1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Let’s see some mocks today fellas. When you do them, go into it with the thought that RT and DT needs have been filled in FA. Let’s see what we all come up with. 

Still think even if we add a RT and DT in FA, that we draft at least a DT as we lack some serious depth there. Also think the RT market is bare and that if we add a guy it will be a rental while we wait on a rookie to get up to speed. So I don't think either position will be off the table, and think depending on who we take at DT, that both positions could still be taken early.

But given your restrictions. 

Brock BowersTE Georgia
Xavier LegetteWR South Carolina
Christian HaynesOG UConn
Payton WilsonLB NC State
Tykee SmithS Georgia
Tanor BortoliniOC Wisconsin
George HolaniRB Boise State
Isaac RexTE BYU
Willie DrewCB Virginia State

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Somebody better start thinking about LB as well considering we currently only have two on the roster. It’s definitely a need. 

Yup, but I don't expect us to touch one till at least the 3rd round (Wilson and Pratt we're both 3rd round picks, Davis Gaither was a 4th). Not typical of the Bengals to select a LB earlier, at least not during the Taylor regime. 

28 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'll be concerned if he doesnt weigh at the combine or his proday, otherwise this is a "meh" for me.

Kinda same... he's actually very agile for a big fat guy, but he comes with some risk. Weight is one concern. He plays high for an interior guy. His last year was his best year, for sure, which is promising.

I wouldn't take him in round one, but depending on what the Bengals do in FA and what needs they have, I'd consider it in day 2. But he's got some Terrance Cody to him, which isn't exactly a compliment. Ravens picked him and he pretty much washed out. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, texbengal said:

Kinda same... he's actually very agile for a big fat guy, but he comes with some risk. Weight is one concern. He plays high for an interior guy. His last year was his best year, for sure, which is promising.

I wouldn't take him in round one, but depending on what the Bengals do in FA and what needs they have, I'd consider it in day 2. But he's got some Terrance Cody to him, which isn't exactly a compliment. Ravens picked him and he pretty much washed out. 

I was watching Joe Goodberry's review of Byron Murphy, he talked a little about Sweat, said Murphy played the NT at Texas but that Sweat has the build for it. Good watch.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

Somebody better start thinking about LB as well considering we currently only have two on the roster. It’s definitely a need. 

Do either of our backers ever blitz?

Like to add a blitzing cover type.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Do either of our backers ever blitz?

Like to add a blitzing cover type.

Sometimes. Really thought that ADG would get used more in that role... he didn't make much of an impact, and I'm guessing he will go elsewhere to get more playing time. He's a good ST player but didn't carve much of a role on D. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

A beast..

Doubt he's there when we draft

but if he is we have our RT for the future.

One person's opinion but I heard Daniel Jeremiah this morning (NFL Network)) that he thinks there could be 7 or even 8 Ts drafted in the first round. Said if you have needs at OL or WR or one other position (QB, maybe? I forget), it's a good draft. 

• Upvote 1

Here's an article from the Athletic re: some OL coming out in the draft. Duke Manyweather has a training facility for OL here in the Dallas area, and he's plugged into the league. A number of draft hopefuls train with him, but he also has veteran players working out there, too. 

+++++

Duke Manyweather breaks down Olu Fashanu, Amarius Mims, other top O-line prospects

COLLEGE PARK, MARYLAND - NOVEMBER 04: Olumuyiwa Fashanu #74 of the Penn State Nittany Lions blocks against the Maryland Terrapins at SECU Stadium on November 04, 2023 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images)
By Dane Brugler
Jan 30, 2024

FRISCO, Texas — Outside of the 50,000-square-foot Sports Academy at the Star facility, across the street from Dallas Cowboys headquarters, Hall of Famer Steve Hutchinson puts a group of offensive line prospects through drills on a truncated turf field.

It’s just another January day at OL Masterminds, which has become one of the premier training options for offensive linemen. Under the tutelage of Duke Manyweather, NFL prospects here have an opportunity to better understand their craft — mentally, physically and technically — as they start the NFL Draft process.

This year, Manyweather has 18 NFL Draft hopefuls under his tutelage. The group includes several projected first-rounders, as well as a few late-round sleepers (more on those guys later). While I was in Frisco for the East-West Shrine Bowl, I visited OL Masterminds and sat down with Manyweather to pick his brain on a few of his 2024 NFL Draft pupils.

Here’s some of his analysis:

Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State

Fashanu is the top NFL prospect on the OL Masterminds’ roster this year, and he’s also the top-ranked offensive lineman in this draft for several teams. How does he stack up against some of the other highly drafted linemen who’ve worked with Manyweather ahead of recent drafts, like Rashawn Slater, Creed Humphrey, Tyler Smith and Peter Skoronski?

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think he’s right up there at the top, in terms of total package,” Manyweather said. “He reminds me of two guys. Physically, he reminds me of Tyron Smith. His demeanor and mindset, in terms of being cerebral and being an elite thinker, remind me of Rashawn Slater. Their makeup is very similar in that regard.”

The feedback from NFL scouts on Fashanu is a little split, which says more about the high-end talent at the position than the Penn State prospect himself. But Manyweather was encouraged by Fashanu’s development this season.

“I saw him make a jump in his run blocking, especially when you throw on the Michigan tape,” Manyweather said. “He had one rough game versus Ohio State, and that was more of a communication and eye-discipline issue and how it relates to picking up twists and different pressures. But that’s all coachable and fixable. I think his best football is ahead of him.”

OL-masterminds-scaled.jpg

The entrance to the Sports Academy at the Star. (Dane Brugler / The Athletic)

Zach Frazier, G/C, West Virginia

Watching Frazier crawl off the field with a broken leg in the final minutes of the Mountaineers’ 2023 regular-season finale was an indelible scene. It was also tough because most assumed the injury would sideline Frazier, several NFL teams’ top-ranked center prospect, for most or all of the draft process.

During my visit, I asked Manyweather how Frazier’s rehab was going. He pointed toward a treadmill in the facility’s training room and said, “See for yourself.” There, Frazier was running without a limp or hesitation — only nine weeks out from a major injury.

“Our whole approach is to be aggressive in treatment and aggressive in recovery while still being smart and cautious in terms of volume exposure,” Manyweather said. “Our aggressive approach and rehab modalities have allowed for great progressions, and we’re optimistic for what (Frazier) can do at the Senior Bowl and combine.”

Frazier will attend the Senior Bowl, but he’s not fully cleared to practice or play in Saturday’s all-star game. He will be able to meet with NFL teams and show off the progress he’s made in his injury recovery.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Manyweather’s opinion, the first center selected in April will be either Frazier or Oregon’s Jackson Powers-Johnson.

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

“Oh man, we haven’t even scratched the surface with this guy,” Manyweather said, chuckling.

With his size, length and movement skills. Mims is a one-of-one type of player. He looks and moves differently than just about everyone else at the facility. But with only eight career college starts, his body of work doesn’t match the raw traits.

For Manyweather and his team, Mims’ training is about building a complementary skill set to match his unbelievable physical gifts.

“He’s so freaky and young,” Manyweather said. “But he’s also a smart football guy with a strong work ethic. We want to lay a groundwork of fundamentals and tools that will stay with them in any situation that they go to in the pros. I want guys to understand their superhero powers and build around that.

“And Mims has a lot of that — a lot to build around with what he has already.”

Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State

When I asked Manyweather whose athleticism at the combine will open the most eyes, he didn’t hesitate to mention Beebe: “I think we all know what he is as a run blocker and (about) his consistency in pass blocking, but his testing is going to surprise some people.”

Beebe played this past season at around 340 pounds but is down to the 325-330 range and looked fluid during drills. With 48 career starts across three different positions, he has an impressive collegiate resume — and Manyweather noted that experience really shows up during workouts and in the classroom.

“Demeanor-wise, he has that calm-cool-collectedness similar to Zack Martin,” Manyweather said. “I’m not saying he is Zack, but I look for personality traits with these guys. How they carry themselves tells you a lot about how they can handle situations. I see that with Cooper.”

Cooper was the Jacksonville Jaguars’ pick at No. 48 in my most recent mock draft.

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

In terms of size and length, Paul is one of the most impressive players in the 2024 NFL Draft. At 6-foot-7 and 310 pounds, he has ridiculous arm length (36 1/4 inches) and wingspan (86 3/4 inches) and has always relied on his length to out-leverage opponents. But it won’t be that easy in the NFL, so Paul has been focusing on the fundamentals in Frisco.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Stance and hands were the biggest things we wanted to work on with Patrick,” Manyweather said. “(We’re) getting these guys to understand that the more you can do with your hands, the better. It starts with a great stance because effective hand usage comes from efficient feet — and you can’t have efficient feet if you don’t have a functional stance. That was the starting point for us with Patrick.”

Paul will be in Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl, and it will be interesting to see if the focus-on-fundamentals approach starts to show during one-on-one drills.

Brandon Coleman, OT/G, TCU

Who is the biggest freak among Manyweather’s 2024 group? Coleman was the first name he mentioned.

“Athletic testing-wise, he’s going to be impressive,” Manyweather said. “To tell you what type of athlete he is, I think he could legitimately have a shot at playing small forward in the NBA.”

Coleman (6-4 1/2, 320) had some second-round buzz among NFL scouts over the summer, but his 2023 tape was a little up-and-down as he battled through ankle and knee issues. Despite his injuries, he started all but one game this season, which speaks to his toughness.

“He was really banged-up but found a way to get the job done, and that’s a characteristic that will translate to the NFL,” Manyweather said. “Finding a way to get the job done when not 100 percent is what Sunday football is all about.”

Having played both tackle and guard in college, Coleman has the mental makeup to handle either spot at the next level, according to Manyweather. But he added that it would be “hard to pass” on keeping him at left tackle with his type of ability.

Elijah Klein, G, UTEP

Who’s the OL Masterminds draft sleeper? It’s Klein, who according to Manyweather is “one of the biggest sleepers in the draft,” not just at the Frisco facility.

“You turn on the Middle Tennessee tape, the Northwestern tape, he did some nice things on the Arizona tape,” Manyweather said. “He didn’t get invited to any all-star games, but I’ll bet he is an NFL starter early on.”

Klein (6-4, 318), a late call-up to the East-West Shrine Bowl roster this week, saw action at left and right tackle. He was at his best, however, at right guard — even while battling a high ankle sprain this season. He was outstanding as a pass protector and even better as a run blocker.

“Honestly, I talk to a lot of teams and I know when they dismiss certain things,” Manyweather added. “It happened with Colby Sorsdal last year, and I get that feeling with Klein this year — people not doing enough due diligence.”

The Detroit Lions selected Sorsdal, a William & Mary product, in Round 5.

Manyweather also mentioned South Dakota State’s Mason McCormick (and his 57 career starts) as another sleeper in this draft class.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Here's an article from the Athletic re: some OL coming out in the draft. Duke Manyweather has a training facility for OL here in the Dallas area, and he's plugged into the league. A number of draft hopefuls train with him, but he also has veteran players working out there, too. 

+++++

Duke Manyweather breaks down Olu Fashanu, Amarius Mims, other top O-line prospects

COLLEGE PARK, MARYLAND - NOVEMBER 04: Olumuyiwa Fashanu #74 of the Penn State Nittany Lions blocks against the Maryland Terrapins at SECU Stadium on November 04, 2023 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by G Fiume/Getty Images)
By Dane Brugler
Jan 30, 2024

FRISCO, Texas — Outside of the 50,000-square-foot Sports Academy at the Star facility, across the street from Dallas Cowboys headquarters, Hall of Famer Steve Hutchinson puts a group of offensive line prospects through drills on a truncated turf field.

It’s just another January day at OL Masterminds, which has become one of the premier training options for offensive linemen. Under the tutelage of Duke Manyweather, NFL prospects here have an opportunity to better understand their craft — mentally, physically and technically — as they start the NFL Draft process.

This year, Manyweather has 18 NFL Draft hopefuls under his tutelage. The group includes several projected first-rounders, as well as a few late-round sleepers (more on those guys later). While I was in Frisco for the East-West Shrine Bowl, I visited OL Masterminds and sat down with Manyweather to pick his brain on a few of his 2024 NFL Draft pupils.

Here’s some of his analysis:

Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State

Fashanu is the top NFL prospect on the OL Masterminds’ roster this year, and he’s also the top-ranked offensive lineman in this draft for several teams. How does he stack up against some of the other highly drafted linemen who’ve worked with Manyweather ahead of recent drafts, like Rashawn Slater, Creed Humphrey, Tyler Smith and Peter Skoronski?

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think he’s right up there at the top, in terms of total package,” Manyweather said. “He reminds me of two guys. Physically, he reminds me of Tyron Smith. His demeanor and mindset, in terms of being cerebral and being an elite thinker, remind me of Rashawn Slater. Their makeup is very similar in that regard.”

The feedback from NFL scouts on Fashanu is a little split, which says more about the high-end talent at the position than the Penn State prospect himself. But Manyweather was encouraged by Fashanu’s development this season.

“I saw him make a jump in his run blocking, especially when you throw on the Michigan tape,” Manyweather said. “He had one rough game versus Ohio State, and that was more of a communication and eye-discipline issue and how it relates to picking up twists and different pressures. But that’s all coachable and fixable. I think his best football is ahead of him.”

OL-masterminds-scaled.jpg

The entrance to the Sports Academy at the Star. (Dane Brugler / The Athletic)

Zach Frazier, G/C, West Virginia

Watching Frazier crawl off the field with a broken leg in the final minutes of the Mountaineers’ 2023 regular-season finale was an indelible scene. It was also tough because most assumed the injury would sideline Frazier, several NFL teams’ top-ranked center prospect, for most or all of the draft process.

During my visit, I asked Manyweather how Frazier’s rehab was going. He pointed toward a treadmill in the facility’s training room and said, “See for yourself.” There, Frazier was running without a limp or hesitation — only nine weeks out from a major injury.

“Our whole approach is to be aggressive in treatment and aggressive in recovery while still being smart and cautious in terms of volume exposure,” Manyweather said. “Our aggressive approach and rehab modalities have allowed for great progressions, and we’re optimistic for what (Frazier) can do at the Senior Bowl and combine.”

Frazier will attend the Senior Bowl, but he’s not fully cleared to practice or play in Saturday’s all-star game. He will be able to meet with NFL teams and show off the progress he’s made in his injury recovery.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Manyweather’s opinion, the first center selected in April will be either Frazier or Oregon’s Jackson Powers-Johnson.

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

“Oh man, we haven’t even scratched the surface with this guy,” Manyweather said, chuckling.

With his size, length and movement skills. Mims is a one-of-one type of player. He looks and moves differently than just about everyone else at the facility. But with only eight career college starts, his body of work doesn’t match the raw traits.

For Manyweather and his team, Mims’ training is about building a complementary skill set to match his unbelievable physical gifts.

“He’s so freaky and young,” Manyweather said. “But he’s also a smart football guy with a strong work ethic. We want to lay a groundwork of fundamentals and tools that will stay with them in any situation that they go to in the pros. I want guys to understand their superhero powers and build around that.

“And Mims has a lot of that — a lot to build around with what he has already.”

Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State

When I asked Manyweather whose athleticism at the combine will open the most eyes, he didn’t hesitate to mention Beebe: “I think we all know what he is as a run blocker and (about) his consistency in pass blocking, but his testing is going to surprise some people.”

Beebe played this past season at around 340 pounds but is down to the 325-330 range and looked fluid during drills. With 48 career starts across three different positions, he has an impressive collegiate resume — and Manyweather noted that experience really shows up during workouts and in the classroom.

“Demeanor-wise, he has that calm-cool-collectedness similar to Zack Martin,” Manyweather said. “I’m not saying he is Zack, but I look for personality traits with these guys. How they carry themselves tells you a lot about how they can handle situations. I see that with Cooper.”

Cooper was the Jacksonville Jaguars’ pick at No. 48 in my most recent mock draft.

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

In terms of size and length, Paul is one of the most impressive players in the 2024 NFL Draft. At 6-foot-7 and 310 pounds, he has ridiculous arm length (36 1/4 inches) and wingspan (86 3/4 inches) and has always relied on his length to out-leverage opponents. But it won’t be that easy in the NFL, so Paul has been focusing on the fundamentals in Frisco.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Stance and hands were the biggest things we wanted to work on with Patrick,” Manyweather said. “(We’re) getting these guys to understand that the more you can do with your hands, the better. It starts with a great stance because effective hand usage comes from efficient feet — and you can’t have efficient feet if you don’t have a functional stance. That was the starting point for us with Patrick.”

Paul will be in Mobile, Ala., for the Senior Bowl, and it will be interesting to see if the focus-on-fundamentals approach starts to show during one-on-one drills.

Brandon Coleman, OT/G, TCU

Who is the biggest freak among Manyweather’s 2024 group? Coleman was the first name he mentioned.

“Athletic testing-wise, he’s going to be impressive,” Manyweather said. “To tell you what type of athlete he is, I think he could legitimately have a shot at playing small forward in the NBA.”

Coleman (6-4 1/2, 320) had some second-round buzz among NFL scouts over the summer, but his 2023 tape was a little up-and-down as he battled through ankle and knee issues. Despite his injuries, he started all but one game this season, which speaks to his toughness.

“He was really banged-up but found a way to get the job done, and that’s a characteristic that will translate to the NFL,” Manyweather said. “Finding a way to get the job done when not 100 percent is what Sunday football is all about.”

Having played both tackle and guard in college, Coleman has the mental makeup to handle either spot at the next level, according to Manyweather. But he added that it would be “hard to pass” on keeping him at left tackle with his type of ability.

Elijah Klein, G, UTEP

Who’s the OL Masterminds draft sleeper? It’s Klein, who according to Manyweather is “one of the biggest sleepers in the draft,” not just at the Frisco facility.

“You turn on the Middle Tennessee tape, the Northwestern tape, he did some nice things on the Arizona tape,” Manyweather said. “He didn’t get invited to any all-star games, but I’ll bet he is an NFL starter early on.”

Klein (6-4, 318), a late call-up to the East-West Shrine Bowl roster this week, saw action at left and right tackle. He was at his best, however, at right guard — even while battling a high ankle sprain this season. He was outstanding as a pass protector and even better as a run blocker.

“Honestly, I talk to a lot of teams and I know when they dismiss certain things,” Manyweather added. “It happened with Colby Sorsdal last year, and I get that feeling with Klein this year — people not doing enough due diligence.”

The Detroit Lions selected Sorsdal, a William & Mary product, in Round 5.

Manyweather also mentioned South Dakota State’s Mason McCormick (and his 57 career starts) as another sleeper in this draft class.

Manyweather is a teaching guru.

Best remember wat he says.