best little dog for suburbs

Skitch

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='673655' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:01 PM']Yes and are they not refered to as Doxens? I know I have heard that before and when I googled Doxen it returned a number of results.[/quote]
Dachshund ;)

To be fair, Doxen does appear online in places. No doubt a bastardized spelling tho.

And to be honest, I misspelled it when I was googling for a picture, but not after I spent 10 minutes wondering WTF you were referring to ^_^

I've never actually been around a wiener dog (what we always called them ^_^ ) Are they cool little dogs? I never had a friend with one growing up, and never liked them enough to just walk up to one with its owner to say hello. Unlike just about anyone I see on the street with a Rott or Dobie. I tend to just walk right up to them :D

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='673659' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:21 PM']Dachshund ;)

To be fair, Doxen does appear online in places. No doubt a bastardized spelling tho.

And to be honest, I misspelled it when I was googling for a picture, but not after I spent 10 minutes wondering WTF you were referring to ^_^

I've never actually been around a wiener dog (what we always called them ^_^ ) Are they cool little dogs? I never had a friend with one growing up, and never liked them enough to just walk up to one with its owner to say hello. Unlike just about anyone I see on the street with a Rott or Dobie. I tend to just walk right up to them :D[/quote]

Thats what my mom always called them.

We had one growing up that had a thyroid problem, the poor thing had her bellie barely off the floor. Parents currently have two, they really are great dogs that have alot of enegery but can tone it down and be couch dog that will sit on the couch with you (when they get older, the puppies not so much). For a person with young kids they are ideal.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='673663' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:28 PM']Thats what my mom always called them.

We had one growing up that had a thyroid problem, the poor thing had her bellie barely off the floor. Parents currently have two, they really are great dogs that have alot of enegery but can tone it down and be couch dog that will sit on the couch with you (when they get older, the puppies not so much). For a person with young kids they are ideal.[/quote]
It is pronounced doxen, but not spelled that way ;)

I always thought they were cool to look at, but as I said, I've never been around one. I'll make a point of trying to get to know the next one I happen to see. Maybe there's a little dog out there I might like.

It sure as fuck won't be a pom, though. :wave: Straycat :D

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='673664' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:35 PM']It is pronounced doxen, but not spelled that way ;)

I always thought they were cool to look at, but as I said, I've never been around one. I'll make a point of trying to get to know the next one I happen to see. Maybe there's a little dog out there I might like.

It sure as fuck won't be a pom, though. :wave: Straycat :D[/quote]

They are great dogs. B)

[quote name='creechnasty' post='673607' date='Jun 16 2008, 07:22 PM']Miniature schnauzer.

Awesome dogs... I had one growing up and I have one now.

Plus they don't shed.[/quote]
X2

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='673665' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:42 PM']They are great dogs. B)[/quote]
My family had a lot of those dogs (three generations) and it's pronunced "Dachs-hoond". They are good dogs, but prone to back problems. The last one we had was Pretzel III, and he lived to be 16 until my folks finally put him out of his misery (cataracts, back issues, deaf, etc).
They are good dogs though. Been around them all my life and they are family oriented. Plus the Wiener Dog WinterNationals commercial is worth something.
Just get a miniature, as standard Dachsunds aren't all that small, and get one with short hair as wire-haired ones shed like a mother.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='673624' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:07 PM']Self-cleaning litter box.

Problem solved...[/quote]
I have to say, as an unwilling participant in cat ownership, that this is patently false. I can smell their ammonia-laden shitbox from a mile away, regardless of how clean it is. I have owned cats, and they are perfect apartment pets, if you can get used to the ammonia smell, which is suprisingly easy to get used to.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='673694' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:54 PM']from threads past ive heard that pit bulls are some of the most loving dogs on the planet, so im surprised no genius has suggested getting one of them yet

:rolleyes:[/quote]
But they just aren't.....are you on record as denying that Pit Bulls are generally an agressive breed? I have a Boxer, which resembles a Pit in appearance, but their temperament is SO different from a Pit's.....

Toy Poodle, man. I know they aren't the most masculine dogs out there but they can't be beat in any area.

* Long life span
* Extremely smart
* Not aggressive
* Loyal to the family and protective of kids
* Don't shed their hair and if they do it's a fuzzy ball that's easy to pick up.
* Don't get that dog smell even if they aren't bathed regularly

I've had poodle's in my family my entire life. Along with some of the other breeds that are mentioned on here. I loved all my dogs like they were my kids but honestly, the Poodles have been the best of the bunch.
MULLY

Here are my babies. The one on the right passed away last August at the ripe old age of 15.
[img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8465/gizpooab2.jpg[/img]

And here is the one on the left in the above photo before a hair cut. I love that fat mushy face.
[img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2310/pookifo6.jpg[/img]

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='673619' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:01 PM'][img]http://girlfromthenorthcountry.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/dachshund.jpg[/img][/quote]

Like Benny Hill said, a dog and a half long, and a half a dog high.

They kind of creep me out. ^_^

I've owned a lot of dogs, mostly bigger breeds, but I have to agree with Mully. If you want a small dog with young children, toy poodles are good dogs.

You don't have to get the poodle cut, and do the ribbons. They don't have to look gay. ( no offense Mully ;) )

I also have a small Beagle ( I think she's classified as 13 inch :shrug: ) that we've had for about 16 years. Good small dog, but they do shed.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673716' date='Jun 17 2008, 05:32 PM']Like Benny Hill said, a dog and a half long, and a half a dog high.

I've owned a lot of dogs, mostly bigger breeds, but I have to agree with Mully. If you want a small dog with young children, toy poodles are good dogs.

You don't have to get the poodle cut, and do the ribbons. They don't have to look gay. ( no offense Mully ;) )

I also have a small Beagle ( I think she's classified as 13 inch :shrug: ) that we've had for about 16 years. Good small dog, but they do shed.[/quote]
Beagles >>> Poodles (sorry Mully -_- )

I dunno how I forgot about my buddy Fred's dog... Beagle... Bailey ^_^

Only word of warning - they are hounds, so keep it on a leash or don't be surprised if you never see it again. But Bailey was a terrific dog. Smaller than I would like in a dog, but still a great companion.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='673677' date='Jun 16 2008, 10:49 PM']My family had a lot of those dogs (three generations) and it's pronunced "Dachs-hoond". They are good dogs, but prone to back problems. The last one we had was Pretzel III, and he lived to be 16 until my folks finally put him out of his misery (cataracts, back issues, deaf, etc).
They are good dogs though. Been around them all my life and they are family oriented. Plus the Wiener Dog WinterNationals commercial is worth something.
[color="#FF0000"]Just get a miniature, as standard Dachsunds aren't all that small, and get one with short hair as wire-haired ones shed like a mother.[/color][/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='Bunghole' post='673632' date='Jun 16 2008, 09:26 PM']Jack Russel Terrier...or most/any terriers or schnauzers. Avoid really little dogs like chihuahuas, poms and the like. Annoying, nervous, yip-yappers they are.

/Yoda[/quote]

Jack Russell terrier... hell no.
Pomeranian... had one, hell no.
Dachsund... aunt had two, hell no. Those little fuckers barked when the wind blew because they were right at eye level with the grass and could see it moving... again, hell no.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='673705' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:34 AM']Toy Poodle, man. I know they aren't the most masculine dogs out there but they can't be beat in any area.

* Long life span
* Extremely smart
* Not aggressive
* Loyal to the family and protective of kids
* Don't shed their hair and if they do it's a fuzzy ball that's easy to pick up.
* Don't get that dog smell even if they aren't bathed regularly

I've had poodle's in my family my entire life. Along with some of the other breeds that are mentioned on here. I loved all my dogs like they were my kids but honestly, the Poodles have been the best of the bunch.
MULLY

Here are my babies. The one on the right passed away last August at the ripe old age of 15.
[img]http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8465/gizpooab2.jpg[/img]

And here is the one on the left in the above photo before a hair cut. I love that fat mushy face.
[img]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2310/pookifo6.jpg[/img][/quote]

I wasn't a poodle fan at all (I've had two Rotties) but you can't beat them for smaller house pets. With boys in the house don't go Tiny Toy but you can easily go Toy and be fine. We have two they weigh right around 8 and 9 pounds. They wrestle with my boys just fine. Aren't all yappy, are smart (read:easy to housebreak), and don't shed. Just take em to the groomers once every 2-3 months for a $25 grooming.

Also, a miniature Schnauzer I had as a kid - was a pretty good dog. They do get a little nippy.

Either would make a great house dog. Either will get yappy if you let them be (especially when doorbell rings, etc.) you just have to have some "slight behavior modification" (Read: pop it in the ass when it does it) and in a couple days they stop that as well. Never been happier than with the Toy Poodles. Also, if taking them on trips with you they can travel damn near anywhere. But, they love to be lap dogs if you'll let em.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='673719' date='Jun 17 2008, 06:54 PM']Beagles >>> Poodles (sorry Mully -_- )

I dunno how I forgot about my buddy Fred's dog... Beagle... Bailey ^_^

Only word of warning - they are hounds, so keep it on a leash or don't be surprised if you never see it again. But Bailey was a terrific dog. Smaller than I would like in a dog, but still a great companion.[/quote]

Beagles are great dogs, but like you said, they are hounds. They stink like a dog no matter how often you wash them and they have that fucking howl.
MULLY

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673716' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:32 PM']Like Benny Hill said, a dog and a half long, and a half a dog high.

[color="#FF0000"]You don't have to get the poodle cut, and do the ribbons. They don't have to look gay. ( no offense Mully ;) )[/color]

I also have a small Beagle ( I think she's classified as 13 inch :shrug: ) that we've had for about 16 years. Good small dog, but they do shed.[/quote]

None taken. My ex wife pampers them to no end. The one in the bottom photo usually looks all mushy and grown out like that. The poodle cut with the ribbons doesn't suit her personality. We only gave her that cut once and that's in that top photo. The other one was real prissy though and she really liked being made up with the bows and the Gene Simmons pony tail on top of her head.
MULLY

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='673746' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:37 AM']Dachsund... aunt had two, hell no. Those little fuckers barked when the wind blew because they were right at eye level with the grass and could see it moving... again, hell no.[/quote]

Were they puppies? The two my parents currently are and that is true, the one we had growing up only barked every so often but she wasnt a puppy either.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='673780' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:18 AM']Were they puppies? The two my parents currently are and that is true, the one we had growing up only barked every so often but she wasnt a puppy either.[/quote]
No. They had these dogs from the time they were puppies until they both died... and they did it every time I was around.

I just dropped a line to my ex-neighbor, who had one of the best "little dogs" I can ever remember. Terrific temperment. Not a big barker. Loyal and loveable... I enjoyed taking care of him when my bud was out of town, etc...

And it too, was a Beagle mix, it turns out. Beagle with some Corgi. As a *big dog* lover, that basically leaves a Beagle as the only small dog I've come in repeated contact with that I truly like.

But, they can be barkers/howlers (neither of the two I know were) and as I mentioned earlier, they need a fence or a leash at all times, or they are prone to following their nose to any damn place imaginable. Though my neighbor's dog was not bad at all about this... eh who knows. That's as much help as I can provide :D -_-

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='673786' date='Jun 17 2008, 10:34 AM']No. They had these dogs from the time they were puppies until they both died... and they did it every time I was around.[/quote]

They probabally smelled the republican on you. :P

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='673797' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:08 PM']They probabally smelled the republican on you. :P[/quote]
may have. :lol:

but they barked when my grandmother and grandfather were around too... and they're die-hard democrats... B)

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='673802' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:31 AM']may have. :lol:

but they barked when my grandmother and grandfather were around too... and they're die-hard democrats... B)[/quote]

Guess it depends on the individual dog, the two my parents have now (puppies) bark alot, the one I had growing up and my grandparents had one as well, were fairly quiet and only barked around strangers.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='673867' date='Jun 17 2008, 03:09 PM']Don't you mean "doxen?" :ninja:[/quote]

[img]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/extramustard/images/Han.Solo.jpg[/img]

[size=4]Laugh it up fuzzball.[/size]

[url="http://www.google.com/search?q=doxen&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1"]http://www.google.com/search?q=doxen&r...amp;startPage=1[/url]

Archived