----- LEVI JONES SIGNED !!!!! -----

Guest fredtoast

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300759' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:02 PM']make you think about, "feeding your children"[/quote]
If he can't already feed his children especially since he has one or two restaurants he is in some deep shit..

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300762' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:07 PM']i picture him as the kind of player that leaves cincy in 07, gives 2 good yrs to team b, then the shit hits the fan,(healthwise) or he retires. I'm thinking [size=3][color="#3333FF"]2 yr extention [/color] [/size] only.[/quote]

[b][size=3]We offered him a 3 year, $18 million deal already and he said it was a slap in the face.[/b][/size]

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='GoBengals' post='300757' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:59 PM']I don't understand how you crazy bastards justify wanting top pay that greedy fuck anderson more money when he can't even practice and workout during the season. His body is on death row. Dead any minute. He won't make it through this season. He can't. He missed some time last year, just never a full game.[/quote]

I'm not sure I'd go that nasty :), but Willie definitely needs to understand his role better. This isn't the Bengals team that signed him to a huge contract back in 2000. Willie needs the Bengals more than they need him. There is a lot of talent at his position just aching to get onto the field. He needs to sweeten the pot by lowering his pricetag.

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='JC' post='300768' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:11 PM']If he can't already feed his children especially since he has one or two restaurants he is in some deep shit..[/quote]

what i meant by that comment , is that, he will catch the "TO Syndrome!!"

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='mongoloido' post='300772' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:13 PM']Willie needs the Bengals more than they need him.[/quote]

There are pleny of teams willing to pay him more than we are willing. Believe me. He doesn't need us that bad.

I think what happens with willie all depends on how we do this year...i think if we make the playoffs and do well in them but fall just short of winning the SB, i think he will resign in hopes to win one with the bengals...but if we dont come close, or if we win the SB, i think he'll be gone

[quote name='fredtoast' post='300677' date='Jul 25 2006, 03:08 PM']Bengals lock up Jones
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 25, 2006

4 p.m.

The Bengals locked up another key offensive player Tuesday when they reached a six-year contract extension with left tackle Levi Jones, according to agent Kenny Zuckerman.

The Bengals, who won’t comment on deals until they are signed, now have Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer in the fold through 2014, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson through 2011, and Jones, a Pro Bowl alternate, through 2012. Plus, running back Rudi Johnson, the franchise’s single-season rushing leader, is here through 2009 and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, with 150 caches over the past two seasons, through 2008.

Jones becomes the highest-paid offensive lineman in club history with a contract surpassing the $30.6 million deal three-time Pro Bowler Willie Anderson signed before the 2000 season and ends after this one. Zuckerman says the deal makes Jones the league’s fourth-highest paid offensive lineman with guarantees of $16.3 million. Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Levi Jones has agreed to a six year contract extension for just over $40 million. The Bengals 2002 first round pick also has guarantees totaling about $16.3 million. The contract which has been in the works for months, makes Jones the highest paid offensive linemen ever that has not reached the Pro Bowl. Based on the new money this contract vaults Jones to the fourth highest paid offensive tackle in the N.F.L., only behind perennial Pro Bowlers, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. Jones and his agent, Kenny Zuckerman of Priority Sports have expressed that they wanted to get a deal finalized before the start of training camp on Saturday. The former Arizona State University walk-on was entering the last year of his five year rookie contract and was due to earn $795,000.

The Jones deal doesn’t preclude an extension for Anderson and left guard Eric Steinbach, but one or both now may not get done before the season is over. Anderson’s agent said Tuesday he’s had no talks with the club this offseason.

Extensions for Jones and right guard Bobbie Williams make the Bengals breath a little easier along a front that set a club record when it gave up just 21 sacks while Rudi Johnson set the team’s season rushing record with 1,458 yards.

Jones is a major reason Palmer went to his first Pro Bowl with the Bengals’ first three-digit passer rating, shutting out several of the NFL’s top sackers, including the Colts’ Dwight Freeney, the Ravens’ Terrell Suggs, and the Packers’ Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Jones, the club’s first-round pick in 2002 who turns 27 next month, had started 59 straight games until sitting out last season’s finale in Kansas City after the club had clinched the AFC North title. Included in that streak is the now legendary start against the 49ers in 2003 that came just six days after Jones had arthroscopic knee surgery.[/quote]

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest IndianaBengal
I'm guessing if someone did a poll here, they would get a 75/25% vote for signing Eric over Willie. Probably a given. But I still think that Willie should rethink his posture on a 2-3 yr deal.

just my perdiction

eric will take a lot longer due to the contract hutchinson signed with the vikings, it was the most over the top deal for a guard and is driving the price for guards through the roof. i think it was like 60 mil or something like that. his deal will get done but i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt happen till after the season

i would love to keep willie but we just cant, we shouldnt tag him b/c that would be a dis service to the time he has put in, i know its a big payday but he wants a nice signing bonus. we shouldnt give him a 5 or 6 yr deal for up wards of 40-50 mil since i would doubt he ever gets that far and he wont take a 2 or 3 yr deal so i think whitworth, kooistra or andrews slids in next yr and we draft another versitle tackle.

Guest IndianaBengal
you guys herd marvin last night on WLW. he said. we will not be able to keep all 3!!!! someone else herd this for sure. Marv knows his shit. Eric or Willie. if they both sign, two have read the whodeiyan prophecy and know what awaits..

Great news. This plus Whitworth playing LG in the minicamps makes me wonder about Steiny, though.

Willie, I think its just a matter of another team being willing to overpay for him. I won't be mad at him if he takes the money, thats just how the NFL works. It'd be great to see him retire a Bengal but the days of players staying with one team their entire career are pretty much gone.

The best you can hope for any more are the 1-day token contracts like Dallas gave Emmitt or Rice is rumored to be working out with SF.

Two words Willie should familiarize himself with : Franchise Tag

I don't know the specific numbers, but the franchise number for right tackles can't be nearly as large as it is for left tackles. Rather than give him the huge signing bonus and contract length that he's prepared to leave the Bengals to get, Marvin could always franchise him for a year or two. It's all about leverage in these things.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='300796' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:32 PM']Two words Willie should familiarize himself with : Franchise Tag

I don't know the specific numbers, but the franchise number for right tackles can't be nearly as large as it is for left tackles. Rather than give him the huge signing bonus and contract length that he's prepared to leave the Bengals to get, Marvin could always franchise him for a year or two. It's all about leverage in these things.[/quote]

Unfortunately all OLine fall under one franchise or transition number. They no longer differentiate by position. Neither get Tagged, IMHO. I've heard the number for an oline could go around $9MM next year.

2006 Tag Numbers:

Offensive linemen
Franchise tender: $6,983,000
Transition tender: $6,391,000

Guest IndianaBengal
what are the guys from the '81 bengals team o-line thinking about right now? shit, I was born way too fuckin early!

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='300796' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:32 PM']Two words Willie should familiarize himself with : Franchise Tag

I don't know the specific numbers, but the franchise number for right tackles can't be nearly as large as it is for left tackles. Rather than give him the huge signing bonus and contract length that he's prepared to leave the Bengals to get, Marvin could always franchise him for a year or two. It's all about leverage in these things.[/quote]

If anyone gets tagged it would be Stein. Tag the young guy. Willie is still probowl calibur but I don't think he's worth a tag.

:headbang: :headbang: :dance: :dance: :rockon: :rockon: :2rave: :2rave: :gobengals: :gobengals: :icon15: :icon15:

Our future now looks even brighter, this was the one guy I was worried about more than all others on this line, due to the importance of the posititon and Levi's level of play. This is the best news in the entire offseason, it gives us major depth at the oline for the next few years, now lets go get Eric.

[quote]Bengals lock up Jones
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 25, 2006

4 p.m.

The Bengals locked up another key offensive player Tuesday when they reached a six-year contract extension with left tackle Levi Jones, according to agent Kenny Zuckerman.

The Bengals, who won’t comment on deals until they are signed, now have Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer in the fold through 2014, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson through 2011, and Jones, a Pro Bowl alternate, through 2012. Plus, running back Rudi Johnson, the franchise’s single-season rushing leader, is here through 2009 and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, with 150 caches over the past two seasons, through 2008.

Jones becomes the highest-paid offensive lineman in club history with a contract surpassing the $30.6 million deal three-time Pro Bowler Willie Anderson signed before the 2000 season and ends after this one. Zuckerman says the deal makes Jones the league’s fourth-highest paid offensive lineman with guarantees of $16.3 million. Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Levi Jones has agreed to a six year contract extension for just over $40 million. The Bengals 2002 first round pick also has guarantees totaling about $16.3 million. The contract which has been in the works for months, makes Jones the highest paid offensive linemen ever that has not reached the Pro Bowl. Based on the new money this contract vaults Jones to the fourth highest paid offensive tackle in the N.F.L., only behind perennial Pro Bowlers, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. Jones and his agent, Kenny Zuckerman of Priority Sports have expressed that they wanted to get a deal finalized before the start of training camp on Saturday. The former Arizona State University walk-on was entering the last year of his five year rookie contract and was due to earn $795,000.

The Jones deal doesn’t preclude an extension for Anderson and left guard Eric Steinbach, but one or both now may not get done before the season is over. Anderson’s agent said Tuesday he’s had no talks with the club this offseason.

Extensions for Jones and right guard Bobbie Williams make the Bengals breath a little easier along a front that set a club record when it gave up just 21 sacks while Rudi Johnson set the team’s season rushing record with 1,458 yards.

Jones is a major reason Palmer went to his first Pro Bowl with the Bengals’ first three-digit passer rating, shutting out several of the NFL’s top sackers, including the Colts’ Dwight Freeney, the Ravens’ Terrell Suggs, and the Packers’ Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Jones, the club’s first-round pick in 2002 who turns 27 next month, had started 59 straight games until sitting out last season’s finale in Kansas City after the club had clinched the AFC North title. Included in that streak is the now legendary start against the 49ers in 2003 that came just six days after Jones had arthroscopic knee surgery.[/quote]

:icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15: :icon15:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300809' date='Jul 25 2006, 03:49 PM']Our future now looks even brighter, this was the one guy I was worried about more than all others on this line, due to the importance of the posititon and Levi's level of play. This is the best news in the entire offseason, it gives us major depth at the oline for the next few years, now lets go get Eric.[/quote]

My day got brighter when I read that we signed him as well. I don't think we'll need to tag Eric, he'll get signed before it comes to that.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='300811' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:54 PM']My day got brighter when I read that we signed him as well. I don't think we'll need to tag Eric, he'll get signed before it comes to that.[/quote]

I'd be supprised if we were to use the tag on a guard, not out of the question but I'd be supprised. Even still if Eric does price himself out of here I think we have enough depth to move on without him, Wilkerson is supposed to be a great pulling center, if we put bluto at center and wilkerson at guard we may not miss a beat as one of the best olines in the game.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='300771' date='Jul 25 2006, 10:12 PM'][b][size=3]We offered him a 3 year, $18 million deal already and he said it was a slap in the face.[/size][/b][/quote]

Then fuck him. Can't talk about loyalty and then be all about the greenbacks. Especially when you've been offered WAY more than most of us will earn in many a lifetime.

I'll take 18 million over 40 years happily. He needs to get real. Fuck what "the market will bear", either you want to be a Bengal or you don't.

We've enough quality tackles we don't need to kill the franchise for one old one who is being greedy.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='300798' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:35 PM']Unfortunately all OLine fall under one franchise or transition number. They no longer differentiate by position. Neither get Tagged, IMHO. I've heard the number for an oline could go around $9MM next year.

2006 Tag Numbers:

Offensive linemen
Franchise tender: $6,983,000
Transition tender: $6,391,000[/quote]

Are you saying that all tackles (both right and left) would have the same franchise number? Or that tackles, guards, and centers would have the same franchise number?

Archived