** CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN **???

I think, to answer your question Go; just about every fan of any pro sport made their attachment to a particular team when they were young. Almost everyone who has responded has said that. Kids don't always use logic when they choose their teams. A lot of people not from this area say they loved the uniforms as kids, so they've always been Bengal fans. Might not make sense, but they are as big of fans as you or me. ( I know you aren't saying they aren't fans )

If you really learn to love a team as a child, it becomes a part of who you are. Even if you live on the other side of the world, have never been to a game and never bought a jersey, the team is still a part of who you are, even as an adult. At least it's that way for people who are big sports fans like everyone here is.

I don't think you'll find many Bengal fans who chose to be Bengal fans in their 20's. Maybe some of those bandwagon fans we picked up in 05 who can name four players and correctly pronounce two of them. I don't think that describes any, or at least not many here.

I don't think anyone should have been offended by your question if they read it all, but I can see how some misinterpreted it. Even the ones who took it wrong, answered your basic question, but only as they thought it applied to them. They all have reasons, usually from childhood that make them bleed orange and black. Your question was about someone who doesn't even have that. I don't think we have anyone like that here. I doubt that many exist. At least not ones who post much on a message board about the team.

I think we all need to keep reminding ourselves that we are all lifelong fans of a team that has been hard to remain a fan of. That says something for all of us. ( not sure if it's something good or bad though ^_^ ) Whether you're the bitchiest bitcher or the homiest homer, we all want to win. We just handle losing differently, and have different opinions on how to fix it.

but some of you are annoying as hell...

;)

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='596740' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:35 AM']I think, to answer your question Go; just about every fan of any pro sport made their attachment to a particular team when they were young. Almost everyone who has responded has said that. Kids don't always use logic when they choose their teams. A lot of people not from this area say they loved the uniforms as kids, so they've always been Bengal fans. Might not make sense, but they are as big of fans as you or me. ( I know you aren't saying they aren't fans )

If you really learn to love a team as a child, it becomes a part of who you are. Even if you live on the other side of the world, have never been to a game and never bought a jersey, the team is still a part of who you are, even as an adult. At least it's that way for people who are big sports fans like everyone here is.

I don't think you'll find many Bengal fans who chose to be Bengal fans in their 20's. Maybe some of those bandwagon fans we picked up in 05 who can name four players and correctly pronounce two of them. I don't think that describes any, or at least not many here.

I don't think anyone should have been offended by your question if they read it all, but I can see how some misinterpreted it. Even the ones who took it wrong, answered your basic question, but only as they thought it applied to them. They all have reasons, usually from childhood that make them bleed orange and black. Your question was about someone who doesn't even have that. I don't think we have anyone like that here. I doubt that many exist. At least not ones who post much on a message board about the team.

I think we all need to keep reminding ourselves that we are all lifelong fans of a team that has been hard to remain a fan of. That says something for all of us. ( not sure if it's something good or bad though ^_^ ) Whether you're the bitchiest bitcher or the homiest homer, we all want to win. We just handle losing differently, and have different opinions on how to fix it.

but some of you are annoying as hell...

;)[/quote]

Well said, as always Backer. Like I said, being a fan is about emotion. And we all know emotion can bring out the worst and best of us as fans. When we lose, it brings out the absolue worst. But we are all still fans and need to move forward with our various opinions and not pretend we can judge who is a real/true fan and who is not.

Well, I think the biggest point to be made out of all of this is that this is a Bengals message board. The sole reason for all of us being here, with the exception of the trolls from other teams, is our love for the Bengals. Plain and simple. Knowing that this is the reason we're here the main topic of conversation is the Bengals. That doesn't always mean that the conversation is going to be pleasant. It also doesn't mean that Joe Blow having a coronary over Mike Brown being an asshole is something that dominates his life. It's just part of it and this is the place to express those feelings. If we can't talk about those things here then there really isn't anywhere to talk about them at all. I seriously doubt too many of us bitch and rant about this kind of stuff outside of here. Hell, I've never even mentioned the Bengals in my billiards forum.
MULLY

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='596587' date='Nov 19 2007, 06:57 PM']The business analogy is so off base to reality of how the NFL business is run its not even funny.

In business you can fire someone if they arent working out and you dont have to continue to pay them (think bonuses for players and contracts period for coaches). In bussiness there is no such thing as a salary cap (wait I think there are people here that think the salary cap doesnt exist either.)

Its not a good comparison, stop using it.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have used FORD for YOU to understand. ;)

[quote name='GoBengals' post='596709' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:24 AM']Reading comprehension is really really down these days. My comments werent phrased perfectly, but i ranted on and on long enough for everyone to pick it up, or so i thought. I never said only true fans go to games and spend money on the team and tickets. What i msaying is, i can see someone getting overly angry or pissed had they invested so much money expecting a winner and getting a loser here and there. if i bought a $500 jacket and it ripped 3 months later id be pissed, but if i saw a sweet jacket on tv, and saw that it ripped, i cant say id be much attached to that jacket. afterall, i didnt make the jacket, the jacket isnt local, i had nothing invested in the jacket, aside from the fact i thought it was cool. no ones saying you cant be disapointed in losses and bad play if your not at the game or what not. but if you hate the team and ownership as many here say, and dont go to games, or even fucking live in the city, what makes you so mad? that you watched a bad 3 hour tv show? does it piss you off when CSI miami sucks this week? do you go on CSI miami message boards all day and piss and moan about the producers and staff? it doesnt add up.[/quote]

you associate love or loyalty with money... that is fine, but you have to understand that not everyone thinks the way you do.

I fit the bill you described in your first post, and i get the impression that you had me in mind when writting it... i'll address those points here as well... i know that you spend a lot of time and money on the bengals... you run a killer website, go to home and away game, and probably have mass bengals gear... damn would i like to be you... i don't know your financial situation at all, but considering you spend thousands of dollars on the bengals a year tells me that you are at least doing pretty good... seriously, i'm not jealous b/c that is your progrative and you do what you want with your money... more power to ya... meanwhile, i have NO money, have NO time except while i'm at work b/c i'm lucky enough to have a job that is based on production and there are consitant slow times in almost every day that i can come and jack around on here with you guys... i picked a bengals board to do this b/c a.) they are my favorite sports team b.) i met you guys on JT's board and come to like most of you, even you go on occasion :) c.) the political talk and non-bengals talk on this board is outstanding...

but not everyone is in the position you are to spend so much time and money on the team they love... if i had my way, i would definately have season tickets.. and i can think of at least 5 personalized jerseys i'd LOVE to have... but i don't and that is life... in my mind, my downstairs is pimped out with fatheads all over the place, my bar has bengals logos all over it... all this surrounding my plasma widescreen tv.. in reality, i have a bengals ball signed by carson palmer, a jagameister hat hanging on the wall from god knows when, and a tv that is literally about 15 years old but surprisingly decent still...

i think that its short sided to say that i don't deserve to bitch though... i've been a fan for all 26 years of my life... i have STUCK with this team through thick and thin, and more thin for sure... i watch every game on sunday, and when we had a blackout, i would listen to everygame on the radio then... i usually go to a few games a year, but until our losing streak it was looking bleak this year... i almost certainly will steal some tickets from someone now that the demand is down... i don't love this team b/c of money, i love them b/c of loyalty and commitment... someone mentioned hoisting the lombardy trophy... i can't freakin wait and this losing hurts me extremely bad, b/c i want us to be the champs so bad it literally hurts... if i don't bitch, i will go nuts...

hopefully i explained well enough why i think that you don't have to be financially vested w/ a team to hurt when they lose and want us to do better....

Admittedly, I haven't read this entire thread for lack of time, so forgive me if I'm restating anything...

A semi-famous person once sang, "A heart that hurts is a heart that works."

The only people that don't care are the ones that don't say anything at all. The fact that people are spending their time expressing their frustrations and complaining about the inadequacies of the Bengals organization means that they care. If your brother or sister is drinking themselves into oblivion, you don't sit idly by and watch it happen. You also don't enable them by making sure they always have money for booze. This team needs an intervention, not a coddling. Time for tough love.

So bitch away, Bengals fans! Let it all out!

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='596841' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:16 PM']Didn't you rip me for starting a similar thread?

I said basically the same things except I stated winning can be bad...

Regardless... I completely agree with you. People can argue this point with me all day long, [color="#FF0000"]but it comes to a point where injuries/suspensions can ruin a season and they def. ruined ours.

Now if anyone wants to counter the injury argument I'll be more than happy to help show why injuries/suspensions ruined this year[/color][/quote]

I think deep down people (or at least rational people) know that, they just need to bitch their frustrations out. But I would like to see the arguemt from oneof the more non-rational people. 8580? :P

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='596841' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:16 PM']Didn't you rip me for starting a similar thread?

Regardless... I completely agree with you. People can argue this point with me all day long, but it comes to a point where injuries/suspensions can ruin a season and they def. ruined ours.

Now if anyone wants to counter the injury argument I'll be more than happy to help show why injuries/suspensions ruined this year[/quote]

the injury argument is stupid b/c EVERY team has to deal with injuries... the good teams find good players hiding in their depth... everyone else just complains about how nice it would be with our starters...

and losing is NEVER right... not sure why you got the idea that this post shadows yours, b/c this post is saying that go doesn't understand how fans can be so emotionally vested in a team w/ out being financially invested... you are saying that losing isn't a bad thing b/c we already lost this year and we will get a higher draft pick...

i am saying that if we lose the rest of this year, we will probably lose most of next year too, injuries or not...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='596844' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:20 PM']I think deep down people (or at least rational people) know that, they just need to bitch their frustrations out. But I would like to see the arguemt from oneof the more non-rational people. 8580? :P[/quote]

I deleted my post because I realized it didn't have much to do with what GO said... I think I thought I knew what GO was trying to say without really reading his post

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='596837' date='Nov 20 2007, 05:09 PM']Admittedly, I haven't read this entire thread for lack of time, so forgive me if I'm restating anything...

A semi-famous person once sang, "A heart that hurts is a heart that works."

The only people that don't care are the ones that don't say anything at all. The fact that people are spending their time expressing their frustrations and complaining about the inadequacies of the Bengals organization means that they care. If your brother or sister is drinking themselves into oblivion, you don't sit idly by and watch it happen. You also don't enable them by making sure they always have money for booze. [b]This team needs an intervention[/b], not a coddling. Time for tough love.

So bitch away, Bengals fans! Let it all out![/quote]

This team does need an intervention

I deleted this post because I didn't think it made sense in this thread but since people responded to it here it is:

Didn't you rip me for starting a similar thread?

Regardless... I completely agree with you. People can argue this point with me all day long, but it comes to a point where injuries/suspensions can ruin a season and they def. ruined ours.

Now if anyone wants to counter the injury argument I'll be more than happy to help show why injuries/suspensions ruined this year

(this post was in reply to GOs original post)

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='596848' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:22 PM']I deleted this post because I didn't think it made sense in this thread but since people responded to it here it is:

Didn't you rip me for starting a similar thread?

Now if anyone wants to counter the injury argument I'll be more than happy to help show why injuries/suspensions ruined this year

(this post was in reply to GOs original post)[/quote]

we were too fast for ya :)

[quote name='bengalrick' post='596845' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:20 PM']the injury argument is stupid b/c EVERY team has to deal with injuries... the good teams find good players hiding in their depth... everyone else just complains about how nice it would be with our starters...

and losing is NEVER right... not sure why you got the idea that this post shadows yours, b/c this post is saying that go doesn't understand how fans can be so emotionally vested in a team w/ out being financially invested... you are saying that losing isn't a bad thing b/c we already lost this year and we will get a higher draft pick...

i am saying that if we lose the rest of this year, we will probably lose most of next year too, injuries or not...[/quote]

Paragraph one:

- Every team does have injuries dont get me wrong... Some teams have an injured LT to replace or a banged up corner or lose a LB for a year, and then they go to thier depth to replace them. The Bengals (in my opinion) have actually done a very good job drafting for depth to make sure if guys go down they can replace them. However, when an entire core gets injuried, it's tough to compensate for it.

For instance, our RB core to start the Year: 1) Rudi 2) Irons 3) Perry 4) Watson. Irons goes down, Perry breaks a nail. 1) Rudi 2) Watson 3) Dorsey 4) Perry - PUP . Rudi gets hurt ... 1) Watson 2) Dorsey 3) Rudi - HURT 4) Perry PUP. And that has pretty much been the case all year... We are basically starting our number 4 RB.

LB core (off my memory) to start the year ... 1) Brooks 2) Landon 3) Miller 4) Jeanty 5) Henderson 6) Marshall... Brooks, Miller, Marshall and Henderson ALL on IR with probably a combined 5 games between them... Thats half of the LB core right there going into the season with offseason workouts, training camps, etc with this team all gone. Throw in that Jeanty has been hurt and so has landon, the entire core has been nicked up... So we are brining in guys who didn't have a singled snap with us last year or this offseason (which you would hope for with your "depth" guys) are forced to be a STARTER! That's insane! THen throw in the fact that these guys are also forced to play special teams with no experience with our scheme either!

Injuries / Suspensions have been a huge blow for this team and two cores themselves had quality good depth, but even the depth was decimated

Paragraph two:

Thats why I deleted my post.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='596860' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:34 PM']Paragraph one:

- Every team does have injuries dont get me wrong... Some teams have an injured LT to replace or a banged up corner or lose a LB for a year, and then they go to thier depth to replace them. The Bengals (in my opinion) have actually done a very good job drafting for depth to make sure if guys go down they can replace them. However, when an entire core gets injuried, it's tough to compensate for it.

For instance, our RB core to start the Year: 1) Rudi 2) Irons 3) Perry 4) Watson. Irons goes down, Perry breaks a nail. 1) Rudi 2) Watson 3) Dorsey 4) Perry - PUP . Rudi gets hurt ... 1) Watson 2) Dorsey 3) Rudi - HURT 4) Perry PUP. And that has pretty much been the case all year... We are basically starting our number 4 RB.

LB core (off my memory) to start the year ... 1) Brooks 2) Landon 3) Miller 4) Jeanty 5) Henderson 6) Marshall... Brooks, Miller, Marshall and Henderson ALL on IR with probably a combined 5 games between them... Thats half of the LB core right there going into the season with offseason workouts, training camps, etc with this team all gone. Throw in that Jeanty has been hurt and so has landon, the entire core has been nicked up... So we are brining in guys who didn't have a singled snap with us last year or this offseason (which you would hope for with your "depth" guys) are forced to be a STARTER! That's insane! THen throw in the fact that these guys are also forced to play special teams with no experience with our scheme either!

Injuries / Suspensions have been a huge blow for this team and two cores themselves had quality good depth, but even the depth was decimated

Paragraph two:

Thats why I deleted my post.[/quote]

You excuse maker how dare you accecpt mediocrity!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='596863' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:38 PM']You excuse maker how dare you accecpt mediocrity!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111[/quote]

I know this was sarcasm but...

Just so everyone here knows, I do not want the Bengals to be mediocre or even suck but with that same breath, I can realize when a dog is down and dieing. Sometimes you just have to let the dog die...

It's just not our year and it became painfully obvious of that when Irons went down first, and then the dominos tumbled from there.

There's a difference in accepting an outcome for what is vs. accepting an outcome for what it isn't.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='596860' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:34 PM']Paragraph one:

Paragraph two:

Thats why I deleted my post.[/quote]

trust me, i was saying the same thing earlier in the year... i have never seen a LB crew get hit harder than ours... i undervalued the hits to our RB crew when perry and irons were out, b/c i thought that rudi was dependable enough to get us through... he wasn't, but luckily watson stepped up, which will make our team better next year... but at LB, we lost most of our starters, along w/ losing a second and first round pick from three years ago... there isn't any questions in my mind that we would be better if we had our starters...

the problem i have w/ your arguement is when you start to not care about the rest of this year... you think that somehow the rest of this year is a total waste and a higher draft pick is more important than finishing strong... i think that if we finish weak the rest of this year, it doesn't matter if we draft the equivalent of lawrence taylor next year, we will not be a very good team... we absolutely are not in rebuilding mode... the way i see it, if we end the season strong, we will have to become a better team to get to that point...

i just hate excuses... i like this team, i like the foundation we have, and want us to good next year... imo, the best course of action for that to happen is for us to show our character and finish this year as well as possible...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='596875' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:55 PM']Not this year they arent.

<sarcasm>
INJURIES ARE NOT AN EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111
</sarcasm>[/quote]

look at the Colts. they're as injured as us, granted not for the whole season, but in their game against KC, certainly. but they still won. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img]

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='596895' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:05 PM']look at the Colts. they're as injured as us, granted not for the whole season, but in their game against KC, certainly. but they still won. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img][/quote]

Wait their playing 3rd stringers and guys off the street now?

Nope. ;)

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='596897' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:07 PM']Yes, they are

Simeon Rice and Craphonso Thorpe just off my head[/quote]

You really arent going to compare Simeon Rice who was once a dominate player to the guys we have are you? Really? :huh:

Archived