I don't think so.

When he comes back, the Bengals should have the best passing game in the league. On par with Indy.

That, plus the holes Whitworth will open up that Steinbach couldn't, tells me that Rudi is going to have a great second half of the season.

*please keep everyone healthy - please keep everyone healthy*

Anyone think we should extend him if he stays out of trouble this season? His contract is up in 2009 so he would have 2 years left, but he will be really expensive after the 2008 season. He will still be fairly cheap at the end of this season, and if he can keep his nose clean, he will turn out to be the best receiver on this team.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='526030' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:12 PM']Anyone think we should extend him if he stays out of trouble this season? His contract is up in 2009 so he would have 2 years left, but he will be really expensive after the 2008 season. He will still be fairly cheap at the end of this season, and if he can keep his nose clean, he will turn out to be the best receiver on this team.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]No. If I was the Bengals, I'd wait until after the 2008 season before I would entertain any
thoughts of extending his contract. Hopefully by then, Henry would have proved that he
had grown up by then.[/b][/color]

[quote name='ONYX' post='526032' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:17 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]No. If I was the Bengals, I'd wait until after the 2008 season before I would entertain any
thoughts of extending his contract. Hopefully by then, Henry would have proved that he
had grown up by then.[/b][/color][/quote]

tabernacle

[quote name='ccartman2' post='526030' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:12 PM']Anyone think we should extend him if he stays out of trouble this season? His contract is up in 2009 so he would have 2 years left, but he will be really expensive after the 2008 season. He will still be fairly cheap at the end of this season, and if he can keep his nose clean, he will turn out to be the best receiver on this team.[/quote]

im with onyx, waiting it out, i know his value is zero right now, but through 2009 is a long time, 3 seasons, i think mid 2008 or after 2008 if he stays clean and keeps performing.. his status will play a large factor in TJ's status come close of the 2008 season.

[quote name='sneaky' post='526032' date='Aug 10 2007, 10:17 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]No. If I was the Bengals, I'd wait until after the 2008 season before I would entertain any
had grown up by then.[/b][/color][/quote]

I wouldn't extend him until his contract was up. The Bengals have all kinds of leverage against him. We signed him to a much longer than usual contract as a rookie.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='526064' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:32 AM']I wouldn't extend him until his contract was up. The Bengals have all kinds of leverage against him. We signed him to a much longer than usual contract as a rookie.[/quote]
Yeah, the longer you wait the better in this situation. If the Bengals were to give an extension to Henry and he gets in trouble again, the Bengals get screwed over. If he keeps his nose clean until his contract expires, then sign him a new one, but don't push the issue. The organization has already lost on too many gambles and extending Henry before his current contract expires would be a gamble, IMO.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='526064' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:32 AM']I wouldn't extend him until his contract was up. The Bengals have all kinds of leverage against him. We signed him to a much longer than usual contract as a rookie.[/quote]

not really, the 5 year rookie deal isnt that odd anymore. also a guy who in 13 games, scored more td's than the NFL leader in yards did in 16, and tied for first palce on the team in just 13 games, isnt someone you want testing the market with teams like dallas and washington willing to give him TO money for no reason.

[quote name='CantStop85.' post='526071' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:53 AM']Yeah, the longer you wait the better in this situation. If the Bengals were to give an extension to Henry and he gets in trouble again, the Bengals get screwed over. If he keeps his nose clean until his contract expires, then sign him a new one, but don't push the issue. The organization has already lost on too many gambles and extending Henry before his current contract expires would be a gamble, IMO.[/quote]

the longer you wait the better? if he gets in trouble and kicekd out of the league, the bengals owe him nothing. he isnt on paid leave for 8 weeks, thats without pay, and nfl ban = no money bitch. the BEST time is now, but is "hasty" and would be mini slap in face to conduct policy, hey this guy fucked up a buncha times, best lock him up long term. the best time moneywise, is now or right after the year, chances are he isnt gonna start sucking ass anytime soon. so why wait for him to build huge stats and numbers and succeed and build great value before extending?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='526087' date='Aug 11 2007, 01:44 AM']not really, the 5 year rookie deal isnt that odd anymore. also a guy who in 13 games, scored more td's than the NFL leader in yards did in 16, and tied for first palce on the team in just 13 games, isnt someone you want testing the market with teams like dallas and washington willing to give him TO money for no reason.
the longer you wait the better? if he gets in trouble and kicekd out of the league, the bengals owe him nothing. he isnt on paid leave for 8 weeks, thats without pay, and nfl ban = no money bitch. the BEST time is now, but is "hasty" and would be mini slap in face to conduct policy, hey this guy fucked up a buncha times, best lock him up long term. the best time moneywise, is now or right after the year, chances are he isnt gonna start sucking ass anytime soon. so why wait for him to build huge stats and numbers and succeed and build great value before extending?[/quote]
great post. i would try to work a deal with him when he is back from his suspension. maybe start talks around week 11 or 12 and try to wrap them up before the offseason hits.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='526088' date='Aug 11 2007, 01:57 AM']great post. i would try to work a deal with him when he is back from his suspension. maybe start talks around week 11 or 12 and try to wrap them up before the offseason hits.[/quote]

i think thats a bit early, extending a player during a year he was suspended half of, seems like a bad idea... mid 08 wouldnt be a bad plan tho

[quote name='GoBengals' post='526089' date='Aug 11 2007, 01:58 AM']i think thats a bit early, extending a player during a year he was suspended half of, seems like a bad idea... mid 08 wouldnt be a bad plan tho[/quote]
i believe this year is a better idea and here is why. i have a feeling the offense will be solid till henry comes back, but when henry comes back i think the offense is going to LOOK and BE significantly better. I think if we waited till mid 08 he would command a lot more money than he would late 07 (a year in which he is suspended). henry is a TD maker and carson loves him. lock him up now and cheap.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='526105' date='Aug 11 2007, 02:31 AM']i believe this year is a better idea and here is why. i have a feeling the offense will be solid till henry comes back, but when henry comes back i think the offense is going to LOOK and BE significantly better. I think if we waited till mid 08 he would command a lot more money than he would late 07 (a year in which he is suspended). henry is a TD maker and carson loves him. lock him up now and cheap.[/quote]

we have enough enemies, extending henry in a year goodall suspended him for half of, seems like a bad idea.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='526116' date='Aug 11 2007, 07:55 AM']u can also look at is as rewarding someone who has turned their life around.[/quote]
I would take more than 3 weeks to make this determination, don't you think?

By all means, if he keeps his head out of his ass, we should resign him, but I'm with go. Let 07 play out, let him prove his status on and more importantly OFF the field, and take it from there.

Besides, if we find out the first 8 weeks of this season that Perry/Brazell/Green are fucking studs when given playing time, you have a lot more to think about. Give it some time to play out.

Slim 15 did look damn good on Thursday night, though.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='526105' date='Aug 11 2007, 02:31 AM']i believe this year is a better idea and here is why. i have a feeling the offense will be solid till henry comes back, but when henry comes back i think the offense is going to LOOK and BE significantly better. I think if we waited till mid 08 he would command a lot more money than he would late 07 (a year in which he is suspended). henry is a TD maker and carson loves him. lock him up now and cheap.[/quote]

Love the idea of extending him now on the cheap. The guy WILL be a Pro Bowl WR if he can stay on the field, but he can be locked up for pennies on the dollar due to his current status.

As far as pissing off Goodell, I don't really care at this point. He's already shown he's gonna fuck with us no matter what we do, so as far as I'm concerned, it's war, and we need to protect our assets. I have no doubt Goodell would like nothing more than to see Henry wearing piss and black.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='526148' date='Aug 11 2007, 10:05 AM']I'd do it training camp '08. If he can make it that long, he will have stayed out of trouble for two off-seaons and one regular season where he had 10 weeks of free time (about a year and a half of clean time right?).[/quote]

This is where I was thinking, is sometime in the 08 off-season. After 08 he has 1 year left and he may want to get away from Kentucky and Cincy at that point. Plus, and I know none of us really want to think it, but Chad and TJ are both going to be over 30 when next season starts and the Bengals don't have a great history with over 30 receivers. It is a risk, but the money can be tied to incentives, which if he stays on the field, he can easily reach.

We're still going to pay a lot for him. he's going for the big bucks. Its a selling point his agent has been stressing all this time to keep him in line. His agent knows his worth and with all that has been done to him by the anal league and fanatical judge. His lightbulb is finally on. Its the millions upon millions he can earn. Its the only thing that makes this hermit lifestyle worth it.

No, we will pay a lot for him even early now. If we wait it will be even more but we will never get him cheap. The league has seen to that with all the crap that has been heaped on him (deserved or not, Tagliabue wouldn't have done this since its not good for the league).

This new sanitary lifestyle the league demands costs serious jack. Players don't put up with it unless they get paid more. I mean all players and even journeymen. Even misfits will get paid more because a rising tide raises all boats but when Henry's payday comes he won't be classified as a misfit but as an elite who turned it around.

Here's an idea. With all the money coming his way, he can buy a police force to work for him part time for good pay. He'll never have another problem again in that chosen city.

[quote name='Jeb' post='526201' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:32 PM']We're still going to pay a lot for him. he's going for the big bucks. Its a selling point his agent has been stressing all this time to keep him in line. His agent knows his worth and with all that has been done to him by the anal league and fanatical judge. His lightbulb is finally on. Its the millions upon millions he can earn. Its the only thing that makes this hermit lifestyle worth it.

No, we will pay a lot for him even early now. If we wait it will be even more but we will never get him cheap. The league has seen to that with all the crap that has been heaped on him (deserved or not, Tagliabue wouldn't have done this since its not good for the league).

This new sanitary lifestyle the league demands costs serious jack. Players don't put up with it unless they get paid more. I mean all players and even journeymen. Even misfits will get paid more because a rising tide raises all boats but when Henry's payday comes he won't be classified as a misfit but as an elite who turned it around.[/quote]

I can see where you are coming from but I don't agree that Henry needs any motivation to stay straight other than maintaining the previledge of playing in the NFL. Even without a heft contract Henry stands to make 100x more in the NFL than he would in regular workforce. Even if he were to go to Canada he would still be taking a significant pay cut.

Right now his price will be cheap because he is one strike away from a 1yr banishment, and has yet to conclusively show he can be counted on to stay in line. Even if he is able to land a good yearky salary, no one is going to want to drop a load in bonus money. Even after this season he wil be tarnished goods.

I say lock him up during the next offseason... Be agressive and entice him with incentives that will allow him to make more depending on performance. You don't have to make it dependent on behavior since another infraction means he is not playing anyway.

[quote name='Lucid' post='526210' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:46 PM']I can see where you are coming from but I don't agree that Henry needs any motivation to stay straight other than maintaining the previledge of playing in the NFL. Even without a heft contract Henry stands to make 100x more in the NFL than he would in regular workforce. Even if he were to go to Canada he would still be taking a significant pay cut.

Right now his price will be cheap because he is one strike away from a 1yr banishment, and has yet to conclusively show he can be counted on to stay in line. Even if he is able to land a good yearky salary, no one is going to want to drop a load in bonus money. Even after this season he wil be tarnished goods.

I say lock him up during the next offseason... Be agressive and entice him with incentives that will allow him to make more depending on performance. You don't have to make it dependent on behavior since another infraction means he is not playing anyway.[/quote]

That's what you want. That's not what he and his agent want. They will turn down a lowball offer.

Archived