[quote name='Smellkiperjr' post='710005' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:46 PM']Last year when Watson was doing well and Rudi was still doing his dancing-with-the-stars routine in the backfield Lewis was asked in a press conference why he didn't use Watson more. Lewis responded by saying that Watson was doing better because the line was blocking better for him. It was a classic. I can't believe you don't remember it. It ranked up there with the TD vs 10 men in the field and Lewis claimed the missing man had nothing to do with the TD.

I'll try to find the link[/quote]
Please find that link, I'd like to be wrong.

That seems awfully [i]revealing[/i] for a ML presser, though!
:shrug:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='709949' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:44 PM']gawd forbid we get creative with our talent like other teams do! And I'm not talking about him necessarily still being the starter, but there certainly isn't any reason you can't get both he and Benson on the field at the same time. Perry has shown that he can make people miss in open space and has more than proven that he is a capable receiver. Use that to your advantage. What's the worse that could happen at this point?[/quote]

I would like to come up with a pithy comment for your post but you are unfortunatly correct. What's the worst that could happen? I think we have all seen the worse the last 5 games. Anything is better at this point but I am not a fan of the change of pace back concept.

I still don't think Perry is very good. He is averaging 2.8 yards a carry after 5 games and a steller 4 yards per pass completion. Those are bad numbers on any team. The fumbles are the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. The guy has not played much these last few years and he just doesn't seem to have it anymore.

And before anyone brings up the O line, I do remember Cory Dillon rushing for over 1300 yards on that pathetic joke of a team in 2002. Was the line better in 02? Not really sure but we were 28th in points and 32nd in defense so its hard to believe the line was that much better.

[quote name='SF2' post='710017' date='Oct 5 2008, 10:01 PM']I would like to come up with a pithy comment for your post but you are unfortunatly correct. What's the worst that could happen? I think we have all seen the worse the last 5 games. Anything is better at this point but I am not a fan of the change of pace back concept.

I still don't think Perry is very good. He is averaging 2.8 yards a carry after 5 games and a steller 4 yards per pass completion. Those are bad numbers on any team. The fumbles are the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. The guy has not played much these last few years and he just doesn't seem to have it anymore.

And before anyone brings up the O line, I do remember Cory Dillon rushing for over 1300 yards on that pathetic joke of a team in 2002. Was the line better in 02? Not really sure but we were 28th in points and 32nd in defense so its hard to believe the line was that much better.[/quote]
Maybe the 2005 version of Perry that we all point to and wonder at is more a function of the 2005 offense clicking than any other old memories we may have.

Maybe Perry was only good then?

Fuck, this team sucks.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='710006' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:48 PM'][b]Please find that link, I'd like to be wrong[/b].

That seems awfully [i]revealing[/i] for a ML presser, though!
:shrug:[/quote]

It was during the 9/25/07 press conference following the Seahawks game (at the 3:07 mark). Rudi had 17 attempts for 9 yards and Watson had 9 attempts for 60 yards with a TD. Here's the conversation:

[b]Chick[/b]: [i]"Rudi struggled......."[/i]
[b]Lewis[/b]: [i]" No, Rudi did not struggle. Rudi did not struggle. Rudi had 5 yard gains, minus 4 yard gain. Five yard gain, minus 3 yard gain. Rudi did not struggle, that's a fallacy so don't even go there."[/i]
[b]Chick[/b]:[i] "OK, Kenny came in there and provided a spark. What do you think the difference was in his running?"[/i]
[b]Lewis[/b]: [i]"Well the difference was we were lining up in the huddle and calling plays and that can be a big difference in our guys up front and being aggressive and attacking, and that seemed to be the biggest difference in the football game there, what we were doing offensively and us being able to get a hat on a guy, hat on a guy, and let the runner do his thing"[/i]

I love how Lewis refers to Rudi's negative yardage as gains. I dunno, but +5, -4, +5, -3 has the faint odor of failure to me. Then you throw in his total gains on the day compared to Watson's gains and I think 'struggle' is a polite term.

[quote name='Smellkiperjr' post='709952' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:47 PM']Perry's a classic 3rd down back, he's just not suited to pounding it up the middle. I hope Benson emerges as the main runner so Perry can spot him on 3rd downs.[/quote]
And we took this guy ahead of Steven Jackson. Who's idea was it to draft him? I'm still imagining to this day, what it would have been like if we'd taken this guy over Perry. We would have had a much more potent rushing attack imo. Everyone know Perry had problems fumbling the ball at college, but Jim Anderson overlooked it and still took him. I'm not sure if this is a scouting issue or what, but our research on talent drafted in higher rounds over the last few years under ML has been shit. Either injury prone, character issues or something else that was overlooked.

Anyway, back to the thread, Benson was ok imo. The moment he kicks out Perry for the starting gig, can't come soon enough. Use Perry on third down for now, until we kick his sorry ass out of town when his contract runs out after the season's finished.

[quote][size=5][b]Benson provides lift [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
October 5, 2008

IRVING, Texas - Get a good look at the first glimpse of Cedric Benson on Sunday at Texas Stadium?

Get used to him because he could very well be the Bengals starting running back in Jersey next week against the Jets. Or at the very least he could be counted on to get more than the 10 carries he had in the 31-22 loss to the Cowboys in his fifth day with the team.

As the Bengals try to recover from starter Chris Perry's second straight devastating fourth-quarter fumble (and his fifth in five games), they were impressed with their newest addition even though he finished with just 30 yards. With his fresh legs getting the call when the Bengals were down, 17-0, early in the second quarter, Benson responded with 25 yards on six carries that featured a 10-yard burst up the middle and a hard-fought two-yard gain on a toss left that got the first down on third-and-one.

"The guy runs so hard; you can see why he was a top (four) pick," said quarterback Carson Palmer. "He's only been at practice three days and to come in against a team we don't play at all, not playing in the spring camps, not playing at all in training camp or the preseason or the first three or four weeks ... he definitely was a spark for us."

Benson, who hadn't worn pads since he got hurt last November playing for the Bears, had been out of work since being released in June. Benson, taken with the fourth pick in the 2005 draft, began his career rehab fittingly in front of so many family members he didn't know the number on a steamy 87-degree day in his native Texas as he fought what he called "cold butterflies."

"Yeah, I was nervous. Naturally. It's still football," Benson said. "I didn't feel much different at all. Once I went out there and got my carries, it was just 'go.' ''

The 5-11, 220-pound Benson said he felt in good shape, but admitted he got "winded a little bit because I ran consecutively in that first series along with being so hyped up."

Benson didn't have any buyer remorse when the score hit 17-0.

"I knew we needed a spark," he said. "That's what I'm here for."

Head coach Marvin Lewis, sold on Benson's workout last Tuesday, felt pretty good about it.

"He's got to do some things to work himself into football shape, but I thought he did well with the little practice he had," Lewis said. "He was able to get some creases and cracks and he was able to take advantage of it."

It was still a poor day for the running game with 61 yards on 20 carries, but Benson likes his new team.

"The offensive line held up; without it the running backs couldn't have made plays," Benson said. "It' a great defense, special teams can make plays. We've got a great quarterback, great receivers, great backs. I think it's the kind of team that can really get it turned around. We're probably missing that one little thing. We just had a couple of mishaps and the fumble really hurt us."

Benson says he's not looking to barge in and take over at this early juncture of his Bengals career.

"I don't expect big things. As I get back to work and get more into the playbook, I'll get more involved," he said. "I didn't want to put too much expectations on myself. I just want to do something for the team. "

That may happen on an even bigger level next Sunday.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7143"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7143[/url]

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='710051' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:01 AM']And we took this guy ahead of Steven Jackson. Who's idea was it to draft him? I'm still imagining to this day, what it would have been like if we'd taken this guy over Perry. We would have had a much more potent rushing attack imo. [b]Everyone know Perry had problems fumbling the ball at college[/b], but Jim Anderson overlooked it and still took him. I'm not sure if this is a scouting issue or what, but our research on talent drafted in higher rounds over the last few years under ML has been shit. Either injury prone, character issues or something else that was overlooked.

Anyway, back to the thread, Benson was ok imo. The moment he kicks out Perry for the starting gig, can't come soon enough. Use Perry on third down for now, until we kick his sorry ass out of town when his contract runs out after the season's finished.[/quote]

you must be everyone... because he didn't have a fumbling in college.

as for Benson, him not having the luxury of spring football, training camp, and more than about 4 days of practice I thought he did very well. When he's given a few weeks to get his football legs under him and he learns the protections, etc. he'll be a fine football player. I said it last week - I love the pickup. He's a guy that doesn't have a lot of mileage on him so he could be a legit runner for several years if he works out.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='710051' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:01 AM']And we took this guy ahead of Steven Jackson. Who's idea was it to draft him? I'm still imagining to this day, what it would have been like if we'd taken this guy over Perry. We would have had a much more potent rushing attack imo. [b]Everyone know Perry had problems fumbling the ball at college, but Jim Anderson overlooked it and still took him.[/b] I'm not sure if this is a scouting issue or what, but our research on talent drafted in higher rounds over the last few years under ML has been shit. Either injury prone, character issues or something else that was overlooked.

Anyway, back to the thread, Benson was ok imo. The moment he kicks out Perry for the starting gig, can't come soon enough. Use Perry on third down for now, until we kick his sorry ass out of town when his contract runs out after the season's finished.[/quote]

[quote][b]My stat of the day[/b]
Chris Perry this season: 5 fumbles
Chris Perry carried 717 times in his final three years at Michigan and did not fumble once.
2001: 112 carries
2002: 267 carries
2003 338 carries
[b]0 fumbles[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog"]http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog[/url]

[quote name='Smellkiperjr' post='710042' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:19 PM']It was during the 9/25/07 press conference following the Seahawks game (at the 3:07 mark). Rudi had 17 attempts for 9 yards and Watson had 9 attempts for 60 yards with a TD. Here's the conversation:

[b]Chick[/b]: [i]"Rudi struggled......."[/i]
[b]Lewis[/b]: [i]" No, Rudi did not struggle. Rudi did not struggle. Rudi had 5 yard gains, minus 4 yard gain. Five yard gain, minus 3 yard gain. Rudi did not struggle, that's a fallacy so don't even go there."[/i]
[b]Chick[/b]:[i] "OK, Kenny came in there and provided a spark. What do you think the difference was in his running?"[/i]
[b]Lewis[/b]: [i]"Well the difference was we were lining up in the huddle and calling plays and that can be a big difference in our guys up front and being aggressive and attacking, and that seemed to be the biggest difference in the football game there, what we were doing offensively and us being able to get a hat on a guy, hat on a guy, and let the runner do his thing"[/i]

I love how Lewis refers to Rudi's negative yardage as gains. I dunno, but +5, -4, +5, -3 has the faint odor of failure to me. Then you throw in his total gains on the day compared to Watson's gains and I think 'struggle' is a polite term.[/quote]

I remember that quote. Marvin wasn't saying they block better for Kenny. His comment was simply that the Oline performs better when we're not running no-huddle.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='710081' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:53 AM'][url="http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog"]http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog[/url][/quote]
Ok Ok, but it doesn't disguise the fact that he NOW funbles alot and at crucial times. Is he in league with Jonah?
Also, it's been very dissappointing, thus far anyway, from a 1st round draft pick that doesn't seem to hack it as an everydown back.

benson did alright, impressive for having just a few days in the offense, so there arent many plays he is a part of yet. that should grow each week so they are interchangeable.

if he continues to do well, they should go ahead and give him a longer deal, cause he is gonna bounce after having proved he can play a bit to the highest bidder.

itll take 4-6 weeks to really gauge anything he has, after all its not like dallas could gameplan for him AT ALL, since he hasnt really played forever.. perry can still be a valuable part of the offense if he can hold onto the ball. that seems like it would be a fixable problem. 1 of his 5 werent his fault, it was helmet to ball, and no ones holding on, but 4 fumbles is about 4 too many.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='710091' date='Oct 6 2008, 08:19 AM']I remember that quote. Marvin wasn't saying they block better for Kenny. His comment was simply that the Oline performs better when we're not running no-huddle.[/quote]

Well, that's his direct quote, and if you can get anything about a no-huddle out of his comment then bravo, because I can't. Wouldn't it be simpler to say "Rudi's not struggling, he just had a bad game and we're fortunate Watson stepped up"

Oh, forget what I said, it was Chick who asked the question, so Lewis was bound to be contrary.

[quote name='Smellkiperjr' post='710100' date='Oct 6 2008, 08:58 AM']Well, that's his direct quote, and if you can get anything about a no-huddle out of his comment then bravo, because I can't. Wouldn't it be simpler to say "Rudi's not struggling, he just had a bad game and we're fortunate Watson stepped up"

Oh, forget what I said, it was Chick who asked the question, so Lewis was bound to be contrary.[/quote]

:huh: It's pretty clear: [quote]Well the difference was we were lining up in the huddle and calling plays[/quote]

The question and answer were in reference to struggling running the ball out of the no-huddle. It wasn't the only time Marvin talked about it. He mentioned on several occasions that the oline run blocked better when they huddled up and got their assignmens straight, rather than running the no-huddle and making the calls at the line.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='710051' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:01 AM']And we took this guy ahead of Steven Jackson. Who's idea was it to draft him? I'm still imagining to this day, what it would have been like if we'd taken this guy over Perry. We would have had a much more potent rushing attack imo. [b]Everyone know Perry had problems fumbling the ball at college, but Jim Anderson overlooked it and still took him. I'm not sure if this is a scouting issue or what, but our research on talent drafted in higher rounds over the last few years under ML has been shit[/b]. Either injury prone, character issues or something else that was overlooked.[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='710081' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:53 AM'][url="http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog"]http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog[/url][/quote]

[quote]Chris Perry carried 717 times in his final three years at Michigan and did not fumble once.
2001: 112 carries
2002: 267 carries
2003 338 carries
0 fumbles[/quote]

Wow English...you should take a self imposed exile after being [b]so fucking wrong[/b].

[quote][size=5][b]T.J., Benson provide much-needed spark with ball[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Monday, October 06, 2008

IRVING, Texas — The Cincinnati Bengals offense is looking for a spark.

It got one from wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who had seven catches for 85 yards and two touchdowns.

And fans can rest assured they'll be seeing more of tailback Cedric Benson because starter Chris Perry can't quit fumbling.

Five days after signing a one-year contract, Benson rushed 10 times for 30 yards (3.0) with a long gain of 10, while Perry was limited to 31 yards on 13 carries (2.7).

"I feel like I haven't missed a day at all," Benson said. "For a while, there was a little bit of cold butterflies. But I got out there on my first series, and there was no problem. Maybe I was a little too fast or too quick. I didn't expect big things.

"As I get back to work and get more into the playbook, I'll get more involved. I didn't want to put too much expectation on myself. I just want to do something for the team."

Benson, an All-America at Texas, was back in his home state, performing in front of family and friends, and auditioning for more playing time.

"I knew all we needed was a spark," he said. "I was just looking forward to my opportunity to try and provide that spark. That's what I'm here for.

"It was fun coming back home. No question, I'm real thankful I got the opportunity and I'm definitely poised to make the best of it.

"We were right there, right in it. We just had a couple mishaps in turnovers. I think we have a great offense. We've just got to eliminate the turnovers and finish.

"All we need to do offensively is continue to move the chains and stay on the field. I can help the team out. I can bring more depth. Week in and week out, I'll get better. I feel really good. I got a lot of support from the team in practice and a lot of support from the coaches as far as preparing for this game and as far as the playbook goes. This is just the start."

Head coach Marvin Lewis was asked if he's lost any confidence in Perry.

"No!" he said. "Not at all. It is everyone's job to take care of the football whether it be the quarterback, running back, the returners. It doesn't matter. It's everyone's responsibility. Every play call you have is to attack the opponent."[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/10/06/ddn100608spbenside.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...8spbenside.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]A backfield in motion[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Benson slipping in, Perry sliding at running back [/b][/size]
Monday, October 6, 2008 3:00 AM
By Scott Priestle

The Columbus Dispatch

IRVING, Texas -- Cedric Benson had only five days to learn the Bengals' playbook, so coaches limited him to running plays and play-action passes. He will get another crash course in the coming days.

"Coach just told me I have to get the passing game down next week," Benson said after the Bengals' 31-22 loss to Dallas.

His role is expanding quickly, a reflection of the positive impression he has made in limited time and the impression Chris Perry has yet to make in extended playing time.

Perry fumbled yesterday for the fifth time in as many games. For the first time in that span, he ended the game as a role player, rather than the featured back: Late in the fourth quarter, Perry was used mainly on passing plays and Benson on running plays.

Coach Marvin Lewis insisted he has not lost confidence in Perry, but he made it clear he is troubled by the fumbles. So is Perry.

"We had control of the game. I helped us lose control," he said.

Perry is averaging 2.8 yards per carry. He carried 13 times for 31 yards against Dallas.

Benson, seeing his first action since last season, carried 10 times for 30 yards.

"The guy runs so hard," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "It's pretty easy to see why he was a top-five pick."

Benson said he benefited from a rigorous offseason workout routine.

"I felt good," he said. "No question, I could've carried it some more."

[b]Palmer returns[/b]
Palmer started and threw 39 passes, sore elbow and all. He seemed rusty in the first half, when he missed a few open receivers, but completed 16 of 22 passes with two touchdowns in the second half.

He said he felt fine throughout, and he gave a nod to the offensive line, which stymied the Dallas pass rush until the final seconds.

"That's one of the best pass rushes there is, and I didn't even get touched until that last drive," Palmer said. "You feel so bad for (the offensive linemen). They've been working so hard under a lot of pressure, a lot of criticism. To not be able to get those guys the confidence they need and they deserve after a game like that, it's tough."

[b]Something special[/b]
Special teams coach Darrin Simmons thought the Cowboys would be susceptible to an onside kick, so the Bengals practiced it throughout the week and executed it with 14 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Kicker Shayne Graham dribbled the ball 10 yards, then absorbed a hit from a Dallas player as linebacker Rashad Jeanty recovered the ball.

"It was fun finally getting hit one good time," Graham said.

It was part of a strong performance by the Bengals' special teams. Glenn Holt had kickoff returns of 46 and 60 yards.

[b]Fourth and short[/b]
Cornerback Johnathan Joseph played sparingly after missing two games because of a sprained ankle. David Jones again started opposite Leon Hall. ... Second-round pick Jerome Simpson, third-round picks Andre Caldwell and Pat Sims and fifth-round pick Jason Shirley were inactive. ... Daniel Coats started at fullback. Reagan Maui'a was inactive after starting the previous two games.

spriestle@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/10/06/bengals_notebook_1006.ART_ART_10-06-08_C4_91BHA6E.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101&title=Bengals+notebook%3A+A+backfield+in+motion"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...field+in+motion[/url]

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='710051' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:01 AM']Everyone know Perry had problems fumbling the ball at college, but Jim Anderson overlooked it and still took him.[/quote]

That is so wrong, i am genuinely embarrassed for you.

Ouch.

So Marvin Lewis said that we run better when we're not running the no-huddle.

Why do we run the no-huddle?

I wonder if Bratkowski isn't Marvin Lewis' guy, and if Mike Brown has a say in how his guy Bratkowski runs the offense?

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='710229' date='Oct 6 2008, 02:21 PM']That is so wrong, i am genuinely embarrassed for you.

Ouch.

So Marvin Lewis said that we run better when we're not running the no-huddle.

Why do we run the no-huddle?

I wonder if Bratkowski isn't Marvin Lewis' guy, and if Mike Brown has a say in how his guy Bratkowski runs the offense?[/quote]

Rather than scrapping the no-huddle (which can be very effective for us), why not fix the real problem? The real problem is that the line is not communicating with each other well, which is why we ran better last year when they huddled up and got their assignments clear. Fix the communication rather than scrapping the no-huddle all together.

Archived