***Official UC Basketball Thread***

Khatmandude

SMU dismantled Memphis the same way.....it happens.   Memphis has top tier talent, offensively and SMU beat them by about 20.   I wasn't too worried about the results of this game, I knew UC would lose and I thought they would lose big.....but I didn't include that in my post.  I told my brother as the game was about to start that I thought UC would lose by double digits....I guessed a 17 pt win for SMU.    The Bearcats are all too predictable at times.....yesterday was one of those times for me.  

SMU's defense is just as good (almost) as UC's and their offense is more efficient on a consistent basis.....they were at home where they're undefeated, they're playing extremely well.    I'm not concerned about the point differential.  Plus, the refs were horrendous.  Absolutely horrendous.   

The next few games will tell us a bit more about this team. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bearcats are good. Fun to watch.  Got some tough games coming up though. 

It gives them almost a March Madness warmup.  Play 3 incredibly tough teams, get a chance to rest, play more tough teams in the conference tournament, then another chance to rest and get seeded on selection Sunday then it's time to go for real for rilz. 

You're right....when they're being aggressive offensively, they're extremely fun to watch.  Shaq Thomas is going to create matchup nightmares in the tournament.   NBA is all about matchups and even college becomes this way during the tourney when teams need a bucket.   They exploit matchups.   He can exploit.  6'7" guy with handles, quickness and incredible athleticism.  Add in skill and you've got a dangerous player, potential NBA 1st Rd pick. 

I was not able to watch the game, but heard there were some iffy calls?

I thought the calls were pretty good.  I guess it depends on whether a person is a Bearcat or Cardinal fan...

2844.gif

Yes, it was a good game and it appeared to many who did watch that Cinci was trying to give that game away at every turn.  This time they succeeded in giving it away.  However, I will freely admit that UC is the better team this year at this point in the season even though they lost.

I was not able to watch the game, but heard there were some iffy calls?

Just an FYI....if the game is on ESPN or any of their affiliated networks, you can watch the game when it's over at ESPN.com. 

As for the officiating....there was one call that was absolutely horrible.   Harrell slid under Kilpatrick as SK was about to attempt a shot as he was driving towards the basket.  First off, the foul should have been a blocking call, giving SK 2 FTs.....but instead, they called a charge, but it was NOT a player control foul so they gave Harrell 2 FTs at the other end.  Complete BS.  They used a rule explanation that hasn't been in effect in over 20 yrs to give Louisville 2 FTs on that foul call.  Harrell hit them both.  Complete and utter bullshit.  A 4 pt swing.....SK would have hit both FTs.  He shoots 90%. 

The other call was a call they got right in the end, though the manner in which they came to the double reversal has been discussed and will continue to be discussed.  The officials originally called a loose ball out on UC, went to the video monitor and reversed the call, giving the ball to UC.  I believe this is with about 1:20 left in the game with UC up by 1 or 2 pts.   Then, at that point, is where the controversy starts.  It's said by people at the game that Greg Anthony and the CBS crew signaled the refs over and told them to look at their footage.  Apparently the refs did so, and reversed the decision one more time giving the ball to Louisville.   This is a clear violation in ethics for CBS and G. Anthony.   The American Athletic Conference's commissioner Mike Aresko has been made aware of this and the "ball is now in his court" to do something about it.    So, even though they got the call correct....which is what I'm most concerned with.....the means they went about to come to the correct call were unethical.   Philosophical dilemma.

I was told that Cronin, on his radio show, confirmed that it was the CBS crew signalling over to the refs and the UL bench that led to the double reversal. 

A few plays before all this happened, Shaq Thomas went to the rim on a semi fast break....he took it to the rim, thought he had a layup but was rejected by Harrell, who should have been called for a foul as he clobbered Shaq on the head.  No call. 

These AAC officials are suspect.  Most games this year there has been an issue with blatantly bad calls. 

http://riverfrontball.com/2014/02/24/cbs-suspend-greg-anthony/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

CBS Should Suspend Greg Anthony

By Matt Niehaus -

Feb 24th, 2014 at 7:56 pm

greg-anthony-590x329.jpg

Saturday afternoon the Cincinnati Bearcats and Louisville Cardinals game at Cincinnati’s Fifth Third Arena was marred by an awful 7 minute delay of game while the American Athletic Conference officials reviewed an out of bounds call. It appears that the officials may have been influenced for a second review by CBS’s Greg Anthony.

The initial call on the play was out of bounds on Cincinnati’s Shaq Thomas. The call was then reviewed by the AAC officials and after three minutes the possession was given to the Bearcats. While Cincinnati went to the court to inbound the ball the refs once again stopped play to review the call. After another 4 minutes the overturned call was overturned again to the original call giving the ball to Louisville.

You can see the out of bounds play at the 3:24 mark. It is only one angle, from the other angle you can see the ball does not touch Shaq, it never even changes direction.

http://youtu.be/mhf9kuuIwbE

Now comes Monday and Mick Cronin’s weekly radio show in which he all but confirmed CBS Sports Greg Anthony as the culprit for the second review. Apparently according to Cronin, Anthony informed the refs there were additional angles that they should look at.

As a media member you should never influence the out come or the flow of the game. Anthony in a sense costed Cincinnati a win, on an 11-0 run the Bearcats had all the momentum in the game only to have it stolen away by a media member who had to step in.

Anthony apparently motioned to the Louisville bench and the referees that they should review it again. Anyone that watched the broadcast knew the CBS crew was pro Louisville. When the Cardinals made a shot it was always so grand call, the Bearcats resulted in a monotone, nice shot.

Greg Anthony should be suspended, no media member should ever motion to a team or alert the refs of a mistake. If you want to impact a game Greg be a coach.

http://riverfrontball.com/2014/02/24/cbs-suspend-greg-anthony/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

CBS Should Suspend Greg Anthony

Greg Anthony should be suspended, no media member should ever motion to a team or alert the refs of a mistake. If you want to impact a game Greg be a coach.

I hear they're granting him an honorary degree from UofL...

The original call was that the ball belonged to UL, the replay was inconclusive and the ball should have stayed with UL. I'm not sure why the refs reversed the call in the first place. If that replay would have been used to reverse a call that went in UC's favor everyone would be in an uproar too.