Look what I just bought

MULLY

Not as flashy as a new Mustang or a super truck but I'm happy. Notice I kept it real with the orange and black....WHO-DEY!!! I just put my order in at the bike shop about an hour and half ago. It will be here in 2 weeks. I'm tall so I had to order a larger frame. But I got the exact same one as this picture. Cool and the gang, baby!!
MULLY
since I'll use it for regular city riding I didn't see the point in paying the extra 200 bucks for disc brakes.

[img]http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4839/rk5000blkorgre1.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='526134' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:59 PM']Not as flashy as a new Mustang or a super truck but I'm happy. Notice I kept it real with the orange and black....WHO-DEY!!! I just put my order in at the bike shop about an hour and half ago. It will be here in 2 weeks. I'm tall so I had to order a larger frame. But I got the exact same one as this picture. Cool and the gang, baby!!
MULLY
since I'll use it for regular city riding I didn't see the point in paying the extra 200 bucks for disc brakes.

[img]http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4839/rk5000blkorgre1.jpg[/img][/quote]
Very smart move sticking with the fat tires. I bought a bike this spring, which has those thin ass road tires on it. Every little bump is like hitting a pothole. It sucks. I like it other than that, but wished I would have gone with more of the off-road thing.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='526134' date='Aug 11 2007, 07:59 AM']Not as flashy as a new Mustang or a super truck but I'm happy. Notice I kept it real with the orange and black....WHO-DEY!!! I just put my order in at the bike shop about an hour and half ago. It will be here in 2 weeks. I'm tall so I had to order a larger frame. But I got the exact same one as this picture. Cool and the gang, baby!!
MULLY

[img]http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4839/rk5000blkorgre1.jpg[/img][/quote]

Dude, you call this doing your part??? If every American doesn't do his or her part to use up every last bit of oil, then how the hell are we ever going to get out of the middle east?

I like the orange, though.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='526318' date='Aug 11 2007, 01:55 PM']Dude, you call this doing your part??? If every American doesn't do his or her part to use up every last bit of oil, then how the hell are we ever going to get out of the middle east?[/quote]
X2!!!!!!
WTF is wrong with you?????
You're in Japan on a mission to represent American consumption...
:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='526456' date='Aug 12 2007, 11:41 AM']X2!!!!!!
WTF is wrong with you?????
You're in Japan on a mission to represent American consumption...
:lol:[/quote]

I see where you guys are coming from, and I really wish I could help, but check this out.

Father: Died 49 years old from heart attack
Grandfather: Died 64 years old from heart attack
Grandfather: Died 63 years old from heart attack

MULLY: 39 years old, 6'1 370lbs.

As much as I'd like to waste gasoline and eat things from styrofoam containers I just can't justify doing that against having a heart attack at an early age. The bicycle is the way to go.
MULLY

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='526156' date='Aug 11 2007, 11:14 PM']Very smart move sticking with the fat tires. I bought a bike this spring, which has those thin ass road tires on it. Every little bump is like hitting a pothole. It sucks. I like it other than that, but wished I would have gone with more of the off-road thing.[/quote]

Yeah, my wife's bike has those thin road tires. You're absolutely right, every bump is like a pothole. I also figured because of my weight the thick tires would be the way to go.

The bike that is 1 grade up from the one I bought has disc brakes. The one point, just looking at, that I liked is that the rims are black. The tires look extra fat like that. The downside to that bike though is the colors available. Blue, black, or yellow. The yellow, in my opinion, was the best of the 3 but alas, they are Stealer colors and no way I could ride that around town without a twinge of shame. I must admit though that the yellow/black combination looks pretty good.
MULLY

[img]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8357/rk5500yelpa5.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='526626' date='Aug 12 2007, 05:36 PM']Yeah, my wife's bike has those thin road tires. You're absolutely right, every bump is like a pothole. I also figured because of my weight the thick tires would be the way to go.

The bike that is 1 grade up from the one I bought has disc brakes. The one point, just looking at, that I liked is that the rims are black. The tires look extra fat like that. The downside to that bike though is the colors available. Blue, black, or yellow. The yellow, in my opinion, was the best of the 3 but alas, they are Stealer colors and no way I could ride that around town without a twinge of shame. I must admit though that the yellow/black combination looks pretty good.
MULLY

[img]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8357/rk5500yelpa5.jpg[/img][/quote]
Yeah, I really screwed up with the road tires. Besides the numerous bumps on the road, I can't take it anywhere off the road or sidewalk. Which sucks because I live in a pretty busy place traffic wise, and there are some nice paths to ride off road that I discovered after buying the bike. <_<

Giants are good bikes. I have one, a mountain bike. But mine has the clipless pedals and all. I like to ride off the beaten path, here's a picture of one of the trails I like to ride:

[img]http://www.gunks.com/images/bike/jockeyhill/mainpage_image.jpg[/img]

[quote name='steggyD' post='526746' date='Aug 13 2007, 06:20 AM']Giants are good bikes. I have one, a mountain bike. But mine has the clipless pedals and all. I like to ride off the beaten path, here's a picture of one of the trails I like to ride:

[img]http://www.gunks.com/images/bike/jockeyhill/mainpage_image.jpg[/img][/quote]

Excuse my ignorance but what are clipless pedals?
MULLY

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='526743' date='Aug 13 2007, 06:11 AM']Yeah, I really screwed up with the road tires. Besides the numerous bumps on the road, I can't take it anywhere off the road or sidewalk. Which sucks because I live in a pretty busy place traffic wise, and there are some nice paths to ride off road that I discovered after buying the bike. <_<[/quote]

Yeah, I live in an area with pretty heavy traiffc too. Not too thrilled when a car comes bareling out of a side street or parking garage without making a proper stop first. Many a time I've almost been clipped. I ride pretty defensively though so I'm not too worried. I slow down and listen really hard for car engines, watch for lights coming etc... Last thing I want is to get killed riding a damn bicycle.

I can't wait for it to get here. I'm gonna have a blast riding it. Only thing is like when I go to the gym, supermarket etc... I'll need some way to carry things and a basket seems like the only way to go. I was looking at the rear carriers but in all honesty, it's a flat piece of aluminum about 6 inches wide. What the fuck can you carry on that? I thought about saddle bags too but they seem like a pain in the ass. Looks like I'll go with a basket. 10 years ago there wouldn't have been any way whatsoever that you could convince me to put a basket on a bicycle, how fucking gay. Now, I'm almost 40 and comfort comes first. If I have to have a basket on my bike or carry a heavy ass shopping bag in my hand, fuck that, I'll take the basket. hehe!!
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='526469' date='Aug 11 2007, 09:22 PM']I see where you guys are coming from, and I really wish I could help, but check this out.

Father: Died 49 years old from heart attack
Grandfather: Died 64 years old from heart attack
Grandfather: Died 63 years old from heart attack

MULLY: 39 years old, 6'1 370lbs.

As much as I'd like to waste gasoline and eat things from styrofoam containers I just can't justify doing that against having a heart attack at an early age. The bicycle is the way to go.
MULLY[/quote]
I was kidding and I am sorry to hear of your family history of heart attacks. And you're right: at your weight (no offense intended) you could probably use the exercise.
I never realized from seeing pics of you that you are almost 400 lbs! How does that happen eating the Japanese diet?
Do you smoke, too?

It's kinda like connecting to skis. There is a metal tab in shoes made specifically for the pedals. They connect so that every motion your foot makes, the pedal is moving, so you get continuous work from your pedaling motion.

When you pedal without being connected to the pedal, you are losing energy on the upturn when the pedal comes back around. But with the clipless pedals, your foot actually pulls the pedal up when you're coming back around. It doesn't seem like much on little rides, but if you do an entire trail, up and down hills for over an hour or two, that lost energy really adds up.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='526802' date='Aug 13 2007, 01:28 AM']Yeah, I live in an area with pretty heavy traiffc too. Not too thrilled when a car comes bareling out of a side street or parking garage without making a proper stop first. Many a time I've almost been clipped. I ride pretty defensively though so I'm not too worried. I slow down and listen really hard for car engines, watch for lights coming etc... Last thing I want is to get killed riding a damn bicycle.

I can't wait for it to get here. I'm gonna have a blast riding it. Only thing is like when I go to the gym, supermarket etc... I'll need some way to carry things and a basket seems like the only way to go. I was looking at the rear carriers but in all honesty, it's a flat piece of aluminum about 6 inches wide. What the fuck can you carry on that? I thought about saddle bags too but they seem like a pain in the ass. Looks like I'll go with a basket. 10 years ago there wouldn't have been any way whatsoever that you could convince me to put a basket on a bicycle, how fucking gay. Now, I'm almost 40 and comfort comes first. If I have to have a basket on my bike or carry a heavy ass shopping bag in my hand, fuck that, I'll take the basket. hehe!!
MULLY[/quote]
Oh yeah. My bike is a "grocery getter" (well, beer bringer it prolly a more accurate assesment ^_^ ). Rack on the back, but no basket. I usually bring a backpack if I need to carry anything that I can't get to stay on the rack.

The traffic patterns around here are screwy. Lots of one way streets, and of course, these fuckers dont' know which side of the road to drive on :D Still, it's nice to get out and ride every so often. I used to ride all the time when I was a kid, sometimes 15-20 miles a day. I'm a bit lazy for that these days (not to mention out of shape) but I still enjoy biking.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='526803' date='Aug 13 2007, 09:30 AM']I was kidding and I am sorry to hear of your family history of heart attacks. And you're right: at your weight (no offense intended) you could probably use the exercise.
I never realized from seeing pics of you that you are almost 400 lbs! How does that happen eating the Japanese diet?
Do you smoke, too?[/quote]

Nah, I knew you guys were kidding. It's all good. And no offense taken, bro, my big ass needs exercise. I go to the gym 6 days a week though. I'm close to 400lbs but I carry it really well. I'm just a big fucking guy. I know Big Sam was about the same weight as me and I've asked a lot of people "Do I look like that?" and everyone says not even close. Because he is a big fat fucker and if I look like that then I want to just kill myself. hehe! Anyway, I took this photo literally 2 minutes ago. Just to give you an idea of size, my jersey is a 56 and that's a 2 litre bottle I'm holding. And yeah, I'm a smoker.
MULLY
and we can't forget the photo of the guns to go with it. The guns photo was taken a month or so ago.

[img]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6648/weight005ks7.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2823/thegunsgh2.jpg[/img]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='526809' date='Aug 13 2007, 09:44 AM']Oh yeah. My bike is a "grocery getter" (well, beer bringer it prolly a more accurate assesment ^_^ ). Rack on the back, but no basket. I usually bring a backpack if I need to carry anything that I can't get to stay on the rack.[/quote]

Yeah, personally, I think baskets on bicycles are for old ladies and fags. Especially on a mountain bike. But in Japan the standard bicycle looks like this...

[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4424/zbikecp5.jpg[/img]

This is what *everyone* rides. I'm talking literally school kids to old people, men and women. For Americans this is a girls bike. A mountain bike is really a big step out of the norm for most people. Go to any bicycle parking and you'll find 5 or 6 hundred of these bikes and less than 10 mountain bikes. So, with that in mind, I don't mind getting a basket put on mine. If I was in the States I'd probably not get a basket.
MULLY

I ride my bike - a road bike - all the time. Yes, fat tires with tons of tread are nice when you want to cut through some grass or something, but they aren't so sweet when you're pulling up a huge hill and you want the least resistance possible.

For groceries, I go with a bag on my back; I use a messenger bag-type thing. I basically walk around Kroger's with that hand basket thing, and I know whatever will fit in there will fit in my bag. Then, when I checkout, I don't put any of that shit in plastic bags, just straight into my own bag - and collect 5 cents from Kroger for my good ecological thinking. :thumbsup: Whenever I am picking up carryout, Gold Star, for example, I just hook the bag onto my forearm and let it hang.

I know a basket would do me good - I have a funny story. Once as I was leaving Kroger, I had a little too much shit, so I pulled the loaf of bread out and just held it in my hand which was gripping the handlebar. While making a turn, the bread swung a little, the spokes grabbed it and pulled it and it got stuck between the fork and the wheel, right at the front brake. As soon as this happened, half the bread instantly shredded and flew up in my face in little bits, and started making a horrible noise. A bunch of black guys were hanging out on the sidewalk near where it happened, and they started cracking up and hollering at me, so I pedaled a little ways (which was hard since this shit was seriously slowing me down), then ripped off a chunk and dropped it, and went on my way.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='526869' date='Aug 13 2007, 11:48 AM']I ride my bike - a road bike - all the time. Yes, fat tires with tons of tread are nice when you want to cut through some grass or something, but they aren't so sweet when you're pulling up a huge hill and you want the least resistance possible.[/quote]

Ah, that's not gonna be a problem for me. Where I live is relatively flat.

MULLY

Archived