Palmer Done for the Season

Randle, how about editing your post so people can clearly identify your comments from mine. OK?

[color="#FF0000"]You could use color...[/color]

[b]or the bold function...[/b]

or you could add your comments after the quote like most posters.

I don't know if Dan is Jewish. I don't care. Does that matter to you, mein Fuhrer?

Dan's intelligence is highly debatable?

Compared to your stellar post, there is no debate.

You have nothing to add except insult Dan's intelligence and ask if he is Jewish? You couldn't sleep tonight without adding those comments? You read my post and immediately thought, "I need to know it that dumbass Dan is Jewish?" Then you had to take the time out of your busy schedule to actually type that crap.

What a cock you are.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='713740' date='Oct 14 2008, 07:49 PM']I am not so sure about tagging a backup QB.

The transition tag only allows them to match
any offer another team makes. And it pays the
player top 10 money at his position.

The Franchise tag pays the player top 5 money
at his position, or 120% of his previous salary,
whichever is greater.

Plus if you use either tag on Fitz, you couldn`t
use any tag on anyone else.[/quote]

...not to mention that once Fitz would sign the tender, the money is guaranteed. For 2008, the tender amounts for QBs were $10.73 million (franchise) and $9.5 million (transition)...and you know it'll be higher for 2009.

IMO, tagging Fitz is not an option.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='713817' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:15 PM']I'm waxing nostalgic now, because there were some players I liked: Steve Tovar, Tom Tumulty, John Copeland, Alfred Williams, Eric Bienemy, Corey, Pickens, Scott, etc.

How many careers have we wasted?[/quote]

Tumulty for that 3 game period before the career injury was looking like a world beater. That was bad luck. Tovar...was always just a step too slow, but a real gamer. Ricardo MacDonald I liked. James Francis, laziest player to ever put on the Bengals jersey. And that's saying something.

Copeland...bum. Remember SI did a spread on him vs. Orlando Brown before one game vs. the browns one season. What bloody edition was that? "Masters of mediocrity"

Williams, went on to superbowls with Denver after we lowballed him.

I always loved Pickens. He was just dominant for those 3-4 years. Dude owns golf courses now in Tennessee.

[quote]Carson Palmer, through Bengals PR director Jack Brennan, said there's nothing new on his elbow, so Ryan Fitzpatrick was brought into the press conference instead.

Fitzpatrick said his job as starter would continue to be "week-to-week," but will start this week against the Steelers.[/quote]

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Fitzpatrick: Week to week[/b][/size]
Posted by MarkCurnutte at 10/15/2008 11:22 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who will start Sunday in place of the injured Carson Palmer (right elbow), said today his starting assignment is a week-to-week situation.

"I'm not looking past that," Fitzpatrick said of the Bengals' game Sunday at home against the Steelers.

Palmer declined to talk to reporters today. [b]There is no change in his prognosis[/b], said Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan. [b]Palmer is out for the Steelers game and that nothing long-term has been decided or ruled out.[/b]

The Bengals are 0-6, the Steelers 4-1.

"We have professionals in the locker room," Fitzpatrick said when asked about how the team maintains its confidence. "We can't dwell on what has happened the first six games. If we're 1-6, it's going to be a great feeling."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3a710a1630-7b36-423e-a540-48968e61a506&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='713815' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:09 PM']MB until recently, didn't realize the importance of the OL I'm convinced. In addition to the point about Klingler above, remember the crap line we had KiJana running behind? Then Rod Jones as the starting LT era?[/quote]
Klingler had his jaw broken during the same game Ki-Jana blew out his knee.

Hell, I think both injuries occurred during the same offensive series.

[quote][size=5][b]Fitzpatrick: Week-to-week[/b][/size]
October 15, 2008

[b]Bengals backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick says he's still on a week-to-week schedule and he'll wait for Carson Palmer to be re-evaluated on Sunday or Monday to see if he gets his third straight start in Houston on Oct. 26 [/b]

[b]Palmer showed up Wednesday and declined to talk to the media because there is nothing to report on his inflamed throwing elbow. He met with the Mets team doctor in New York Monday and Palmer and the team are apparently still looking at MRIs and consulting with experts before deciding the next course of action.[/b]

Two quarterbacks under Marvin Lewis, Palmer and Jon Kitna, have failed to beat the Steelers in six Paul Brown Stadium, and Fitzpatrick's challenge is no different.

"They're so stout against the run," Fitzpatrick said. "That's their history. They stop the run and they run it down your throats. Those are some areas we need to improve on. You can't be successful in the NFL if you can't run the ball."

Like last week, the Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski has another full week of game planning with Fitzpatrick as the starter.

"There's becoming more of a comfort level with the coaches," Fitzpatrick said. "What they think my strengths are and what I can do and plays they can call specifically for me. I'm starting to learn the same thing. On third down, what stuff they're going to call, that sort of stuff. It's definitely going to be a game plan that has some stuff for me. As this thing goes, however long I'm in there, Brat with bigger comfort level with me as the quarterback in terms of calling some different plays."[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7183"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7183[/url]

Well, I want to know how it was "confirmed" that
Palmer is out for the season. Because the team
sure as hell isn`t confirming it. Their saying
what they said before this thread came along.
And that he will be re-evaluated next week.
And the back-up QB is saying his job as the
starter is week to week.

Care to elaborate now Dan?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='713956' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:56 AM']Well, I want to know how it was "confirmed" that
Palmer is out for the season. Because the team
sure as hell isn`t confirming it. Their saying
what they said before this thread came along.
And that he will be re-evaluated next week.
And the back-up QB is saying his job as the
starter is week to week.

Care to elaborate now Dan?[/quote]

I don't see what the Bengals have to gain by lying about Palmer. It seems that if he is really out for the season they would move quickly to put him on IR so that we could open up another roster spot.

Of course I also thought that Braham would come back any week from his "bone bruise" and that Ahmad Brooks would be able to return to action at some point last year.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='713960' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:08 AM']I don't see what the Bengals have to gain by lying about Palmer. It seems that if he is really out for the season they would move quickly to put him on IR so that we could open up another roster spot.

Of course I also thought that Braham would come back any week from his "bone bruise" and that Ahmad Brooks would be able to return to action at some point last year.[/quote]

Oh and Peter Warrick practiced every week too.

:hmm:

My job would be week to week too if I sucked..

Though I agree why would they wait? Open the roster spot.

[quote]Palmer declined to talk to reporters today. There is no change in his prognosis, said Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan. Palmer is out for the Steelers game and that [b]nothing long-term has been decided or ruled out.[/b][/quote]
That's just some PR fluff that doesn't confirm or deny anything beyond the Steelers game.

How many times has Palmer been scheduled to talk with the media and then issued a statement through the Bengals' PR Director instead?

I don't know, but doesn't it seem a little odd?

I wish Carson had just said, "There's no changes with the elbow. It just needs some rest. It's a week to week thing. And I'm tired of talking about it. You guys can talk to Fitz now."

[quote name='oldschooler' post='713956' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:56 AM']Because the team sure as hell isn`t confirming it.[/quote]
That's the team's MO regarding releasing information about injuries.

When did the team confirm Chad tore his labrum instead of just spraining his shoulder?

I don't think the words "torn labrum" have come out of Marvin's mouth, yet.

My point is, that Dan made this thread yesterday,
and made it out to be like the decision has already been made.
At least that's what I got out of "confirmation".
Maybe they will IR him sometime in the next few weeks.
But if he HAS to have surgery, I don`t see why they would
wait a few weeks for something that is inevitable.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='713966' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:28 AM']My point is, that Dan made this thread yesterday,
wait a few weeks for something that is inevitable.[/quote]

Because its the Bengals...

[img]http://lifecm.sg/web/WhyAskWhy-pic.jpg[/img]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='713966' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:28 AM']My point is, that Dan made this thread yesterday,
wait a few weeks for something that is inevitable.[/quote]
I get what you are saying.

I said in another thread I wasn't too worried because I hadn't noticed anything inconsistent with their statements and the treatment plan.

I'm not real concerned Carson will need surgery based upon what little we know. But, elective surgeries can be delayed to allow inflammation to subside first. I'm not stating that is the case here, just explaining why a surgery could be delayed.

But, when Carson is scheduled to speak to the media and the PR Director does in his stead; my Bullshit Detector starts to go off a little bit is what I'm saying.

The game is afoot, Watson.

Much better to play it close to the vest.

The Bengals gain nothing by saying that Palmer is done for the season.

Matter of fact, if it were me, I wouldn't say who is the starter one way or the other until the last possible moment that I had to.

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA v2.0' post='713970' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:40 AM']I get what you are saying.

I said in another thread I wasn't too worried because I hadn't noticed anything inconsistent with their statements and the treatment plan.

I'm not real concerned Carson will need surgery based upon what little we know. But, elective surgeries can be delayed to allow inflammation to subside first. I'm not stating that is the case here, just explaining why a surgery could be delayed.

[b]But, when Carson is scheduled to speak to the media and the PR Director does in his stead; my Bullshit Detector starts to go off a little bit is what I'm saying.[/b]

The game is afoot, Watson.[/quote]

Carson had played in 51 straight games up until the Browns game.
And was taking snaps with the Offense during the past 2 weeks.
So of course nothing like that had ever happened before.

My guess is that since it was stated Monday that Carson isn`t playing,
and he has nothing new to say about his elbow, so he figured he
would let the guy that is starting do the Press Conference.

We all know Dan isn't lying, so it's just a matter of whether or not his information is accurate. Judging by the past, I'd say there's a 90% chance it's true.

Marvin, or Mike, or both, tell the players to lie about their injuries or not say anything. Carson isn't a liar by nature, so he's not saying anything.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess. They probably are trying to keep fans from completely losing interest and dumping their tickets for the rest of the year. The team probably won't announce it until they have to.

Hope I'm wrong and Dan's wrong, but I doubt it.

[quote name='Actium' post='713962' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:15 AM']Maybe they're afraid if they IR him too soon most of the ticketholders will dump them all at once? Just idle speculation

:shrug:[/quote]

This combined with strategic advantages is the EXACT reason why.

$$$$$$$$

[quote name='Actium' post='713962' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:15 AM']Maybe they're afraid if they IR him too soon most of the ticketholders will dump them all at once? Just idle speculation

:shrug:[/quote]

Its why we kept Odell's 1st suspention that we knew was comming quiet. (that and we were trying to get it reduced)

[quote name='oldschooler' post='713974' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:46 AM']Carson had played in 51 straight games up until the Browns game.
And was taking snaps with the Offense during the past 2 weeks.
So of course nothing like that had ever happened before.

My guess is that since it was stated Monday that Carson isn`t playing,
and he has nothing new to say about his elbow, so he figured he
would let the guy that is starting do the Press Conference.[/quote]
That is certainly a reasonable explanation.

Or maybe the PR Director showed up because Carson didn't feel like tap dancing around the questions?

I don't know.

This is the first thing which has struck me as a little odd during the Great Carson Palmer Elbow Conspiracy of 2008. Individually, I'll grant you it is probably nothing. When considered in light of how the Bengals manage information regarding injuries there could be some smoke there. Again, when did the Bengals confirm Chad's torn labrum?

In my experience, there is usually an underlying reason why something is odd. And the underlying reason is usually something they don't want you to know about. Not always, but usually. But, my experience deals with prescription drug addicts seeking more drugs and Army Privates trying to avoid getting punished. So I'm pretty good at spotting bullshit when I see it.

I mean it's not like the Bengals to be mysterious about injuries in the past.

Is it?

[quote][size=5][b]Surgery not option [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
October 15, 2008

Surgery isn't an option right now for Carson Palmer.

The amount of rest and what to do if rest doesn't cure his inflamed right elbow is what is being discussed. Head coach Marvin Lewis wouldn't discuss a time frame, but there has been plenty of time for Bengaldom to express their fears about its franchise quarterback.

From a legend of four decades ago to Palmer's Pro Bowl receivers, the concern is rampant. Chad Ocho Cinco and T.J. Houshmandzadeh would understand if the club shuts him down for the year with 10 games to play.

"Yeah," said Ocho Cinco when asked if he would rest Palmer the rest of the year. "Whoever makes the call on Nine, I would tell them to do whatever they need to do. I don't think surgery would be the best thing. It's 50-50. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it's not. I think Nine should sit down. For Nine, we have next year."

Houshmandzadeh and Palmer are close and he knows Palmer wants to play.

"If we could string some things together and pile up some Ws here, maybe things would change," Houshmandzadeh said. "But with a quarterback and it's your arm and it's the arm you throw with, you've got to be as careful as you can be in a situation like this. I'm sure he was worried, obviously. Carson has what? Eight, nine years left to play? You just have to be smart."

Lewis said the Bengals could look at adding a quarterback to the 53-man roster or practice squad as Palmer rests. But don't look for it to be former Bengal Jon Kitna. The trading deadline is passed and he's on Detroit's injured reserve. Plus, the Bengals didn't bite if Kitna was indeed put on the trading block last week.

Even though both rookie receivers Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell have been inactive the past two weeks, Lewis praised the progress of both and said both could be dressed for a game together for the first time. "They carry themselles like NFL receivers and won't be out of place," Lewis said.

Lewis also said he'll see how Graham kicks Thursday, but was impressed with what Dave Rayner did in his first full-scale practice with the club Wednesday.

One of the reasons the Bengals are being cautious with Palmer showed up at PBS Wednesday. Bengals president Mike Brown lived the tragedy of Greg Cook, a guy he believes would have been one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time if not for a shoulder injury.

After emerging from a TV interview, Cook also urged caution.

"Mike has to be thinking that, not so much in relation to me," Cook said. "But you've got a franchise quarterback that they're paying so much money and the way it's going losing the first six games you're not going to go to the playoffs unless a miracle happens."

Cook, 61, a University of Cincinnati product, was named AFL Rookie of the Year in 1969 despite missing three games with a torn rotator cuff that limited him to throw just three passes the rest of his career.

"We really didn't know what it was and I kept aggravating it," said Cook, who settled in Cincinnati. "There was no arthroscopic surgery or MRIs so they weren't able to determine exactly what was wrong. If I hadn't finished the first year and been operated on, I'd more than likely would have come back and been all right."

Of course, none of this matches up with Palmer's situation. Cook suffered the injury more than 10 years before Palmer was born, and Palmer's problem is an inflamed elbow not a shoulder injury, and the indications have been Palmer needs only rest and not surgery.

But Cook still like the conservative approach.

"It's the smart thing," he said.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7183"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7183[/url]

Archived