Starting lineup for 2009?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='736672' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:28 AM']Yeah im sure carson saw all the best doctors in the country, and just decided not to have surgery for no reason...he doesnt need surgery and will be fine in a few weeks. His elbow will be a non issue by the draft.[/quote]

Some of those best doctors told him he needed surgery.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='736728' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:18 AM']and more told him he didn't. Have you not been following along?[/quote]

I am not saying he needs surgery. I am saying to dismiss the idea that he might need surgery when atleast one doctor told him he would seems a bit foolish. He may still need surgery.

[quote name='FulcherVulcher33' post='736761' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:44 PM']I see no one has Marvin White at saftey? Wasnt he a stud when he played? I didnt get to see many games he played in and then he got hurt before I got out, so I didnt see him much[/quote]

I think Crocker and Ndukwe plays a lot smarter than White, and both are more of the "playmaker" type safety. Yes he (White) can hit hard, but both Ndukwe and Crocker and tackle better, and play both the run and the pass better. But that's just my take on it. I would rather have Crocker/Ndukwe tandem.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='736697' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:37 PM']So you like the thought of an average to below average player being the center of our defense?[/quote]

If he is a better "team" defensive player, and fits into the scheme better especially with the youth the defense has right now. That veteran leadership is invaluable. He knows the defense inside and out knows the speed of the game, knows all the calls and audibles and knows our division opponents better. There is going to be a learning curve, which this team can ill afford to have next year, for any rookie coming in. It will take at least 4 or five games (if the rookie doesn't hold out).

Why replace right now, with the momentum the defense picked up at the end of the year, one of the most important parts of the defense, and the leader of the Defense with a rookie... I think it would be a step back. Now if you get a gifted MLB in the latter rounds and groom him for next year, cool... But not right now.

[quote name='cincity' post='736763' date='Dec 31 2008, 11:50 AM']I think Crocker and Ndukwe plays a lot smarter than White, and both are more of the "playmaker" type safety. Yes he (White) can hit hard, but both Ndukwe and Crocker and tackle better, and play both the run and the pass better. But that's just my take on it. I would rather have Crocker/Ndukwe tandem.[/quote]

Same here, Crocker + Duke make a nice safety tandem. What a luxury though having 3 good safety's. David Jones is turning out to be a nice player at corner too. If we get a couple of linebackers and a pass rusher, look out.

[quote name='FulcherVulcher33' post='736761' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:44 PM']I see no one has Marvin White at saftey? Wasnt he a stud when he played? I didnt get to see many games he played in and then he got hurt before I got out, so I didnt see him much[/quote]

no...

not at all...

[quote name='bubba' post='736770' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:04 PM']Same here, Crocker + Duke make a nice safety tandem. What a luxury though having 3 good safety's. David Jones is turning out to be a nice player at corner too. If we get a couple of linebackers and a pass rusher, look out.[/quote]

3 good safety's?

Who's this third you're talking about?

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='736697' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:37 PM']So you like the thought of an average to below average player being the center of our defense?[/quote]

I did just go on YouTube and looked at Rey's highlight reel, and Curry's highlight reel, and looking at them, it is kinda hard to pass on Rey M's talent... Dhani is nowhere near as explosive. I say toss up now. But Curry at the SAM is a nice addition too.

[quote name='SF2' post='736647' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:05 PM']Palmer will not be starting at QB at the beginning of the season. Better have a better backup than Fitz in camp.[/quote]

[quote name='SF2' post='736651' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:22 PM']Uhh he torn a tendon in his throwing elbow and didn't get it fixed? He saw way too many doctors trying to get the prognosis he wanted? Just a hunch.[/quote]

[quote]The word is Palmer's latest MRI shows he still needs no surgery and there are those that saw him every day that believe if the Bengals had a game this week he'd be able to play at a higher level than his last outing back on Oct. 5, when his 217-yard passing effort generated 22 points in the nine-point loss at Dallas.

The Bengals never scored more in a game the rest of the way.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7436"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7436[/url]

[quote name='globetrotter' post='736664' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:35 PM']sophomoric juvenile trash[/quote]

L-a-m-e

[quote name='cincity' post='736823' date='Dec 31 2008, 02:36 PM']I did just go on YouTube and looked at Rey's highlight reel, and Curry's highlight reel, and looking at them, it is kinda hard to pass on Rey M's talent... Dhani is nowhere near as explosive. I say toss up now. But Curry at the SAM is a nice addition too.[/quote]

the way I see it, taking Curry leaves you the option of moving Rivers into the middle and letting Brandon Johnson (who I expect to resign) start at WLB. Drafting Rey M doesn't give you that option as neither Rivers or Brandon J are ideal SLB's.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='736828' date='Dec 31 2008, 07:50 PM']the way I see it, taking Curry leaves you the option of moving Rivers into the middle and letting Brandon Johnson (who I expect to resign) start at WLB. Drafting Rey M doesn't give you that option as neither Rivers or Brandon J are ideal SLB's.[/quote]

Good thought. Has Rivers ever played Mike?

[quote name='cincity' post='736829' date='Dec 31 2008, 02:55 PM']Good thought. Has Rivers ever played Mike?[/quote]

I think he played a little in college. When he came out it was said he could play all 3 positions. While he has pretty good speed, his speed might be more suited for a MLB and he definately has the leadership skills to be the defensive leader. I think Brandon J has more than show that he can be a good starter in Zimmer's D and is really starting to blossom (he never had much playing time in Arizona). The coaching staff also seems to love him.

Testing. Testing. Is this thing on? :P

I am pretty sure Rivers played WLB at USC.

But, when he was drafted, it was stated that he could play all 3 positions.

Brooks and Jeanty were slated as the Middle and Strong starters.
After going through the OTAs and some of Camp, the Bengals put
Rivers at WLB, moved Brooks outside to SLB and put Dhani at MLB.
Brooks had never played any postion other than inside, and Dhani had
barely played a anything but outside. Dhani had started 8 games at WLB
and 1 at SLB in 2007. So like I said, I really can`t see them moving
Rivers now.

Mauluga will not be a Bengal. He is better suited for a 3-4 scheme and his complete lack of discipline on the field is very Ahmad Brooks like. He offers nothing as far as coverage goes and his attitude off the field is not good. He will also be nowhere near the best player available at 6.

Dhani Jones isn't a superstar, but he is exactly what Marvin covets. He is a leader on the field and in the locker room. He does his job and does it well, and will not be replaced anytime soon. I believe that when his contract expires Rivers will be his replacement.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='736835' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:34 PM']Testing. Testing. Is this thing on? :P

I am pretty sure Rivers played WLB at USC.

But, when he was drafted, it was stated that he could play all 3 positions.

Brooks and Jeanty were slated as the Middle and Strong starters.
After going through the OTAs and some of Camp, the Bengals put
Rivers at WLB, moved Brooks outside to SLB and put Dhani at MLB.
Brooks had never played any postion other than inside, and Dhani had
barely played a anything but outside. Dhani had started 8 games at WLB
and 1 at SLB in 2007. So like I said, I really can`t see them moving
Rivers now.[/quote]

its about where they fit best. Dhani doesn't have the speed to play outside anymore, which is why they moved him inside. He was also someone who could be a leader right away at Mike. Brooks, they didn't know what the hell to do with anymore. Rivers is more naturally a WLB yes, but is more than capable of playing the Mike. If the team had a capable WLB last year (they do now in Johnson), you very well may have seen Rivers in the middle this year instead of Dhani.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='736841' date='Dec 31 2008, 02:56 PM']its about where they fit best. Dhani doesn't have the speed to play outside anymore, which is why they moved him inside. He was also someone who could be a leader right away at Mike. Brooks, they didn't know what the hell to do with anymore. Rivers is more naturally a WLB yes, but is more than capable of playing the Mike. If the team had a capable WLB last year (they do now in Johnson), you very well may have seen Rivers in the middle this year instead of Dhani.[/quote]

I just don`t see it. I really don`t think they would have switched
so many other players around, just to put Rivers in a position.
And they had Johnson this past offseason when they were making
all those switches.

I think Rivers is more a WLB. It is what he played at USC. It is
what FitzGerald installed him at here. And I think the team needs
to draft a long term solution for that spot. Instead of trying to make
a player fit. We need stability there. Something we have never had.

I could be wrong though. But I just don`t think that is really the way to go.

cough *Brandon Spikes* cough

Archived