MY "VICIOUS" PIT BULL

DICKMAN

Dogs aren't born bad, not even pitbulls. The reason they get a bad rap is cause so many of them are trained to fight and therefor when some of them are given to other families or are stop being involved in fighting, they are likely to attack at random because of how they've been raised.

But if you raise a pitbull from the time it's born like a family pet or just your regular dog, they're no more likely to attack at random than any other breed of dog. If they were just "born evil" like some people believe, then all pitbulls would have to have 1 specific gene common in their dna that other dogs don't have to make them that way, which they don't.

Cute dog by the way ^_^

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='552236' date='Sep 19 2007, 08:47 AM']Dogs aren't born bad, not even pitbulls. The reason they get a bad rap is cause so many of them are trained to fight and therefor when some of them are given to other families or are stop being involved in fighting, they are likely to attack at random because of how they've been raised.

But if you raise a pitbull from the time it's born like a family pet or just your regular dog, they're no more likely to attack at random than any other breed of dog. If they were just "born evil" like some people believe, then all pitbulls would have to have 1 specific gene common in their dna that other dogs don't have to make them that way, which they don't.

Cute dog by the way ^_^[/quote]
That's just not true. It's not the Pit's fault that it is the way it is. They aren't "born bad". The point is that for generations upon generations of the dog, they were SPECIFICALLY bred for fighting, and that is a trait in their blood that you simply cannot wish away, nor can you always "train it away".
It is ALMOST like making the argument that you cannot believe your pet tiger killed someone because you'd had it since a kitten, raised it right, it was so cute, never hurt anyone,etc. Then one day something set it off.
Notice I said "almost", as I am well aware that pit bulls are domesticated and tigers are wild animals.

i'm about as big of a dog lover as there are... but i don't trust pit bulls... i have seen plenty that were GREAT dogs, but they were bred to whoop ass, and they have the power and athleticism to do it... although, i trust pits much faster than chow-chows... you simply never can trust those fuckers...

the main reason i won't own one is b/c i made a pact w/ myself and my wife that if any of our dogs (we love big dogs) hurts a kid or attacks someone for no good reason, we will put them down in a heartbeat... with that being said, it would be more of a possiblity of me having to do that w/ a pit or chow than most other dogs...

btw, my golden retriever has uncanny instincts to track and kill birds... my german shephard has an insane ability to not only catch when anyone walks passed my house, but also scare the fuck out of them b/c he was bred as mainly a protective dog..

guess what instinct is prevalent in pits? fighting...

btw, the comment about goldens having worse temperment is absolutely comical... dumbest thing i've ever read... my golden about pisses herself when i simply raise my voice and every golden i've ever met has been puppy-like, but also very gentle dogs...

dickman, you act like a teenager... grow up... you won't last long here bashing on veterans on this board...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='552279' date='Sep 19 2007, 11:53 AM']i'm about as big of a dog lover as there are... but i don't trust pit bulls... i have seen plenty that were GREAT dogs, but they were bred to whoop ass, and they have the power and athleticism to do it... although, i trust pits much faster than chow-chows... you simply never can trust those fuckers...

the main reason i won't own one is b/c i made a pact w/ myself and my wife that if any of our dogs (we love big dogs) hurts a kid or attacks someone for no good reason, we will put them down in a heartbeat... with that being said, it would be more of a possiblity of me having to do that w/ a pit or chow than most other dogs...

btw, my golden retriever has uncanny instincts to track and kill birds... my german shephard has an insane ability to not only catch when anyone walks passed my house, but also scare the fuck out of them b/c he was bred as mainly a protective dog..

guess what instinct is prevalent in pits? fighting...

btw, the comment about goldens having worse temperment is absolutely comical... dumbest thing i've ever read... my golden about pisses herself when i simply raise my voice and every golden i've ever met has been puppy-like, but also very gentle dogs...

dickman, you act like a teenager... grow up... you won't last long here bashing on veterans on this board...[/quote]

Well, my Rott has never bit anyone. Never acted like she was going to, either. Its just how the dog was raised. She's a 4 year old 120+ female, and I've never had any problems with her. She's vicious when she has to be like this one time when a dog attacked us when i was walking her.. Other than that, she's just a little doggy. I raise my voice at her, and she goes and hides behind something and peeks around the corner at me. Its just how the dogs raised. Raise your dog right, and they'll behave right

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='552324' date='Sep 19 2007, 01:03 PM']Well, my Rott has never bit anyone. Never acted like she was going to, either. Its just how the dog was raised. She's a 4 year old 120+ female, and I've never had any problems with her. She's vicious when she has to be like this one time when a dog attacked us when i was walking her.. Other than that, she's just a little doggy. I raise my voice at her, and she goes and hides behind something and peeks around the corner at me. Its just how the dogs raised. Raise your dog right, and they'll behave right[/quote]

while i agree that it matters how they are raised, rotties were not raised as fighting dogs either... they are much like german shephards and are mostly protective dogs (which they also do well :) ) but they were not trained for centuries as fighting dogs, which is the sole reason i'm afraid to let my kids or someone elses kids in front of a pit (if i had one)...

i have a 130 lbs. shephard and i wouldn't budge to leave my kids with him, b/c he would guard them with his life...

[quote name='sigshoota' post='552225' date='Sep 19 2007, 10:15 AM']I agree with ya Dickman, pits generally get a bad rap because of careless or abusive owners, heres my girl she's 13 weeks and just as sweet as can be
[img]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/clydes3/DSC00324.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/clydes3/DSC00267.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/clydes3/DSC00148.jpg[/img][/quote]
Love the color..

A buddy of mine had a female pitt and it was a great dog. However, the question you have to ask yourself is, Is it worth the risk? By the pictures of your little girl I would say NO! It only takes a second and it will be all over with. You may never have a problem, but then again I hope for your sake the "It will never happen to me" cliché doesn't happen.

Measure the risk then make your choice...it should be clear as day.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='552625' date='Sep 19 2007, 05:29 PM']A buddy of mine had a female pitt and it was a great dog. However, the question you have to ask yourself is, Is it worth the risk? By the pictures of your little girl I would say NO! It only takes a second and it will be all over with. You may never have a problem, but then again I hope for your sake the "It will never happen to me" cliché doesn't happen.

Measure the risk then make your choice...it should be clear as day.[/quote]
That's really been my point all along. You just cannot predict something like that, and in most cases, everything is just fine, but if your dog becomes another statistic...then what do you say or do?
"She/he was such a great dog...I don't understand what happened!"

[quote name='Bunghole' post='552630' date='Sep 19 2007, 07:44 PM']That's really been my point all along. You just cannot predict something like that, and in most cases, everything is just fine, but if your dog becomes another statistic...then what do you say or do?
"She/he was such a great dog...I don't understand what happened!"[/quote]

put it down instantly... it would be one of the harder things to do, but about the easiest decision i would ever make...

if i didn't have this mentality, i would probably get a pit... they are usually good dogs, with INCREDIBLE athleticsm, but it would suck to have to put a dog down....

[quote name='bengalrick' post='552921' date='Sep 20 2007, 08:41 AM']put it down instantly... it would be one of the harder things to do, but about the easiest decision i would ever make...

if i didn't have this mentality, i would probably get a pit... they are usually good dogs, with INCREDIBLE athleticsm, but it would suck to have to put a dog down....[/quote]
But that is just it...I would never own a dog like that because not only would you be legally responsible for the result of the attack, but I would have my conscience to deal with for the rest of my life over making a decision to own a pet that is potentially dangerous.
Putting down a dog after the fact is meaningless. Something bad already happened that could have been prevented by not owning such a breed in the first place.
I do realize that most Pits in the hands of good, loving owners are not problems, it's the shitheads that don't keep them leashed/contained properly.
That still doesn't mean it isn't a dangerous dog...especially to children.
There's not a fence in the world I would trust to keep a dog like that in.
We used to have a Pit owner around here that would let ir run around wherever, and didn't walk it on a leash. It was a puppy, but when it grew up....?
I considered shooting the damn thing with my shotgun one day (putting it out of it's misery for the lack of a responsible owner) when it wandered into MY dog's territory (our yard), but I called the cops and that dog disappeared...and now the owner got evicted too (for other reasons).
It was a happy day.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='552279' date='Sep 19 2007, 08:53 AM']btw, the comment about goldens having worse temperment is absolutely comical... dumbest thing i've ever read... my golden about pisses herself when i simply raise my voice and every golden i've ever met has been puppy-like, but also very gentle dogs...

dickman, you act like a teenager... grow up... you won't last long here bashing on veterans on this board...[/quote]

comical huh?dumbest thing you've ever heard?
Do your research before you pull more out your ass.

tested passed failed %
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 542 456 86 84.1%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER 687 576 111 83.8%

[url="http://www.atts.org/statistics.html"]http://www.atts.org/statistics.html[/url]

OK, your dog's good. Good for you. So is mine.

The only thing immature I've said IMO is bungholes ugly, but I was only bringing up just because you say "no offense" doesn't mean you can say whatever the hell you want. I sent him a pm explaining this and apologized.

What I've been saying the WHOLE time is that I do not give him an opportunity to do anything. ESPECIALLY TO MY DAUGHTER.
Fenced yard. Leashed when we're out. Never alone with my daughter. Fed seperately from other dogs. Going to fix him. Starting obedience classes. etc. etc.

Now, if he does show ANY signs of human aggression we WILL put him down. Something we are prepared to do. Any dog that shows HA should be.

As for "snapping", that can happen with any dog.

[quote name='DICKMAN' post='553257' date='Sep 20 2007, 06:37 PM']comical huh?dumbest thing you've ever heard?
Do your research before you pull more out your ass.

tested passed failed %
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 542 456 86 84.1%
GOLDEN RETRIEVER 687 576 111 83.8%

[url="http://www.atts.org/statistics.html"]http://www.atts.org/statistics.html[/url]

OK, your dog's good. Good for you. So is mine.

The only thing immature I've said IMO is bungholes ugly, but I was only bringing up [b]just because you say "no offense" doesn't mean you can say whatever the hell you want.[/b] I sent him a pm explaining this and apologized.
What I've been saying the WHOLE time is that I do not give him an opportunity to do anything. ESPECIALLY TO MY DAUGHTER.
Fenced yard. Leashed when we're out. Never alone with my daughter. Fed seperately from other dogs. Going to fix him. Starting obedience classes. etc. etc.

Now, if he does show ANY signs of human aggression we WILL put him down. Something we are prepared to do. Any dog that shows HA should be.

As for "snapping", that can happen with any dog.[/quote]

About the same... :lol:

Archived