So You want Chucky Fired?

Through week 6, a website called Football outsiders has compiled defensive stats for each team. Here are some stats for all you Chucky Haters to chew on...

LOS/DR = represents average starting field position (line of scrimmage) per drive

LOS/DR: 30th in the league (which means only 2 other teams start with worse field position)
FUM/DR: 3rd in league (which means only 2 other teams force more fumbles)
INT/DR: 15th
TOs/DR: 7th

When your starting field position is 3rd worst in the league, it's much harder to force punts, and keep opposing teams from scoring

SO basically... our special teams and offense need to be ticking better for our defense to stand a chance of getting any better

Hell yeah

These are the stats that count:
[u][b]2005[/b][/u]
Total D - 28th
Scoring D - 22nd
Run D - 20th
Pass D - 26th

[u][b]2006[/b][/u]
Total D - 30th
Scoring - 17th
Run D - 15th
Pass D - 31st

[u][b]2007 so far[/b][/u]
Total D - 30th
Scoring D - 29th
Run D - 29th
Pass D - 28th

There is no reason why this man should still have a job.

Watching a bit of Minnesota Dallas.

They just showed Leslie Frazier, and gave him props for his work with the Vikings defense. They also mentioned that he did a good job on Tony Dungy's staff the last 2 years.

Frazier must be having a ton-o-laughs watching meathead Bresnahan's PATHETIC defense.

For God's sakes, EVEN BUFFALO'S INJURY RIDDLED DEFENSE OF NOBODIES IS PLAYING WELL ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM IN MOST GAMES.

Sorry about the caps lock, but I am so pissed right now.

This team has me tearing my hair out practically.

Watch for me in the stands at the Buffalo game...

I'll be the guy in the Carson Palmer jersey wearing a paper bag over my head with "1-15 ?" written on it.

I hope that Carson gets to play for a real team at some point in his career so he has a shot at winning a SuperBowl. It's sad to see such a great player brought down by hopelessness and inept idiots all around him.

[url="http://chuckbresnahan.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html"]http://chuckbresnahan.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html[/url]

[quote]Sunday, October 21, 2007
Live Game Blog!!!!!!

Hey buds! The wife got me an Iphone the other day, and it has the internets on it. So I decided I'm going to do a live game blog today! This will really give you guys an insight on how smart I am on game day and how much other crap I need to deal with!! Here goes!!

1st Quarter:

4:16 - OK, the Defense is coming out on the field for the first time today, I'm so nervous I just pee'd a little in my pants LOL!

4:18 - OH GOD! Laveranues Coles with a 57 yard TD catch :( Beautiful play call by Eric Mangina. It's not that bad though because Coles is on my fantasy team. So is Pennington! 7-0

4:26 - Golden Boy *^~^*^~^*Carson!*^~^*^~^* fails again on 3rd and short, throwing the biggest pussy loft rainbow pass to Chad Johnson in the corner of the endzone. Shayne Graham with the FG. 7-3

4:30 - Defense back on the field!

4:33 - Chad Pennington thinks he is Peyton Manning with all this stupid no-huddle play-changing time-wasting. I don't know why he would insult him like that, he is clearly better than Manning. Not even close.

4:35 - 3rd and short and we stopped them? WTF

4:36 - 4th and 1 Bullshit spot, first down :(.

4:39 - Offsides on Justin Smith :(

End of the 1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

4:45 - 3rd and goal stop!

4:46 - Ted Nugent field goal - 10-3

4:50 - *^~^*^~^*Carson!*^~^*^~^* throws an INT. My boys didn't even get a chance to rest! Now we are back on the field.

4:55 - Beautiful 3rd down pass break-up in the endzone by my main home from Michigan, Leon Hall.

4:56 - Ted Nugent field goal. 13-3

5:05 - THROW THE BALL ON 2nd AND LONG!! Marvin and Buttkowski sux.

5:06 - SEE?!?!?! 1st down T.J. Houshmandzada

5:09 - CHOP BLOCK?!?! God Buttkowski sucks.

5:12 - Touchdown, my dear Watson! (Kenny Watson). 13-10 Jets.

5:15 - Defense back on the field... 2 minute warning.

5:18 - Great, Dexter Jackson is hurt now :(

5:20 - W00t! Looks like Dexter is OK! :)

5:21 - Justin Smith just man-handled washingt... WTF, DELAY OF GAME ON THE DEFENSE????? I blame this one on Marvin. Jesus.

5:23 - Another Coles TD. 20-10 :( [fantasy points :) ]

5:24 - Marvin just had the audacity to come over and yell at me about tackling. What an idiot. Like he knows anything about tackling. Stick to what you're good at Marvin... Cleaning the house for your wife.

5:29 - UGHHH Officials reviewing a play, I just want halftime to get here so I can hit the clubhouse and slam some pizza rolls!!!

5:32 - WTF is wrong with these officials, I havent seen anything this disorganized since I saw Kevin kaesviharn's locker! (God I miss that man!)

5:33 - End of the first half. Time to get my eat on!! Be back in a bit!

End of the 1st half

3rd Quarter

5:45 - Back on the field.

5:47 - Chad Pennington is a true elite QB, I wish we had him.

5:50 - Also, Chad Pennington looks just like that dreamboat Matthew McConaughey.

5:53 - 3rd and 12???

5:54 - Stopped!!!

5:55 - Ted Nugent field goal. 23-10 jets.

6:05 - So I snuck some pizza rolls back onto the field with me in my pockets. Marvin just saw me eating one and game me a dirty look.... Idiot.

6:13 - Touchdown T.J.!!!! 23-17 Jets

6:17 - Back on the field.

6:19 - 3rd and 5???

6:21 - 20 yard punt ROFL

6:20 - Stopped and forced to punt!! For that, I am taking the entire defense to Graeter's tonight for some ice cream!!

6:22 - I am thirsty from the pizza rolls, so I'm going to go look for some grape soda. BRB.

End of the 3rd quarter

4th Quarter

6:27 - TD again by lil Kenny Watson! 24-23 us!!

6:33 - Back on the field and pumped up!!

6:35 - LOL Justin Smith just missed a sack, he bounced right off Pennington. Gosh, Chad is really good!

6:36 - OMFG ROUGHING THE PASSER MY ASS!!!

6:38 - 3rd and 6??? FUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEE!!!! Recovered by Domata peko!I love that silly Samoan!!

6:47 - TD Kenny again! I wonder if he can play linebacker.

6:50 - Defense back on the field... Cruise control.

6:52 - 3rd and 6??? SACKED by Chinedum Ndukwe!!!! I Think I am going to give him that monopoly piece I got from McDonalds that gives you a free breakfast sandwich!

6:53 - PUNT!

6:57 - Tick Tock Tick Tock 2 minute warning!!

7:00 - Uh Oh!! Looks like the defense isn't done here.

7:02 - Back on the field.

7:03 - God I just pee'd myself again :(

7:04 - SACk by John Thornton!

7:05 - JONATHAN JOSEPH INT PICK-6!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG I WANT TO HAVE HIS BABIES!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 38-23

7:07 - Back on the field

7:09 - Idiot Marvin just apologized for yelling at me. Sometimes he can be OK, I guess...

7:11 - Gay hail Mary TD with 0:00 left on the clock. 2pt conversion good 38-31. Game over, bitch. LOL

Good to see our offense play at least halfway decent enough for us to get the W today. I will write more about it later this week! I gotta stop and get the wife's credit card then meet the guys at Greaters!!!

*Kisses!!

The Chuckster.[/quote]

[quote name='sneaky' post='575737' date='Oct 22 2007, 01:44 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]I don't know who writes that blog, but it is some brilliant writing. :lol: [/b][/color][/quote]
the author doesn't go by the alias XYNO by any chance [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='574499' date='Oct 21 2007, 05:09 PM']Hell yeah

These are the stats that count:
[u][b]2005[/b][/u]
Total D - 28th
Scoring D - 22nd
Run D - 20th
Pass D - 26th

[u][b]2006[/b][/u]
Total D - 30th
Scoring - 17th
Run D - 15th
Pass D - 31st

[u][b]2007 so far[/b][/u]
Total D - 30th
Scoring D - 29th
Run D - 29th
Pass D - 28th

There is no reason why this man should still have a job.[/quote]

if you really beleive that, i feel sorry for you.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='574470' date='Oct 21 2007, 05:04 PM']Through week 6, a website called Football outsiders has compiled defensive stats for each team. Here are some stats for all you Chucky Haters to chew on...

LOS/DR = represents average starting field position (line of scrimmage) per drive

LOS/DR: 30th in the league (which means only 2 other teams start with worse field position)
FUM/DR: 3rd in league (which means only 2 other teams force more fumbles)
INT/DR: 15th
TOs/DR: 7th

When your starting field position is 3rd worst in the league, it's much harder to force punts, and keep opposing teams from scoring

SO basically... our special teams and offense need to be ticking better for our defense to stand a chance of getting any better[/quote]

upon def(or dumb) ears this will fall. as clearly any other DC would take missing 8 lb's, pad field position, and make a top 5 D. you didnt know the patriots were missing vrabel, bruschi, adalius thomas, woods and izzo, leaving saeu with two guys who were out of the nfl, missing maroney, faulk, and morris, both tackles and center injured, welker was suspended, and are still 7-0.

because clearly injuries and missing players mean nothing, field position is a technicality. and its all on chuck. there is nothing that plays a part in it, its all scheme.

i think some position coaches on D should be looking for work, but not chuckles.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='575819' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:01 AM']As I go through this life,[b] I find many things that I don't fully understand. [/b] Rocket Science, religon, biological engineering, etc.
I can now add to that list "why anyone would defend Chuck Bresnahan". It just doesn't make sense to me...[/quote]

you explained it to yourself...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='575813' date='Oct 22 2007, 10:50 AM']upon def(or dumb) ears this will fall. as clearly any other DC would take missing 8 lb's, pad field position, and make a top 5 D. you didnt know the patriots were missing vrabel, bruschi, adalius thomas, woods and izzo, leaving saeu with two guys who were out of the nfl, missing maroney, faulk, and morris, both tackles and center injured, welker was suspended, and are still 7-0.

because clearly injuries and missing players mean nothing, field position is a technicality. and its all on chuck. there is nothing that plays a part in it, its all scheme.

i think some position coaches on D should be looking for work, but not chuckles.[/quote]

Chuck should definitely be fired, and injuries have nothing to do with it. In artistic composition terms, Chuck is static. He does not move. He does not change. He does not do anything when on display. Chuck can come up with a game plan, but game plans go out the window so quickly in the NFL. You absolutely have to be dynamic. You must be able to think on your feet, and make changes on the fly. I have never seen Chuck exhibit those qualities. I think this team's inability to play 60 minutes of defense is evidence of that. At his absolute best, Chuck puts together 30 minutes of good defense (in the case of the last weeks, it's been when he's had a full half of getting his teeth kicked in, and a halftime to figure out which way is up). I think Chuck is probably a terrific position coach. However, he just doesn't have the quick, lateral, multi-tasking mind needed to coordinate a defense on the fly.

[quote name='bengalfan_00' post='575826' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:18 AM']But then again is it Chucks fault or it just bad players?[/quote]

Oh I thought you meant Marvin.

As far as Chuck, he doesnt have the players but who knows if it would get better or not, Fraizer has less talent and had better production.

[quote name='mongo' post='575831' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:24 AM']Chuck should definitely be fired, and injuries have nothing to do with it. In artistic composition terms, Chuck is static. He does not move. He does not change. He does not do anything when on display. Chuck can come up with a game plan, but game plans go out the window so quickly in the NFL. You absolutely have to be dynamic. You must be able to think on your feet, and make changes on the fly. I have never seen Chuck exhibit those qualities. I think this team's inability to play 60 minutes of defense is evidence of that. At his absolute best, Chuck puts together 30 minutes of good defense (in the case of the last weeks, it's been when he's had a full half of getting his teeth kicked in, and a halftime to figure out which way is up). I think Chuck is probably a terrific position coach. However, he just doesn't have the quick, lateral, multi-tasking mind needed to coordinate a defense on the fly.[/quote]

how can you say "He does not move. He does not change. He does not do anything when on display. " and "You must be able to think on your feet, and make changes on the fly. I have never seen Chuck exhibit those qualities." and then in the same paragraph admit that he's been making solid changes at halftime?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='575821' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:06 AM']you explained it to yourself...[/quote]
I think I'm a pretty well educated and level headed fellow, but it still boggles my mind when someone defends Bresnahan...
The defense has been crappy ever since he took over. He's had YEARS to turn it around, but he's just not getting it done.

Keeping using the "injuries" excuse, but that's all it is - an excuse. Other teams have injuries and are still getting it done. Bresnahans defense isn't.

Please don't get too excited about this win - it was the Jets! The Bengals offense is going to have to score 40+ to keep that high powered steeler offense from running away with the game next weekend. Chad Pennington looked like an All Pro out there yesterday. ben is going to have a field day toying with the Bengals defense all game long.

...but people want to defend Bresnahan?

[quote name='mongo' post='575831' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:24 AM']Chuck should definitely be fired, and injuries have nothing to do with it. In artistic composition terms, Chuck is static. He does not move. He does not change. He does not do anything when on display. Chuck can come up with a game plan, but game plans go out the window so quickly in the NFL. You absolutely have to be dynamic. You must be able to think on your feet, and make changes on the fly. I have never seen Chuck exhibit those qualities. I think this team's inability to play 60 minutes of defense is evidence of that. At his absolute best, Chuck puts together 30 minutes of good defense (in the case of the last weeks, it's been when he's had a full half of getting his teeth kicked in, and a halftime to figure out which way is up). I think Chuck is probably a terrific position coach. However, he just doesn't have the quick, lateral, multi-tasking mind needed to coordinate a defense on the fly.[/quote]
Bingo.

I think the best way for Bres to "gameplan" is to keep his plan under wraps until the second half. Let the players play sandlot defense for the first half, then come in with the plan that he actually took some time to figure out for teh second half.

Seems like that's what happened vs. the Jets...

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='575837' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:35 AM']I think I'm a pretty well educated and level headed fellow, but it still boggles my mind when someone defends Bresnahan...
The defense has been crappy ever since he took over. He's had YEARS to turn it around, but he's just not getting it done.

Keeping using the "injuries" excuse, but that's all it is - an excuse. Other teams have injuries and are still getting it done. Bresnahans defense isn't.

Please don't get too excited about this win - it was the Jets! The Bengals offense is going to have to score 40+ to keep that high powered steeler offense from running away with the game next weekend. Chad Pennington looked like an All Pro out there yesterday. ben is going to have a field day toying with the Bengals defense all game long.

...but people want to defend Bresnahan?[/quote]

Not defending Chuck BUT...

1. Stop with this calling it an excuse BS. It plays a role when your down that many people at ONE position, that can not be denied and people need to stop saying its an excuse.

2. Steelers have a good O, i dont know that I would call it "high powerd", but if Brooks gets some practice time this week and gets some game time, it could be huge as he is our best pass rusher and their Oline is susceptible to it, if Ben wasnt as good as he is at scrambling and creating things on the run, they would be in ALOT of trouble, their Oline has really played that bad.

no football paragraph in the history of this board has made me think of IP addresses so many times.

[color="#FF0000"][b]We'll see if Chuck gets a new contract at the end of the year. I'm sure Marvin will factor in all
the injuries, poor field positions, San Diego's 42 point second half, Cleveland's 51 point offensive
explosion, ranking near the bottom in total defense for 3 years, the team giving up over 30 points a game and
the locker room smelling like pizza rolls at halftime..............should be a tough call eitherway.....
[/b][/color]

Archived