Watching the Combine on NFL Network

I am just lounging around, watching the combine and the O'Linemen are on. Blalock from TX is going to be a beast (if life was based on a 20 yrd shuttle and bench press). It is just amazing to see people put 225 up and down like that. He probably did the first 30 reps in about 30 seconds...amazing.

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='445231' date='Feb 24 2007, 01:37 PM']Joe Thomas bombed out on the bench, only putting up 225, 29 times... Hmm, I say only because a few other Olineman put up 40.[/quote]

I don't know if you've ever seen him play but he's the real deal.Scouts love a guy who never quits on his blocks until the whistle blows . He'll take his assigned man out and then go down field and hit somebody else plus he's smart.

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='445231' date='Feb 24 2007, 12:37 PM']Joe Thomas bombed out on the bench, only putting up 225, 29 times... Hmm, I say only because a few other Olineman put up 40.[/quote]

Not sure I'd say "bombed" at 29 - it's above average, but not great. Typically, you don't see guys that are really tall who lift the bar as much as the shorter, inside guys do. I remember Levi Jones did 28 or 29 at the Combine, and Levi Brown of Penn State, another highly-rated tackle this year, did 31 reps.

More often, you see Guards ripping off 35+ reps -- like this year, with Blalock and Ramirez, having 40 each. A few years ago, the G from Brigham Young (whose last name was Young, interestingly) did 42 reps, I think.

Patmo, I see him play many times, I just don't believe all the hype that they are putting out on this guy, they did the same for Roberrt Gallery and we all know how well he's doing, the same was said about Leonard Davis of Arizona.. And to be honest, the highlite reel that they keep showing is of him, man handling Dan Connor, an undersized LB from Penn State, in the mold of Caleb Miller. Time will tell, but for me 29 is so so, The Kalil kid from USC also did 40...... Times are a changing.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='445279' date='Feb 24 2007, 03:48 PM']I know this is a Oline thread, but keep an eye on the TE from Whitworth, Michael Allan. He put up good numbers and is from a small school, he might be a good pick in the 4th.[/quote]

Looks a little small in the shoulders and arms. I don't know how good a blocker he will be. If Spaeth or Patrick are there, I would take one of them first.

Ben Patrick looked impressive to me. Other than Allan and Olsen, the TEs didn't run particularly well, but he looks cut and athletic. Scott Chandler didn't run real well, but he's a good pass catcher at 6-7, 270. He looks lean at that size.

Interesting that during the TE drills, Jon Hayes (Bengals TE coach) was leading some of them. I've watched the Combine since it's been on NFL Network, and I don't recall seeing that before.

[quote name='BengalInPa' post='445256' date='Feb 24 2007, 02:52 PM']Patmo, I see him play many times, I just don't believe all the hype that they are putting out on this guy, they did the same for Roberrt Gallery and we all know how well he's doing, the same was said about Leonard Davis of Arizona.. And to be honest, the highlite reel that they keep showing is of him, man handling Dan Connor, an undersized LB from Penn State, in the mold of Caleb Miller. Time will tell, but for me 29 is so so, The Kalil kid from USC also did 40...... Times are a changing.[/quote]

he probably would have been a top 10 pick last year, then decided to stay at the last minute. a LT putting the bar up 29 times is quite average. this kid's as solid of a can't miss prospect as there is in this draft.

[quote name='Jason' post='445478' date='Feb 25 2007, 03:21 PM']Garret Wolfe put up 22 reps. The top RB did 28. He may be durable enough to play in the NFL. Depending on Chris Perry's health and the status of Watson, he may be worth taking in 4 or 5 (depending on who else is there in 4).[/quote]
I agree. The kid didn't play against a lot of top talent, but he looked just fine against OSU. As a late round pick, he'd have a ton of the proverbial upside everyone is looking for in a late round pick...

Archived