Should the Bengals Go All-In Next Year?

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Who is claiming coaching salaries come from the salary cap? How much coaches are paid does have a lot to do with what coaches can be hired and kept.  I doubt Marvin was ever in the top half of the league in pay. He supposedly made around 6 mil per year compared to 15 mil for Sean Payton and 20 for Belichick. Do you think Taylor was making very much before his new contract? 

Where is the indoor training facility? How big is the field? 

Wait, are you saying 0 playoff wins Marvin deserved around the same pay as a 6 time Super Bowl winner? Or a guy who finally made the Saints relevant, won a Super Bowl, was 9-8 in the playoffs and was a bright shining light after Katrina?  

Marvin didn’t deserve a dime after the Carson Palmer melt down or the San Diego playoff fiasco.  He was paid more than what he was worth for far too long. 

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't know that we "Draft for shit", we do have some guys here that are homegrown that are pretty good. What we need to be able to do though is maximize things since we will be drafting at the bottom of the draft for the foreseeable future.

Referring to some of the prior years where our drafts were quite lean

19 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Referring to some of the prior years where our drafts were quite lean

I think almost every team has a bad draft every few years.  There is luck involved for sure.  Just ask the Browns who took Baker Mayfield over some guy who played at little ole Wyoming named Josh Allen (thank god).  I am sure the Jets are kicking themselves too for taking can’t miss Sam Darnold.  

The draft is almost always a dice roll.  

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

I think almost every team has a bad draft every few years.  There is luck involved for sure.  Just ask the Browns who took Baker Mayfield over some guy who played at little ole Wyoming named Josh Allen (thank god).  I am sure the Jets are kicking themselves too do taking can’t miss Sam Darnold.  

The draft is almost always a dice roll.  

100%. Which is why it cannot be relyed on to fill a roster. In the past theis team certainly was 'proud' about facts like 'having the most draft picks playing' but that means little when the team is bad. We appear to have moved away from the hard and fast rule of playing your picks no matter what. Draft is very important and if you miss over a period of a few years straight it will be trouble even if you go into free agency. I think we all like the move towards picking leaders in college and players versus althletes with great combine numbers. 

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

100%. Which is why it cannot be relyed on to fill a roster. In the past theis team certainly was 'proud' about facts like 'having the most draft picks playing' but that means little when the team is bad. We appear to have moved away from the hard and fast rule of playing your picks no matter what. Draft is very important and if you miss over a period of a few years straight it will be trouble even if you go into free agency. I think we all like the move towards picking leaders in college and players versus althletes with great combine numbers. 

Yes.  They should throw in training habits too.  Then again most leaders have the best training habits, but I would like to see them avoid guys like Carman and Andre Smith.

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The Bengals have one of the lowest paid coaching staffs in the league. Remember when a college DC turned the Bengals down because they wouldn't match his pay?

It's public record that the team doesn't spend to the cap. They have the option of rolling unused money into the following season but don't always exercise that option, ie it goes to the Brown family coffers when they don't. They did that when Marvin was coach. 

Organizations that are committed to winning try to maximize all their assets. They spend to the cap. They have bigger staffs for scouting and coaching. The cap applies equally to all teams. Other spending is up to the owners. Cowboys have the Star, Bengals have to go to UC to practice indoors. 

While the Bengals may not spend to the cap in one season, they're able to (and do) roll that over to the next year.  There's also a rule that you MUST spend up to at least 95%(?) of the cap. 

I think the better example of being "cheap" is the guaranteed money that we don't give.  From what I understand once you guarantee money, on day one you have to put the entire amount into an account.  MB isn't the wealthiest owner so it's probably more difficult for him to give as much guaranteed money as someone like Jerry Jones.  We're normally on the low end of guaranteed money, but we try to offset that by keeping players through the entirety of their contracts.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Wait, are you saying 0 playoff wins Marvin deserved around the same pay as a 6 time Super Bowl winner? Or a guy who finally made the Saints relevant, won a Super Bowl, was 9-8 in the playoffs and was a bright shining light after Katrina?  

Marvin didn’t deserve a dime after the Carson Palmer melt down or the San Diego playoff fiasco.  He was paid more than what he was worth for far too long. 

No, I'm responding to your claim that Marvin was among the higher paid coaches in the league. He wasn't (and didn't deserve to be). 

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No, I'm responding to your claim that Marvin was among the higher paid coaches in the league. He wasn't (and didn't deserve to be). 

Actually, his last two years he was reportedly making $6 mil a year which put him in top 10.  Why they gave him 2 more years is mind numbing. 

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Actually, his last two years he was reportedly making $6 mil a year which put him in top 10.  Why they gave him 2 more years is mind numbing. 

The old man played Marvin and Marvin played the old man..

All was good...for them..

Marvin kept them above water and the old man let him coach as long as it worked..

Finally the Blackburn girls came into the big decisions and found a young smart  energetic coach to take them further..

Its working quite well..😎

5 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I don't know if the Bengals "draft for shit" any more than most other teams.  Big difference is keeping those crappy players around till their contract expires when you know they are shit.  Calling John Ross and Oogie Boogie.....

Good point.. I agree..

Hard for the staff to admit they blundered though.

Hoping that on rook contracts they produce at some time ..

11 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The old man played Marvin and Marvin played the old man..

All was good...for them..

Marvin kept them above water and the old man let him coach as long as it worked..

Finally the Blackburn girls came into the big decisions and found a young smart  energetic coach to take them further..

Its working quite well..😎

2011 would have been a better year to find that young smart energetic coach. 

At least I am still alive. 

10 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I don't know if the Bengals "draft for shit" any more than most other teams.  Big difference is keeping those crappy players around till their contract expires when you know they are shit.  Calling John Ross and Oogie Boogie.....

Even Saint William of Belichick has terrible drafts.  Cant draft a WR to save his ass.  Of course he gets rid of dead weight in a hurry. 

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Good point.. I agree..

Hard for the staff to admit they blundered though.

Hoping that on rook contracts they produce at some time ..

This is a problem that happens at many organizations.  People are afraid to tell the truth because they will be “held accountable.”   So, you keep shitty players because coaches are afraid to tell management they suck.  That starts at the top. 

Archived