2 hours ago, texbengal said:

Daniel Jeremiah's Top 50:

Knowing the traits the Bengals like to draft, and their needs, if I was guessing the pick at 18 right now I would say one of these 4 players ...

IMG_20240131_003443.jpg

IMG_20240131_003456.jpg

IMG_20240131_003755.jpg

IMG_20240131_003428.jpg

- I think Guyton gets the edge over Mims as he's more of a pure pass blocker. 

- Rakestraw plays with juice like CTB.

- Murphy I think becomes the star of the combine 

- BTj is your Tee clone and replacement. 

• Upvote 1

Can't convince myself they'll go OL in the first round again.  The last 3 times they got Jonah(11), Ogbuehi(21), and Billy Price(21).  Zeitler(27) was solid but then the last OL 1st rounder before him was Andre Smith(6 :FeelsBad-min:)

Think they may have given up on it at 1/5, plus a swing & a miss with Carman in the 2nd.

Also kinda LOL at this being a Frank Pollack problem given the history.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

He is the next Shelvin 

24 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Unless he shows some kind of rare traits for a guy that size at the combine/pro day, I tend to agree. 

Mike Renner said in this that he has a bias against Nose Tackles, and still says he is in "awe" of what Sweat can do. Start it at 10:46, he put Sweat as his #2 DT even with this bias against Nose Taclkes. Said he is the best NT coming out since Vita Vea.

Hell PFF has him rated the highest-rated DT

https://www.pff.com/college/grades/position/di

Not every "fat guy" is a mid-round "have to worry about him managing his weight" type like Shelvin was.

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Honestly I just want to sign Christian Wilkins and not have to worry about it until the mid rounds. 😁

If Reader isnt back I sign WIlkins and still draft Sweat. We could have the old Jaguars D when Henderson and Stroud played next to each other. Put Tre and Sam on the ends and we go from last aginst the run to near the top IMHO.

16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If Reader isnt back I sign WIlkins and still draft Sweat. We could have the old Jaguars D when Henderson and Stroud played next to each other. Put Tre and Sam on the ends and we go from last aginst the run to near the top IMHO.

Highly unlikely Reader is "back" before the draft.  Best to assume he's gone forever as far as planning goes.  If they do work out a deal & he comes back strong that's nothing but a good problem.  Just like at RT they really need to sign a FA and not just pray for a rookie to step in without any issues.

I don't think we need to worry about having too many good players.  They'll find a way to get them on the field or at worst trade somebody.  A rookie should be competing with Ford or Tupou etc for a roster spot, not penciled in as a starter 3 months before the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Highly unlikely Reader is "back" before the draft.  Best to assume he's gone forever as far as planning goes.  If they do work out a deal & he comes back strong that's nothing but a good problem.  Just like at RT they really need to sign a FA and not just pray for a rookie to step in without any issues.

Don't disagree, I'm just not sold that this year's FA's at RT are guys worth anything but a rental. It's just not a very good class.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Don't disagree, I'm just not sold that this year's FA's at RT are guys worth anything but a rental. It's just not a very good class.

Rental is exactly what they need, assuming they intend to draft one of the top OT's & don't fumble it again.  Basically a cheaper Jonah who accepts that he's actually a borderline starter and not a franchise LT.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T-Dub said:

Rental is exactly what they need, assuming they intend to draft one of the top OT's & don't fumble it again.

What I worry about is they go get a Rieley Reiff type and think they are set and not draft an OT at all.

Just now, Jamie_B said:

What I worry about is they go get a Rieley Reiff type and think they are set and not draft an OT at all.

Or bring back Jonah.  Certainly a strong possibility.

I would hope at this point they've given up on the idea of building an OL out of spare parts, yet...

Just now, T-Dub said:

Or bring back Jonah.  Certainly a strong possibility.

I would hope at this point they've given up on the idea of building an OL out of spare parts, yet...

I hope not. I was a defender of Jonah when we were drafting Chase, as he had played his best season and seemed to be on the upward trend. But at this point, I think he is who he is. A very average tackle, in this division we have to get better.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope not. I was a defender of Jonah when we were drafting Chase, as he had played his best season and seemed to be on the upward trend. But at this point, I think he is who he is. A very average tackle, in this division we have to get better.

Don't hate the guy, as a 6th swing OT he'd be awesome and I'd be happy to see him stick around in that role. I don't think he's ready to accept that yet, which is unfortunate but very understandable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Don't hate the guy, as a 6th swing OT he'd be awesome and I'd be happy to see him stick around in that role. I don't think he's ready to accept that yet, which is unfortunate but very understandable.

Also with the market being what the market is, I think someone is going to pay him. I just hope it's not us.