Edge cut from Cardinals

It's funny how every time a person that is cut (who has a big name), his name comes up into signing on to this team. Not complaining or anything, but it amuses me a little bit.

I think about it too... but then I realize I'm just being unrealistic.

[quote name='Tigris' post='771356' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:23 PM']It's funny how every time a person that is cut (who has a big name), his name comes up into signing on to this team. Not complaining or anything, but it amuses me a little bit.[/quote]

Same here.

The team must be really confident with Cedric Benson, despite what all the doubts that the so-called "professional" sports casters have about Benson and only signing Benson to 1 year deal.

If the team decided to go with Benson over Shaun Alexander (and Alexander's local ties = jersey sales), I can't see them going with Edge now.

Unless some other surprising cuts happen, I can't see the team going after any free agents, with the exception of a verteran center getting cut or maybe Roy Williams (Safety) because of his ties to Zimmer.

[quote name='Captain Awesome' post='771406' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:52 PM']The team must be really confident with Cedric Benson, despite what all the doubts that the so-called "professional" sports casters have about Benson and only signing Benson to 1 year deal.

If the team decided to go with Benson over Shaun Alexander (and Alexander's local ties = jersey sales), I can't see them going with Edge now.

Unless some other surprising cuts happen, I can't see the team going after any free agents, with the exception of a verteran center getting cut or maybe Roy Williams (Safety) because of his ties to Zimmer.[/quote]
I thought we signed Benson to a 2 year deal?

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='771474' date='Apr 28 2009, 11:52 PM']I don't know folks, if you can get him signed for a training camp competition, I think you bring him in.

He has very good hands, and it's obvious he can still carry the load as a feature back.

Those two and Scott would make a very good backfield. Two durable, versatile backs.[/quote]

is it his 133 carries and 500 yards that makes you think he can still carry the load? ^_^

he has never averaged even 4 yards per carry since the second he left Indy's offense.

he, in indy, is what rudi was here, a solid product of the other offensive weapons..

rudi was money for 1300 yards and 12 td's... cause the attention was on carson and chad and tj and co..

he had 16 TD's in 3 years with the cards and had 33 the previous 3 years with the colts.....

he has TJ syndrome.. he thinks too highly of himself and doesnt really he was a great fit more than a great player.

he brings nothing to the table here, in my opinion.

Those sir, are stats.

If you look at him against last year's playoff defenses, he was pretty damn effective. Playoff rushing is hard fought.

You can still put him in there for 25 carries, and if everybody else does their job, he's gonna pull about a hundred.

Indy didn't send him a superbowl ring just to be cute. It's because he is/was a good rusher and receiver.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='771498' date='Apr 29 2009, 04:54 AM']Those sir, are stats.

If you look at him against last year's playoff defenses, he was pretty damn effective. Playoff rushing is hard fought.

[b]You can still put him in there for 25 carries, and if everybody else does their job, he's gonna pull about a hundred.[/b]

Indy didn't send him a superbowl ring just to be cute. It's because he is/was a good rusher and receiver.[/quote]

We already have at least one back on our roster that can already do that. It all comes down to our OL as Benson will get yards if has room as he showed at the end of last year. Edge would only eat up a spot for a younger player like Johnson or Scott neither of whom would be wise to cut with Benson being on only a two year deal.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='771498' date='Apr 29 2009, 04:54 AM']Those sir, are stats.

You can still put him in there for 25 carries, and if everybody else does their job, he's gonna pull about a hundred.

Indy didn't send him a superbowl ring just to be cute. It's because he is/was a good rusher and receiver.[/quote]

any back in the league, if everyone does their job, will get 100 yards on 25 carries..

and he was well rested in the playoffs, from you know.. rushing 1/3 as much as every other back in the league...

he is ok.. but he is older and slower and really bring nothing new to the table.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='771686' date='Apr 29 2009, 02:40 PM']any back in the league, if everyone does their job, will get 100 yards on 25 carries..

and he was well rested in the playoffs, from you know.. rushing 1/3 as much as every other back in the league...

he is ok.. but he is older and slower and really bring nothing new to the table.[/quote]

He was only rested because he wasn't made the starter. And not every back can get his 100. Plus, this guy catches.

He's experienced, he hasn't slowed, he's got hands, he's a winner, and he can carry the load.

These aren't things you can say about DeDe or Johnson.

The point is depth. Think playoffs. DeDe is going to be hurt by week 12 if we use him extensively. We need a guy who can handle the pressure in week 18 and give us some yardage while Palmer slices them up through the air. That is, if Benson isn't around.

I'm thinking back about it, and I'm usually pretty solid on running backs. I guess we'll see.

Archived