Wines Hard, Troy Plejhoeuoeh, and Casey Hampton

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='565134' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:51 AM']Fair enough, im just not sure how people can believe it doesnt effect teams at all when you talk about this many injuries, then come in and attempt to make an apples to oranges comparison when the steelers have a few guys out.[/quote]

Thing is, it isnt really apples and oranges. Steelers had their 1 and 2 WRs out, plus the others. Even if we had an injury free team, except for our 1 and 2 WRs being hurt, that would be all it takes to blame ineptitude on injuries.

You disagree? If Chad and TJ were out, you dont think that would be all it takes for the poor me attitudes in Bengal Land?

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='565142' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:56 AM']Thing is, it isnt really apples and oranges. Steelers had their 1 and 2 WRs out, plus the others. Even if we had an injury free team, except for our 1 and 2 WRs being hurt, that would be all it takes to blame ineptitude on injuries.

You disagree? If Chad and TJ were out, you dont think that would be all it takes for the poor me attitudes in Bengal Land?[/quote]
are you really comparing chad and tj to ward and holmes?

we are two completely different ball clubs with two completely different styles of play

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='565142' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:56 AM']Thing is, it isnt really apples and oranges. Steelers had their 1 and 2 WRs out, plus the others. Even if we had an injury free team, except for our 1 and 2 WRs being hurt, that would be all it takes to blame ineptitude on injuries.

You disagree? If Chad and TJ were out, you dont think that would be all it takes for the poor me attitudes in Bengal Land?[/quote]

I see your point, but they are two contrasting styles of offenses.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='565144' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:59 AM']are you really comparing chad and tj to ward and holmes?

we are two completely different ball clubs with two completely different styles of play[/quote]

Thank you.

Wouldnt it be more like if Chad and TJ were out, and the Steelers were missing Willie and Davenport? (though still a bit different since most teams only field 1 RB at a time)

[quote name='Jeb' post='565133' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:48 AM']You seem to know an awful lot about the Stoolers.[/quote]

I watch games that the Jags, the Ravens and the Steelers play in. And when they play each other, I have those game asterisked, because those games are always nuclear zones. The Patriots copied a good bit of what the Stealers do, because when Belichick got his gig with the Patriots, he brought with him the things that Cowher used to do to his Browns (before he got fired). Besides the Bengals, those are the four teams I watch far more than others in the AFC. In the NFC, I watch the Bears, though they are more of a takeaway team

A few NFL teams play extremely physical football. It gives those teams a weapon that other teams just do not have. That being that even when nothing else is working, they can win games through a good old-fashioned beatdown. And as a point of interest, that's exactly how the Stealers won yesterday.

Would I like for us to become a physical football team? Absolutely! But Marvin is never going to do that for us, never. We're a soft team moving towards softer.

Ward is just plain tough. He's easily the best blocking WR in the game. He's like having a LBer next to the tight end, which really helps their running game. And he is a hard-nosed WR like TJ that uses his strength to get a little separation.

Holmes is also one of the best blocking WRs in the game and gives them a vertical game now.

I watched little Cedric Wilson and little Nate Washington take their places. They could not lay people out like Ward or Holmes, but they windmilled and tried to, and were, surprisingly, somewhat effective. With little more than attitude going for them, they became part of the beatdown.

That's the hard-nosed mentality I've mentioned that I hope will get instilled here someday.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='565131' date='Oct 8 2007, 04:46 PM']not bitching about it at all. I understand it for what it is also.

If I was bitching about anything, it was about the so-called experts here blaming our ineptitude on dumb ole luck and the injury bug.

Also pointing out how the blame game is just as tired of an act, in my opinion.

:)

Fact is, I hate to say it, but compared to the other teams in our division, this year, the Bengals are a bunch of pussies. They talk shit they can't back up, then blame ineptitude on whatever convenient excuse they can find. People say the Browns game was an anomaly. From what I have seen, [size=5][b] I say the Ravens game was the real anomaly[/b][/size]. I wish is wasn't true and I hope they prove me wrong, but as of now they are a complete joke from top to bottom and we showed everyone as much on national television. The Browns got whipped by the Pats too. We just looked like a bunch of unorganized cry baby pussies while getting whipped. That was the big difference.

And it wasn't an illusion either, from what I have seen. far cry from Paul Brown. FAR CRY.[/quote]
Agreed.

We actually had some healthy LBs on the field :wave:

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='565109' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:25 AM']Show me a team that has an entire position decimated by injuries, and I'll show you a team that must have something fundamentally wrong somewhere causing "the injury bug."

Seriously... 2 years in a row we are going to blame injuries? 3 actually. Forgot about Carson's knee. 3 years now we blame ineptitude on injuries.

Yes I understand that the Steelers injuries are not to the extent as ours. But if our injury report looked like the Steelers did, we would still blame our ineptitude on the injuries and pissburgh would still win 21-0.

Some teams find a way, other teams find a way to make excuses. Year number 3 with the injury excuse. You think TigerJaw's posts get old? I think the excuses and blame game crap, coupled with the "fans" easy acceptance of said cop-outs, gets pretty damn old too.
I wont give you the same ole "ineptitude all starts from the top" speech. But I will ask you this. When was the last time you saw an "over-achieving" Bengals team? Yeah maybe you can come up with one or two to debate, but for every 1 over achieving Bengals team you give me, I'll bet I can name 10 under achieving ones, starting with the past 2 years.

People still wonder why too, thats the funny part. Winning, much like losing, is no accident. Profit and loss are rarely an accident too. Priorities all start from the top, and winning has never been top priority with Mike Brown. Until it is, if it isn't the injury bug, it'll be something else. Then, everyone rare once in a while, all the stars line up correctly, and we make a playoff run. Those are the moments we as Bengals fans live for.

But spare me the "injury bug" horse shit. That act is beyond tired.[/quote]

Show me a team that changed their entire culture and philosophy
from just 5 years ago. And that was counting on rebuilding a side of the
ball through the draft, but had the draft picks get hurt or suspended
that is winning anything, muchless Super Bowls.

No one is blaming injuries for the sole reason of losing.
But couple the injuries in with what this team was, and how it was ran
before Marvin came, with all the injuries to players
that were being counted on to rebuild.

If the Bengals had even 50% of the players they were
counting on, I don`t think we`d be having this conversation.

The Patriots were ran by a HoF Coach before Belichick took over.
The Stealers were ran by a Hof Coach before Cowher took over.
Cultures were already installed.
Marvin didn`t have the luxury.

Cowher didn`t have to go in and change a culture.
Neither did Belichick or Tomlin. All they`ve had
to deal with were/are injuries. To expect Marvin and
the Front Office to change the culture, deal with
decimating injuries to players they were counting
on to rebuild ( I can`t say that enough) and be expected
to perform like Coaches that didn`t have to deal with
all that is asinine.

Marvin and the Front Office has done a pretty good
job, in a pretty short time, all things considered.

And this season is far from over . . .

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='565179' date='Oct 8 2007, 05:47 PM']Agreed.

We actually had some healthy LBs on the field :wave:[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='ItsTime' post='565166' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:21 PM']Ward is just plain tough. He's easily the best blocking WR in the game. He's like having a LBer next to the tight end, which really helps their running game. And he is a hard-nosed WR like TJ that uses his strength to get a little separation.

Holmes is also one of the best blocking WRs in the game and gives them a vertical game now.

I watched little Cedric Wilson and little Nate Washington take their places. They could not lay people out like Ward or Holmes, but they windmilled and tried to, and were, surprisingly, somewhat effective. With little more than attitude going for them, they became part of the beatdown.

That's the hard-nosed mentality I've mentioned that I hope will get instilled here someday.[/quote]

can you say stealer fan?

[quote name='VonBlade' post='565272' date='Oct 8 2007, 02:04 PM']Wonder? I thought we knew he was :huh:[/quote]

I do like how his name is also his catchphrase. That's clever.

Whether he's a steeler fan or not (the jury's still out), he at least doesn't really trash talk and usually provides back up to his arguments. Yes, he is anti-Marvin but that' not really all that ridiculous at this point in the season.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='565061' date='Oct 8 2007, 09:35 AM'][b]That`s a derogatory term used against white people.[/b]

Are you calling Marvin to white, or are you just that stupid ?
If i was Vol, I would rethink my position if you agreed with it . . .[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Say what?[/b][/color] :huh:

[color="#FF0000"]*adds word in vocabulary*[/color]

[quote name='sneaky' post='565295' date='Oct 8 2007, 02:44 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Say what?[/b][/color] :huh:

[color="#FF0000"]*adds word in vocabulary*[/color][/quote]

It's supposed to be milquetoast, and means someone who is a dull, weak individual with no personality.

[quote name='Actium' post='565300' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:50 PM']It's supposed to be milquetoast, and means someone who is a dull, weak individual with no personality.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Well whether you are a milk-toast or graham-cracker........we are all God's children.[/b][/color]

-_-

:ninja:

[quote name='Actium' post='565289' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:38 PM']I do like how his name is also his catchphrase. That's clever.

Whether he's a steeler fan or not (the jury's still out), he at least doesn't really trash talk and usually provides back up to his arguments. Yes, he is anti-Marvin but that' not really all that ridiculous at this point in the season.[/quote]

Thank you.

As for any members who might think that I'm a Stealer fan -- because I watch their games or the Patriots or the Ravens or the Jags or the Bears -- I highly doubt that any Stealer fans are hoping for Marvin's removal. They have a right to fear Palmer but not Marvin or Chad, whom they consistently shut down. And does anyone here really think that the Steelers are hoping for a coach who would shape this team into yet another physical team like the Ravens or the Steelers? Get real, they want us to stay soft.

I'm just sick and tired of Marvin and his pantywaist approach to the game.

After 5 years, we have a passing game that's it. That's his legacy. Period. The Bengals have a few players with elite skills that fill the stadium. So Brown is happy. But to those in need of a wake-up slap: SLAP, SLAP, SLAP. A SB caliber team needs a lot more than that. As I've often said: Marvin is not the guy that is going to build a hard-nosed, winning team here.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='565179' date='Oct 8 2007, 12:47 PM']Agreed.

We actually had some healthy LBs on the field :wave:[/quote]

Umm the Ravens are crusty this year. I know because I am one of those wierdos that watches all of our divisional opponent games as well. I guess that makes me a Steelers, Ravens, and Browns fan too... :rolleyes:

And it still took 6 turnovers for us to beat them.

Your position that we would be good to go if we had healthy LBs... I must respectfully disagree. This team's problems go so far beyond our CFL LBs that it isn't even funny.

Most Bengals fans only watch the Bengals, which is fine, but it doesn't really give you much perspective to compare and contrast the Bengals with other NFL teams. Well I do. And I can tell you. This year's Bengals are a bunch of bitches compared to the other 3 teams. When things are going our way, we gloat, get sloppy, and almost blow it. Yet we fold at the first sign of adversity. Then we whine to the media, the franchise QB, or whoever will listen.

I think Doc said it and I agree. It IS hard to root for this year's Bengals. Its like sticking up for your smart-alecky little brother. You do it because you have to, but you don't feel great about it.

I would love to think that a healthy group of LBs would be all it took for this team's balls to drop, but I just don't see it.

[quote name='ItsTime' post='565319' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:19 PM']Thank you.

As for any members who might think that I'm a Stealer fan -- because I watch their games or the Patriots or the Ravens or the Jags or the Bears -- I highly doubt that any Stealer fans are hoping for Marvin's removal. They have a right to fear Palmer but not Marvin or Chad, whom they consistently shut down. And does anyone here really think that the Steelers are hoping for a coach who would shape this team into yet another physical team like the Ravens or the Steelers? Get real, they want us to stay soft.

I'm just sick and tired of Marvin and his pantywaist approach to the game.

After 5 years, we have a passing game that's it. That's his legacy. Period. The Bengals have a few players with elite skills that fill the stadium. So Brown is happy. But to those in need of a wake-up slap: SLAP, SLAP, SLAP. A SB caliber team needs a lot more than that. As I've often said: Marvin is not the guy that is going to build a hard-nosed, winning team here.[/quote]

I agree a lot with your posts about Marvin. I don't really buy into the Messiah image of him--I think he can still be a solid coach but he has to be willing to change his philosophy, especially on D.

[quote name='Actium' post='565348' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:59 PM'][b]I agree a lot with your posts about Marvin.[/b] I don't really buy into the Messiah image of him--I think he can still be a solid coach but he has to be willing to change his philosophy, especially on D.[/quote]

I use to like you . . . ^_^

[quote name='Actium' post='565348' date='Oct 8 2007, 04:59 PM']I agree a lot with your posts about Marvin. I don't really buy into the Messiah image of him--I think he can still be a solid coach but he has to be willing to change his philosophy, especially on D.[/quote]

A culture change is a major change. When an owner wants the team's culture changed, they look for a new coach whose background and philosophy is in close alignment line with the culture they hope to get installed.

Even though I want Marvin out, because I can't take his dribble and powder-puff coaching approach anymore, I doubt Brown does.

Archived