's sexy? (Well that and the NFL would rather people focus on the animal abuse and never mind the gambling implications).

This always gets my goat because I can't tell you how many times I have heard it said or written that Vick went to jail for killing dogs, which is not only untrue, but actually trivializes the real criminal activity he was involved in.

Not that I wouldn't have locked his ass away for just the killing of dogs, but unfortunately the laws don't actually work that way especially for someone as wealthy as Vick. Had he just been murdering dogs he owned, there is very little chance he ever gets more than a fine.

I'd sign Hardy.  Even if he draws a suspension, as long as it's not the whole season.  Ben only got

what, 6 games for supposedly raping a woman.  Of course that was before the whole domestic

violence thing came to the forefront.  If he gets 8 games or less, I'd do it.  He'd be fresh for the 2nd

half of the season and really have something to prove.

If he messes up, have Loleini Tonga take him for a ride in her pick up truck.

:ninja:  :facepalm:

Too soon?  

Can't hit on all of them.  

I appreciate this kind of shit and being a smart ass as much as anyone...  Maybe it is just too soon... I just love Slim and always will...so maybe it will just never be time for me.....

I appreciate this kind of shit and being a smart ass as much as anyone...  Maybe it is just too soon... I just love Slim and always will...so maybe it will just never be time for me.....

Right on.  I loved the guy too.  It was a tragedy for sure!  It's been over 5 years though.  Not that that makes it okay

or anything.  Doesn't seem that long ago.  Imagine him opposite of A.J. ?  If I hit a sore spot there fluhartz, it wasn't

intentional.  :)  

Hardy should get the PAC Man deal.

The better value is Suh. But of course that isn't cheap and our team is.

It's not about cheapness, it's just not smart to pay a defender $20M per season. I wouldn't pay anyone except a top 10 QB that much money as no single player makes that big of an impact.

There have been some good studies on this and the findings are pretty clear that paying a non-QB over 10% of the total cap almost never leads to team success because so many other positions inevitably suffer. 

Right on.  I loved the guy too.  It was a tragedy for sure!  It's been over 5 years though.  Not that that makes it okay

or anything.  Doesn't seem that long ago.  Imagine him opposite of A.J. ?  If I hit a sore spot there fluhartz, it wasn't

intentional.   :)  

it's all good homie... no sore spot personally, just Slim..

You do realize that what got Vick in trouble was running an illegal interstate gambling ring right? And that what brought him down were the same kind of RICO laws used to bust other ORGANIZED CRIMINALS and that the animal abuse charges were but a minor aspect of his sentencing that got too much attention by the media because it's sexy? (Well that and the NFL would rather people focus on the animal abuse and never mind the gambling implications).

This always gets my goat because I can't tell you how many times I have heard it said or written that Vick went to jail for killing dogs, which is not only untrue, but actually trivializes the real criminal activity he was involved in.

Not that I wouldn't have locked his ass away for just the killing of dogs, but unfortunately the laws don't actually work that way especially for someone as wealthy as Vick. Had he just been murdering dogs he owned, there is very little chance he ever gets more than a fine.

LOL, I couldn't care less that Vick was involved in gambling. The federal and state governments are the biggest hypocrites in the world when it comes to gambling. I never said he went to prison for killing dogs, never even mentioned his jail time.

It's not about cheapness, it's just not smart to pay a defender $20M per season. I wouldn't pay anyone except a top 10 QB that much money as no single player makes that big of an impact.

There have been some good studies on this and the findings are pretty clear that paying a non-QB over 10% of the total cap almost never leads to team success because so many other positions inevitably suffer. 

Yeah, $20 million a year for ANY defender is crazy money!  Even at QB you're putting your team in a bind at 

one point or another.  See the Ratbirds as an example right now.  Even basically "renting" a defensive player

for a year in that range, IE: Patriots and Revis is kind of crazy.  Did it pay off for the Pats?  You could say it did

but who made the play in the SB that ultimately won the game for them?  Undrafted rookie Malcolm Butler.  

$20 million a year is too big of a risk for one player on the defensive side in my opinion.  

Yeah, $20 million a year for ANY defender is crazy money!  Even at QB you're putting your team in a bind at 
one point or another.  See the Ratbirds as an example right now.  Even basically "renting" a defensive player
for a year in that range, IE: Patriots and Revis is kind of crazy.  Did it pay off for the Pats?  You could say it did
but who made the play in the SB that ultimately won the game for them?  Undrafted rookie Malcolm Butler.  
$20 million a year is too big of a risk for one player on the defensive side in my opinion.  

Totally agree with this. I honestly have only seen a handful of defensive players worthy of near (but not top) QB money. Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis and damn that might be it.

Yeah and Revis didn't make $20M last year.

He signed for 2 years, $32M and had a cap hit of only $7M last year. 

His cap hit if they keep him for 2015 would be $25M which is why he is probably going to be cut in the next few days (with $5M in dead money).

When you count the dead money, it ends up being a one year $12M deal. And they only got him that "cheap" because he was coming off a torn ACL and wanted to play for a contender.

Yeah and Revis didn't make $20M last year.

He signed for 2 years, $32M and had a cap hit of only $7M last year. 

His cap hit if they keep him for 2015 would be $25M which is why he is probably going to be cut in the next few days (with $5M in dead money).

When you count the dead money, it ends up being a one year $12M deal. And they only got him that "cheap" because he was coming off a torn ACL and wanted to play for a contender.

I understand Revis didn't make that last year but the deal he signed would cost them $20+million to keep him.

I was just referring to him as a player on that side of the ball that could make in the $20 million range which is

crazy is all. 

Archived