Bengals' season comes down to 1 game in postseason

AP - Sports

View gallery

CINCINNATI (AP) -- No more ''wait 'till next year'' for the Bengals. For many of them, this could be their last chance to get it right, get to the playoffs and finally win a game.

The Bengals have put a lot of money into keeping their team virtually intact for the past few seasons even though it went 0-4 in the playoffs.

With a dozen regulars in their final contract years, there will be notable changes in the next offseason, regardless of what happens.

How sweeping the changes? That could depend upon how well they do in the postseason, and they know it.

''The mood for me: It's just now or never,'' second-year running back Jeremy Hill said. ''It's been four years in a row and I think if it doesn't happy this year, then it's probably never going to happen.

''I think something has to change.''

There's not a lot of change in the Bengals, who went 10-5-1, got a wild card and lost in the first round at Indianapolis. Hill is expected to become more of a focal point for the offense after his breakout rookie season - 1,124 yards and nine touchdowns. Defensive tackle Geno Atkins looks better in his second year removed from knee surgery.

And Andy Dalton is taking a higher profile in the offense, becoming more of a leader at the urging of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson.

''I feel like I've done more from a leadership standpoint, of pushing guys and getting exactly what we're wanting,'' Dalton said. ''I feel like I'm throwing the ball well. The ball is coming out of my hand really, really well.''

That's all well and good, but none of it matters if the Bengals either fail to reach the playoffs, or if they get there and lose the first game again. Cincinnati hasn't won a playoff game since the 1990 season, the longest current postseason drought and the sixth-longest in NFL history.

Five things to watch with the Bengals this season:

ANDY, ANDY, ANDY: There's no getting away from it: Dalton is in the spotlight. The fifth-year quarterback isn't going to win games with improvisation or a spectacular throw, but he's shown he can get the Bengals to the playoffs by being steady. Fans are restless, though, after those four straight playoff flameouts. Dalton got booed when he was introduced for a celebrity softball game at Great American Ball Park during the All-Star game festivities.

''But there are a lot of loyal fans, a lot of people that have backed me, that have supported me,'' Dalton said. ''That's all I've heard.''

RUN IT: Hill's emergence as a power back changed the look of the offense. Jackson wants to run the ball even more this season, with Giovani Bernard in the No. 2 role. Hill embraces it.

''My confidence level is through the roof right now,'' Hill said. ''A lot of expectations have been placed on me, and I take that with open arms.''

GENO & COMPANY: The Bengals were last in the league in sacks last season in large measure because the line got so little pressure. Atkins returned less than a year after reconstructive knee surgery and wasn't the same player, but he's looked good in the preseason. End Michael Johnson returned after spending a season with Tampa Bay, giving the line a needed boost.

DRE'S DAY: With cornerback Terence Newman leaving for Minnesota, Dre Kirkpatrick finally gets to have a starting job. The first-round pick has been hurt and inconsistent during his first three seasons, but he impressed during training camp and the preseason.

''I don't want to just be a starting corner,'' Kirkpatrick said. ''I want to be the best.''

THOSE BAD PLAYOFF NUMBERS: There's no getting away from that ugly postseason history. No other team has lost first-round playoff games in four consecutive seasons. Dalton's four straight opening-round losses tie Warren Moon for the NFL record by a quarterback. He's one shy of Dave Krieg's overall record of five consecutive playoff losses. Marvin Lewis' 0-6 playoff record matches Jim Mora for worst to start an NFL coaching career. The six straight playoff losses tie him with Mora, Marty Schottenheimer and Steve Owen for another NFL record. The Bengals could release Dalton after this season without creating significant salary cap problems. Lewis has one more year on his contract. A lot's at stake.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bengals-season-comes-down-1-game-postseason-195915523--nfl.html

I think Joe is on the money.     It's all about the post season with this squad.

Every loss is going to built up as a reason why they won't break down the door.    Every win is going to be treated as a check mark as they approach the playoffs.

Winning in Oakland is expected.   A loss in Oakland is going to bring about the panic button.   

It will be interesting to see if this team can do something in the regular season to really bring the hype like last year's 3-0 start or something like 2005.  

Just judging the mood,  the majority seemed bored with the regular season. 

Much drama there, Joe? 

I am am old enough to remember a time where the focus was the here and now...and not 4-5 months later. And not the hyperbole of a second-year RB declaring the franchise's apocalypse should thus and so not happen.

If you don't understand the importance of this team winning a playoff game all you need to do is look at the declining season ticket sales and attendance figures.  Attendance was down almost 21,000 last year which adds up to around $1.5 million in revenue.   Worse is the team simply hasn't been competitive in these games for the most part to include the Jets playoff game 6 years ago.   Anything short of a deep playoff run will be a failed season.

The goal can't be win A playoff game,...that was the goal against San Diego.  This team is 2 years older, better and more experience.  The time is now to do something.  Hell, even Marty Shottenheimer won 3 playoff games with the Chiefs in the early and mid 90s. 

If you don't understand the importance of this team winning a playoff game all you need to do is look at the declining season ticket sales and attendance figures.  Attendance was down almost 21,000 last year which adds up to around $1.5 million in revenue.   Worse is the team simply hasn't been competitive in these games for the most part to include the Jets playoff game 6 years ago.   Anything short of a deep playoff run will be a failed season.

The goal can't be win A playoff game,...that was the goal against San Diego.  This team is 2 years older, better and more experience.  The time is now to do something.  Hell, even Marty Shottenheimer won 3 playoff games with the Chiefs in the early and mid 90s. 

I understand quite well. And if ticket sales are declining, it is due to the hyperbolic media penning 24/7 disaster novels over someone's missed route in mini-camps. And continuously pounding the meme only causes the already-poisoned fan base to become even more so. 

Didn't have this back when.   

I understand quite well. And if ticket sales are declining, it is due to the hyperbolic media penning 24/7 disaster novels over someone's missed route in mini-camps. And continuously pounding the meme only causes the already-poisoned fan base to become even more so. 

No, attendance it dropping because the Bengals have never taken the next step with Marvin Lewis as the coach.  It isn't a Bengals issue either,  the Stealers had a huge drop off in attendance after missing the playoffs in 2012.   Going 0-5 in the playoffs the last 6 years and the manner in which we lost games is why attendance is down, not because of the pre-season. 

Nah.    0-6 and being outscored 84-13 in the second half of playoffs games speaks for itself.

EDIT:  Bengals are in a similar but worse situation fan perception wise than the Jim Mora led Colts and first years of Dungy.   Despite franchise best (Indy years) seasons in 1995/1996 and the early Peyton success that town did not really start to back the Colts until they started throwing out Superbowl seasons and flirting with undefeated seasons.  

Nah.    0-6 and being outscored 84-13 in the second half of playoffs games speaks for itself.

EDIT:  Bengals are in a similar but worse situation fan perception wise than the Jim Mora led Colts and first years of Dungy.   Despite franchise best (Indy years) seasons in 1995/1996 and the early Peyton success that town did not really start to back the Colts until they started throwing out Superbowl seasons and flirting with undefeated seasons.  

This exactly.  The coaching staff has underachieved and has been out coached in the playoffs particularly during the game.  There is no reason to expect the 7th time to be the charm for the casual fan hence the lack of enthusiasm for the upcoming season by many.   You can even see it here on this board which isn't close to as active as it has been in the past this close to the start of the season. 

Agreed, to a point.

Joe Kay's article isn't much different than Scharms "season without joy rant", and I'm guessing that was on purpose.

Kay knows his declining audience, and his remarks accurately describe the portion of the fanbase who are already pointing "without joy" towards a December playoff berth as if it were a birthright of no real value.

Myself, I'm pretty stoked the season is finally here and I'm looking forward to what should be one of the most interesting, entertaining, and important Bengal seasons in years.

On to Oakland.  

As for declining attendance, it doesn't concern me.

I'm all in favor of this team shedding large portions of it's fanbase as if it were dead skin.

Someone's reality check must've bounced because we all know they'll be headbutting that panic button if the team doesn't go 16-0.  There's a mini Chernobyl on here after every incomplete pass.

No, but when you have season tickets and have the pleasure of witnessing both the Browns and Stealers games from the stands, that shit takes its toll on you.  We are not talking about missed passes, we are talking about ASS kickings and choking.  Nobody expects 16-0 but most of us hope to be in every game until worst case late in the 4th quarter.    I am sorry but good teams DON'T get  ass raped at home, EVER, by Cleveland and they certainly don't give up 25 points to the Stealers in the 4th quarter, again AT HOME.  

We also got obliterated 2 hours away in Indy during the regular season.  Bent over Uncle Ted ass raped without lube. 

Fact is nobody is pushing the panic button, this is the type of shit we have come to expect from a Marvin Lewis led team a few times every year, particularly in January.  I just watch the games and hope for the best but I don't expect all that much to be different this year.  8-8 to 10-6 seems about right.   Basically settled into my Cubs fan impression.

It shouldn't be now or never for the players but it should be now or never for Marvin Lewis.  The players take their cue from the head coach as to how to handle situations, and you'll never convince me that the post-season choking and the occasional regular season meltdowns aren't on him.

Last season some of the players were whining about the lack of sellouts when the team started 3-0, but the fans were right.  They already knew what was coming, because we've all watched this play out before.  I'm going to watch because I always do, but my expectations for the regular season are tempered and my expectations for the postseason are nil.

It shouldn't be now or never for the players but it should be now or never for Marvin Lewis.  The players take their cue from the head coach as to how to handle situations, and you'll never convince me that the post-season choking and the occasional regular season meltdowns aren't on him.

Last season some of the players were whining about the lack of sellouts when the team started 3-0, but the fans were right.  They already knew what was coming, because we've all watched this play out before.  I'm going to watch because I always do, but my expectations for the regular season are tempered and my expectations for the postseason are nil.

Absolutely.     At the end of the day we are talking about winning a singular Wild Card round playoff game.

Shit,  even Dave Wannstedt won in the playoffs with Jay Fielder, lol. 

Some fans treat this as some grand goal and the fact the Bengals just have the opportunity should put them above questioning.

Absolutely.     At the end of the day we are talking about winning a singular Wild Card round playoff game.

Shit,  even Dave Wannstedt won in the playoffs with Jay Fielder, lol. 

Some fans treat this as some grand goal and the fact the Bengals just have the opportunity should put them above questioning.

The goal of winning a playoff game should have been taken care of against San Diego.  Perfect set up to get the monkey off our back.  Didn't happen.  This should be the year the very experienced Bengals behind 5th year QB Andy Dalton should be taking the LAST step toward the promised land.  Instead we are still trying to get our first playoff win in 25 years which is a staggering amount of time.

I fully expect the Stealers to make a legitimate run at the AFC Championship this year because that is how that sack of shit franchise is wired.   They make a run, rebuild for a year or two and make another run.     Those fuckers are 9-5 in the playoffs with 3 Superbowl appearances and 2 rings since Marvin took over here.  The fucking Ravens are 10-5 with a ring.   I don't get worked up about it anymore, I just try to enjoy the games and have no expectations. 

Basically The Bengals wins come from the other team handing the game over to us but even so, the Bengals still don't really know how to take a game given to them and almost hand the game right back. 

We need to have a killer instinct and put teams away early on. We have the talent on offense to be one of the top scoring teams but we will end up scoring near the Browns/Jags/Redskins tier.

t obliterated 2 hours away in Indy during the regular season.  Bent over Uncle Ted ass raped without lube. 

Fact is nobody is pushing the panic button, this is the type of shit we have come to expect from a Marvin Lewis led team a few times every year, particularly in January.  I just watch the games and hope for the best but I don't expect all that much to be different this year.  8-8 to 10-6 seems about right.   Basically settled into my Cubs fan impression.

Well that sounds like a bummer, but you do you.  To me this is a once-proud franchise that got run into the ground.  There are a lot of fans that will never get over that.  Lewis had to drag Mikey kicking and screaming into the modern NFL.   Things were looking great when Carson got Kimo'd & I think there was some panic. We had a few bad drafts for various reasons.  Marvin's authority was in question and there were too many chefs in the kitchen. 

That stuff is all over and done, though.  I try not to let that influence me too much. Teams have come back from worse.

As of now, I would call this a very good team trying to find a way to be great.  I think it's clear something has been missing but we won't know what it is until it changes. It's been said before that Marvin could be like Dungy in Tampa where we need someone else to finish what he started.  IDK.

All that aside, there's also the issue of seeding.  One way to avoid a first-round loss is to earn a bye week.  If this team plays up to potential there's no reason they can't win 12+ games.

Hill should worry about keeping 2 hands on the ball, this other shit will take care of itself.

Hopefully they know better than to complain about it this season. I'm going to go to whatever games I'm able to afford this season, but they really can't shit on some fans for not buying in completely. I'm the stupid motherfucker that bitches all offseason, then when the season starts pretty much expects 16-0. I'm used to it pretty much, because Bengals football is part of my goddamn soul. The casuals and a lot of people with money and other options to spend their time....I can't really blame them for not buying in. I had just popped out of my momma's vagina the last time we won a playoff game. I don't even know what I'd do if we won a playoff game. I mean besides get shitfaced. Can't say "act like you've been there before", because I've never seen it.

Good God, it needs to happen this season, though, man. This squad is more talented than any Bengals squad I've ever seen. It needs to happen.

Well that sounds like a bummer, but you do you.  To me this is a once-proud franchise that got run into the ground.  There are a lot of fans that will never get over that.  Lewis had to drag Mikey kicking and screaming into the modern NFL.   Things were looking great when Carson got Kimo'd & I think there was some panic. We had a few bad drafts for various reasons.  Marvin's authority was in question and there were too many chefs in the kitchen.

I don't think the Bengals panicked after Palmer's injury. I think Palmer did. I think he felt his best years were slipping away and when some of his suggestions were ignored he convinced himself those shortcomings were fatal flaws. In reality the fatal flaw Palmer's inability to accept criticism of his own play and leadership. Probably wasn't much of a leap to further convince himself the grass on his trash covered lawn was going to be greener somewhere else.

That stuff is all over and done, though.  I try not to let that influence me too much. Teams have come back from worse.

A portion of the Bengals fanbase never lets the team forget its past. For them, the answer to every question is....where's my t-shirt?

As of now, I would call this a very good team trying to find a way to be great.  I think it's clear something has been missing but we won't know what it is until it changes. It's been said before that Marvin could be like Dungy in Tampa where we need someone else to finish what he started.  IDK.

Until the Bengals change the narative they'll always be seen as a flawed team with only a punchers chance to win. That's fair I guess, but I don't think they're missing much. Bengals could very easily take the next step by getting a few more breaks, by having better health and fewer injuries, by getting small upgrades at multiple positions by players already on the roster, and by replacing so-called project players who provided depth on paper only. 

Palmer and the offense did pretty good in 2006 and 07 but our defense, which had only held its own by creating turnovers in 2005 wasn't so lucky the next 2 years.   Then the elbow in 2008 and the rest is history. 

As far as Bengals fans not forgetting the past I would say there is a lot of truth to that statement but like B.A.B. said, there are two generations of fans that really don't know any better.  We all know how champions are treated and even teams that lose the big game get respect from the fans.  I have adult children that have never seen the Bengals win a playoff game.  A 32 year old probably has zero recollection of the Bengals having success in the playoffs. 

Damn right about the last statement, they and they alone can change the narrative.  They can't blame the fans for being skeptical or less than enthusiastic, they haven't earned it.  The team simply drops too many winnable games in the regular season given its roster and puts itself in a bad spot come playoff time.  Sure, we celebrate beating  Denver at home (rightfully so) but you can't turn around and lose to Cleveland and tie a bad Carolina team at home, it just fucks you post season.   12-4 gets us a bye, 10-5-1 got us a road Wild Card game.

2013 we beat Green Bay then drop away games to Cleveland (4-12) and lose a won game at Miami in OT, a game in which we had 4 turnovers and still had it won.   13-3 or even 12-4 gets us a bye (Beat New England)

Palmer and the offense did pretty good in 2006 and 07 but our defense, which had only held its own by creating turnovers in 2005 wasn't so lucky the next 2 years.   Then the elbow in 2008 and the rest is history. 

As far as Bengals fans not forgetting the past I would say there is a lot of truth to that statement but like B.A.B. said, there are two generations of fans that really don't know any better.  We all know how champions are treated and even teams that lose the big game get respect from the fans.  I have adult children that have never seen the Bengals win a playoff game.  A 32 year old probably has zero recollection of the Bengals having success in the playoffs. 

Damn right about the last statement, they and they alone can change the narrative.  They can't blame the fans for being skeptical or less than enthusiastic, they haven't earned it.  The team simply drops too many winnable games in the regular season given its roster and puts itself in a bad spot come playoff time.  Sure, we celebrate beating  Denver at home (rightfully so) but you can't turn around and lose to Cleveland and tie a bad Carolina team at home, it just fucks you post season.   12-4 gets us a bye, 10-5-1 got us a road Wild Card game.

2013 we beat Green Bay then drop away games to Cleveland (4-12) and lose a won game at Miami in OT, a game in which we had 4 turnovers and still had it won.   13-3 or even 12-4 gets us a bye (Beat New England)

Yep. Winning a playoff game helps change the narrative like it or not.

But the narrative isnt just playoff games, its prime time, its games against beatable teams..... it's a 2 QBR against a team that on paper you should beat.... a 2

Mixture of things being discussed here.

1- The narrative of the current Bengals are dangerously close to going down the path of the Warren Moon Oilers, Jim Mora Saints, Buddy Ryan Eagles etc.   Good teams that over time are overlooked and talk about vaguely as time goes on.  

2- This era of Bengals will get swept completely from the NFL memory without a Championship because the Bengals do not have a great fan base.   What's worse is there seems to be a decent level of distain for this group of Bengals from the market.  

The lack of hype and the disinterested fan base is hard to explain other than people are poisoned and the Bengals are stale.   It's crazy to think about 2003-2007 Bengals compared to this team.    

The better teams 2011-Current.    Yet 03-07 Bengals were on covers of ESPN Mag.  Sports Illustrated.  They had every fast food place with some sort of Bengal related give away.  Bootsy Collins videos, Cincy Enquirer coins.   Whole bunch of stuff.   Heck there was a season ticket waiting list at one point.   Now there are thousands of tickets for the home opener available just under two weeks til kick off.

THIS.

Lewis is the problem, IMO.  He'd be a great GM but he simply cannot "coach up" these players.  They never show up in prime time ready to break heads.  They always play like amateurs and embarrass themselves and their fans.  No pride built up in these players.  They treat each blowout loss as a fluke--but they're not flukes, they're the NORM for this team.

Shoulda promoted Zim.  He's fiery.

Archived