Favorite "Cincinnati Chili" of Bengals Fans ?

Favorite Chili of Bengals Fans ?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. which one do you like better ?

• [img]http://www.cincyalist.com/images/venues/50.jpg[/img]
    • [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/goldstarlogo3td.jpg[/IMG]
    • [img]http://www.wcpo.com/advertisers/newport/img/dixiechili_logo.gif[/img]
    • [img]http://www.ellenjaye.com/worldcafe/04_Empress.jpg[/img]
    • Never tried them = "Haven't really lived"
    • Hate them both = "Blasphemy"

Guest BlackJesus

[color="#009900"][b]good article ...[/b][/color] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img]

[size=3][u][quote]The Life and Times of Chili
Cincinnati Chili
by Cliff Lowe [/u] [/size]

If I asked you what city was the Chili capital of the world, what would your answer be? O.K. Let's narrow it down. Suppose I asked you [b]what American city was the Chili capital of the world[/b]?

If you answered with any state or city west of the Rocky Mountains, you would be wrong, very wrong. In 1890, DeWitt Clinton Pendery concocted the first known Chili Powder mix, which he called 'Chiltomaline' and it had its part in promoting and making western-style Chili as ubiquitous as it is today. His mix was a concoction of Chiles, Cumin, Oregano, and other spices.

Mr. Pendery arrived in Fort Worth, Texas after having traveled by horse-drawn stagecoach from Cincinnati, Ohio. [b]Cincinnati, known officially as the 'Queen City' was, in the 1700's and early 1800's, the gateway to the west.[/b] Located on a point where the mouth of the Licking River empties into the beautiful Ohio River, and just east of the spot where the three states of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana would eventually converge, this city was perfectly located for growth and industry. In those days river transportation was the fastest method of travel and one could ship goods or travel from Cincinnati, via the Ohio River, right into the mighty Mississippi river, and all the way to New Orleans and, from there, points west.

Surveyor John Filson gave the area, originally settled by John Symmes, the name "Losantiville." In 1790, General Arthur St. Claire, the first governor of the Northwest Territory, renamed the settlement 'Cincinnati' in honor of an organization of Revolutionary Soldiers called The Society of the Cincinnati, of which he was a member. The Society took its name from Quinctius Cincinnatus, an ancient Roman military leader.

I have to wonder what would have happened had Mr. Pendery decided to remain in Cincinnati, Ohio, [b]because Cincinnati is the Chili Capital of the United States and, likely, the world.[/b] [b]The city has more Chili parlors per capita and square mileage than any known city on the continent.[/b] B) Perhaps all chili would be of the Tex-Mex heritage if Pendery had stayed there.

But, the Chili produced, sold, and consumed in the Cincinnati area is not truly "Chili"as we know it. Cincinnati Chili is unique and quite different from its western cousin. In fact, about the only relation it has are the meat, cumin and chili powder it contains. After that, the recipe takes an interesting twist. Cincinnati style chili is also unique to the area (you can't find it too far outside the greater Cincinnati, area, although I did hear that one company was considering opening a store in Phoenix, Arizona) and unique in the way it came to be.

In 1922, a Macedonian immigrant, Tom Athanas Kiradjieff settled in Cincinnati with his brother, John. He opened a hot dog stand, which he named 'Empress' and sold hot dogs and Greek food. He did a lousy business because, at that time, the large majority of the inhabitants were of German heritage, and nobody in the area knew anything about Greek food, and weren't thrilled by it.

Tom was not to be defeated. He took a Greek stew, maintained the Mediterranean spices of Cinnamon and Cloves, changed the meat to ground beef, and added other spices, such as chili powder, to the mix and began to sell this stew over spaghetti and called it 'Chili.' It proved to be a successful experiment. He also came up with the idea of selling his Chili in 'ways', which is also unique to the area.

Today, Cincinnati Chili is still assembled and sold the way ole Tom used to sell his: Two Way means spaghetti topped with chili (get it? Two Way means two items, spaghetti and chili); Three Way is spaghetti topped with chili and grated cheddar cheese; Four Way is spaghetti topped with chili, grated cheese and chopped onions; and Five Way is kidney beans or chili beans, heated separately, placed on the plate then topped with spaghetti, chili, onions and grated cheese.

If you stop in a Cincinnati chili parlor you must have a 'Coney.' Now, the history of this sandwich is somewhat vague, but Uncle Tom gets the credit for this, also. Seems that, en route to Cincinnati; he passed through the Coney Island area of New York. Later when he decided to cover one of his hot dogs on a bun with mustard, Cincinnati Chili, and onions, and top it all off with a lot of finely grated Cheddar Cheese, he named it a 'Coney Island' and the name sticks to this day. 'Coneys', as the locals call them, are now made with a hot dog that is a bit smaller and shorter than a regular wiener, to allow more room for the chili and other goodies that go thereon.

[b]I lived in the Cincinnati area for many years and I have eaten enough Coneys and Cincinnati Chili to kill a normal human.[/b] :lol: I still love them.

Cincinnati now boasts a yearly chili festival and I was able to find the stats for the amount of Cincinnati Chili fixin's that were consumed (no, inhaled) at the 1998 Goldstar ChiliFest. This was a big to-do lasting for only two days, with 22 restaurants participating, and a local country music station hosting country music acts, and during the festivities 2 million pounds of Cincinnati Chili were consumed. Also eaten were 850,000 pounds of shredded Cheddar Cheese, 801,000 pounds of Spaghetti, 271,000 pounds of onions, 141,000 pounds of beans (groan!), 43 million oyster crackers, and 14.3 million hot dogs.

Oh yeah, about those oyster crackers: an oyster cracker is made the same way as a saltine cracker except it is a 6-sided concoction, about the diameter of a grown man's thumb, and hollow. They are the only crackers served with Cincinnati Chili and are a perfect match. Why they are called 'oyster' I am not sure, but I suppose it has to do with their shape and the fact they are a hollow shell. If you do not know what one is, or what they look like, hop on your browser and type in oyster cracker and see what comes up. If that fails, seek out the Skyline Chili page and on that page you will find a picture.

Today the largest Cincinnati Chili parlor chain in Cincinnati, and the world, is Goldstar Chili and, when I lived there, it was one of my favorites. Ms. Jessica Owsley, of Goldstar's Customer Service, graciously informs me that Gold Star serves 1,000,000 pounds of cheese and 3,000,000 pounds of chili a year. She also sent another interesting fact: the largest Coney ever made was 102 feet long and weighed over 180 pounds Goldstar Chili has around 100 stores in the Greater Cincinnati area, including one in Bethel, Ohio, Dayton, Kentucky and in Lawrenceburg, Indiana; all within a few minutes drive from Cincinnati.

The next largest chain is Skyline Chili with around 59 stores in the area. There is still an Empress Chili, too.
Around the area are numerous little, one-store operations selling this amazing concoction of Greek heritage but, in spite of the giant size and output of Goldstar and Skyline, there is one tiny Chili parlor that has outshined them all.

[b]Cincinnati is a city composed of hundreds of little neighborhoods and the natives know the boundaries and distinct areas of each one. [/b] One such neighborhood is Camp Washington, which consists of about 1,750 residents. And therein, is the Camp Washington Chili parlor just a few minutes from the downtown area. In 1985, Camp Washington Chili was featured on the CBS Morning News as the best-rated Chili in the nation. And the reputation is well earned. For 60 years, the little restaurant has been owned and operated by the same Greek family.

The single-store business was also featured in the March 2000 issue of National Geographic Magazine. Then, in May of the same year, the James Beard Foundation honored Camp Washington Chili as an 'American Regional Classic' restaurant. It is also patronized by a host of national celebrities, including singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffet, of 'Margarita' fame. Why all the fuss and stir about a little store? Well, for one thing, owner John Johnson has been making Cincinnati Chili since 1951 when he came from the old country to work with his uncle in the family business. For another, he pays attention to detail and does special things like using 100% real, aged Cheddar Cheese and refusing to buy pre-ground beef for his recipe. It has been ground in the restaurant, fresh daily, 6 days a week, since the beginning. The restaurant, which stood in the same place, in the same building, for 60 years until forced to move across the street two years ago due to street expansion, is 'the little restaurant that could.' It is the little restaurant, which has made famous the Chili, which really isn't a Chili at all, but an Americanized Greek Stew.

I promised, at the beginning, to tell you of a Chili that wasn't a Chili as we usually think of it. Now you know. So, if you are ever in the Cincinnati area, stop and have a bowl of 5-Way and a Coney for me, will you? That would be a good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[size=3][u]Some tips and reminders about Cincinnati Chili: [/u] [/size]

It is a meat stew or sauce. Beans are not cooked in the Chili but are heated separately and used as an addition to the plate. Cincinnati chili is not to be served cold. It must be hot.

Spaghetti always goes on the plate first, except, when making the 5-way version; some places put beans on the plate first, some on top of the spaghetti.

No matter how tempted you are, do not use regular Saltines. You lose something in the translation. It must be Oyster Crackers. They stay crisp through the entire eating, whereas, regular Saltines do not.

Connoisseurs of Cincinnati Chili do not go in for the childish, macho exercise of seeing who can make the hottest concoction. In Cincinnati they would probably hang you if you did. There is no such thing as '5-alarm Cincinnati Chili.' Cincinnati Chili is about blending spices and creating a particular subtle flavor.

Refer to the article to remember how to assemble 2-Way, 3-Way, 4-Way, and 5-Way platters.

And, finally, remember that, for some, this is an acquired taste, while for others it is love at first bite. If you hate it, please don't shoot the messenger.[/quote]

[url="http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART/cliff/chilarttwo.html"]http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART/...chilarttwo.html[/url]

Guest BlackJesus

[center][size=3]"Cincinnati Chili" Has it's own Wikipedia page ---->[/size] [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili"]Link[/url]

[i][quote]Cincinnatians consume more than two million pounds of chili each year, topped by 850,000 pounds of shredded cheddar cheese.[/quote][/i]

:afropic: [/center]

Guest steggyD
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='246147' date='Apr 9 2006, 01:36 AM'][b][size=3]Cincinnati Chili Recipe I found Online ....[/size][/b]

[quote]
"For those of us who live in Cincinnati, Ohio and eat this seemingly peculiar concoction regularly, the recipe below IS Cincinnati Chili (translate that Skyline, Gold Star or Empress Chili). There are no crushed tomatoes or chili powder in it and the ground beef is not pre-browned. The Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar (not white), cloves, cumin, chocolate and cayenne pepper are all essential to the recipe as are the amounts of onion and garlic. Depending on the size of the pan used, the recipe can be doubled or tripled."

1 quart water
2 pounds ground chuck, crumbled
2 medium onions, finely chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, crushed (use garlic press) or minced
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
10 peppercorns, ground
8 whole allspice, ground
8 whole cloves, ground
1 large bay leaf
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated

Bring water to boil in a 4-6 quart pot. Add the ground chuck (do not brown first). Stir until separated and reduce heat to simmer. Add onions, garlic, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to mix well. Add peppercorns, allspice, cloves, bay leaf, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and grated unsweetened chocolate. Bring back to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 2 1/2 hours cooking time in all. Cool uncovered and refrigerate overnight.

Skim all or most of the fat and discard. Discard bay leaf. Reheat and serve over hot spaghetti, cooked al dente.

[size=3][u]Optional toppings[/u][/size]

Finely-grated Cheddar cheese, chopped onion, red kidney beans. Serve oyster crackers and red pepper sauce on the side.

[b]Two-Way[/b] - spaghetti and chili

[b]Three-Way[/b] - spaghetti, chili and Cheddar cheese

[b]Four-Way[/b] - spaghetti, chili, Cheddar and chopped onion

[b]Five-Way[/b] - spaghetti, chili, Cheddar, onions and red kidney beans[/quote]

[url="http://www.recipegoldmine.com/chili/chili107.html"]http://www.recipegoldmine.com/chili/chili107.html[/url]
[/quote]
Ya. Being in NY, I make my own. I have to check this recipe out when I'm sober and match it up to mine.

Damn, now I know what I'll be making here within the next couple days.

Oh yeah, Gold Star rules!!!

I love Skyline, but i had to vote Empress.

I grew up eating mostly that for school lunches. I graduated from NCH, Bigfeet, back in '93 when that Skyline was still a McDonalds. Empress used to be up the street right next to Toms Drive-Thru.

Empress is hard to find, there's not many of them around anymore. The only one i know of, offhand, is in Harrison, and thats just because i used to work at the Buffalo Wild Wings out there.

I live in Mason now so the only choice i have is Skyline. (there are Gold Stars here, but i dont consider that an option) :thumbsdown:

Camp Washington is hands down the best. :bowdown: For those in Cincy who have never ventured down, it is a must. Go for lunch. Not an area of town u want to be hanging around in the late evening........

Damn its 6:40am and I have the huge craving now for some cincy chili. Hhmmm, maybe a chili omlette is on the breakfast menu at Phatty's house today.......

Guest Whodey420
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='246100' date='Apr 9 2006, 12:27 AM'][url="http://www.skylinechili.com/skyline_locations_main.php"]Skyline Nationwide Locations[/url]

[b]Lucky for me - I "by luck without even knowing" moved to a place in South Florida that literally has a Skyline within 5 minutes of me .....

The first time I saw it driving down the street I almost crashed .... as I weaved across lanes to enter the promised land

(there are around 6 of them down here in FL) one of the only states outside of Ohio that has them[/b][/quote]

You talking about the 1 in Ft. Lauderdale on US1/Dixie Hwy.?

[quote name='Whodey420' post='246188' date='Apr 9 2006, 08:22 AM'][quote name='BlackJesus' post='246100' date='Apr 9 2006, 12:27 AM']
[url="http://www.skylinechili.com/skyline_locations_main.php"]Skyline Nationwide Locations[/url]

[b]Lucky for me - I "by luck without even knowing" moved to a place in South Florida that literally has a Skyline within 5 minutes of me .....

The first time I saw it driving down the street I almost crashed .... as I weaved across lanes to enter the promised land

(there are around 6 of them down here in FL) one of the only states outside of Ohio that has them[/b][/quote]

You talking about the 1 in Ft. Lauderdale on US1/Dixie Hwy.?
[/quote]

There's another one on University near Oakland Park.

Guest IndianaBengal
[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2042/goldstarlogo3td2xj.jpg[/img]

Goldstar baby!!!!!! I eat Skyline every Tuesday.(We have one here) Cause its delishush. But whenever I get near the Nati, I get the goldstar cause we don't have those in Indiana. It beats the Skyline cause the hamburger in the chili mix seems more like cow meat.. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='246201' date='Apr 9 2006, 09:26 AM'][img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2042/goldstarlogo3td2xj.jpg[/img]

Goldstar baby!!!!!! I eat Skyline every Tuesday.(We have one here) Cause its delishush. But whenever I get near the Nati, I get the goldstar cause we don't have those in Indiana. It beats the Skyline cause the hamburger in the chili mix seems more like cow meat.. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

Everytime I come to Cincinnati, I have to eat Skyline Chili. I have one a few miles away in Fort Myers, FL, but it taste a little different (kind of closer to Gold Star- not the same).

Guest oldschooler

That`s like asking me which one of my twins I love more...

I haven`t seen a Gold Star, Skyline or any place that makes
"Cincinnati style" chili since I left the area a few years ago.

I miss Penn Station a lot too. :(

[i]Note: This thread makes me homesick [/i] :(

I choose Skyline with a personal bias. As a youth growing up in Price Hill, fully indocturnated into the ritual rights-of-passage with drinking beer; attending Elder football games (I went to West Hi; but there were always more girls at the Elder games from Seton/Mercy and the feeder parishes);and consumming Skyline Chili are legendary.

The Skyline Chili on Glenway Ave was [b]the[/b] place to be. From there, the best party's were revealed and the night was truly beginning. Hell, sometimes I would find myself back for a couple cheese coney's just
as a nightcap. :D

[i]Ok, I left out the countless fights that broke out after the game, but this is the west-side and I thought this was a given. :) [/i]

It was not until I was introduced to cannabis that I could really appreciate that savory flavor :whistle:
A ritual was born soon after this discovery. I worked at St Joe's cemetery; cutting grass. My budy and I made a deal, we got paid every Thursday, one of us would buy the smoke and the other would pay the Skyline tab; amicable arrangements would you not agree.

A couple years removed from high school, I found myself actually working there (the Price Hill site); I was working at Stouffer's (Top of the Crown) downtown and I wanted to work closer to where I lived.
I worked with the son of Lambert (can't rember his first name, but I am told he opened the Delhi location)
My job was to make the spagahetti, chop onions and shred cheese. Then I went out and worked the steam table preparing dishes. The spagehetti was cooked (boiled in a large vat). At the same time Tomatoe paste and lard would be set to simmer. When completed, the tomatoe paste/lard combo would be added to the drained spagehetti, placed into the cooler and chilled. Ceramic crock-pots would be placed in the steam table and the spagahetti is warmed this way. [b]Note: Not sure if this practice is the same today.[/b]
The prepared chili arrived in 5 gal plastic containers. All my meals were free.

Yes, I miss my skyline, but don't worry my wife prepares a very close resemblence which I am happy to share with you all:

Ingredients:

2lb ground beef/chuck. Your own preference of leanest.
1qt + 1 cup tomatoe juice
1tsp cinnamon
1 large onion (whole)
2 dashes of worshestershire sauce
1/16 tsp garlic powder
1tsp allspice
4tbsp chilipowder
1 tsp pepper
1tbsp salt
1 tsp red pepper
1&1/4 tsp vinegar
2 1/2 bay leaves

[i]Disclaimer: I am unsure of the brand products which could produce various results.[/i]

Combine meat and tomatoe juice, stir until desired consistency. Add spices. cookon medium for approximatey 2 hours. remove onion and stir. Note: Best results (flavor) occours after 3 days of initial preparation.

I have a business idea of introducing the Cincinnati chili concept to this area.

Actually did a blind taste test using my brother and his wife last year who are from Seattle using Skyline, Gold Star and Dixie. Both my brother and my sister in law both chose Dixie as the best

I can distinguish the difference by just looking at them, Dixie by far has more meat and is thicker than the others, Skyline is so thin you can eat it with a straw

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]

I have never had any Cincy chili before, I'm not from Cincy, so I wouldn't know what it tastes like. I feel a lot like Badass when he found out his dick wasn't clipped. :(

We don't have any Skyline or Gold Star's here!!!! I can't seem to find any of the canned chili in any of the stores around here either!!!

All that stuff looks so good [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//17.gif[/img] I must have it.

Maybe I should go out, buy the ingredients and make my own, but where to find a recipe that is close to the actual thing?

Guest Johnsons4Life
Wow, I've never realized how great it is to be able to eat the cincy chili whenever. I always took it for granted until now....I will appreciate every bite from now on.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='246266' date='Apr 9 2006, 11:33 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]

I have never had any Cincy chili before, I'm not from Cincy, so I wouldn't know what it tastes like. I feel a lot like Badass when he found out his dick wasn't clipped. :(

We don't have any Skyline or Gold Star's here!!!! I can't seem to find any of the canned chili in any of the stores around here either!!!

All that stuff looks so good [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//17.gif[/img] I must have it.

Maybe I should go out, buy the ingredients and make my own, but where to find a recipe that is close to the actual thing?[/quote]
If you are up in the DC area at any time, they have Skyline on the shelves at Wegman's near Dulles airport. (South Riding, VA). Wouldn't surprise me if a franchise opened up there one of these days...

... to those of you who complain about draining away the "water" in your Skyline... don't you know it's grease, not water!!! You're draining away the best part!!!!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='246294' date='Apr 9 2006, 12:10 PM']Thick, spicy Texas Chili pwns them all IMHO....especially when served over RICE, not spaghetti!
Coneys are pretty damn good though. I find Gold Star and Skyline to be very similar in flavor and texture.[/quote]
Oh, man. I love me some spicy Texas chili, especially when my boy adds habanero peppers to it. Man, that is what I call a hot dish!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//38.gif[/img] I always have to sprinke some sharp cheese on it, add some kidney beans to it, that's some good eating!!

But I will reserve my judgement for which chili is better until I've had my first 3-way and Coney. Don't wanna be biased ;) .

[quote]... to those of you who complain about draining away the "water" in your Skyline... don't you know it's grease, not water!!! You're draining away the best part!!!![/quote]

GREAT POINT :headbang:

for Skyline, crunch a few oyster crackers in there and enjoy.

As I mentioned in my previuos post with my recipe, with the fermentation of flavor after the third day, an accumulation of what appears to be only grease will form at the top; [b]DO NOT REMOVE [/b] prior to reheating.

Just let it melt, then stir.

Disclaimer; we use one of those pots for spaghetti that has the strainer built into the lid. Wish I would of thought of that. ;)

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='246297' date='Apr 9 2006, 10:15 AM'][quote name='Bunghole' post='246294' date='Apr 9 2006, 12:10 PM']
Thick, spicy Texas Chili pwns them all IMHO....especially when served over RICE, not spaghetti!
Coneys are pretty damn good though. I find Gold Star and Skyline to be very similar in flavor and texture.[/quote]
Oh, man. I love me some spicy Texas chili, especially when my boy adds habanero peppers to it. Man, that is what I call a hot dish!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//38.gif[/img] I always have to sprinke some sharp cheese on it, add some kidney beans to it, that's some good eating!!

But I will reserve my judgement for which chili is better until I've had my first 3-way and Coney. Don't wanna be biased ;) .
[/quote]
I love spicy, thick, bean-infused chili. But, Cincinnati chili IS good. It's a little different than what most people that have never heard of it would call chili in the first place. Cincy chili is much thinner than what I prefer (but it works better for coneys), and Cincy chili also has a sweet-ish flavor that some folks just don't care for in their chili. Most Cincy chilis have cinnamon as one of their spices....some add sugar as well....

Archived