Bengals mailbag: Where to turn in free agency?

Bengals mailbag: Where to turn in free agency?
January, 31, 2015
Jan 31
10:00
AM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- If you have been following along the past two weeks, you might have noticed where our Cincinnati Bengals blog took a daily look at the 15 pending free agents on the roster. The series concluded Friday.

Soon enough, free agency will be the talk of the offseason for the Bengals and the other 31 teams. But why wait for March? Those of you who follow the Bengals have questions about it right now. That's why we are using free agency as our jumping off point in this week's mailbag:

who is at the top of your FA list for Cincy?

@ColeyHarvey: Man, this is such a tough question to answer right now, Cincy. There is no telling exactly which potential unrestricted free agents around the league will become available. It's also unclear how the Bengals' own efforts with the free agents who spent 2014 with them will pan out. I will say this, though. Personally, I would put re-signing Clint Boling and Rey Maualuga atop the Bengals' free-agency concerns. Boling responded quite well to ACL surgery this season, and proved how versatile he can be as an offensive lineman who plays more than just left guard. He also has had a hand in Cincinnati's turnaround since 2011, and has been part of the foundation for a line that was one of the NFL's best this season. Maualuga ought to be in there, too, because of how truly valuable he proved to be in the run-stop game this season. He's had his share of ups and downs in six years as a Bengal, but with uncertainty about how Vontaze Burfict will bounce back from microfracture surgery, it's important to keep as much of a fragile linebacker corps together as possible. Who I'd target from the outside? I would focus on Cleveland tight end Jordan Cameron if he becomes available. That is, assuming the Bengals part with Jermaine Gresham. It's hard to see Buffalo letting defensive end Jerry Hughes walk, but he also would be atop my list. The Bengals are looking for pass-rush help, and he had 10 sacks in 2014.

Do you think the Bengals draft a TE in the first 3 or 4 rounds to compensate for the seemingly inevitable Gresham departure?

@ColeyHarvey: Though it seems likely to me that Gresham won't return, it might not be a foregone conclusion. I caught up with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson in Cincinnati the afternoon before he left for Super Bowl Week festivities in Arizona, and he didn't close the door on Gresham remaining a Bengal. Jackson said there was still a place for the embattled tight end in Cincinnati, but that it ultimately depends upon negotiations. Again, I still have my doubts, but you never know. Like I mentioned above, Cameron could make a good free-agent target at the position. But there also are a number of good tight ends in this draft class, so the Bengals might have to act quickly to take one. Can we safely say they do it in the first three or four rounds, though? No. Remember, Cincinnati likes to draft based off talent available. "Positional need" is secondary.

What is the staus of Tyler Eiefert

@ColeyHarvey: I can't tell if this is a joke or a legitimate question, Kevin. You'll have to forgive me. I'm still shell-shocked from the nonstop Tyler Eifert questions myself and other Bengals reporters received during the season, often at times when there was nothing to report on him. But here's the lowdown. He was one of three injured offensive players who coach Marvin Lewis said Thursday was "progressing well" from late-season surgery. Not only did he have surgery on his dislocated right elbow, but he also had surgery done on a shoulder to get him fully over an ailment that bugged him all last offseason and into the regular season. The day after the Bengals' playoff loss at Indianapolis, Eifert said he doubted he would participate much in minicamp in May, but he anticipated being healthy before training camp.

with claimed new tactic of aggressiveness in free agency, do you see contract restructuring happening to make room (Hall, etc)?

@ColeyHarvey: In case you missed it, Lewis earlier this offseason said the Bengals planned to be a little more aggressive in free agency, per directives from team president Mike Brown. Normally, the Bengals sit pat while other teams wheel and deal around them. They try hard to re-sign their own, but they don't often welcome many others into the fold. As far as restructuring contracts, Jim, the Bengals don't do it as much as most teams because of how front-loaded their contracts typically are with guaranteed money. Unless they are really trying to land a big fish, they might not need to restructure any contracts this season, Leon Hall's included, considering this year's salary cap could be close to $150 million. At about $118 million (with dead money factored in), according to NFL Players Association records, the Bengals would be in great shape if the cap hits estimates.

Top draft choice?

@ColeyHarvey: I've got a few who I'll be keeping my eye on as the Bengals get ready for the No. 21 pick. Here are a couple of names I could see the Bengals exploring during the pre-draft process given their apparent needs at defensive end, offensive tackle and receiver: DE Dante Fowler Jr. (Florida), DE/OLB Bud Dupree (Kentucky), WR Devin Smith (Ohio State), WR Phillip Dorsett (Miami FL), WR Jaelen Strong (Arizona State), OT Andrus Peat (Stanford), and OT Ereck Flowers (Miami FL). Each could be on the board around the 21st pick.

We saw Burkhead could be used as a utility player. Any chance next year they unleash a Burk/Gio/Hill Cerberus running attack?

@ColeyHarvey: I'll actually have a little bit more on this next week. But for now, let's say I do believe it's possible we'll see running back Rex Burkhead used a little more next season. Coaches have long liked him, and he definitely helped himself with strong play every time he touched the ball this season. He was a viable option as a slot receiver with A.J. Green and Gresham out of the playoff game at Indianapolis, and he has been a serviceable No. 3 or 4 back. I can't imagine his production will exponentially increase, but he should see more playing time in 2015..

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/15431/bengals-free-agency-where-turn-mailbag

Why don't fans treat Eifert like they did Chris Perry?

He is very injury prone and for a first round pick he's hasn't done much on the field, but most fans act like he's some Pro Bowl player. 

Part of the Chris Perry criticism (unfairly to him) is that we passed on a super durable stud in Steven Davis and ended up drafting glass joe.

Because Eifert produces when he is out there unlike Chrystal Perry.

In 05 didn't Perry have 52 catches or something like that?  You could probably double Eifert's career numbers and they don't equal that one season.  For the record I really like Eifert and think he could be a good player for us, but it's a valid question on why Perry was a villain/bust, but we cut Eifert so much slack.

Part of the Chris Perry criticism (unfairly to him) is that we passed on a super durable stud in Steven Davis and ended up drafting glass joe.

Great point.

In 05 didn't Perry have 52 catches or something like that?  You could probably double Eifert's career numbers and they don't equal that one season.  For the record I really like Eifert and think he could be a good player for us, but it's a valid question on why Perry was a villain/bust, but we cut Eifert so much slack.

Great point.

Yes, I looked it up.

2005 51 receptions for 328 yards...  two touchdowns and two fumbles

Career total 83 receptions for 474 yards and only the two TDs/Fumbles in 2005

Only one receptions longer than 20 yards, 28 longest gain

Rushing

606 yards total in career

Two touch downs, 5 Fumbles

Only two rushes for more than 20 yards, a 25 yard TD and a career record 30 yard run.

Yes, his four year career was marred  by injury

More objective look at Perry

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/4/8/2098672/bengals-draft-bust-6-chris-perry

For comparison

Chris Perry

2004: Played in 2 games

missed games 1-3 (hamstring strain), missed games 6-16 (sports hernia)

2005: Played in 14 games

missed games 14 & 15 (ankle injury)

2006: Played in 6 games

missed games 1-5 (PUP list-knee/ankle), missed games (12-16 ankle dislocation)

2007: Missed all 16 games (never was medically cleared)

2008: Played in 13 games

Benched from starters role after 6 weeks due to suckage

Totals for 5 seasons

Played in 35 out of 90 games (39%)

606 yards rushing 3.4ypc 2 rushing TDs

83 receptions 474 yards receiving 2 receiving TDs

Tyler Eifert

2013: Played in 15 games

missed game 16 (neck-stinger)

2014: Played in 1 game

missed games 2-16 (dislocated elbow/shoulder)

Totals for 2 seasons

Played in 16 out of 32 games (50%)

42 receptions 482 yards receiving 2 receiving TDs

For comparison

Chris Perry
2004: Played in 2 games
          missed games 1-3 (hamstring strain), missed games 6-16 (sports hernia)
2005: Played in 14 games
          missed games 14 & 15 (ankle injury)
2006: Played in 6 games
          missed games 1-5 (PUP list-knee/ankle), missed games (12-16 ankle dislocation)
2007: Missed all 16 games (never was medically cleared)
2008: Played in 13 games
          Benched from starters role after 6 weeks due to suckage
Totals for 5 seasons
Played in 35 out of 90 games (39%)
606 yards rushing 3.4ypc 2 rushing TDs
83 receptions 474 yards receiving 2 receiving TDs

Tyler Eifert
2013: Played in 15 games
          missed game 16 (neck-stinger)
2014: Played in 1 game
          missed games 2-16 (dislocated elbow/shoulder)
Totals for 2 seasons
Played in 16 out of 32 games (50%)
42 receptions 482 yards receiving 2 receiving TDs

Thanks for the numbers!

How would you guys rate the interior OL as run blockers? Zeitler looks good at times but otherwise I haven't noticed any of the 3 out there wrecking shit or anything.  Bodine did pretty well for a rookie.  I guess I don't see Boling as more than JAG.  I think we're still missing a Bobbie Williams-type road grader that can man up and knock a DT/DE off the ball without needing a double-team.

Archived