Did Bengals improve at slot receiver this offseason?

Did Bengals improve at slot receiver this offseason?

CINCINNATI -- It's that time of year. You know, that time when NFL offseason grades and rankings lists are all the rage.

Earlier this week, as a special for ESPN's Insider's team, Scott Kacsmar of Football Outsiders broke down the remaining weaknesses each team in the AFC North failed to address after free agency and the draft. His big takeaway for the Cincinnati Bengals? That they didn't improve at slot receiver.

On the surface, it's easy to agree with him. But it'll be interesting to see how creatively the Bengals use the players they currently have at the position.

Let's review what happened there this offseason.

Brandon Tate, an occasional slot player was believed to be headed out of town, ended up being re-signed during free agency. With injuries to other receivers last season, he was called upon more often as a pass-catcher than at any earlier point in his Bengals tenure. His 17 receptions and 27 targets were more than he had in any of his three previous seasons in Cincinnati.

Along with re-signing Tate, the Bengals brought to town one of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson's former draft picks. Speedster Denarius Moore's time in Oakland had ended, and Jackson believed he could help Moore recapture some of the success he had at the start of his career in 2011.

In the draft, the Bengals also selected a similarly quick seventh-round rookie out of West Virginia, Mario Alford. Like the others, Alford could line up anywhere, but it's likely he sees some action in the slot.

The Bengals also will be getting back a healthier Marvin Jones, who returns after missing all of last year with ankle and foot injuries. If he can return to his 2013 form, his addition could just what the Bengals need to generate success from the position.

Since coming to Cincinnati in 2012, Jones has been one of quarterback Andy Dalton's favorite slot options -- particularly inside the opposing 20. According to ESPN Stats & Information, all six of Jones' career red-zone touchdowns have come while he was lined up in the slot. All but two of his 13 career first-down receptions out of the slot have come in the red zone.

Dalton's primary slot option at all points on the field the past three seasons has been Mohamed Sanu. Nearly 56 percent of Sanu's 119 career receptions have come with him in the slot. Of the 1,056 routes he has run since 2012, 56.3 came with him in the slot, according to Stats & Information. (It must be noted that the necessity of having Sanu double as the No. 1 receiver while A.J. Green was hurt parts of six games last season likely negatively impacted what his career slot production should be).

So just why is the slot position receiver so important? Because like Kacsmar wrote, the Bengals didn't necessarily get any better at quarterback, where the inconsistent Dalton returns for a fifth season. Part of what has made Dalton successful has been targeting quick slot receivers on underneath throws.

In addition to the aforementioned receivers, the Bengals could use running backs Giovani Bernard and Rex Burkhead in similar capacities. Bernard ran more routes out of the slot last year than he did the season before. Burkhead, who had to fill in as an extra receiver with Green and others hurt for January's playoff game, has caught the coaches' attention. Multiple Bengals coaches, including Marvin Lewis, have expressed a desire to giving him more opportunities in 2015.

While there were no tangible improvements to Cincinnati's slot position, keep an eye on how the Bengals use the host of potential pass-catchers mentioned above.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/17303/bengals-andy-dalton-marvin-jones-mohamed-sanu-slot-receiver-improve-offseason-weakness

While I agree that adding Eifert and Jones back into the mix will allow Sanu to move into the slot and we improved in that way, not adding an impact WR in the draft was the one somewhat disappointing aspect of the offseason for me. I feel like we hit pretty much all of the other need areas with good players, but didn't do much of anything at WR.

I think Sanu in the slot is def an upgrade.he may not get separation w quickness but he has very good football instincts and he is a mismatch for LBs and slot corners..I think he just got wore out in the home stretch last year.i remember him at Rutgers he he tore the middle of the field up

I think Sanu in the slot is def an upgrade.he may not get separation w quickness but he has very good football instincts and he is a mismatch for LBs and slot corners..I think he just got wore out in the home stretch last year.i remember him at Rutgers he he tore the middle of the field up

Nope. Even with Jones out, Sanu only had 1 game the second half of the season with more than 25 yards receiving. At the same time he led the NFL in dropped passes. His best games were when he played outside in the absence of Green. Sanu was surprisingly poor last year when lined up in the slot. 

While I agree that adding Eifert and Jones back into the mix will allow Sanu to move into the slot and we improved in that way, not adding an impact WR in the draft was the one somewhat disappointing aspect of the offseason for me. I feel like we hit pretty much all of the other need areas with good players, but didn't do much of anything at WR.

If (and it's a big if) everyone returns healthy along with our acquisitions at WR in FA and the draft I think we'll be perfectly fine at slot, TE and elsewhere. But we have to stay healthy too, which was a big reason we struggled very late in the year and in the playoff game. Yeah, Dalton is inconsistent but damn we were injured at TE and WR by the end of the season. That can't happen again. A QB like Dalton desperately needs his options available.

Nope

The failure to secure Hawk will haunt the next season

:35:

Yeah right. We have Hawkins and more in Bernard and Alford. 

Got a feeling folks R sleeping on Sanu....don't underestimate his fiotbal smarts.he will lead this 2015 team w 1st down receptions (mark my words plz)..hell have 67 receptions for 890 yards but lead the team i. 1st downs

Are you predicting Marvin Jones and Eifert miss the season again? Sanu had lots of opportunities last year, probably more than he'll get this year, and didn't manage 890 yards.

Ok maybe 890 yards for sanu may b generous but not out of the question.sanu in the slot I believe will b andys safety blanket and I believe that is sanu best position..I love marvin Jones as he Reminds me somewhat of Steve smith in that he is aggressive and attacks the ball n really just makes plays.as far as Eifert goes he has promise but can he stay healthy???

Why do many people question so much whether Eifert can stay healthy but rarely anyone says anything about worrying about Jones? Both guys are coming off of a multiple injury missed season.

Very true. I've just always believed Eifert was a "soft" player. I simply didn't think he was physical enough and tough enough during his rookie season. Bottom line is that none of us have any idea what we'll get out of them this season. They have no track record. 

Bottom line is that none of us have any idea what we'll get out of them this season. They have no track record. 

In 2013 they caught 90 passes for 1157 yards and 12 tds.

You can doubt if they will return from their injuries, but you can't say they have no track record.

In 2013 they caught 90 passes for 1157 yards and 12 tds.

You can doubt if they will return from their injuries, but you can't say they have no track record.

Might have a "track record" but not a long one.

Jones had 10 TD's in 2013 but only started 3 games.  

2013 was Eifert's rookie season.  He started 15 games (2 TD's) and was off to a nice start in

2014 but we all know how that ended.  

So Eifert has 16 starts in 2 years.

Jones has 8 starts in 3 years.

Not exactly a "track record" to be getting excited about considering one (Jones) is your #2 WR

and (Eifert) is now your #1 TE.  

Just sayin'.  :)  

Why do many people question so much whether Eifert can stay healthy but rarely anyone says anything about worrying about Jones? Both guys are coming off of a multiple injury missed season.

It may be wrong, but I felt like Eifert was nicked up a lot in his rookie year and then missed all of last year. Jones has at least produced.

Might have a "track record" but not a long one.

Jones had 10 TD's in 2013 but only started 3 games.  

2013 was Eifert's rookie season.  He started 15 games (2 TD's) and was off to a nice start in

2014 but we all know how that ended.  

So Eifert has 16 starts in 2 years.

Jones has 8 starts in 3 years.

Not exactly a "track record" to be getting excited about considering one (Jones) is your #2 WR

and (Eifert) is now your #1 TE.  

Just sayin'.   :)  

Starts is the worst stat under Marvin Lewis coached teams. We stick with the same starters the whole year even if we only give that starter 5 snaps.

Very true. I've just always believed Eifert was a "soft" player. I simply didn't think he was physical enough and tough enough during his rookie season. Bottom line is that none of us have any idea what we'll get out of them this season. They have no track record. 

It may be wrong, but I felt like Eifert was nicked up a lot in his rookie year and then missed all of last year. Jones has at least produced.

Just an FYI:
First day of OTA's.....Eifert is catching slant passes from Dalton and Jones is on the sideline doing rehab work with Porter & Burfict.

Just an FYI:
First day of OTA's.....Eifert is catching slant passes from Dalton and Jones is on the sideline doing rehab work with Porter & Burfict.

That's curious, given that I've been watching him pull tires through sand and run deep 9s with Dalton at PBS for the last few months.

Archived