Youth labor laws?

Who Dey Forever

Does anybody have any background on the labor laws of minors? I'm currently working at Applebee's and I'm starting to get sick of it..They have me working every day this week and they don't ever let me have a Friday or Saturday off..I know there has to be some kind of law that prevents people under 18 work so many hours..One of my manager makes me work past my scheduled time off just to do another position that I am not supposed to do and he thinks I should do it maybe every Friday night or whenever he needs somebody to do it..He thinks I have no life outside of Applebee's I guess...Any help would be appreciated..

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='614345' date='Dec 27 2007, 01:49 PM']Does anybody have any background on the labor laws of minors? I'm currently working at Applebee's and I'm starting to get sick of it..They have me working every day this week and they don't ever let me have a Friday or Saturday off..I know there has to be some kind of law that prevents people under 18 work so many hours..One of my manager makes me work past my scheduled time off just to do another position that I am not supposed to do and he thinks I should do it maybe every Friday night or whenever he needs somebody to do it..He thinks I have no life outside of Applebee's I guess...Any help would be appreciated..[/quote]

There should be a poster or two (state and federal) regarding labor laws in the back of the restaurant somewhere.

kids today....

[quote]When and how many hours can youth work?

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the minimum age for employment in non-agricultural employment is 14. Hours worked by 14- and 15-year-olds are limited to:

Non-school hours;
3 hours in a school day;
18 hours in a school week;
8 hours on a non-school day;
40 hours on a non-school week; and
hours between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (except from June 1 through Labor Day, when evening hours are extended to 9 p.m.)
Youth 14 and 15 years old enrolled in an approved Work Experience and Career Exploration Program (WECEP) may be employed for up to 23 hours in school weeks and 3 hours on school days (including during school hours).

[b]The FLSA does not limit the number of hours or times of day for workers 16 years and older. [/b]

Many states have enacted child labor laws as well. In situations where both the FLSA child labor provisions and state child labor laws apply, the higher minimum standard must be obeyed.[/quote]

[url="http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/028.htm"]http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/028.htm[/url]

OHIO SPECIFIC:

[quote]Minors 16 and 17

When school is IN session minors 16 & 17 cannot be employed before 7:00 a.m. or 6:00 a.m. if not employed after 8:00 p.m. the previous night; or after 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday. There is no limitation in hours per day or week.

When school is NOT in session minors 16 & 17 have no limitation as to the starting and ending time and no limitation in hours per day or week.[/quote]

[url="http://198.234.41.198/w3/webwh.nsf/allbykey/0A2CC2509843265A852566180051AF2E"]http://198.234.41.198/w3/webwh.nsf/allbyke...52566180051AF2E[/url]

How old are you, if you're indeed from Fairfield I could probably give you a job come Summer. I'm always looking for local teens.

Sounds like a pretty awful manager.

When I need a spot filled, I'll try and guilt them into all day long, but I never MAKE them do it unless it would cause me to close down completely. And the few times I have had to make them do it, I always reward them somehow. That's hard to ask for in a corporate setting though.

Yeah, your stuck on the ole labor laws aspect, though if labor laws aren't posted you could raise some hell, but not really on your behalf.

You could see what company policy is on working hours after scheduled. You could call Applebee's Corporate HR, there'd like be no backlash with that route. Otherwise you could attempt to contact the store manager, which could possibly get you fired. But if it's a 35 year old Mom with a teen you might strike gold.

Else, you can just start telling them no and see what happens.

And you can have the parents call. Some manager types (often bad ones) will let parents walk on them. Again this can be a bridge burner, but if you have them phrase it right it can sound like you just briefly mentioned the problem and they got pissed versus it sounding like you were sicking the dogs on him.

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='614345' date='Dec 27 2007, 01:49 PM']Does anybody have any background on the labor laws of minors? I'm currently working at Applebee's and I'm starting to get sick of it..They have me working every day this week and they don't ever let me have a Friday or Saturday off..I know there has to be some kind of law that prevents people under 18 work so many hours..One of my manager makes me work past my scheduled time off just to do another position that I am not supposed to do and he thinks I should do it maybe every Friday night or whenever he needs somebody to do it..He thinks I have no life outside of Applebee's I guess...Any help would be appreciated..[/quote]

first off, there is no law stating you get free time and get to have fun on weekends, if your a minor and your working, chances are its on weekends, you cant work any real business hours, so minors = weekend bitches, i dont think you are allowed to work over 20-25 hours a week and i dont think you can work past 9pm during the school week, but that doesnt help your weekend problem.

working sucks, and that never changes, ever. scheduling your vacation days to cover days you need to watch your own kids instead of actually having any actual free time is where the real fun is at.

or even better, owing the first 3 months of 2008's earned vacation time already, is the best ever...

PS: i hate working.

the only thing you have them at is if you are under 18 they have to give you a 15 minute break for every 3 or 4 hours and they have to give you a 30 minute break if you work 6+. If you work 8 hours you have to have 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute break. If they work you over 8 and it reaches 10 (i believe) then they HAVE to give you another 15 minute break. These are not exact because i havent had to know them for a few years. If they will owe you another break if they keep you then be on top of that and point it out. A few guys at larosas have gotten out of staying later because larosas didnt see the need to keep them for another hour or two if they had to give them another break.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='614613' date='Dec 28 2007, 01:50 AM']the only thing you have them at is if you are under 18 they have to give you a 15 minute break for every 3 or 4 hours and they have to give you a 30 minute break if you work 6+. If you work 8 hours you have to have 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute break. If they work you over 8 and it reaches 10 (i believe) then they HAVE to give you another 15 minute break. These are not exact because i havent had to know them for a few years. If they will owe you another break if they keep you then be on top of that and point it out. A few guys at larosas have gotten out of staying later because larosas didnt see the need to keep them for another hour or two if they had to give them another break.[/quote]

A lot of that is business by business if I understand correctly.

When I looked I also didn't find anything

[url="http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/meal.htm#Ohio"]http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/meal.htm#Ohio[/url][url="http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/rest.htm#Ohio"]http://www.dol.gov/esa/programs/whd/state/rest.htm#Ohio[/url]

I know at my work we require that at 5.5 hours you get a half hour break removed such that you only worked 5.

No break requirements that I know of though. At least where I work.

This link pretty much proves my prior statement.

[url="http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/membersonly/124lawquestions.pdf"]http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/membersonly/124lawquestions.pdf[/url]

I work with mostly minors. So we apply this rule to everyone.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='614613' date='Dec 28 2007, 01:50 AM']the only thing you have them at is if you are under 18 they have to give you a 15 minute break for every 3 or 4 hours and they have to give you a 30 minute break if you work 6+. If you work 8 hours you have to have 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute break. If they work you over 8 and it reaches 10 (i believe) then they HAVE to give you another 15 minute break. These are not exact because i havent had to know them for a few years. If they will owe you another break if they keep you then be on top of that and point it out. A few guys at larosas have gotten out of staying later because larosas didnt see the need to keep them for another hour or two if they had to give them another break.[/quote]
Everything you posted is an urban myth. There are no required breaks in the state of Ohio...

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='614606' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:34 AM']How old are you, if you're indeed from Fairfield I could probably give you a job come Summer. I'm always looking for local teens.

Sounds like a pretty awful manager.

When I need a spot filled, I'll try and guilt them into all day long, but I never MAKE them do it unless it would cause me to close down completely. And the few times I have had to make them do it, I always reward them somehow. That's hard to ask for in a corporate setting though.

Yeah, your stuck on the ole labor laws aspect, though if labor laws aren't posted you could raise some hell, but not really on your behalf.

You could see what company policy is on working hours after scheduled. You could call Applebee's Corporate HR, there'd like be no backlash with that route. Otherwise you could attempt to contact the store manager, which could possibly get you fired. But if it's a 35 year old Mom with a teen you might strike gold.

Else, you can just start telling them no and see what happens.

And you can have the parents call. Some manager types (often bad ones) will let parents walk on them. Again this can be a bridge burner, but if you have them phrase it right it can sound like you just briefly mentioned the problem and they got pissed versus it sounding like you were sicking the dogs on him.[/quote]
Sweet man. What kind of work? I'm 16 by the way will be 17 June 7

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='614780' date='Dec 28 2007, 03:09 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/uploads/av-11.jpg[/img]

So the job as a white Kool Mo Dee impersonator doesnt pay too well I take it?[/quote]
Jaime,

I don't think he is Old Skool enough to know who Kool Mo Dee is.

That's like from the 80s and shit, ya old fart.

You have to work weekends? Cry me a fucking river already. Welcome to life, my friend. It sucks all kinds of ass. No one owes you anything, you gotta work for it. Crying out for labor laws........Jesus. What the fuck do you want? 2 - 3 hours a day, weekends off and full pay and benefits? Yeah, get out of that dream world. How much are you gonna bitch when you see that paycheck if he takes all those hours away from you?

Sorry, man, when I was in school I was doing high school in the mornings, university in the afternoons, and had a part time job from 4:00 to 8:00 3 nights a week and 1:00 to 11:00 on weekends, yes, Saturday and Sunday. It sucked all kinds of ass but if I wanted to enjoy my time off I needed the green. No one is going to give it to you.

In conclusion, quit your bitchin' and do your job. There are people out there that have it far worse than you.
MULLY
bitch mode off and I hope you don't hold it against me, but it's the way I feel about this topic.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='614967' date='Dec 29 2007, 01:47 AM']There are people out there that have it far worse than you.[/quote]

You want to try fun?
I work at Libbey Glass and we do seven day swing...

Seven days on 3rd shift, 11p - 7a
2 days off
Seven days on 2nd shift, 3p - 11p
2 days off
Seven days on 1st shift, 7a - 3p
3 days off

repeat until death or retirement lol

But on the upside, Sundays are always time and a half
Holidays are optional; regular pay if you dont work, triple if you do though.
Christmas shutdown is Dec23 - Jan2, all paid
great benefits

downsides?
factory work
hard to make plans (kinda, since you know your entire years schedule ahead of time, you can work around this)
Unionized (motherFUCK UNIONS!)
lazy bastids (see above)

oh and the worst part...fucking Toledo and all the goddamned Stains and Shittsburgh fans up here

[quote name='ShaGs_McNasty' post='614992' date='Dec 29 2007, 09:00 AM']You want to try fun?[/quote]

My job:

GOOD:
M-F 9-5 (basically paid lunch; I only account for 35 hours on my timesheet)
all federal holidays except Veteran's day (budget balancing measure a few years ago that stuck)
I'm at 4 weeks of annual leave per year (started with 3)
Sick leave is separate from annual leave
paid training, conferences when I ask and make a case

BAD:
lower salary for my job than average b/c I work at a non-profit
callouses from all that typing (haha)
shittsburgh fans everywhere; Skins fans don't bother me

[quote name='ShaGs_McNasty' post='614992' date='Dec 29 2007, 09:00 AM']You want to try fun?[/quote]

My job:

GOOD:
I work 3 days a week. Gives me a 4 day weekend. Because I'm lazy.
I've got so much time off, I can't take all my vacation time. Unused vacation time gets converted into a check. Cha ching.
If I have to work a holiday, it's only half a shift But for some reason, they pay you for 8 hours of double time. I love working holidays.
Sick leave is different from vacation. I've got medical, dental, vision, matching 401K, reimbursement for conferences or professional fees or to purchase medical textbooks.
Sometimes...you actually make a difference.

BAD:
Patients bargaining for me to do things against my judgement or outright commit malpractice based upon their wants which aren't grounded in anything resembling the Standard of Care. It's a source of great frustration for me.

"I don't want an EKG."

"Everyone who passes out, or has syncope, needs an EKG. Reason being you could have an underlying heart condition which could result in death." And a hefty malpractice settlement against me if I don't convince you to let me do it or I forget to have you sign an 'Against Medical Advice' waiver detailing our discussion including the risk of death.

"Don't you think it could be a UTI? Can I just get an antibiotic?"

"No." The bladder bone isn't connected to the passin' out bone.

Here's another doosy:

"I fell off a ladder, hit my head, and my neck hurts."

"You need a CT scan. Your C7 vertebra is moving! It shouldn't."

"No. It's done that for years."

"You need a CT scan. Period. I'm not negotiating on this one. You're C7 vertebra is unstable which could be new fracture and could result in paralysis and even death if it were to damage the phrenic nerve and cause respiratory distress."

"No. I just want some pain medication."

My Job

Good:
Im in charge of programming what is called the Availablity Matrix (ga fan and other military guys, (my dad knew right away when I talked to him when I was out in OH during xmas) might know what this is) and am the sole programmer on this very high visibility project right now and if more are brought in (likely just one) I'd get a by default promotion to lead programmer

Bad
Im in charge of programming what is called the Availablity Matrix (ga fan and other military guys, (my dad knew right away when I talked to him when I was out in OH during xmas) might know what this is) and am the sole programmer on this very high visibility project right now and if more are brought in (likely just one) I'd get a by default promotion to lead programmer

:lol:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='615110' date='Dec 29 2007, 01:45 PM']My Job

Good:

Bad

:lol:[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA v2.0' post='615108' date='Dec 29 2007, 04:05 PM']My job:

GOOD:
I work 3 days a week. Gives me a 4 day weekend. Because I'm lazy.
I've got so much time off, I can't take all my vacation time. Unused vacation time gets converted into a check. Cha ching.
If I have to work a holiday, it's only half a shift But for some reason, they pay you for 8 hours of double time. I love working holidays.
Sick leave is different from vacation. I've got medical, dental, vision, matching 401K, reimbursement for conferences or professional fees or to purchase medical textbooks.
Sometimes...you actually make a difference.

BAD:
Patients bargaining for me to do things against my judgement or outright commit malpractice based upon their wants which aren't grounded in anything resembling the Standard of Care. It's a source of great frustration for me.

"I don't want an EKG."

"Everyone who passes out, or has syncope, needs an EKG. Reason being you could have an underlying heart condition which could result in death." And a hefty malpractice settlement against me if I don't convince you to let me do it or I forget to have you sign an 'Against Medical Advice' waiver detailing our discussion including the risk of death.

"Don't you think it could be a UTI? Can I just get an antibiotic?"

"No." The bladder bone isn't connected to the passin' out bone.

[b]Here's another doosy:

"I fell off a ladder, hit my head, and my neck hurts."

"You need a CT scan. Your C7 vertebra is moving! It shouldn't."

"No. It's done that for years."

"You need a CT scan. Period. I'm not negotiating on this one. You're C7 vertebra is unstable which could be new fracture and could result in paralysis and even death if it were to damage the phrenic nerve and cause respiratory distress."

"No. I just want some pain medication."[/b][/quote]

Must be neat to have Rush Limbaugh as a patient

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='615110' date='Dec 29 2007, 04:15 PM']My Job

Good:

Bad

:lol:[/quote]

Jamie, the parenthesis within a parenthesis was executed flawlessly by you, but I'd expect nothing less from a programmer ;)

Archived