2024 Offensive offseason overview

38 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The problem with your argument is that Williams isn't good. He'll find a starting LT job somewhere but the Bengals shouldn't even consider paying him 15+ mil per year. At this point I don't expect Carman or Smith to step up so we'll need to look to the draft or free agency for Jonah's replacement. The odds are that a first round tackle will become a better RT than Jonah. This class is deep at OT so I wouldn't be surprised if there were decent options in round 2 as well. We could hedge some risk by signing a stopgap veteran like Eluemunor or similar. 

My understanding is Williams has been at least average at RT? What are his comparable to other RT’s? My fear would be the next guy could just as easily be a Cartman or Bobby Hart. 

Here is all the Rookies this year. Catches-Yards-TDs

Nacua-Rams (5) 96 1327 5
Addison-Vikings (1) 63 826 9
Rice-Chiefs (2) 74 811 7
Flowers-Ravens (1) 74 752 4
Dell-Texans (3) 47 709 7
Downs-Colts (3) 63 670 2
Smith-Njigba-Seahawks (1) 59 602 3
Reed-Packers (2) 54 592 6
Wicks-Packers (5) 33 520 2
Douglas-Patriots (6) 44 508 0
Wilson-Cardinals (3) 28 435 2
Mingo-Panthers (2) 41 418 0
Johnston-Chargers (1) 33 395 2
Mims-Broncos (2) 19 350 1
Hyatt-Giants (3) 17 330 0
Palmer-Bucs (6) 33 291 2
Tucker-Raiders (3) 12 216 2
Gipson-Jets (U) 14 177 0
Tillman-Browns (3) 17 173 0
Bobo-Seahawks (U) 15 169 2
Perry-Saints (6) 6 150 1
Scott-Bears (4) 12 127 0
Washington-Jaguars (6) 14 119 2
Heath-Packers (U) 11 103 1
Iosivas-Bengals (6) 10 80 2
Hutchinson-Texans (6) 5 76 0
Bell-49ers (7) 5 63 2
Brooks-Cowboys (7) 5 63 0
Jarrett-Bucs (U) 4 60 0
Davis-Chargers (4) 14 48 0
Cooks-Jaguars (U) 3 38 0
Brownlee-Jets (U) 3 28 1
Jones-Bengals (4) 4 15 0
Boutte-Patriots (6) 1 11 0
Dowell-Titans (7) 1 3 0
Green-Lions (7) 1 2 0
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

My understanding is Williams has been at least average at RT? What are his comparable to other RT’s? My fear would be the next guy could just as easily be a Cartman or Bobby Hart. 

Williams is ranked  58th of 84.

That's not near average.

I bet his rating in the AFCN is terrible.

Time to cut bait...

Oline rankings.

Williams.......58 of 84

Cappa...........24 of 78

Karras...........14 of 37

Volson..........43 of 78

Brown Jr.......51 of 84

• Like 1

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Williams is ranked  58th of 84.

That's not near average.

I bet his rating in the AFCN is terrible.

Time to cut bait...

Oline rankings.

Williams.......58 of 84

Cappa...........24 of 78

Karras...........14 of 37

Volson..........43 of 78

Brown Jr.......51 of 84

I agree then. I did think he was performing better than that. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

As much as people want to get something for Tee, that won't happen.  They will keep him as long as they can, and when they can not they will let him go to choose his own fate in FA instead of being forced to go where a trade dictates,  In a way that is the reward for service, the freedom to do what you want after.  Whether this is good or bad, it's how it is on this team.

Agree.I do not see him getting franchised.He hasn't done much this year,to deserve that.Franchise tagged,gets you top 5 money at your position.He isn't worth it.

59 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

By the metric of PFF...OBJ isn't exactly lighting the offensive line world on fire either. 

Looks that way. But the OL as a unit performed much better when the offense was a mix of under center and play action versus shotgun. So if the offensive "wizards" on our stfaf cant see that there is a bigger issue than RT. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stan said:

Agree.I do not see him getting franchised.He hasn't done much this year,to deserve that.Franchise tagged,gets you top 5 money at your position.He isn't worth it.

I think he's likely to be tagged. The WR tag for next season is projected at around 21 mil. There are more than 5 guys whose average annual value is more than that but players restructure all the time to reduce their current year cap hit. So it holds down the franchise tag values. 

Anyway, the Bengals have lots of cap space for next season, about 6th in the league. They probably won't sign a big money free agent from another team but can certainly tag Tee, extend Reader if they wish, and give Uno a new contract while re-signing depth guys like Irwin, Hudson, Bailey, Tupou, etc. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think he's likely to be tagged. The WR tag for next season is projected at around 21 mil. There are more than 5 guys whose average annual value is more than that but players restructure all the time to reduce their current year cap hit. So it holds down the franchise tag values. 

Anyway, the Bengals have lots of cap space for next season, about 6th in the league. They probably won't sign a big money free agent from another team but can certainly tag Tee, extend Reader if they wish, and give Uno a new contract while re-signing depth guys like Irwin, Hudson, Bailey, Tupou, etc. 

I think the Franchise tag is all but guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stan said:

Nah, I think they tag him, part of keeping as long as possible, then let him walk if a deal isn't reached.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

By the metric of PFF...OBJ isn't exactly lighting the offensive line world on fire either. 

No he hasn't..

A bit of a disappointment .

Looks like we have 2 very mediocre OTs but the interior is holding up .

Volson being 43 of 78 is a good sign in progress..

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stan said:

Disagree .

How many teams would want this guy 

at franchise money?

Id say ALL of them.

He's an AJ Green clone and he's not going anywhere in the future IMHO.

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:17 PM, claptonrocks said:

Disagree .

How many teams would want this guy 

at franchise money?

Id say ALL of them.

He's an AJ Green clone and he's not going anywhere in the future IMHO.

i hope you’re right. Love the guy and he’s young and really talented. One of the half-dozen most talented guys on the team, IMO. You just don’t let him go… at least, not yet. 

• Upvote 1