Always a few guys at each position that end up being good in the pros but aren't really on the media radar, usually because they're not at one of the football factory schools.

Unfortunately for us they tend to get scooped up by teams with good scouting departments. 

There are always some good athletes to be found at lower division schools. But we're a long ways from Kenny Anderson of Augustana. I'm generally in favor of using at least picks in rounds 1-5 for FBS guys, mostly from the power 5. They're easier to evaluate as at least a few of their games each year they'll face future NFL opponents.

The OT from Northern Michigan who blew up the RAS last year hasn't been heard from in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Murphy and Newton are 3Ts and we have a pair of them already. There aren't any NTs worthy of day 1 selection. Sweat is probably the only one for day 2, unless you want Jenkins at NT at 300 lbs. There are several who will go on day 3. 

NT is the immediate need but with BJ Hill a FA next year too, I don't think we can say 3 Tech is off the table either.

56 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

we're a long ways from Kenny Anderson of Augustana.

... A case can be made for not even drafting outside of the SEC, Big 10, or College Football Playoff teams at this point. Especially in rounds 1-4. 

40 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

... A case can be made for not even drafting outside of the SEC, Big 10, or College Football Playoff teams at this point. Especially in rounds 1-4. 

Probably the smart move when your draft room is one big bowl of questionable coleslaw away from also serving as your family reunion.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

You can thank the transfer portal for that.  Anyone can play just about anywhere now and promising talent from the smaller conferences can be easily poached by the big names.  You also see guys switching between top programs, which was much more rare previously.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think RAS and production is good at all levels. the Toledo CB is probably a stud. 

Think the big difference is experience, that same CB coming from Auburn is probably more ready for the pro game.  How big a deal that is to the team depends on how much they trust their coaches.

If they think the OL coach has made a 4th round pick into a starting LG, maybe they don't feel pressed to take that OT in the first 2 rounds.  If on the other hand they think he's made Pro Bowl vets look like 4th round picks, well,.  that's a bigger problem when he's also your only dedicated OL scout and keeps mumbling to himself about wide zones and ketchup.

To put it bluntly I'm going to be both a little surprised and more than a little relieved if they do manage to draft a good long-term RT.  At this point I have to hope they're due for one at random, not so much by being more capable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1