Bengals' (Chad) Johnson goes beyond silly antics

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals' Johnson goes beyond silly antics[/b][/size]

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 4, 2007

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Come away from talking football with Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson, and it's easy to think, "Wow, this guy knows his stuff. He's more than just a crazy sound bite."
Johnson understands the game, the whole game.

The four-time Pro Bowler breaks down not only his game, but also his teammates' and his opponents'. He knows coverages and where the holes in the secondary are.

"I had a bad year last year," Johnson said the other day after practice at Georgetown College. "Regardless of the numbers I put up, I was inconsistent from Week 1 to 16."

This from the colorful playmaker who had 87 receptions and seven touchdowns and led the NFL with 1,369 receiving yards in 2006 -- following seasons of 97 catches and 1,432 yards in 2005, 95 catches and 1,274 yards in 2004, 90 catches and 1,355 yards in 2003 and 69 catches and 1,166 yards in 2002.
Don't believe the hype, Johnson said.

"I didn't have a great season. If you dissect what I did, I really got lucky in a five-week period."

If you say so.

In consecutive games against San Diego, New Orleans, Cleveland, Baltimore and Oakland, Johnson had 37 receptions for 765 yards and five touchdowns.

He had 11 catches for 260 yards and two touchdowns against the Chargers and six catches for 190 yards and three touchdowns against the Saints.

Johnson, Mr. "Ocho-Cinco" -- the fellow who refers to himself in the third person and never met a catch he couldn't make unless he's playing the Steelers -- lucky?

"I put up abnormal numbers because of luck," Johnson said. "Busted coverages. Somebody slipping down. I'm being realistic."

Among the best interviews in the league, Johnson understands the value of self-promotion.

With Johnson, what you want to see is what you get.

It's a lot easier to believe in a created image than the person behind that image.

Some people refuse to look past Johnson's mouth filled with gold and look-at-me persona because he's cocky and rude, and that's more entertaining than informative and boring.

So when he calls out opponents and creates innovative end-zone dances after scoring touchdowns, consider the source.

It's all a ruse to hide the fact that he's a serious student who sees the game like a coach.

When discussing the necessity to become a more complete receiver this season, Johnson morphed into a different person.

He was soft-spoken, humble, introspective.

"I really want them to use me more so I can be more of a help inside so I don't have those slumps like I did within that five-week period," Johnson said. "More (catches) underneath."

Said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis: "I think he's practicing hard. I think he's stronger. I think he's very, very fast right now. He's doing a much better job of running (with) the football after he catches it. He's been working very, very good."

Who needs luck, when the only direction for Johnson to go is up?[/quote]

[url="http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/news/s_520583.html"]http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburgh...s/s_520583.html[/url]

Only one complaint you can really have about the guy. You just wish he was able to motivate himself some other way than irritating the competition.

Y'know... I just saw that highlight against the Browns where Chad got his bell rung. Which reminded me of that awful hit on TJ during one of the last 3, can't remember which. Both got me thinking that if I was an NFL WR, it would probably only take one of those hits to humble me into letting my actions speak for me instead of my mouth. The only position I can think of where it would be even dumber to talk smack to the opposition, would of course be QB or possibly the Kickers. WR are so vulnerable over the middle. I'm just glad he hasn't ever gotten hit hard enough to be seriously injured.

He talks of reverting "back to his 2005 days." God I hope not. Because he really used to "ask for it." Sometimes he would get it too, and it was never to the benefit of the team. At best it was ignored, at worse his antics cost the team one way or another either by distractions penalties or both. I was happy not to see that Chad in 2006. Now he wants to go back to his less mature self? Jeez Chad, please just shut the hell up and be very successful on the way to your first of many Super Bowl victories as a Bengal. Didn't the playoffs in pissburgh teach him anything?

Oh well, I guess the best we can hope for is that he continues to set the NFL on fire with his production, and his antics aren't too much of a detrement to the rest of the team and himself.

[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='521721' date='Aug 5 2007, 11:23 AM']hhhmmmm...interesting.

haters?.... :P[/quote]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='521735' date='Aug 5 2007, 12:01 PM']Don't waste your time Beotch, Go will find something negative to say about him.
MULLY[/quote]

what, he says himself what ive been saying for a year now and i should be speechless.

i agree ocho stinko. you slacked hard core last year and got lucky for some nice numbers. there is ar eason he was 3rd in wr' TD's even behind a #3 who missed 3 games...

hopefully the cocksucker gets his shit straight. all thing point to it happening.

All that smack only juices the opposing secondary.. Not only laying for Chad but Tj and Henry as well.
Recall all three getting pretty banged up last year..
I wish he'd keep his mouth closed somewhat and just concentrate on being there in crucial situations.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='521852' date='Aug 5 2007, 04:48 PM']All that smack only juices the opposing secondary.. Not only laying for Chad but Tj and Henry as well.
Recall all three getting pretty banged up last year..
I wish he'd keep his mouth closed somewhat and just concentrate on being there in crucial situations.[/quote]
[quote name='Storm' post='521857' date='Aug 5 2007, 04:57 PM']Chad the receiver is good but the circus sideshow act is a distraction to the team, he should keep his mouth shut and play football[/quote]

i dont mind the circus stuff as much when he is performing and doing what he is supposed to, the whole sleepnig at the stdium studying tape forever hasnt been done in years, word has it he has had late nights recently with gamefilm and so on. lets hope it carries over into the season tho.

i dont care if he is a cunt and gets 95 yards per game. but being a cuntbag and playing games while being a non factor for WEEKS, isnt cool in my book.

Didn't the Pitsburgh paper do a story on Carson recently too? I thankfully can't speak for Steelers fans, but I'd be livid if the Enquirer was spending training camp writing articles about Big Ben and Hinez Ward.

[quote name='mongo' post='521864' date='Aug 5 2007, 05:25 PM']Didn't the Pitsburgh paper do a story on Carson recently too? I thankfully can't speak for Steelers fans, but I'd be livid if the Enquirer was spending training camp writing articles about Big Ben and Hinez Ward.[/quote]

i think they are playing patsy with fans, going on and on about how good everyone else is, preparing for several ass kickings they should get this year.

[quote name='Storm' post='521857' date='Aug 5 2007, 04:57 PM']Chad the receiver is good but the circus sideshow act is a distraction to the team, he should keep his mouth shut and play football[/quote]

Yeah, just like all of Joey Porters woofing cost the Steelers the Super Bowl. Oh wait, actually he backed it up and that little bitch Jeremy stevens is still crying.

Chad doesn't get hit any harder because he talks trash. EVERYONE in the NFL gets hit hard. TJ kepps his mouth shut and he misses games with injury every year. Chad talks shit, backs it up, and never misses a game.

His whole thoery is to get the DBs thinking more abiout laying him out than playing smart defense, and it works. It is called getting in the opponents head. Ali invebted it against Sonny Liston and great boxers are still doing it today. Mayweather called the Golden Boy a pussy before spanking his ass.

So let Chad talk as long as he backs it up. It seems to be working just fine. He hasn't missed a game and you can't argue with his production. His poor play at times last year had nothing to do with his trash talk.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='522100' date='Aug 6 2007, 12:23 PM']So let Chad talk [b]as long as he backs it up[/b]. It seems to be working just fine. He hasn't missed a game and you can't argue with his production. [b]His poor play at times last year[/b] had nothing to do with his trash talk.[/quote]
perhaps you've discovered why folks grow tired of his mouth, right there

Archived