*General REDS discussion*

bgwilly31

[quote name='CTA513' post='670237' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:42 PM']Another game in which the Reds didn't score many runs when Harang pitched.
Phillips helped kill any chance of a rally with his 2 double plays.[/quote]

Phillips is starting to nerve me lately.

Hes always out in front of everything. Looks to pull everything!

He needs patience,slow down his swing and stay back on the ball and put something the other way.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='670457' date='Jun 4 2008, 11:07 AM']Phillips is starting to nerve me lately.

Hes always out in front of everything. Looks to pull everything!

He needs patience,slow down his swing and stay back on the ball and put something the other way.[/quote]
sounds like griffey and dunn lol. phillips will be fine. he is pressing hard right now.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='670608' date='Jun 4 2008, 10:25 PM']he's given up less earned runs than 4 of our bullpen guys (including coffey), and only 1 more run than both Burton and Weathers.[/quote]

I haven't seen a Reds pitcher this dominant since Danny Jackson...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='670610' date='Jun 4 2008, 11:33 PM']I haven't seen a Reds pitcher this dominant since Danny Jackson...[/quote]

He's beyond Jackson. I haven't seen a Reds pitcher this good since Mario Soto.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='670705' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:32 AM']so what are people expecting out of Bailey today?[/quote]
I'm really concerned. This is a big game for the Reds, we really need it, and I just don't know about Bailey going up against the likes of Howard, Utley and company.

I mean, I hoope he pitches lights out, but will he? And was Homer any more deserving than Thompson to be called up?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='670709' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:48 AM']I'm really concerned. This is a big game for the Reds, we really need it, and I just don't know about Bailey going up against the likes of Howard, Utley and company.

I mean, I hoope he pitches lights out, but will he? And was Homer any more deserving than Thompson to be called up?[/quote]

I'm glad they aren't rushing Thompson. Not only is he young, but he's still coming off of a major injury.

With the lineup he's facing today, I'll be happy if Bailey can make it 6 innings giving up 3-4 runs. His control and how many batters he walks is going to be the key.

Yes, I believe Bailey was the right choice instead of Thompson. Thompson has had two starts in AAA, so don't worry, it's not like they're holding him down there unnecessarily. With the state of our pitching - being good - he may get up in September.

BTW, Krivsky was lambasted for this trade in 2006, but Kearns and Lopez haven't done much, and its now looking like Bray and Thompson are coming around. Krivsky did make several incredibly useful moves, it's just a shame he couldn't let veterans walk without signing them to multimillion dollar deals first.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='670705' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:32 AM']so what are people expecting out of Bailey today?[/quote]

He couldn't be much worse than Fogg, and he has the talent to be much better. Put him in and leave him in.

can't complain much with what he's done so far. 6 innings, 1 earned run. 3 unearned runs on awful defense that you can't really blame on Bailey. Yea one of the errors was his, but isn't the reason for the run being scored.

pitch count wise, he may go 8 innings at this point.

An unfortunate start. Janish doesn't hit much, so he better stop making errors. Bailey's error came because he didn't get the ball out of his glove fast enough, and when he did, he threw an awkward curveball to votto. Griffey's got caught in the lights, and he closed his glove too soon in protection mode. What was more disturbing was his inability to get to the next hit, which dropped for an RBI single. He could barely move. I think the knee is worse than we all thought.

Strange that Bailey has no K's. He's running out of gas in the 7th, he won't go 8.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='670763' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:44 PM']An unfortunate start. Janish doesn't hit much, so he better stop making errors. Bailey's error came because he didn't get the ball out of his glove fast enough, and when he did, he threw an awkward curveball to votto. Griffey's got caught in the lights, and he closed his glove too soon in protection mode. What was more disturbing was his inability to get to the next hit, which dropped for an RBI single. He could barely move. I think the knee is worse than we all thought.

[b]Strange that Bailey has no K's. He's running out of gas in the 7th, he won't go 8.[/b][/quote]

yea I jinxed him pretty good. 6 1/3 innings of two earned run ball isn't all that bad though. only 4 hits, but as I said before the game that it would be the walks that killed him, and he had 4.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='670769' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:57 PM']yea I jinxed him pretty good. 6 1/3 innings of two earned run ball isn't all that bad though. only 4 hits, but as I said before the game that it would be the walks that killed him, and he had 4.[/quote]

Didn't see the game, but it seems the errors killed him more than the walks. Not like it matters the way we hit today though.

[quote name='Jason' post='670785' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:45 PM']Didn't see the game, but it seems the errors killed him more than the walks. Not like it matters the way we hit today though.[/quote]

oh definately. even despite the walks, the 2 unearned runs in the 5th don't cross the plate if Griffey doesn't drop the ball.

Sounded like the solo homer in the 6th was his only big mistake.

Definately think he deserves a few more starts.

[quote name='Jason' post='670785' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:45 PM']Didn't see the game, but it seems the errors killed him more than the walks. Not like it matters the way we hit today though.[/quote]

Lefties continue to dominate the Reds. It doesn't even take a stud like Hamels, almost any lefty gives us problems.

Homer performed well all things considered. He battled out of some tough situations and tough at-bats pretty well against arguably the hottest lineup in the league right now.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='670792' date='Jun 5 2008, 02:50 PM']Lefties continue to dominate the Reds. It doesn't even take a stud like Hamels, almost any lefty gives us problems.

Homer performed well all things considered. He battled out of some tough situations and tough at-bats pretty well against arguably the hottest lineup in the league right now.[/quote]

actually, after today the Reds are 11-11 this year against lefty starters.

Archived