Bengals have 10 draft picks. Another 4th or whatever is not a big difference. 

At this point Browning has more value as a very cheap (nearly free) backup QB who can win some games if there's an injury. That's invaluable. 

I would keep his rights for the next 2 years and then let him leave for his payday. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JC said:

I can’t find the final ADOT but he was not pushing the ball down the field. I can’t imagine the ADOT got much better post Vikings game. Probably hovered right around that 6.2 mark.

Could he be a dollar store Purdy? Maybe. But at the same time - there aren’t many teams in the NFL set up like the 9ers or Bengals offensively for that matter.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

All 3 of those guys are living off 1st round hype. Browning put up actual results. Whether that means anything or not to GMs who knows, but there is always a team that misses out on the 1st round QB come draft time that might be looking. 

What do u think Bengals would take for him?

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

No idea

Nor I.

Id listen to offers though.

BJ and others have made a good point on JB injuries and Browning knowing the system and having the timing with this set of receivers here is valuable.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That’s all hypothetical.  What we do know is that all of the recent QB trades have been for very little return.  I’m sure there will be more moves during or after the draft.  Very unlikely Browning is moved or would get much in a trade.  The market just isn’t there.

If you're referring to Fields or Jones, then sure. They are seen as busts so they don't have a lot of value. Browning is seen as a guy who got his shot and unlike Dobbs was able to sustain success. That makes him a more viable starting QB than say Stidham. 

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If you're referring to Fields or Jones, then sure. They are seen as busts so they don't have a lot of value. Browning is seen as a guy who got his shot and unlike Dobbs was able to sustain success. That makes him a more viable starting QB than say Stidham. 

Yeah I’m not sure the league sees it that way.  Browning played less than half a season and was above average overall.  He was good in a few games (JAX, IND, MIN) and not so good in a few others (both PIT games, KC).  Bengals fans didn’t expect much and he was a pleasant surprise.  If anything, guys like Fields and Pickett are seen as more talented and that inflated their trade values, which ended up being late Day 3 picks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 4:03 PM, sparky151 said:

just because you think he's worth something, doesnt mean anyone will pay up that. 

i am sure if someone offered a mid  2nd for him they would listen, 

to me he is more worth as a back up QB, and its  not worth giving up for a 3rd or lower 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:42 PM, BlackJesus said:

Finally 😢

Since when? They replaced a bad RT that started every game with a better RT that's only managed to do that once in the last 5 years. That's not exactly a solution.

3 hours ago, stryker57 said:

just because you think he's worth something, doesnt mean anyone will pay up that. 

to me he is more worth as a back up QB, and its  not worth giving up for a 3rd or lower 

If there's one thing we know about the NFL, it's that QB-needy teams will pay, either for hope (Zach Wilson and Trey Lance were top 3 picks) or even more so for production, ie Kirk Cousins 45 mil deal. If the Bengals were willing to trade Browning, he would be worth at least a 3rd round pick and maybe a 2nd. Some team is likely to take Penix before then and he didn't break Browning's career records at U Dub and has never played a snap in the NFL. While Browning has played at an above average level when given the chance. Nobody is going to hold it against Jake that he didn't beat out Burrow for the starting job. But all known evidence is that he's one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

If there's one thing we know about the NFL, it's that QB-needy teams will pay, either for hope (Zach Wilson and Trey Lance were top 3 picks) or even more so for production, ie Kirk Cousins 45 mil deal. If the Bengals were willing to trade Browning, he would be worth at least a 3rd round pick and maybe a 2nd. Some team is likely to take Penix before then and he didn't break Browning's career records at U Dub and has never played a snap in the NFL. While Browning has played at an above average level when given the chance. Nobody is going to hold it against Jake that he didn't beat out Burrow for the starting job. But all known evidence is that he's one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL.

It seems they'd rather keep an insurance policy in case Burrow gets hurt than risk it trying to get better players so he doesn't get hurt.  Pretty much how they operate in general.

I don't think the Bengals are shopping Jake at all. But if someone called about him, they should set a price. Remember when they almost fleeced Hue and the Browns into paying a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron? I think a second round pick or quality starter at another position would be a fair price for Browning. Another team isn't going to acquire him to be their backup, it would be to start for them. At the moment, Denver looks like the team least able to upgrade it's QB room in the draft. They don't have the capital to move to the top 4 and picking Nix or Penix in round 1 would be a big reach. They could wait for a Pratt or Rattler but Browning is a better option than any of those guys. 

46 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think the Bengals are shopping Jake at all. But if someone called about him, they should set a price. Remember when they almost fleeced Hue and the Browns into paying a 2nd and 3rd for McCarron? I think a second round pick or quality starter at another position would be a fair price for Browning. Another team isn't going to acquire him to be their backup, it would be to start for them. At the moment, Denver looks like the team least able to upgrade it's QB room in the draft. They don't have the capital to move to the top 4 and picking Nix or Penix in round 1 would be a big reach. They could wait for a Pratt or Rattler but Browning is a better option than any of those guys. 

I don't think they are either but Minchew is the starting QB in Vegas and they don't have a high enough pick to get a guy. I'd offer them Jake for their 2nd.

Seems to me they're afraid to risk trading Browning. They'd be giving up the opportunity to go 9-8 if wide zone concepts send Burrow to IR again. Seems kind of silly but 9-8 does keep butts in seats/eyes on TV better than 5-12.  That's the only reason I can see for keeping a 2nd string QB instead of trying to flip him for a starter.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Seems to me they're afraid to risk trading Browning. They'd be giving up the opportunity to go 9-8 if wide zone concepts send Burrow to IR again. Seems kind of silly but 9-8 does keep butts in seats/eyes on TV better than 5-12.  That's the only reason I can see for keeping a 2nd string QB instead of trying to flip him for a starter.

You're probably right. It's not as if Jake saved coach's jobs or anything like that but they are comfortable with the idea of him being the backup for 3 more years before he's a free agent. If they keep him on 1 year deals, then they'll give him the RFA first round tag in the 2026 offseason.

If the team wanted to reward someone for outplaying their contract, Browning would be a better candidate than Sample. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Before free agency I thought a trade of Browning for Michael Mayer would make sense for both teams. Still wouldn't hate the idea. 

I dont hate this idea either, but I doubt they would do that.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:46 PM, stryker57 said:

Exactly right.  I guess repeating speculation enough times makes it true.  Like George Constanza said, it’s not a lie if YOU believe it.