Reds getting active

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='735312' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:23 PM']Apparently we talked with the Yanks about one of their extra outfielders...I would like to get Xavier Nady. Hes a right handed hitter, hit .305 with 25 homers and 97 rbis last year, while only getting paid a little over 3 mil. If he could put up those numbers in Cincy he would be a perfect fit in my opinion. I think he would be a solid 6 hitter or if he actually keeps those numbers up would be a solid 3-5 guy.[/quote]

Nady hit two homers in the game I saw at Old Yankee Stadium. I'd like him, too, now that Juan Rivera is out of the picture. They have a bit of a logjam in that lineup. Nick Swisher is the other one who could be an odd man out who would be a good fit here.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='735320' date='Dec 28 2008, 03:44 AM']Nady hit two homers in the game I saw at Old Yankee Stadium. I'd like him, too, now that Juan Rivera is out of the picture. They have a bit of a logjam in that lineup. Nick Swisher is the other one who could be an odd man out who would be a good fit here.[/quote]

Didnt they just trade for swisher this offseason though?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='735325' date='Dec 28 2008, 03:40 AM']Didnt they just trade for swisher this offseason though?[/quote]

Yes, they did acquire Swisher earlier in the offseason. I'm on board with trading for Nady. He would be a perfect fit for exactly the reasons you pointed out.

C Hernandez
1B Votto
2B Phillips
SS Gonzalez
3B Encarnacion
RF Bruce
CF Taveras
LF Nady

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='735534' date='Dec 28 2008, 03:43 PM']Yes, they did acquire Swisher earlier in the offseason. I'm on board with trading for Nady. He would be a perfect fit for exactly the reasons you pointed out.

C Hernandez
1B Votto
2B Phillips
SS Gonzalez
3B Encarnacion
RF Bruce
CF Taveras
LF Nady[/quote]

I really like that team if we can pull that trade off, and we would still be pretty young and built for the future, but also able to compete this year in my opinion.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='735697' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:51 PM']I really like that team if we can pull that trade off, and we would still be pretty young and built for the future, but also able to compete this year in my opinion.[/quote]

Taveras and Nady both have plenty of experience in the NL Central having played for the Astros and Pirates respectively. Hernandez might be the best hitting catcher we've had in a while. With only Bruce and Votto as lefties, we eliminate the biggest problem of the Griffey/Dunn era, namely severe struggles against left handed starters. I'd bat Bruce second and Votto fifth to make it harder to try and throw a lefty reliever against both guys. Improved defense from Gonzalez, Hernandez, and Taveras could make a big difference for the pitchers. The fifth spot in the rotation is still up for grabs, but almost all the other spots are probably accounted for. Weathers and Lincoln were re-signed along with Arthur Rhodes to shore up the bullpen. The Reds are still banking on a number of young pitchers but so are most small market teams. I think Harang and Cueto can both pitch much better than they showed last year.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm excited by this team's chances as is. Harang should be much better, hopefully Arroyo's second half of the season wasn't a fluke last year, we have Cueto and Volquez...and think of the speed on the basepaths with Hairston, Phillips and Taveras!

Also, we have Votto, Keppinger, Bruce...I'm starting to get my hopes up for this season!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='738337' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:46 AM']I'm excited by this team's chances as is. Harang should be much better, hopefully Arroyo's second half of the season wasn't a fluke last year, we have Cueto and Volquez...and think of the speed on the basepaths with Hairston, Phillips and Taveras!

Also, we have Votto, Keppinger, Bruce...I'm starting to get my hopes up for this season![/quote]

The question will be whether Hairston and Taveras can get on the basepaths in the first place. Hairston's line last year was definitely an outlier in his career; Taveras, on the other hand, saw a huge drop-off. The good thing about this team is that there are a number of breakout candidates - Cueto, Edwin (as usual), Bruce, etc. If several of these guys exceed expectations only slightly, the team will be a serious contender.

Im all for getting Nady he just hits and produces and is a pretty good fielder.
I think he would be an excellent addition and if we did get him I would be VERY EXCITED about our chances.
But if Harang has a year like last year then all bets are off and were looking at 3rd place at best.

[quote name='turningpoint' post='738669' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:35 PM']I'm confused why we signed Willy taveras when he's pretty muc the same thing as drew stubbs, why not just give drew stubbs a shot?[/quote]

how is he the same as drew stubbs? stubbs isnt going to be a leadoff hitter in the majors. he has some power. taveras is a singles hitter who aside from last year is a pretty good hitter. he should hit 285+ this year as long as he doesnt try to hit HRs. he can steal a ton of bases. stubbs isnt ready for the majors either.

• 2 weeks later...
On mlbtraderumors.com, they mention the possibility of Dan Uggla being traded.

If im walt jocketty im on the phone trying to work something out, hes the power hitting right handed hitter we need. He will hit 30 homers at least here, and it says he could play 3rd (currently plays 2nd).

I would take him and then either put him at 3rd and move EE to LF or trade him, or maybe even put Uggla at 2nd and phillips to SS. Im not sure what they would wanna do, but hes definitely a guy worth trying to get...hes also still in his 20s.

Imagine this lineup...

1. Taveras
2. Phillips?
3. Votto
4. Uggla
5. Bruce
6. EE
7. Hairston/Kepp/Gonzo
8. Hernandez

Not sure if thats how the lineup would look, but having Phillips, Votto, Bruce, and Ugglas bats somewhere in the 2-6 area would be solid, not to mention of EE finally shows his potential or Kepp or Hairston hit for a solid average again.

I dont know what it would take, but I would give up Bailey and Stubbs for him I think.

PS Hes under contract till 2011.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='741619' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:28 AM']gomes was signed for 700k, he gets a small raise if he makes the 25 man roster.

ive heard rumors that we are in talks with abreu and dunn for 1 year deals.[/quote]

I would rather have abreu, but honestly part of me wouldnt be that angry if we signed dunn. Everyone has been saying we need to get out of the dunn/junior era, and we have. We cant compete with both of them. But just having dunn wouldnt kill us. He will hit 40 homers (oddly on the nose every year) and close to 100 rbis. Yeah there are some things he doesnt do well, but it is tough to replicate that type of production. It wouldnt kill us for a year to keep him, continue to develop our younger players and hope that if a few have huge years then we can make the playoffs. If not, then keep developing, and hopefully sign or trade for the big right handed LF next season. Dunn in LF gives us a better chance at competing then Dickerson does in my opinion.

well so much for spending more money, we are apparently at the payroll limit that ownership has...

I still like the build of this team, i just dont think that its going to be able make the playoffs unless a lot of guys have huge years...I guess we'll see though, I think we are better then last years team.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='741727' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:46 PM']well so much for spending more money, we are apparently at the payroll limit that ownership has...

I still like the build of this team, i just dont think that its going to be able make the playoffs unless a lot of guys have huge years...I guess we'll see though, I think we are better then last years team.[/quote]

I think this team has the potential to be a playoff team. But for that to happen:

1. The alien that inhabited Aaron Harang's body last year needs to go away.
2. Edinson Volquez needs to pitch in 2009 like he did in 2008.
3. Johnny Cueto needs to have his breakout year.
4. Bronson needs to pitch the whole season like he did the second half of 2008.
5. One of the young pitchers (preferably Homer as I think he has the highest ceiling) needs to contribute every 5th day.
6. Bruce and Votto need to continue their development and not have sophomore slumps.
7. Encarnacion needs to cut down on the throwing errors and be more consistent at the plate.
8. Brandon needs to just be Brandon
9. Taveras needs to get back to playing like he did in 2007.
10. Either Keppinger or Gonzales needs to stay healthy and play well.
11. Cordero needs to be more consistent.

I think there is more than enough raw talent for this team to be very good. It just needs to show up consistently. I really don't think anyone needs to play above their head for this to be a good team, but they do have to put it together. It would be nice if at least one of the young guys had a "career year" though.

[quote name='Jason' post='741738' date='Jan 22 2009, 05:02 PM']I think this team has the potential to be a playoff team. But for that to happen:

1. The alien that inhabited Aaron Harang's body last year needs to go away.
2. Edinson Volquez needs to pitch in 2009 like he did in 2008.
3. Johnny Cueto needs to have his breakout year.
4. Bronson needs to pitch the whole season like he did the second half of 2008.
5. One of the young pitchers (preferably Homer as I think he has the highest ceiling) needs to contribute every 5th day.
6. Bruce and Votto need to continue their development and not have sophomore slumps.
7. Encarnacion needs to cut down on the throwing errors and be more consistent at the plate.
8. Brandon needs to just be Brandon
9. Taveras needs to get back to playing like he did in 2007.
10. Either Keppinger or Gonzales needs to stay healthy and play well.
11. Cordero needs to be more consistent.

I think there is more than enough raw talent for this team to be very good. It just needs to show up consistently. I really don't think anyone needs to play above their head for this to be a good team, but they do have to put it together. It would be nice if at least one of the young guys had a "career year" though.[/quote]

I mean you just said that basically every player needs to have a good year...the chances of that happening arent great. But I agree there is some raw talent, but they are young, they are probably still a year or so away. But I am always optimistic this time of year, so Im hoping for the playoffs too!

[b][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/01/22/manny_ramirez_forget_manny_ram.html"][color="#9c71ad"]No money, no more Reds moves[/color][/url][/b]
By [url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/01/22/manny_ramirez_forget_manny_ram.html#postcomment"][color="#0d5e96"]Hal McCoy [/color][/url]| Thursday, January 22, 2009, 12:25 PM

Manny Ramirez? Forget Manny Ramirez. The Cincinnati Reds can’t afford Manny Mota or Manny Trillo. They can’t afford Rafael Ramirez or Elizardo Ramirez.

That’s the disheartening explosion CEO Bob Castellini dropped on the media this morning before the annual Reds Media Caravan began it trek through five states.

There is no more money. The harsh economic times are smothering the Reds and there will be no more significant additions to the team this year.

Swell. Rush to purchase those tickets now. Send in those season ticket applications. Everybody wants to see a fifth-place team. Everybody wants to see a ninth straight losing season.

Castellini says the team hasn’t given up on this year, but they are building for the future. Same message, different voice. How long have Reds fans heard this? And how long is the future? 2015? 2020? 2035?

They say they haven’t given up on this year but what have they done to replace Adam Dunn’s 40 home runs, 100 RBIs, 100 walks and 100 runs scored? Not much.

They’ve added catcher Ramon Hernandez, outfielder Willy Taveras and relief pitcher Arthur Rhodes. And, oh yeah, don’t forget Jonny Gomes.

Who do you like in left field this year? Chris Dickerson? Jerry Hairston Jr? Gomes. Gomes hit .182 with eight homers and 21 RBIs in 77 games last year and was so bad the Tampa Bay Rays left him off their postseason roster. Compared to Gomes, Corey Patterson’s season in 2008 resembles an All-Star performance.

When Castellini took over the team before the 2006 season, he told the media he wanted to win and he wanted to return to the glory days of The Big Red Machine, “Heigh-yo, Silver, Away.”

Now he blames the media for spouting his philosophy.

“We want to win,” Castellini told the media Thursday. “That’s our message. I knew we couldn’t win right away. You want to, but it takes time. I said we want to win - not overnight. You guys took that out of context.”

Then why did he fire GM Dan O’Brien right away and why did he fire Wayne Krivsky so fast when Krivsky was successfully rebuilding the minor league teams. And why, when he fired Krivsky, did he say, “We just aren’t going to lose anymore.”

Wanting to win and doing something to make it happen are two different things. And if you are out of money, you do what the Reds have done. Not much of anything.

The payroll is close to $75 million, about what it was last year. And the vault is empty. The team is what it is - not every good. Another fifth place finish looms.

After eight years of losing, it seems more losing is assured as the Reds continue to put the ‘less’ in hopeless.

And fans are asked to remain patient for some distant future winner. With the economy in the cesspool, entertainment dollars will become scarce. All of you who can’t wait to get into Great American Ballpark this year raise your hands.

I can’t see you.

Walt Jocketty, installed as GM early last season to work the magic he worked in St. Louis, needs a bigger wand to handle this one and probably is wondering what he got himself into. But his upper lip remains stiff.

“I don’t think you can put a timetable on it,” he told the media Thursday. “It takes time to build a competitive organization - a consistently competitive organization. You can do some things for instant success. But you can’t sustain it. We want to build the organization to sustain success and be a club that’s in the hunt every year. We’re really trying to develop our younger players and utilize the talent we have in the organization.”

Those are fine words, but a little bit from the Land of Oz. An organization like the Reds can build a strong farm system and develop players. Then what happens? They keep those young players for three or fours years and just when they become solid stars, the Yankees or Red Sox or Mets or Dodgers take them away via free agenc or the Reds can’t afford to pay them and are forced to trade them (Adam Dunn).

Strap it on, Reds fan. Gonna be another lonnnnnnnnng year.

Disappointing; I would've thought that after getting rid of Dunn and Griffey's contracts, they would've been able to add significantly - roughly $20m. I guess I need to go back and see what happened to that money.

Also, I think the scenario Jason poses for the Reds to be playoff-bound would be more than enough for a division title. Think about the pitching alone: Harang returning to 'normal' (235 IP, 3.75 ERA) - Volquez pitching like last year (~3.20 ERA) - Arroyo pitches like 2nd half and Cueto breaks out (3.something ERA for both). It's hard to go wrong with 4 starters well below an ERA of 4.

I also think some of the benefits of going to a speed-based offense will be more consistency. Speed never slumps, and manufacturing runs will at least spare the aggravation of waiting for longballs to score any runs.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='741835' date='Jan 23 2009, 03:10 AM']Disappointing; I would've thought that after getting rid of Dunn and Griffey's contracts, they would've been able to add significantly - roughly $20m. I guess I need to go back and see what happened to that money.

Also, I think the scenario Jason poses for the Reds to be playoff-bound would be more than enough for a division title. Think about the pitching alone: Harang returning to 'normal' (235 IP, 3.75 ERA) - Volquez pitching like last year (~3.20 ERA) - Arroyo pitches like 2nd half and Cueto breaks out (3.something ERA for both). It's hard to go wrong with 4 starters well below an ERA of 4.

I also think some of the benefits of going to a speed-based offense will be more consistency. Speed never slumps, and manufacturing runs will at least spare the aggravation of waiting for longballs to score any runs.[/quote]

From what I've heard, Hernandez, Rhodes, and Taveras will eat up around $9-10 million combined for 2009. Hernandez has a base salary of $8 million, but I'm pretty sure that Baltimore gave the Reds some cash in the trade. Rhodes' deal was 2 years and $4 million. Taveras has a base salary of $2.25 million in 2009.

The rest of the money probably went towards Arroyo and Harang. Arroyo's salary increases from $3.95 million in 2008 to $9.5 million in 2009. Harang's salary increases from $6.75 million to $11 million.

Archived