I <3 Marvin

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655491' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:25 PM']I don't really understand why a NFL coach would create a bigger distraction for his team. Chad does not want to play here. Why not trade him? The Benglas play in the harderst division in the NFL. More distractions is just what they need! rotflmao!!

[b]How would you like it if someone told you. "You have no choice. You have to work here. You can't quit!! You can't go work anywhere else." [/b]

The NFL owners have no loyality to their players. A player can be cut for any reason at any time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

welcome to the site. Go look up the definition of a CONTRACT. :)

I'm liking how Marvin is handling the "the Chad" situation as well. Memphis nailed it by, in not these words, saying that Marvin is sending a message to the rest of the team that he's the boss and everyone is accountable.

With that said, we're less than four days until the draft and I take everything I hear from all NFL franchise hierarchy with a grain of salt, so if Chad is property of another team this time next week, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655491' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:25 PM']The NFL owners have no loyality to their players. A player can be cut for any reason at any time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

You can't say that about the Bengals. Giving Pollack every chance to continue to play, keeping him on the roster so he can get grade A medical care and not cutting him even though it was 90% certain he'd never play again...along with keeping Thurman and Henry around despite their screwups and giving them second chances...you can't say the bengals have no loyalty to their players.

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655491' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:25 PM']I don't really understand why a NFL coach would create a bigger distraction for his team. Chad does not want to play here. Why not trade him? The Benglas play in the harderst division in the NFL. More distractions is just what they need! rotflmao!!

How would you like it if someone told you. "You have no choice. You have to work here. You can't quit!! You can't go work anywhere else."

The NFL owners have no loyality to their players. A player can be cut for any reason at any time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Your screen name is very fitting...

IS THAT YOU CHAD???

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='655503' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:37 PM']Quit causing a stink noob.

Steeler troll?[/quote]

Trust me no one hates the steelers more then I do!!

how is posting a comment saying Stop creating a bigger distraction then need be causing a stink. I love Chad. I think he is a great WR. But when a player wants to go let him go. If we allow him to sit out instead of suring up our def I might become a browns fan! :P

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655506' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:46 PM']Trust me no one hates the steelers more then I do!!

how is posting a comment saying Stop creating a bigger distraction then need be causing a stink. I love Chad. I think he is a great WR. But when a player wants to go let him go. If we allow him to sit out instead of suring up our def I might become a browns fan! :P[/quote]

Enjoy watching your first pick in the middle of the day Sunday then.

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655506' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:46 PM']Trust me no one hates the steelers more then I do!!

how is posting a comment saying Stop creating a bigger distraction then need be causing a stink. I love Chad. I think he is a great WR. But when a player wants to go let him go. If we allow him to sit out instead of suring up our def I might become a browns fan! :P[/quote]

ok do suppose we let Chad go. What do you do when TJ pulls the same stunt next year? Or when Leon Hall does it in 4 years?

The man signed a fucking contract. A contract he and his agent were elated to get done when they did. Sucks for them that the market changed after they signed the deal. Be a man and honor your word.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='655509' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:49 PM']ok do suppose we let Chad go. What do you do when TJ pulls the same stunt next year? Or when Leon Hall does it in 4 years?

The man signed a fucking contract. A contract he and his agent were elated to get done when they did. Sucks for them that the market changed after they signed the deal. [b]Be a man and honor your word.[/b][/quote]

I have no problem with that comment as long as every NFL team does the same thing. They sign someone to a hugh contract!! That contract plays a man 13 million 5 years into a 6 year contract.. What happens? That man is released after the 4th year so the team does not have to pay that money.

Those damn NFL owners. They better man up and honor their word!

Its hard to be loyal to someone who is far from loyal to you!

To answer the first part of your question. Well we do have Carson Palmer. I don't think its going to be that hard to have a passing game.

I agree with your sentiment about contracts. NFL teams cut guys all the time who are under "contract". However, this situation is different. Chad isn't complaining that his contract is unfair (at least that's not what he is saying publicly). He is saying he wants out of Cincy AND he wants to keep his signing bonus. If he really wanted out, give the $$$ back and then we can trade him.

Secondly, the NFL is a business. You can't just dump extremely valuable assets because they aren't happy. You have to try to get some ROI.

Lastly, Go Marvin!!!!!!!!!!! That is leadership. I think the team can rally around that and see that Lewis means business now.

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum!

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='655483' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:12 PM']...Chad is under contract and an employee of the bengals, if he doesnt like it dont come to work and dont get paid. [b]The only diference with our jobs is we can quit and try to get a new job, Chad cant.[/b][/quote]

Sure he can, just not in the NFL.

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655491' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:25 PM']I don't really understand why a NFL coach would create a bigger distraction for his team. Chad does not want to play here. Why not trade him? The Benglas play in the harderst division in the NFL. More distractions is just what they need! rotflmao!!

How would you like it if someone told you. "You have no choice. You have to work here. You can't quit!! You can't go work anywhere else."

That whole "NFL teams cutting players under contract" is a ruse. There has got to be very specific language in a contract that a player and his agent are obligated to read that *may* include some fine print that allows for a team to cut a player before the life of the contract is up if certain situations occur.

Contracts are legally binding documents. The only way around them for owners OR for players is to take advantage of a clause or some other language in the contract that is not enforcable or vague.

In Chad's case, it sounds like the Bengals have him over a barrel.

It's sad that this has devolved the way it has, but the line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise, there will be more and more Chads and if that's the case, then why not just pay your players on a cash-and-carry basis per game?

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655518' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:05 PM']I have no problem with that comment as long as every NFL team does the same thing. They sign someone to a hugh contract!! That contract plays a man 13 million 5 years into a 6 year contract.. What happens? That man is released after the 4th year so the team does not have to pay that money.

To answer the first part of your question. Well we do have Carson Palmer. I don't think its going to be that hard to have a passing game.[/quote]

Being able to cut a player is a perk earned by being the boss. Get over it. Plus, its offset by signing bonuses and guaranteed money. No big money player is hurting for cash unless they pissed it away.

Besides, you bring up an example of something the bengals have made a history of not doing. They don't sign players to big contracts they don't intend to honor like other teams do. Further, the players prefer these contracts because 99% of the time they get more guaranteed money up front than they would have.

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655518' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:05 PM']I have no problem with that comment as long as every NFL team does the same thing. They sign someone to a hugh contract!! That contract plays a man 13 million 5 years into a 6 year contract.. What happens? That man is released after the 4th year so the team does not have to pay that money.

To answer the first part of your question. Well we do have Carson Palmer. I don't think its going to be that hard to have a passing game.[/quote]

When those 5-7 year contracts are signed the players know full well they will never see the last year or two. It is generally made that long to spread the cap hit out. Especially on the big ticket deals. Sorry but the owners own the teams and the players play and they do so via signed contracts. That's the landscape of professional sports. A players choice is to accept that or go to work in another industry.

[quote name='sois' post='655521' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:12 PM']I agree with your sentiment about contracts. NFL teams cut guys all the time who are under "contract". However, this situation is different. Chad isn't complaining that his contract is unfair (at least that's not what he is saying publicly). He is saying he wants out of Cincy AND he wants to keep his signing bonus. If he really wanted out, give the $$$ back and then we can trade him.

Secondly, the NFL is a business. You can't just dump extremely valuable assets because they aren't happy. You have to try to get some ROI.

Lastly, Go Marvin!!!!!!!!!!! That is leadership. I think the team can rally around that and see that Lewis means business now.

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum![/quote]
Is it at all possible that Chad doesn't have enough money to pay back the prorated portion of his bonus? My gut tells me all of his offseason posturing is in effect all about a new fat contract. Wouldn't surprise me you see him pull a Mike Tyson and show everyone how his monthly expenses supersedes his latest contract..

[quote name='rank is dumb' post='655506' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:46 PM']Trust me no one hates the steelers more then I do!!

must be hard being from PA....

Personally, I disgree with Marvin on this. I think it'll backfire. I hope I'm wrong, obviously.

I'm all for being tough off the field, but I'd rather have them be tough on the field. I can see how getting an extra first-round draft pick or two would make us better, but I can't see how benching Chad would do the same.

Several players have tried to engage in a game of chicken with their team, and lost. Did that teach Chad a lesson? Nope. If we bench Chad and basically gloat about how we've got him over a barrel, will other players magically see the error of their ways? Maybe a few, but it won't help us, and I doubt it'll last long. Some agent or player will eventually get dollar signs in their eyes, and a desperate/gambling coach or GM will accomodate them.

NFL players tend to overestimate their capabilities, both on and off the field. They think they can stave off retirement for one more year, despite injuries, or they think they can do drugs or steroids one more time, without getting caught. And a lot of the time, maybe most, they're wrong. If some egomaniacal, talented player hates his team enough, he's gonna convince himself that he can make the tantrum strategy work. Or maybe his agent will do the convincing for him. It won't matter how many people have tried it and failed.

I don't think Chad is mentally strong enough (and, if rumors are true, rich enough) to sit out for the entire year. However, as others have pointed out, that won't mean we'll get Chad at 100%. He loves attention, and he'll continue to be a distraction. If he thinks he still has a shot at getting out, I see him trying even less hard than usual. Why get injured to help the team that's holding you captive? (Yeah, it's his own fault for signing on the dotted line.)

What if he starts doing something crazy like sabotaging games? It wouldn't be logical (we could fine him, I believe), but he's never been the most stable individual, even in the best of times. The last time he was seriously stressed out was halftime of the playoff game. God only knows what he might do if we back him into a corner. I'm not trying to play him up as someone we need to be scared of, but we have to take into account the fact that he could screw us more than he already has.

The way I see it, we've got enough on our plate as it is. A tough schedule, some lingering injuries, a new d-scheme to learn. Why keep another problem around?

Another issue is that, IMHO, Chad's trade value is as high as it'll ever be, right now. If he goes on the emo warpath and pulls some high-profile stunts, interest in him could bottom out quickly. And I doubt that next year's draft will be as WR-weak as this current one, so people may want to take the safer bet.

I can see how extra draft picks and a drama-free start would lead to us improving as a team. On the other hand, I see a huge, gaping chasm between "We bench and publicly humiliate Chad" and "the team somehow gets better".

But, who knows. Maybe Mike and Marvin are just playing hard to get. Maybe there's some hidden cap issue that's preventing us from doing it. Maybe Marvin has balls of steel and is convinced we can win without giving in to Chad. If so, I hope he's right.

[quote name='Dumall' post='655566' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:43 PM']Wouldn't surprise me you see him pull a Mike Tyson and show everyone how his monthly expenses supersedes his latest contract..[/quote]

[img]http://jeanoroid.com/chad.gif[/img]

[quote name='Big Sky Bengal' post='655572' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:06 PM']I'm all for being tough off the field, but I'd rather have them be tough on the field. I can see how getting an extra first-round draft pick or two would make us better, but I can't see how benching Chad would do the same.[/quote]

Well last week, everyone said we should trade him for a third rounder, or cut him. Seems like his value is still going up.
Elite wide recievers dont grow on trees. And until we change it, we rely on the pass, given our RB woes. So don't see any
advantage to gutting our offense and busting our cap to allow Chad to play against us at our expense.

The NFL has teams are making their rosters by gutting the 'has not' teams from smaller markets. I'd rather bench Chad than
give him, and them the satisfaction. If he doesn't want to play, let him watch on TV like I have to do. If he decides to man up
and sit out, then we get our money back, and he rots.

This isn't about Chad. This is his agent, who hasnt seen a dime off of Chad yet and needs to cash in. His current deal was set up
by his old agent.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='655585' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:56 PM']Elite wide recievers dont grow on trees. And until we change it, we rely on the pass, given our RB woes. So don't see any advantage to gutting our offense and busting our cap to allow Chad to play against us at our expense.[/quote]

If Ellis isn't there, we could draft Mendenhall. And if we keep Chad, I'm guessing we won't be getting anything useful out of him. I don't see how his current situation is going to make him want to play his heart out for us. Last season, he gave us a non-elite number of TDs and good stats in non-key games. This season, between attitude and age, he could be even worse.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='655585' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:56 PM']The NFL has teams are making their rosters by gutting the 'has not' teams from smaller markets. I'd rather bench Chad than give him, and them the satisfaction. If he doesn't want to play, let him watch on TV like I have to do. If he decides to man up and sit out, then we get our money back, and he rots.[/quote]

You're absolutely right, it sucks that a few top teams are ruling the roost. But how does that help us win in 2008?

[quote name='Oldcat' post='655585' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:56 PM']This isn't about Chad. This is his agent, who hasnt seen a dime off of Chad yet and needs to cash in. His current deal was set up by his old agent.[/quote]

That's a good point, and I'm sure it's playing a factor.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='655413' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:53 PM'][url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/SPT02/304220098/-1/rss"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...04220098/-1/rss[/url][/quote]

Nati, I don't get this thread title.

[b] [size=3]I < 3 Marvin [/size][/b]

Are you saying that you are less than three Marvins? :huh:

Nobody else has asked about it, so maybe it's just me...am I missing something here? :huh:

Archived