Kornheiser out on MNF

I agree that I will be able to possibly turn the sound back-up on MNF. TK was obviously the reason for the mute button, to bad, I really like what Jaws brings to the booth.

To me it seemed like TK had written a column for the game, and then read from it as the game was being played.

MNF still needs to get rid of, as someone already mentioned, the celebrity guest. Plus all the half screen shots so that they can have some interview.

Monday Night Football just needs to get back to the basics and not try to recreate the hey day ratings and attention it had prior to Sunday ticket, sports center and all the other ways to follow other NFL teams.

Make the game the focal point and try not to make it something that it isn't. Stick with divisional games, traditional rivals and try to get playoff rematches.

I'm on the same boat as a lot of people in that I like TK on PTI, but was annoyed at his commentating. However i am not exactly thrilled about Gruden. He did alright at the draft. I'm wondering how much influence the fact that he was jerking off to our picks factors in. His knowledge of the game should help the broadcast out overall.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='777083' date='May 19 2009, 03:49 AM'][b]Now if they could just get Mike Tirico off the broadcast, we might have something. [/b] I like Jaws and I think Gruden will do well, even if he's back coaching in a year or two. Who knows, if Marvin finally bites the bullet I'd take Gruden in a heartbeat.

I like Kornheiser on PTI. I think it hurt him on MNF because he always wound up focusing too much on whatever big national (East Coast) story was on PTI and Sportscenter that given day or week. It was painful to listen in particular if one of the NFC East teams was playing.[/quote]
+10000000000000000

I can't stand him. He should stick to announcing golf.

Agreed on Korn as well. I enjoy PTI. Just could not stand him in the booth. At least they chose him over Rush Limpdick though! Remember, he too was a finalist for that gig! :russian:

[quote name='Tigris' post='777265' date='May 19 2009, 08:07 AM']Am I the only person who doesn't get bothered by any of the announcing? Bernie Kosar is awful, but it doesn't bother me while watching the game. I just laugh at the ridiculous things he says.[/quote]

I don't either, but when I find myself asking myself during the broadcast "What the fuck is this guy talking about and why?" That's when I realize they suck ass.

There's been very few. Korn, Beasley Reese, and Gumble were just beyond belief of horrible. It was almost like a joke the NFL decided to play on fans.

[quote name='Tigris' post='777265' date='May 19 2009, 08:07 AM']Am I the only person who doesn't get bothered by any of the announcing? Bernie Kosar is awful, but it doesn't bother me while watching the game. I just laugh at the ridiculous things he says.[/quote]

I almost pity the Browns fans who have to listen to Bernie Kosar announce.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='777112' date='May 18 2009, 04:28 PM']The only thing worse than Tirico on MNF is Tirico on the radio.

It's not that he's annoying or sucks generally, but he adds nothing at all. Al Michaels adds something to his games. Even the brothers Gumbel are entertaining compared to Tirico, IMO.[/quote]

I disagree. Not that Tirico is very neutral in his MNF broadcast, but that he should be adding something to the games. Tirico is there to do play by play. The other guys are there to add the color... If it was a two man team, I could understand the argument for more pizzaz from Tirico. However, trying to have three personalities "enhancing" the broadcast would be entirely too chaotic for me.

BTW: I'd prefer a two man team. I'd also prefer they keep guests out of the booth unless the game is an absolute blowout.

[quote name='jza10304' post='777206' date='May 18 2009, 07:42 PM']I'm on the same boat as a lot of people in that I like TK on PTI, but was annoyed at his commentating. However i am not exactly thrilled about Gruden. He did alright at the draft. I'm wondering how much influence the fact that he was jerking off to our picks factors in. His knowledge of the game should help the broadcast out overall.[/quote]

Actually I liked his comments on Denver more than his comments on us. And he was pretty funny mocking his QB problems too.

A problem announcers get into often is a tendency to make their opinion known on things that are not game related, but being wishy washy on acutal game related events. So they don't say that the QB made a bad decision when he forces the ball into triple coverage, but they will tell you on and on about the color of the uniforms or whether teams should move to LA or bench players.

To be good, it should be the other way around. Forget the 'human interest' crap -- tell me if the play was a bad choice or if someone blew the coverage. I used to call them "Trumphy-isms". Bob Trumphy used to be good for comments like - "That pass should never have been thrown".

[quote name='mongo' post='777274' date='May 19 2009, 09:05 AM']I disagree. Not that Tirico is very neutral in his MNF broadcast, but that he should be adding something to the games. Tirico is there to do play by play. The other guys are there to add the color... If it was a two man team, I could understand the argument for more pizzaz from Tirico. However, trying to have three personalities "enhancing" the broadcast would be entirely too chaotic for me.

BTW: I'd prefer a two man team. I'd also prefer they keep guests out of the booth unless the game is an absolute blowout.[/quote]

Tirico isn't even a good play by play commentator, IMO. I'd almost rather listen to Don Criqui than Tirico just because you never know what kind of weirdness might come out of Criqui's mouth. I'm not asking for pizzaz, just something that brings entertainment value to the broadcast (good or bad). Even Kornheiser and Dennis Miller had this element going for them. With Tirico, you know you're in for a night of bland nothingness. He really adds close to nothing to the broadcast.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='777401' date='May 19 2009, 03:52 PM']Tirico isn't even a good play by play commentator, IMO. I'd almost rather listen to Don Criqui than Tirico just because you never know what kind of weirdness might come out of Criqui's mouth. I'm not asking for pizzaz, just something that brings entertainment value to the broadcast (good or bad). Even Kornheiser and Dennis Miller had this element going for them. With Tirico, you know you're in for a night of bland nothingness. He really adds close to nothing to the broadcast.[/quote]

I guess this becomes one man trash then. I tend to prefer a play by play guy who doesn't try to add to the game, particularly in a three man booth with two color analysts. I think this is also the intention of the network. I think the network feels they have a good running game and defense with the other two personalities, and want Tirico at QB to manage the clock. In that regard, I think he's fine.

It's the same gig he plays on the radio, and I'm okay with that too. Let Van Pelt be a little excitable, and have Tirico be... not Jim Rome. Tirico doesn't stun anyone with awesomeness, he also doesn't tend to tick people off.

Tirico should stick with golf & tennis. I feel that his voice & temperament are more suited to that pace of sport. He's the oposite extreme of Rome. Where Rome tries way too hard to come across as hip (because, IMO, he's trying to fit in with the athletes... it just comes off as awkward) & above people, Tirico is too nerdy & unbelievably over the top romantic. Listening to Tirico just makes me bored & disinterested. I think it's his voice or something?

Also, someone brought up VanPelt. Is the Tirico & VanPelt show the biggest kiss ass, lame idea generating, boring couple of hours in sports radio history or what? Every time they're on when I flip to ESPN Radio I make a disgusted "Aw, what the fuck!?" face before I switch it to something else more interesting. I would rather listen to people call in to Clark Howard than hear these two couple of turbo geeks drool over each other while discussing the nuances of the hole in David Ortiz's swing.

[quote name='Palmer9' post='777414' date='May 19 2009, 05:12 PM']Also, someone brought up VanPelt. Is the Tirico & VanPelt show the biggest kiss ass, lame idea generating, boring couple of hours in sports radio history or what? Every time they're on when I flip to ESPN Radio I make a disgusted "Aw, what the fuck!?" face before I switch it to something else more interesting. I would rather listen to people call in to Clark Howard than hear these two couple of turbo geeks drool over each other while discussing the nuances of the hole in David Ortiz's swing.[/quote]

heh. It's far from my favorite radio program, but I prefer them to Rome. :)

[quote name='Palmer9' post='777414' date='May 20 2009, 05:12 AM']Tirico should stick with golf & tennis. I feel that his voice & temperament are more suited to that pace of sport. He's the oposite extreme of Rome. Where Rome tries way too hard to come across as hip (because, IMO, he's trying to fit in with the athletes... it just comes off as awkward) & above people, Tirico is too nerdy & unbelievably over the top romantic. Listening to Tirico just makes me bored & disinterested. I think it's his voice or something?

Also, someone brought up VanPelt. Is the Tirico & VanPelt show the biggest kiss ass, lame idea generating, boring couple of hours in sports radio history or what? Every time they're on when I flip to ESPN Radio I make a disgusted "Aw, what the fuck!?" face before I switch it to something else more interesting. I would rather listen to people call in to Clark Howard than hear these two couple of turbo geeks drool over each other while discussing the nuances of the hole in David Ortiz's swing.[/quote]
Yup, Part of it is Tirico's voice. When he gets excited, it's like the stuffy version of an imaginary DJ named Jack Cheese. Not as over the top, but still so obnoxious that it makes my head want to explode.

I've mentioned this before, but I actually stopped watching the Thursday night NCAA games on ESPN when they brought him into the booth with Herbstreit and Corso. He absolutely ruined the best duo in the booth.

The problem with having commentators who aren't football guys, is that you have to prompt them. You have to give them a TON of material to prepare them for the game. And then the whole thing ends up sounding rehearsed. Like the guys in the booth are trying desperately to fit in every little tidbit of info that they'd learned in preparation for that week's game, at every opportunity. Kornheiser was the worst at this, but Tirico is not too far behind. There is no flow. It sounds like there's a football game going on during a bad talk show.

Hopefully Jaws and Gruden can carry his sorry ass this year, and make the games bearable.

Jim Rhome is terrible......all that shit about how they want you to talk on the radio...fuck them....he's kind of dorky anymore too....
those two idiots on FOX ...some greek guy that screams all the time......like to eliminate them as well..
Ben Maller was horrible.....most stations went to Bob and Tom on his time slot...

JT the Brick is a pompous little prick but still has to be rated as one of the best and that in itself lets you know how far sports talk has declined.....

John Fricke and Chris Myers havent been infected by the younger execs yet.......they still deliver good material .

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='777486' date='May 20 2009, 01:07 PM']Jim Rhome is terrible......all that shit about how they want you to talk on the radio...fuck them....he's kind of dorky anymore too....
those two idiots on FOX ...some greek guy that screams all the time......like to eliminate them as well..
[b]Ben Maller[/b] was horrible.....most stations went to Bob and Tom on his time slot...

JT the Brick is a pompous little prick but still has to be rated as one of the best and that in itself lets you know how far sports talk has declined.....

John Fricke and Chris Myers havent been infected by the younger execs yet.......they still deliver good material .[/quote]
Aha! I was trying to remember that name. I never heard the guy on the radio, but he used to have a great website with sports rumors and such. Kinda what I imagine PFT would be like without the anti-Bengals / pro-Stooler bias, and if it covered more than just football.

Haven't been there in years, but fwiw, here's the link: [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors"]http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors[/url]

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='777487' date='May 20 2009, 12:10 AM']Aha! I was trying to remember that name. I never heard the guy on the radio, but he used to have a great website with sports rumors and such. Kinda what I imagine PFT would be like without the anti-Bengals / pro-Stooler bias, and if it covered more than just football.

Haven't been there in years, but fwiw, here's the link: [url="http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors"]http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors[/url][/quote]

He may indeed have a good website but he was the one of the worst hosts Fox has had... constantly complaining about every aspect of sports and he let
Karen K kind of run him in the ground and take over.....she was a snotty bitch as well. these mofos actually think their opinion means a great deal......

Archived