One of my buddies is a Georgia (and Cowboys) fan so I asked about Mimms and McConkey this is what he said.

"I wish they'd both go to Dallas. Amarius is a fantastic tackle and he's huge. He'll definitely protect the QB. Ladd is a guy who really wanted to go to Tennessee but couldn't get an offer to power 5 schools. At the last minute in his recruiting someone showed Kirby Smart his video and he was absolutely demolishing defensive backs trying to guard him. Kirby brought him in and he contributed right away. You just can't keep a guy off the field who's always open. His route running is top notch."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

One of my buddies is a Georgia (and Cowboys) fan so I asked about Mimms and McConkey this is what he said.

"I wish they'd both go to Dallas. Amarius is a fantastic tackle and he's huge. He'll definitely protect the QB. Ladd is a guy who really wanted to go to Tennessee but couldn't get an offer to power 5 schools. At the last minute in his recruiting someone showed Kirby Smart his video and he was absolutely demolishing defensive backs trying to guard him. Kirby brought him in and he contributed right away. You just can't keep a guy off the field who's always open. His route running is top notch."

Seems like a Charlie Jones clone but I could be wrong

3 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Seems like a Charlie Jones clone but I could be wrong

I asked if he was a slot or an outside, waiting to hear back. Jones was an outside guy at Perdue. From initial reading of one scouting report it sounds like McConkey is a guy that they put all over the field.

• Upvote 1

From my buddy 

"He's more of a slot or Y receiver. He knows the entire route tree and can go anywhere."

That's the limitation with Jones, because he was an outside guy he has to learn how to play inside. If we draft McConkey he can be ready right away where Jones is still learning the rest of the route tree.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

From my buddy 

"He's more of a slot or Y receiver. He knows the entire route tree and can go anywhere."

That's the limitation with Jones, because he was an outside guy he has to learn how to play inside. If we draft McConkey he can be ready right away where Jones is still learning the rest of the route tree.

yes but he’s played both  slot and outside… fun to watch. He’s not real big and he got hurt some at UGA. But he can run and has solid hands. 

I loved Jones coming out of Purdue and you do wonder how different the two guys are. Neither are hella big, but both are versatile players who can run jet sweeps, etc. Bengals did that with Charlie at the end of the year, and McConkey was a bit of a chess piece at UGA. Charlie had some injury issues but as someone also said, he was more of an outside guy at Purdue and even Troy Walters (Lap interview) indicated that Charlie needs to get bigger and stronger. Just think there are bigger needs than WR, especially if Tee re-signs. 

it’s trenches and DB for me on days 1&2… ‘course, we’ll have to see what happens with FA, etc. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, texbengal said:

yes but he’s played both  slot and outside… fun to watch. He’s not real big and he got hurt some at UGA. But he can run and has solid hands. 

I loved Jones coming out of Purdue and you do wonder how different the two guys are. Neither are hella big, but both are versatile players who can run jet sweeps, etc. Bengals did that with Charlie at the end of the year, and McConkey was a bit of a chess piece at UGA. Charlie had some injury issues but as someone also said, he was more of an outside guy at Purdue and even Troy Walters (Lap interview) indicated that Charlie needs to get bigger and stronger. Just think there are bigger needs than WR, especially if Tee re-signs. 

it’s trenches and DB for me on days 1&2… ‘course, we’ll have to see what happens with FA, etc. 

Agree..

Trenches and Corner.

McConkey looks like a decent slot but Bengals have other pressing needs.

His 4.59 forty is slow..

• Upvote 1

On one of the draft sites I was reaging up on the RT's - they noted Mims is strong at pass blocking but still learning run blocking whereas Faugua (sp) is strong at run blocking but still learning pass blocking. 

Several sites have Kingsley Suamataia (OT, BYU) rising and Brugler has him going at #27 in round one in his two round mock. Note, he played this past season at LT but the previous sason at RT. 

And an indication of the overall need for OL in the league, in his first round mock, Bruglar has 11 OL taken. His mocvks tend to go more by position need then by his own ranking. Eseentially, OL is like QB now - can get a bit over-drafted due to shortage of good ones. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

On one of the draft sites I was reaging up on the RT's - they noted Mims is strong at pass blocking but still learning run blocking whereas Faugua (sp) is strong at run blocking but still learning pass blocking. 

Several sites have Kingsley Suamataia (OT, BYU) rising and Brugler has him going at #27 in round one in his two round mock. Note, he played this past season at LT but the previous sason at RT. 

And an indication of the overall need for OL in the league, in his first round mock, Bruglar has 11 OL taken. His mocvks tend to go more by position need then by his own ranking. Eseentially, OL is like QB now - can get a bit over-drafted due to shortage of good ones. 

Sounds like expecting a rookie OL to immediately play at a high level is unrealistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Mock Draft Monday.

team-logoCIN

pfn-logo

OT Alabama

DT Texas

WR Western Kentucky

DT LSU

OC Michigan

TE Colorado State

LB Wisconsin

S Arkansas

RB Georgia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Coming around to taking Mims?

The Bengals only have one Georgia product currently on the roster, and that one is hanging onto the back end of the roster by his fingernails. Cincinnati puts so much stock into drafting character, and the Georgia program has been under a lot of scrutiny the last few years. The Georgia program has produced a top of ton of physical talent to the NFL in the last few years after back-to-back national championships, but some teams seem wary of their prospects. The whispers are there about character within the Georgia program. Always interesting to see where prospects are media mocked from mostly nothing beyond game film to where they are actually selected.

In the 2023 draft Jalen Carter and Broderick Jones all went off the board a little later than projected. Nolan Smith dropped to the end of the 1st round. Darnell Washington and Kelee Ringo were getting 1st round mock buzz only be selected in the 3rd and 4th rounds. The 2022 draft also produced some curious Georgia prospects lasting longer on boards than predicted. Some teams seem to go out of their way to avoid drafting Georgia players while a few playoff teams (Eagles/Stealers/Packers) show no hesitation about drafting Georgia products. In fact, they often seem to move up in the draft to take Georgia players they deem to be falling below actual value.

• Like 1