Bengals Benefit from Jets' Free Agent Blunder

While defensive end Carl Lawson and the New York Jets part ways, the Cincinnati Bengals appear to have made the right decision to let their former fourth-round draft pick walk in free agency.

The results says that the Cincinnati Bengals chose wisely and the New York Jets chose poorly.

With defensive end Carl Lawson reaching the void year on the free-agent contract he signed back in 2021, one can only sit and wonder what could have been. By most accounts, Lawson's tenure as a Jet was a disappointment. Meanwhile, his replacement in Cincinnati thrived.

After signing a three-year deal worth $45 million, Lawson was reportedly performing at a high level during his first training camp as a Jet until rupturing his Achilles in preseason practice. Missing the entire 2021 campaign, Lawson bounced back to start all 17 games and total 7.0 sacks in 2022.

Unable to carry any momentum over into the 2023 campaign, Lawson was bothered by a back injury in the preseason and slipped down the Jets' depth chart into irrelevance. The 28-year-old, who played only six games and made five tackles, was a healthy scratch on multiple occasions.

Instead of re-signing Lawson in 2021, the Bengals committed similar money to lure free agent defensive end Trey Hendrickson away from the New Orleans Saints. While Lawson logged 5.5 sacks in his contract year as a Bengal, Hendrickson was coming off 13.5 sacks over 15 games for the Saints.

New York secured Lawson's services for a $15 million average annual value and the Bengals inked Hendrickson to a four-year contract worth $60 million, according to Spotrac.

Earning three consecutive Pro Bowl nods since signing with the Bengals, Hendrickson has totaled 39.5 sacks over three seasons. He recorded 17.5 sacks in 2023, 7.5 more QB takedowns than Jets' team leader Bryce Huff.

Although bad luck is somewhat to blame, the Jets paid Lawson $6.43 million per sack over the course of a forgettable tenure. To say the Bengals received a much better return on investment is an understatement.

The Lawson over Hendrickson decision is arguably Joe Douglas's biggest blunder as Jets' general manager.

The good news is that it's hard to see the Jets spending substantial resources on a replacement for Lawson this offseason. New York has been deep at the defensive end position and that was before drafting Will McDonald in the first round last year. Starters Jermaine Johnson and John Franklin-Myers are still under contract, but the Jets may lose Huff to free agency.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/free-agency-cincinnati-bengals-trey-hendrickson-new-york-jets-carl-lawson

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Who is to say that NYJ were even targeting Trey? 

Maybe they should have…but I’m not getting the “blunder” thing? 

Yeah, that was all bad luck due to the injury.  The Bengals would be getting blasted if Trey had a similar injury and Lawson played well.  

• Upvote 1

Lol at the article… the Bengals “appear to” have made the right decision. No sh@t?  

I liked Lawson a lot as a player, but even back at Auburn, he got injured quite a bit and I’m sure that hurt(!)  his draft stock. And he got nicked some with the Bengals, too. No doubt, injuries definitely have luck involved… I mean, Chris Perry was a workhorse at Michigan, and he just couldn't stay healthy… but he was also Uber talented. And then there’s David Pollack, who was a machine at UGA, and he looked like he was gonna be a helluva pro, and we all know what happened to him.

But generally, I do believe that if a guy had injury issues in college, he’s more likely to have issues in the pros. I don’t have empirical evidence, it just seems that way to me. Lawson was one of those guys, and as “they” say, the most important ability is availability. 

I hope he latches on somewhere… he’s talented, and he’s a likable guy. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

Lol at the article… the Bengals “appear to” have made the right decision. No sh@t?  

I liked Lawson a lot as a player, but even back at Auburn, he got injured quite a bit and I’m sure that hurt(!)  his draft stock. And he got nicked some with the Bengals, too. No doubt, injuries definitely have luck involved… I mean, Chris Perry was a workhorse at Michigan, and he just couldn't stay healthy… but he was also Uber talented. And then there’s David Pollack, who was a machine at UGA, and he looked like he was gonna be a helluva pro, and we all know what happened to him.

But generally, I do believe that if a guy had injury issues in college, he’s more likely to have issues in the pros. I don’t have empirical evidence, it just seems that way to me. Lawson was one of those guys, and as “they” say, the most important ability is availability. 

I hope he latches on somewhere… he’s talented, and he’s a likable guy. 

Isn't Cam Sample a Lawson clone?

Close to??

37 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Isn't Cam Sample a Lawson clone?

Close to??

I think Lawson was a better athlete/more explosive, and more of a pure rusher… and Sample is a better run defender. I don’t remember how much Lawson weighed… I think he was mid-250s at Auburn and not much heavier with the Bengals. I think Sample is around 275. 

Sample has had some nicks and has missed some games, but Lawson has had a pretty major injury history… both in college and in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, texbengal said:

I think Lawson was a better athlete/more explosive, and more of a pure rusher… and Sample is a better run defender. I don’t remember how much Lawson weighed… I think he was mid-250s at Auburn and not much heavier with the Bengals. I think Sample is around 275. 

Sample has had some nicks and has missed some games, but Lawson has had a pretty major injury history… both in college and in the NFL.

Lawson. .6'2 265 lbs. 31 5 length .

Sample.. .6'3 267 lbs. .33 3 length 

10 y d splits close..

Slight edge to Lawson pass rush

Edge to Sample run game..

Sample stats healthy .

Lawson not so much .

Sample much cheaper than Lawson

• Like 1