Hobson's Choice: Raid second tier

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='745013' date='Feb 6 2009, 08:39 PM']lol you're such an idiot it amazes me. I openly stated that Hobson didn't have the full inside scoop. You also seem to not understand the definition of the word "leaning".

It must be sad being you.[/quote]

have you ever heard what they say about someone who continually makes insults toward someone while trying to prove their point? time for a little self examination, here.

back on message.... those were YOUR words, YOUR quotation marks for emphasis, YOUR capitolization, and especially YOUR confusing mixed message that you threw into the middle of it. either you're responsible for what you post or you're not, but don't put it on me. who the fuck knows?

and presently, the only sad part of my life is some little troll who spends his life argueing with every post i make, whether that argument makes any fucking sense, or not ... even to the point where he goes out of his way to argue discussions not even remotely directed at him. rather than conducting himself in intelligent conversation, he makes the converse argument...if for no other obvious reason just for the sake of argument itself. it's rather comical when you think about it. i'd tell you to get a life, but i don't want to spoil something that seems to be such an integral part of your existence. so by all means, carry on.

(in my best obama, ed brushes the 1181 flakes off his shoulder, much like the annoying dander they amount to. this despite his infantile insults and angry protestations). :lol:

[quote name='bengaled' post='745053' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:55 PM']have you ever heard what they say about someone who continually makes insults toward someone while trying to prove their point? time for a little self examination, here.

back on message.... those were YOUR words, YOUR quotation marks for emphasis, YOUR capitolization, and especially YOUR confusing mixed message that you threw into the middle of it. either you're responsible for what you post or you're not, but don't put it on me. who the fuck knows?

and presently, the only sad part of my life is some little troll who spends his life argueing with every post i make, whether that argument makes any fucking sense, or not ... even to the point where he goes out of his way to argue discussions not even remotely directed at him. rather than conducting himself in intelligent conversation, he makes the converse argument...if for no other obvious reason just for the sake of argument itself. it's rather comical when you think about it. i'd tell you to get a life, but i don't want to spoil something that seems to be such an integral part of your existence. so by all means, carry on.

(in my best obama, ed brushes the 1181 flakes off his shoulder, much like the annoying dander they amount to. this despite his infantile insults and angry protestations). :lol:[/quote]

lol, now you're seeing imaginary quotes in my original post? My apologies if you construed: leaning = definately set in their decisions. I can't help your perception of reality, I can only try and help you correct it. It might do us all a favor if you stop continually inferring false information in people's posts, and then continue to bitch and complain even after your confusion has been clarified for you. Just a thought.

[quote name='bengaled' post='745003' date='Feb 6 2009, 07:50 PM']i'm not so sold on that idea, as we'd be talking a very high pick on that gamble. if we were a team that could afford to roll the dice, maybe i'd be moore on board, but we're not. it seems to me, teams wouldn't be demanding our staff to see what he could do as a TE (in the senior bowl) if they were THAT convinced he was a bona fide option as a pass rusher. obviously, there's some concern there, tho it does speak to the guy being a good athlete. again, that's just too much concern for me.[/quote]

Demanding? It was more like a favor to Barwin and the UC program to allow him to take snaps as a TE. Barwin was on the radio indicating that he was fortunate to have a relationship with Marvin's staff so they would let him do it, because he thought other staffs would not allow it.

Made the kid some money.

[quote name='bengaled' post='745008' date='Feb 6 2009, 07:12 PM']it's as much the lack of experience/playing time that concerns me, old. that along with a lesser conference where the competition is somewhat suspect TOGETHER adds to the concerns i have. god, we've really got to get this draft right. it's the wrong time for gambles, especially ones that are carrying a 2nd round grade at this time.

now watch him end up a perennial pro bowler! :lol:[/quote]

I don't know. Some coaches like a player that is a clean slate,
so they don't have bad habits and can learn to do things the
way they want them to be done. And Barwin has proven that
he is a quick learner.

The Bearcats are a BCS team. It is not like he played for a Division 2 team
like Simpson did. So I don't really get the "lesser Conference" comment.
And there is a reason Barwin is carrying a 2nd round grade, even though
he hasn't had a lot of experience. It is because he is a hell of an athlete,
and has a ton of upside. Like I said, I would love it if they found a way
to get him.

[quote name='TeeBengal' post='744870' date='Feb 6 2009, 01:22 PM']Jamie your right on. Same as it ever was. With Brown callin the shots, nothing changes....not even the Bengals piss poor record.[/quote]

Can we not give up on next season before the draft?

Kthx.

[quote name='scharm' post='745076' date='Feb 7 2009, 07:45 AM']Demanding? It was more like a favor to Barwin and the UC program to allow him to take snaps as a TE. Barwin was on the radio indicating that he was fortunate to have a relationship with Marvin's staff so they would let him do it, because he thought other staffs would not allow it.

Made the kid some money.[/quote]

i stand corrected.

in most cases, when a prospect attempts to show he's capable at multiple positions, there's a reason and usually that reason is there's a concern about his value at his primary position. that would make me hesitant to spend that high of pick on him. we'll see how it goes.

[quote name='bengaled' post='745222' date='Feb 8 2009, 03:07 PM']i stand corrected.

in most cases, when a prospect attempts to show he's capable at multiple positions, there's a reason and usually that reason is there's a concern about his value at his primary position. that would make me hesitant to spend that high of pick on him. we'll see how it goes.[/quote]

overall, i tend to agree with your position on Barwin he may be the next coming of kevin greene, but this team needs to take more known quantities and get away from "upside" guys in the first couple rounds. on the other hand, that is dangerous though because you risk drafting only mediocre players.

[quote name='scharm' post='745076' date='Feb 7 2009, 08:45 AM']Demanding? It was more like a favor to Barwin and the UC program to allow him to take snaps as a TE. Barwin was on the radio indicating that he was fortunate to have a relationship with Marvin's staff so they would let him do it, because he thought other staffs would not allow it.

Made the kid some money.[/quote]

Guys, Barwin went as a TE to the senior bowl. Marvin allowed him to play some DE, not the other way around.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/19/seniorbowlroster/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...ster/index.html[/url]

As much as I like the "Mike Vrabel-ness" that Barwin brings to the table, he is rather unproven as a DE/OLB. Most of his sacks came against lesser competition within the Big East, and he only played against 1 or 2 NFL prospect OTs.

He could end up another Vrabel. But this team cannot afford another Reinard Wilson.

And true, all draft picks are gambles to one extent or another, but I would rather spend a pick as high as Barwin will go on someone who has at least done it consistently for a longer time than Barwin has.

I'd take him at 4 in a heartbeat. I might go as high as 3 if we get our center in 2. But unless they fix the O-line in free agency, there is just no way they can gamble pick #38 on Barwin.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='745431' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:26 PM']Guys, Barwin went as a TE to the senior bowl. Marvin allowed him to play some DE, not the other way around.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/19/seniorbowlroster/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...ster/index.html[/url][/quote]

Either way, he came as a boy and left as a man.

[quote name='scharm' post='745504' date='Feb 9 2009, 09:22 PM']Either way, he came as a boy and left as a man.[/quote]

Sharm, you are right, the kid did make some money that week. My post was more for the guys that were acting like he was playing out of position at TE, because he wasn't that good. He was a good TE, and became a Good DE his senior year. I personally would love to see hom on the team, however, I think our needs are going to be different in the first two rounds and I expect him to be gone before we pick in the third.

[quote name='kennethmw' post='745431' date='Feb 9 2009, 04:26 PM']Guys, Barwin went as a TE to the senior bowl. Marvin allowed him to play some DE, not the other way around.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/19/seniorbowlroster/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...ster/index.html[/url][/quote]

And NFL Draft Countdown lists him as the 8th Best DE, right behind Paul Kruger.
[url="http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/de.php"]http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/de.php[/url]

[quote name='TheLightWithin' post='745617' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:55 AM']And NFL Draft Countdown lists him as the 8th Best DE, right behind Paul Kruger.
[url="http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/de.php"]http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/de.php[/url][/quote]
but aren't you discounting the fact that he's a hometown hero? surely that counts for something.

Archived