Ken Griffey Jr. traded

[quote name='oldschooler' post='683229' date='Jul 31 2008, 02:50 PM']9 years? Damn. Doesn't seem that long ago.

Sad day. End of an era (albeit a losing one).

Wish the team would have been more competitive while he was there.[/quote]

Ditto. I thought the Reds would surely win a WS when we got Junior. We had just come off a 90+ win season and added the best player in baseball to the team.

Not even close.

:sigh:

[quote name='Jason' post='683228' date='Jul 31 2008, 01:48 PM'][b]The White Sox approached us[/b], so obviously they thought he had value.

And you're right, we didn't salary dump. Apparently we will continue to pay a portion of his salary the rest of the year.[/quote]

Ive heard we approached the White Sox.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='683241' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:11 PM']Ive heard we approached the White Sox.[/quote]

Cut from the article in Post #38 of this thread:

[quote]Today, Reds manager Dusty Baker said the White Sox initiated the deal.

"They wanted Junior badly. We didn't approach them. They approached us," Baker said.[/quote]

[quote]Trade to Reds may benefit Masset
Right-hander could start after being used in relief by White Sox
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Nick Masset woke up Thursday morning to the news of a potential major trade involving Ken Griffey, Jr. and the White Sox.
It wasn't until approximately 15 minutes later that the right-hander found out he was part of said deal.

"Kenny said he really had to make a move right now to get another bat in the lineup," Masset told MLB.com of his talk with White Sox general manager Ken Williams in regard to being part of the Griffey trade, which also sent infielder Danny Richar to the Reds, and is pending approval from the Commissioner's Office.

"He also told me how this helps me, giving me the opportunity to be a starter," Masset added. "He said that he put in some good words about me to the Reds. I really respect Kenny for that part. I think it's going to be a win-win situation for both teams."

Masset, 26, came to the White Sox as part of the Brandon McCarthy trade with Texas on Dec. 23, 2006. While John Danks was the cornerstone of this particular deal, Williams was just as excited to have added a plus-arm such as Masset's at the time.

Moving to the bullpen proved to be a tough adjustment for Masset, not unlike the pitcher for whom he was originally traded, as he posted a 2-3 record and 7.09 ERA in 2007. When rosters expanded last September, Masset was not called back to the Majors.

But he lost 25 pounds before coming into Spring Training, 2008, and had more life on his fastball. Masset served primarily as a middle reliever this season, with a few opportunities later in the game, and leaves the White Sox with a 1-0 record and 4.63 ERA in 44 2/3 innings.

In 59 games for the White Sox, Masset made two starts. One of those stood up as the lone victory for the South Siders over the Cubs in 2007.

"Ultimately, I think it's going to really open up my future as a starter," said Masset of the move to the Reds. "I'm really looking forward to being a starter, if that's where they want me to fit.

"That's something I always wanted to do, and I'm excited to head over to the National League. But I also have a lot of great friendships with the guys over here, and it's tough leaving a first place team in contention for the playoffs. It's tough leaving the White Sox."

As of noon, Masset had not heard from the Reds, but he did add one interesting twist from the trade. Masset's favorite baseball player to watch growing up was none other than Ken Griffey, Jr.

"Being a big leaguer for a little while now, you understand the business of the game," Masset said. "It's the way it goes, who fits in best in which role."[/quote]

Ok, they make a starter out of Masset. That gives us 42 right handed starters and no left handed starters.

You have to think Harang, Volquez and Cueto are here next year. Who gets traded? Thompson? Bailey? Arroyo? Even if they do go with an all right handed rotation, we have more than we need. Do they move Cueto to the pen? He has been outstanding his first time through the order, less so in later innings.

What do you think?

[quote name='Jason' post='683255' date='Jul 31 2008, 02:27 PM']Ok, they make a starter out of Masset. That gives us 42 right handed starters and no left handed starters.

You have to think Harang, Volquez and Cueto are here next year. Who gets traded? Thompson? Bailey? Arroyo? Even if they do go with an all right handed rotation, we have more than we need. Do they move Cueto to the pen? He has been outstanding his first time through the order, less so in later innings.

What do you think?[/quote]
thompson more time in AAA. arroyo can be shopped in offseason if he finishes strong. i dont see cueto going to the pen. he is a rookie and has pitched better than people should expet out of him.

[quote name='Jason' post='683255' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:27 PM']Ok, they make a starter out of Masset. That gives us 42 right handed starters and no left handed starters.

What do you think?[/quote]

I think we'll be lucky if Masset amounts to anything, so he's not really a factor IMO.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='683257' date='Jul 31 2008, 02:36 PM']I think we'll be lucky if Masset amounts to anything, so he's not really a factor IMO.[/quote]

we'll see. posting a 1.98 era over an 18 appearance stretch is pretty solid. If he really does throw 95mph and is a ground ball pitcher with a sinker and a cutter, there's at least something work with there. Definately wish we had a better pitching coach though.

[quote]Official release on Griffey
Thursday, July 31, 2008, 03:39 PM EST [Reds]

From the Reds:

WASHINGTON - Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the acquisitions of RHP Nick Masset (pronounced MASS-it) and minor league IF Danny Richar (REE-char) from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for OF Ken Griffey Jr. and cash considerations.

"This is an opportunity for Ken to play for a first-place team," Jocketty said. "We hope it works out for him. Our ownership and fans appreciate the contributions he made to the organization and to our city in the time he was in Cincinnati."

Masset, 26, this season for the White Sox went 1-0 with 1 save and a 4.63 ERA in 32 appearances, including 1 start. Originally selected by the Texas Rangers in the eighth round of the 2000 first-year player draft, he was acquired by the White Sox in December 2006, along with LHP John Danks and RHP Jacob Rasner, in exchange for RHP Brandon McCarthy and OF David Paisano. He could join the Reds as soon as tomorrow night in Washington. Masset will wear uniform number 40.

Richar, 25, this season for Class AAA Charlotte hit .262 with 9 HR, 39 RBI and 11 stolen bases in 62 games. Last season at Charlotte and Class AAA Tucson he combined to hit .305 with 13 HR and 61 RBI in 98 appearances but also hit .230 in 56 games for the White Sox. He will report to the Reds' Class AAA affiliate in Louisville.

Griffey, 38, in 102 appearances for the Reds this season hit .245 with 20 doubles, 15 HR and 53 RBI. He ranks among Major League Baseball's all-time leaders in most statistical categories, including home runs (608, 6th) and RBI (1754, 16th). Griffey was acquired from the Seattle Mariners on February 10, 2000 and in 945 games with the Reds hit .270 with 904 hits, 210 HR and 602 RBI.

To make room on the 40-man roster, IF/OF Ryan Freel (torn right distal hamstring tendon) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list.[/quote]

Let me see if I get this straight...

-According to Mgr Dusty Baker, the White Sox approached us, and wanted Griffey BAD.
-We get 2 guys that nobody has ever heard of and we still have to pay the bulk of Griffey's salary for this year.

And some of you guys are bitchin' about the Bengals front office? :)

[quote name='whodey1971' post='683277' date='Jul 31 2008, 04:07 PM']Surprised no one else has mentioned this yet, although for some reason I find this funny...

On the White Sox current roster:

3 = Harold Baines (coach)
24 = Joe Crede
30 = Nick Swisher

Now what???[/quote]

I think Crede would give up his 24 to Junior.

For a price.

[quote name='Jason' post='683287' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:24 PM']Now, trade lock up dunn[/quote]

Oh lord. Dunn is terrible. He strikes out too much. Get rid of him and get some speed. Move the fences back a little bit, or put in some humidors.

Get this team back to where it was in the late 90's. Speed, pitching and defense. I am so sick of the Reds playing American League baseball.

ctrent

[quote]Jocketty speaks
Thursday, July 31, 2008, 04:32 PM EST [General]

From the conference call:

Kenny Williams contacted Jocketty yesterday about noon, they completed the agreement by the end of the Reds' game, but then it was up to Griffey and Brian Goldberg. That was completed this morning.

Williams approached them first.

As for if it had anything to do with the Brantley incident: "No, absolutely not."

Here's what I thought was the most interesting response, when asked about this impacting Dunn's future:

"It gives us an opportunity to look at what our future can be, bring Jerry Hairston back a day early. Move Jay Bruce to right, Dunn in left and see how that outfield makeup works as we evaluate our club for the future."

Jocketty said he was surprised when the White Sox called.

He also said there were other talks, but nothing that fit and he was surprised there was relatively little mvoement league-wide.

As for the two players, he said they were both guys he'd liked for a while, and they'd watched Richar when he was in Arizona's system.

Also, Masset will start in the bullpen, but could also start.

"Intitally we’ll use him as a reliever. We don’t’ have a lot of depth at pitching. If we had something happen to one of our starters, with Thompson and Maloney at AAA, it gives us more depth."[/quote]

I believe the Reds will still have to pay Griffey through 2025. We are not off the hook for any of this I believe. The Reds got screwed when he signed for what little he has done for this team. I never wanted him here in the first place, we have always needed pitching and could have used this money to get it.

Griffey is guaranteed $116.5 million over the next nine years, with the Reds holding an option for a 10th season. Although Griffey 's salary will be $12.5 million a year (plus a $4 million buyout for the 10th year), the deal is worth only about $89 million in present-day dollars because Griffey agreed to defer $57.5 million of that total at 4% interest. Those payments are stretched between 2010 and 2025, when Griffey will be 56 years old.

Archived