I'll be buying a new car soon Stang or Eclipse

Jason

i rode in a mustang a few times, i wanted to kill myself it was so small, ive also never seen a ford rank anything but terrible on reliability and so on, im a luxury fan myself, if your going to blow 30-35k on a car, might as well grab a lexus es350, or an acura, big, semi quick, dependable, comfy, etc.. tho it seems your geared towards sporty/super fast. im truely not trying to piss on the parade here, but im not turned on by something that i can only enjoy when breaking the law (fast cars) but again, thats just me, and im just a fat guy who likes big luxury cars, and drives a civic.

:thumbsdown:

i would take the "ignore opinions" advice, grab a consumer reports, the latest car edition came out maybe a month or two ago, look at it for reliability and repair history and then test drive for your own personal preference, with opinions you get scewed answers, someone who loves working on cars may say "never had a problem with it" just because they enjoy car work and have replaced a transmission and starter and bent wheel and belts and thought thats no biggie, they did it themselves, while people like me, think changing spark plugs is bullshit... :whistle: i think all american cars are garbage, [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]

[quote name='Jason' post='495269' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:36 PM']How reliable it is for one. I bought a car back in the late 90s that was nice looking and fun to drive, but in the first 2 years I had it I had to replace the O2 sensor 5 times. Fortunately it was still under warranty.

How comfortable is it on a 1000 mile trip? [b]How does it handle in heavy rain [/b](since it never snows in south florida)? Other little things that you have to own the car and live with it for 6 months or more to know.[/quote]
Get a set of Tripletreads on whatever you buy. The damn things are amazing. You could drive through a swimming pool and maintain traction. I had a set on my Intrepid before I moved overseas. Well worth the $$

[url="http://www.goodyearassurance.com/html/goodyear_triple/tt_overview_1.html"]http://www.goodyearassurance.com/html/good...overview_1.html[/url]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='495284' date='Jun 4 2007, 03:48 PM']Get a set of Tripletreads on whatever you buy. The damn things are amazing. You could drive through a swimming pool and maintain traction. I had a set on my Intrepid before I moved overseas. Well worth the $$

[url="http://www.goodyearassurance.com/html/goodyear_triple/tt_overview_1.html"]http://www.goodyearassurance.com/html/good...overview_1.html[/url][/quote]

My stepdad works at goodyear and he says those tires are one of the best they build.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='495279' date='Jun 4 2007, 03:43 PM']i rode in a mustang a few times, i wanted to kill myself it was so small, ive also never seen a ford rank anything but terrible on reliability and so on, im a luxury fan myself, if your going to blow 30-35k on a car, might as well grab a lexus es350, or an acura, big, semi quick, dependable, comfy, etc.. tho it seems your geared towards sporty/super fast. im truely not trying to piss on the parade here, but im not turned on by something that i can only enjoy when breaking the law (fast cars) but again, thats just me, and im just a fat guy who likes big luxury cars, and drives a civic.

:thumbsdown:

i would take the "ignore opinions" advice, [b]grab a consumer reports[/b], the latest car edition came out maybe a month or two ago, look at it for reliability and repair history and then test drive for your own personal preference, with opinions you get scewed answers, someone who loves working on cars may say "never had a problem with it" just because they enjoy car work and have replaced a transmission and starter and bent wheel and belts and thought thats no biggie, they did it themselves, while people like me, think changing spark plugs is bullshit... :whistle: i think all american cars are garbage, [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img][/quote]

I looked at the general version while at my parents. There wasn't much detail on the particular models I looked at, but, then again, it was not the vehicle specific guide, but the general one. I will look into that as well. Thanks.

Guest WhoDeyForever
My parents have a Mustang GT and it is pretty decent..Kinda overpriced but it is a nice car. I'm not a big Ford fan..I only really like their Harley Davidson F-150's...I have never drove an Eclipse though or ridden in one so I can't tell you much about that..The Mustang has a lot of power that's for sure.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='495279' date='Jun 4 2007, 03:43 PM']i rode in a mustang a few times, i wanted to kill myself it was so small[/quote]

Word. I wish they were bigger..

Mustangs arent bad in rain...though ihave hydroplaned a few times...but are terrible in snow...but in flordia you shouldnt have a problem with that. That could be credited to the tires as well...i dont no how old they are.

[quote name='JC' post='495399' date='Jun 4 2007, 06:33 PM']Word. I wish they were bigger..
Mustangs arent bad in rain...though ihave hydroplaned a few times...but are terrible in snow...but in flordia you shouldnt have a problem with that. That could be credited to the tires as well...i dont no how old they are.[/quote]

Testify.

My close friend was trying to sell his because he hated driving it in the snow. That may not be an issue with you in FL, but if you ever take it outside of FL during winter months....

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='495177' date='Jun 4 2007, 02:17 PM']What was it that you didnt like about the G6?[/quote]

The G6 has a real cheap looking interior.

If it were me, I'd go with the Stang GT, without a doubt. Probably not the best thing for winter driving though

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='495453' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:21 PM']The G6 has a real cheap looking interior.

If it were me, I'd go with the Stang GT, without a doubt. Probably not the best thing for winter driving though[/quote]well, he does live in florida (doesnt he?)

ill go ahead and state the obvious, the mustang gt is going to have a lot more power than the eclipse but the eclipse will probably handle quick corners better. but since i doubt youll be doing a high speed road course in your next car of choice the difference should be minimal. id go with the mustang but thats just my $.02

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='495453' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:21 PM']The G6 has a real cheap looking interior.

If it were me, I'd go with the Stang GT, without a doubt. Probably not the best thing for winter driving though[/quote]

I have an '07 and have zero complaints.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='495459' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:29 PM']well, he does live in florida ([b]doesnt he?[/b])
ill go ahead and state the obvious, the mustang gt is going to have a lot more power than the eclipse but the eclipse will probably handle quick corners better. but since i doubt youll be doing a high speed road course in your next car of choice the difference should be minimal. id go with the mustang but thats just my $.02[/quote]

Yep. Although if my wife had her way we wouldn't.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='495459' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:29 PM']well, he does live in florida (doesnt he?)
ill go ahead and state the obvious, the mustang gt is going to have a lot more power than the eclipse but the eclipse will probably handle quick corners better. but since i doubt youll be doing a high speed road course in your next car of choice the difference should be minimal. id go with the mustang but thats just my $.02[/quote]

A FWD car will never out handle a RWD car.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='495512' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:04 PM']A FWD car will never out handle a RWD car.[/quote]
That's simply untrue, if you mean on dry pavement. It is up to the skill of the driver. Rear wheel drive cars, ESPECIALLY old-tech cars like the Mustang and Crown Vic (although the Stang may have gone to independent rear suspension finally) with a solid rear axle are the MOST predictable cars to drive through turns.
It's when the road gets slippery when FWD cars dominate. Corvettes are rear-wheel drive, do you honestly believe a FWD 2007 Eclipse handles better than a 2007 Corvette?

Oh, and Jason, I wouldn't buy a Mustang V-8 as a daily driver unless you're making bookoo cash and don't give a crap about gas prices.
Plus, you'll never fit that two-handed sword into EITHER car.
Get a Honda Civic Si, or an Acura. They're fun enough, handle well and get MUCH better gas mileage than a Mustang.
And I don't trust the reliability of Eclipses. They look nice, but...I've known a couple people that haven't been happy with their reliability.

Okay, I'm a huge Mustang fan so I'm biased, but still. Definitely the Mustang. You just can't beat the classic muscle car. They look and sound amazing and they're fun as hell to drive. The mileage is not that bad - I've driven my '01 GT on an 80 mile round trip 6 days a week for the past two years and it really hasn't killed me. You'll see between 25 and 30 MPG on the highway (I average 24MPG over a whole tank).

As far as reliability goes, with both cars it's more about how you take care of it. Keep up with the fluid changes and maintenance and there's no reason either one shouldn't run to 200k. I know a lot of guys with the 4.6 Mustangs running strong at 150k+. I put almost 50,000 miles on my V6 Mustang before it got totaled - it was at 110k with no mechanical problems whatsoever since I bought it. 84k on my GT - I've driven 14k of it - and it still runs fantastically.

Plus, if I drive by you in a new Eclipse, I'll think you're gay. But that's just me.

[quote name='Orange ' post='495530' date='Jun 4 2007, 08:30 PM']Okay, I'm a huge Mustang fan so I'm biased, but still. Definitely the Mustang. You just can't beat the classic muscle car. They look and sound amazing and they're fun as hell to drive. The mileage is not that bad - I've driven my '01 GT on an 80 mile round trip 6 days a week for the past two years and it really hasn't killed me. [b]You'll see between 25 and 30 MPG on the highway (I average 24MPG over a whole tank). [/b]
As far as reliability goes, with both cars it's more about how you take care of it. Keep up with the fluid changes and maintenance and there's no reason either one shouldn't run to 200k. I know a lot of guys with the 4.6 Mustangs running strong at 150k+. I put almost 50,000 miles on my V6 Mustang before it got totaled - it was at 110k with no mechanical problems whatsoever since I bought it. 84k on my GT - I've driven 14k of it - and it still runs fantastically.

Plus, if I drive by you in a new Eclipse, I'll think you're gay. But that's just me.[/quote]
That's bullshit unless you drive like a Grandma. The ONLY way a 4.6 Mustang is going to get that mileage is if you drive it like an old man and his 55 mph Corvette in the slow lane.
As soon as you put your foot in it (which is the fun of having a fast car, no?), you're getting 10mpg. Believe it.

[quote name='Orange ' post='495530' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:30 PM']Okay, I'm a huge Mustang fan so I'm biased, but still. Definitely the Mustang. You just can't beat the classic muscle car. They look and sound amazing and they're fun as hell to drive. The mileage is not that bad - I've driven my '01 GT on an 80 mile round trip 6 days a week for the past two years and it really hasn't killed me. You'll see between 25 and 30 MPG on the highway (I average 24MPG over a whole tank).

Plus, if I drive by you in a new Eclipse, I'll think you're gay. But that's just me.[/quote]

HAHA i just read your sig. I totally forgot i said that. HA.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='495546' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:45 PM']That's bullshit unless you drive like a Grandma. The ONLY way a 4.6 Mustang is going to get that mileage is if you drive it like an old man and his 55 mph Corvette in the slow lane.
As soon as you put your foot in it (which is the fun of having a fast car, no?), you're getting 10mpg. Believe it.[/quote]

Go ahead and put your foot in your mouth until you try it. I calculate my mileage every time I fill up. And believe me I'm going 75 everywhere. The only way you're going to get 10mpg is if you're launching stoplight to stoplight, which is fucking stupid.

[quote name='Orange ' post='495592' date='Jun 4 2007, 09:38 PM']Go ahead and put your foot in your mouth until you try it. I calculate my mileage every time I fill up. And believe me I'm going 75 everywhere. The only way you're going to get 10mpg is if you're launching stoplight to stoplight, which is fucking stupid.[/quote]
I have driven plenty of V-8-powered cars, the last of which was a Crown Vic, which shares the 4.6 liter engine with the Stang as well as the solid rear axle. None has hit better than 20 mpg, and I know the difference between driving old and young.
On average.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Bunghole' post='495546' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:45 PM']That's bullshit unless you drive like a Grandma. The ONLY way a 4.6 Mustang is going to get that mileage is if you drive it like an old man and his 55 mph Corvette in the slow lane.
As soon as you put your foot in it (which is the fun of having a fast car, no?), you're getting 10mpg. Believe it.[/quote]

No, it's not...

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Bunghole' post='495519' date='Jun 4 2007, 10:17 PM']That's simply untrue, if you mean on dry pavement. It is up to the skill of the driver. Rear wheel drive cars, ESPECIALLY old-tech cars like the Mustang and Crown Vic (although the Stang may have gone to independent rear suspension finally) with a solid rear axle are the MOST predictable cars to drive through turns.
It's when the road gets slippery when FWD cars dominate. Corvettes are rear-wheel drive, do you honestly believe a FWD 2007 Eclipse handles better than a 2007 Corvette?[/quote]

Let me re-phrase that then. Any RWD sports car will always out handle a FWD sports car. And what does rain have anything to do with handling? Sure a FWD car has better grip in the rain, but that's because all of the weight is up there. That's obvious. And nothing beats an AWD car in the rain (EVO, WRX, 3/S)

And no, I don't believe a FWD Eclipse handles better than a C6, where the hell did you get that from?

Archived