If you had to choose

What fate would you rather have?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Win out or Lose out?

• 2-14
    • 10-6

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you honestly would rather the team finish 2-14 than 10-6, what the fuck are you watching football for?

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, people... *confused*

I could post the AFC standings to show you why even 9-7 is a realistic wildcard record, and a comparison between top-10 draft picks and players taken between 10-20 to show why draft position means about as much as combine 40-yard dash times, but then I realized that the effort would be better spent doing something more rewarding. Like, say, scratching my balls, for instance. But by all means, if you're one of the dozen or so people on here capable of making a reasoned decision based on actual information, you can look that shit up for yourself easily enough... because I seem to always come away feeling like I've been trying to explain continental drift to a cocker spaniel.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='586831' date='Nov 5 2007, 04:05 PM']if I'm not mistaken, its still true that no team with a 10-6 record or better HASN'T made the playoffs.[/quote]

1986 Cincinnati Bengals went 10-6 and missed the playoffs. Besides the chefs and the 1986 Bengals, i think it has happened a couple of other times. That being said, I would much rather go 10-6 then 2-14. I agree I don't want to see 8-8 again though, no hope and no good draft pick. I would rather see 4-4 over the next 8 and finish 6-10 then 2-14 though. At least I could enjoy 4 more sundays.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/team/history/1986.asp"]http://www.bengals.com/team/history/1986.asp[/url]

we aren't going to get better b/c we get a top 10 draft pick... we will get better when we start playing better, so imo it is stupid as hell to want us to lose the rest of our games... if that was the case, then we will be just as bad next year... we have to right the ship very soon, if we want a good team next year... the light has to click on...

[quote name='Phatcat' post='586861' date='Nov 5 2007, 04:33 PM']^^^^^ what he said......

Also, I am honestly not worried about draft position. I want to see continued improvement from what I believe is our core in terms of defense. I want to see Brooks back on the field, I want to see Geathers to get back to DE and exceed what he did last year. I want to see Peko to continue to develop and Jeanty as well. JonJo and Halll continue to make progress. And then see what we have with Frostee, Fanane, Landon, and Madieu to determine whether they are part of the future or not.

If we win and see improvement in the core, and can make key decisions on others who are UFA's or RFA's, that is more important to me than draft position.[/quote]
Word. And in my estimation, anyone that roots for the team to tank isn't a true fan. Even if we "harm" our draft position by finishing 7-9 or 8-8 (either of which are fairly likely if we have a semi-turnaround), we still get to measure improvement against our needs and I would argue that it would actually give us a better feel for whom to draft. We have a lot of picks next year regardless of where we finish, all we're debating is position on the first day, really.
I don't EVER want the Bengals to lose...if we have to play spoiler, then so be it, as long as we spoil SOMETHING for SOMEONE...especially if we can fuck up Pittsburgh's chances somehow.
There's a reason this website is called "GO BENGALS", not "LOSE PLEASE FOR A BETTER PICK BENGALS". It's because we all want a dysfunctional team to win so badly that we have become dysfunctional ourselves. Two decades of lousy football will do that to a fella.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='586861' date='Nov 5 2007, 04:33 PM']^^^^^ what he said......

Also, I am honestly not worried about draft position. I want to see continued improvement from what I believe is our core in terms of defense. I want to see Brooks back on the field, I want to see Geathers to get back to DE and exceed what he did last year. I want to see Peko to continue to develop and Jeanty as well. JonJo and Halll continue to make progress. And then see what we have with Frostee, Fanane, Landon, and Madieu to determine whether they are part of the future or not.

If we win and see improvement in the core, and can make key decisions on others who are UFA's or RFA's, that is more important to me than draft position.[/quote]

great post. Don't see why anyone would want 2-14. Besides the fact that it would help in free agency, more importantly, these players need to learn a sense of consistent winning of football games. A losing culture does nothing for next year, especially for a team that is showing they aren't mentally tough right now. We don't have the leaders who are going to pick a loser up off the ground. Its much better for them to win out, gain experience in winning, gain confidence, and develop a winning culture throughout the organization.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='586795' date='Nov 5 2007, 08:29 PM']Do you think the proper changes would be made if we are .500 or above?[/quote]

I don't think the proper changes would be made if we went 0-16

I would rather get the pick than draft DEFENSE.. We MIGHT get Thurman back next year (hope he is in some kind of shape other than round), and will have a healthy Brooks. That's something to start with. I think our secondary will be OK with more experience. Next year our defense will be a problem but hopefully we can at least get it good enough to be the middle of the pack.

Also, we need to stop running no huddle because our defense obviously suffers when we run a no huddle 3 and out.

Archived