Bengals rookie WR shows off world class speed

Bengals rookie WR shows off world class speed
cover32 Yardbarker

MAY 12, 2015 1:11p ET

MarioAlford.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg
Justin K. Aller/Getty Images
The Cincinnati Bengals drafted a speedster in the seventh round with 'Super' Mario Alford.

By Cameron Duval

Keep in mind while watching this video that the Bengals were able to grab this guy in the seventh round.

Watch "Super Mario" Alford hit the next level. Mesmerizing speed. No idea how you overthrow him. #Bengals pic.twitter.com/Souxe4Xzti

Are you kidding me?

Introducing the seventh round pick Mario Alford former wideout for the West Virginia Mountaineers. That should certainly help get his name out there.

Hopefully corners and safeties around the league are taking notes because the one in that video got smoked!

His jets may flare up even more when he faces an opposing team and not one of his own.

That is going to be fun to watch this year, let’s hope that Andy Dalton has the arm strength to get it there.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/bengals-rookie-wr-shows-off-world-class-speed-051215

Brandon Tate as a return guy is WAY more solid than we give him credit for as evidence by his rankings as compared to the rest of the league.  As a WR however, he needs to never line up there again. Ever.  

But Alford's speed is deadly.  There is no way anyone, including slot corners, would be able to stay with him on a crossing route.  If Hue can find ways to clear the middle of the field and get Alford the ball there, this guy could be a huge weapon.  He's not really the shifty, make you miss type but damn can he run fast as shit.  

I say #nomorestatusquo...... cut Tate, infuse some new energy into the return game with Alford.  Pacman can return kicks too if he wants...those 2 back there would give teams fits.  Then put Gio as the PR like he was in college.  Championship!   Wait, nevermind....we still have Dbag Dalton.  

From what I read his hands aren't bad. But he has fast-WR-itis, i.e., sometimes wants to run before securing the ball. And because of his size doesn't have a big radius and doesn't always win contested balls.

I think that is a concern, and I'm sure it's legit but when I watch him play I don't see a guy who can't catch or even someone with 'bad' hands.....maybe he loses focus at times?

I think he hits the NOS button a bit too early and drops the ball.  No doubt he is small but with that kind of speed the big guys will be staring at your ass more than they will be hitting you.

From what I've seen, the two main concerns with him are:

1. Size- Obviously. He's only 5'8, 180 pounds. Not too many really successful NFL players that small. And the few that are tiny are really, really quick (see #2). 

2. Considered straight linish, not quick footed (Fast but not quick)- This is the biggest knock on him compared to other small guys like Andrew Hawkins, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Tavon Austin, Jamison Crowder, Tyler Lockett, etc. Those guys have super fast feet, can stop and go in a hurry, loose hips, etc. All the scouting reports say he doesn't have "stop-start quickness," has to "build up to stop speed," not a "short-area jitterbug," etc. That's why he is considered a great kick returner (where you can build up a head of steam) but hasn't had much success as a punt returner (need to get up to top speed really quickly and made guys miss in space). They are different skill sets and it's not clear if Alford has the attributes to be a good punt returner. Same with slot WR. You have to be able to stop at a dime, change direction quickly, and get up to top speed right away.

What is interesting about this scouting report is that his short shuttle and 3 cone at the combine were pretty fast so he doesn't test like a guy who is tight-hipped, needs time to build up to speed, etc.

I think this will be the thing to watch with him. If the scouting reports are correct, then he's just an undersized occasional deep threat and kick returner who isn't quick enough to be a good slot WR in the NFL and will be a #5 or #6 type of WR. If he can improve and gain that stop-start foot quickness (or the scouting reports are wrong), he has a chance to end up being a nice #3 or #4 WR

2. Considered straight linish, not quick footed (Fast but not quick)-

But that would be incorrect.  Of the WRs at the combine 1 guy had a faster 3-cone, 2 guys had a faster 20 yard shuttle, and 1 guy had a faster 60.  And no one was faster than him in more than 1 event.

Hands have definitely been a knock on Alford for a while. I think he had something like 7 drops last season.  That said, I think most of his receptions will be on long balls and short underneath bubble screens and such, which are often the easiest balls to catch.  

But that would be incorrect.  Of the WRs at the combine 1 guy had a faster 3-cone, 2 guys had a faster 20 yard shuttle, and 1 guy had a faster 60.  And no one was faster than him in more than 1 event.

You read my whole post or not?

From what I've seen, the two main concerns with him are:

1. Size- Obviously. He's only 5'8, 180 pounds. Not too many really successful NFL players that small. And the few that are tiny are really, really quick (see #2). 

2. Considered straight linish, not quick footed (Fast but not quick)- This is the biggest knock on him compared to other small guys like Andrew Hawkins, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Tavon Austin, Jamison Crowder, Tyler Lockett, etc. Those guys have super fast feet, can stop and go in a hurry, loose hips, etc. All the scouting reports say he doesn't have "stop-start quickness," has to "build up to stop speed," not a "short-area jitterbug," etc. That's why he is considered a great kick returner (where you can build up a head of steam) but hasn't had much success as a punt returner (need to get up to top speed really quickly and made guys miss in space). They are different skill sets and it's not clear if Alford has the attributes to be a good punt returner. Same with slot WR. You have to be able to stop at a dime, change direction quickly, and get up to top speed right away.

What is interesting about this scouting report is that his short shuttle and 3 cone at the combine were pretty fast so he doesn't test like a guy who is tight-hipped, needs time to build up to speed, etc.

I think this will be the thing to watch with him. If the scouting reports are correct, then he's just an undersized occasional deep threat and kick returner who isn't quick enough to be a good slot WR in the NFL and will be a #5 or #6 type of WR. If he can improve and gain that stop-start foot quickness (or the scouting reports are wrong), he has a chance to end up being a nice #3 or #4 WR

I was really bummed we didn't get Crowder.  I think the kid is going to be a really nice Y receiver in the league for awhile.  Not that they were going to take him over Shaw.

I really think they missed the boat on a slot guy that can work the middle of the field.  With Jermaine gone and Kroft an unknown, we really have no one to take on the short to intermediate stuff.  Eifert can definitely slot in there, but I wonder if Mo can do it.  He's just never shown much consistency over the course of his career even though he has the size to do it.

I was really bummed we didn't get Crowder.  I think the kid is going to be a really nice Y receiver in the league for awhile.  Not that they were going to take him over Shaw.

I really think they missed the boat on a slot guy that can work the middle of the field.  With Jermaine gone and Kroft an unknown, we really have no one to take on the short to intermediate stuff.  Eifert can definitely slot in there, but I wonder if Mo can do it.  He's just never shown much consistency over the course of his career even though he has the size to do it.

A couple of the NFL Network twitter guys were going on that Bengals had interest in him but not when the Redskins took him. I would have liked to have had him as I think if used correctly he could have a very successful career as a 3rd WR. We will never know because Gruden won't have a clue how to use him.

Archived