Bengals mailbag: Sign Greg Hardy as a free agent?

Rosenhaus could be bullshitting too to try to drum up a decent offer. Never really know what's really going on with these type of deals. 

Sounds like NE had mostly pulled out of the Revis bidding but his agent used their supposed interest to drive up the price for the Jets. No reason for the Pats to call the agent's bluff because I'm sure they were happy to see the Jets overpay. 

Yeah, but the risk with Hardy, or any of these guys who have violence-related PR issues, is that, like many people who are violent, the earlier stuff is just a warning sign for something bigger.  Apparently it was there with Hernandez.  And now the Pats are dealing with the PR nightmare that they brought a serial-killing gang banger to sleepy New England.  

The more practical reality is also that, under the new policy, the NFL isn't looking the other way anymore and these guys truly are in jeopardy for the future.

Yeah, but the risk with Hardy, or any of these guys who have violence-related PR issues, is that, like many people who are violent, the earlier stuff is just a warning sign for something bigger.  Apparently it was there with Hernandez.  And now the Pats are dealing with the PR nightmare that they brought a serial-killing gang banger to sleepy New England.  

The more practical reality is also that, under the new policy, the NFL isn't looking the other way anymore and these guys truly are in jeopardy for the future.

So sign him to a contract worth a ton, but that has caveats in it to protect the team if he fucks up, or pay him if he doesnt fuck up.

I have zero faith in the Bengals to do anything positive towards 2015 right now though. Literally bungling their way through the cap and FA so far.

So sign him to a contract worth a ton, but that has caveats in it to protect the team if he fucks up, or pay him if he doesnt fuck up.

I have zero faith in the Bengals to do anything positive towards 2015 right now though. Literally bungling their way through the cap and FA so far.

I don't know enough about the CBA or new league policies in regard to how that stuff can work. In other words, I imagine the teams that sign dudes that get nicked like that take the hit with the cap, etc.  Otherwise there would be no problem signing most of these high-uspide premium position guys, other than the hole they leave in your roster (whcih for many, would be well worth the risk).

I don't know enough about the CBA or new league policies in regard to how that stuff can work. In other words, I imagine the teams that sign dudes that get nicked like that take the hit with the cap, etc.  Otherwise there would be no problem signing most of these high-uspide premium position guys, other than the hole they leave in your roster (whcih for many, would be well worth the risk).

Teams can punish players by suspending them without pay for up to 4 games. The new league DV policy says 6 game suspension for a first offense, then indefinite for a repeat offense. When players are fined the money goes to NFL charities. But during suspensions they don't get paid and in effect help the team recoup some cap space. The team can also clawback a prorated amount of signing bonus too. The team could also include completion bonuses as part of the deal. 

I couldn't imagine being that rich and looking that stupid ...

Mark Davis says Raiders aren’t talking to Greg Hardy
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
markdavis1xoburkolhqm.jpg?w=250Getty Images

On Thursday, reports surfaced that the Raiders are interested in free-agent defensive end Greg Hardy.  On Friday, owner Mark Davis slammed the door.  Hard.

False, falser and falsest,” Davis told Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News.  “That is not true.”

It appears that Davis specifically was addressing the question of whether the Raiders are negotiating with Hardy.  Davis was a bit more vague on the question of whether his employees charged with acquiring football players may be interested in acquiring Hardy.

“I’m saying that he’s somebody we are not negotiating with and I don’t believe we would be interested in at this point in time,” Davis said. “I can tell you this:  It has not been brought up to me and it would have to come to me.”

But it wouldn’t necessarily come to Davis spontaneously, the moment someone working in football operations develops an interest in Hardy.  It’s possible that it would percolate as the person(s) interested in Hardy devise a way to persuade the guy who signs the checks to sign off.

It’s now clear that Davis won’t.

The force of the denial from Davis regarding the lack of negotiations isn’t surprising.  Anyone who demonstrates any interest in Hardy risks a negative P.R. consequence, given the lingering aftermath of the Ray Rice in-elevator video.  The other concerns with Hardy are:  (1) he still may be suspended by the NFL; and (2) there’s no guarantee he won’t find trouble again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/13/mark-davis-says-raiders-arent-talking-to-greg-hardy/

Archived