Lock up Chris Henry

Not lock up in jail. B)

He is going to have a huge year and i highly doubt chad is going to be here after this season. We need to try and lock him up now before he becomes very expensive after this season. It seems he has matured and he is no longer a troubled child and he is someone who we can rely on now. Sign him to a long term deal.

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='779795' date='Jun 1 2009, 06:54 PM']Not lock up in jail. B)

He is going to have a huge year and i highly doubt chad is going to be here after this season. We need to try and lock him up now before he becomes very expensive after this season. It seems he has matured and he is no longer a troubled child and he is someone who we can rely on now. Sign him to a long term deal.[/quote]
He hasn't proven shit on the field recently, and despite many here that claim he's the next Randy Moss waiting to happen, I don't think the Bengals front office need to do anything until he becomes more productive on the field. He's still under contract for this season, and even if he has a MONSTER year (which I hope he does), I'd think that many teams would shy away from giving him a long-term contract based solely on the fact that he's a strike away from NFL banishment.

The Bengals will likely resign him, IMO, if he produces like we think he can.

Chris Henry the next Randy Moss? Please..

Randy Moss is the next Chris Henry B) :ninja:

Slims set for a big year..but your right. Don't give the kid cash until he shows he deserves it on the field. He will have his paycheck soon..

Thats what im afraid of. I think he is going to have a big year. After this year he will be able to get 6-7 Mil a season when we could probably lock him up no for 5 years 21 mil. Of course that all depends on what he does this season. I just really think he is going to be a beast and a potential #1 reciever after this year.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='779796' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:58 PM']He hasn't proven shit on the field recently, and despite many here that claim he's the next Randy Moss waiting to happen, I don't think the Bengals front office need to do anything until he becomes more productive on the field. He's still under contract for this season, and even if he has a MONSTER year (which I hope he does), I'd think that many teams would shy away from giving him a long-term contract based solely on the fact that he's a strike away from NFL banishment.

The Bengals will likely resign him, IMO, if he produces like we think he can.[/quote]

yea, thats good business... wait till they have HUGE years THEN try to re-sign them...

Hmm.... Interesting.

If I were the GM I would wait until training camp then try a long term deal given everything is a go and the media reports are accurate. But the one caveat is I would have an iron clad contract in terms of guaranteed money being returned or in this case not even paid if Henry is suspended again. Henry is a unique case and it will be difficult for him to get upfront money in bonuses. But if you could guarantee it to him while paying it out over the contract years and make sure either the contract or the CBA allows this to be voided given any further misconduct then everyone wins. Especially since Henry is likely gone from the NFL IF convicted of another crime.

But I think the current CBA governs this in a way where it is not so "iron clad"...... Like eliminating the Pickens Clause.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='779823' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:27 PM']Hmm.... Interesting.

If I were the GM I would wait until training camp then try a long term deal given everything is a go and the media reports are accurate. But the one caveat is I would have an iron clad contract in terms of guaranteed money being returned or in this case not even paid if Henry is suspended again. Henry is a unique case and it will be difficult for him to get upfront money in bonuses. But if you could guarantee it to him while paying it out over the contract years and make sure either the contract or the CBA allows this to be voided given any further misconduct then everyone wins. Especially since Henry is likely gone from the NFL IF convicted of another crime.

But I think the current CBA governs this in a way where it is not so "iron clad"...... Like eliminating the Pickens Clause.[/quote]
Maybe have him get nice roster bonuses every season, instead of a huge signing bonus? So if he's off the team, he loses the bonus?

I think that would work :unsure:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='779803' date='Jun 1 2009, 09:06 PM']yea, thats good business... wait till they have HUGE years THEN try to re-sign them...[/quote]
Maybe we could give him a Willie Anderson or Levi Jones extension on good faith...since he's such a proven commodity.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='779829' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:41 PM']Maybe have him get nice roster bonuses every season, instead of a huge signing bonus? So if he's off the team, he loses the bonus?

I think that would work :unsure:[/quote]

I was thinking along those lines as well. But also thinking if it were a bidding war it might come down to guaranteed money. So how can you guarantee and protect yourself as an owner given the current CBA.... which btw is basically up after this year? Now the current CBA says a player must pay back a prorated portion of the bonus if suspended for more than a half of a season - I think. But as a owner you still forked over all the dollars and are looking at litigation. And bottomline cashflow. Perhaps approach Henry with your idea. See if he bites. If not, I say wait.

Fuck.... I dont know!

If Henry doesn't have a monster season like we've been predicting since 2005, then whom exactly is going to get into a bidding war with the Bengals over his services? Especially given his "one suspension away from no more NFL" status?

[quote name='Phatcat' post='779823' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:27 PM']Hmm.... Interesting.

But I think the current CBA governs this in a way where it is not so "iron clad"...... Like eliminating the Pickens Clause.[/quote]

Couldn't they just pay a "completion" bonus for finishing the contract? Obviously Henry and his reps would be hesitant to agree to a structure like that since he'd be worried about injury or getting cut right at the end of the deal. Annual roster bonuses are the simplest way to keep him on the straight and narrow.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='779834' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:55 PM']Maybe we could give him a Willie Anderson or Levi Jones extension on good faith...since he's such a proven commodity.[/quote]

i think you proved MY point? you can extend "good ol boys" all fucking day and get fucked... extending henry now wont yeild a contract big enough to matter if he is cut ANYTIME...

4 years 22 mil 6 mil guaranteed. even if he screws up and is gone next offseason we take a 4.5 mil hit... (we just took 5.2 on levi for worst case scenario example)...

a guy whos only downside is getting in legal troubles over 2 years ago ..whos upside is a physical freak in nature, constantly getting fluffed by his QB, and called "uncoverable" by former defensive teammates... led the team in TD's as a #3 behind two pro bowl wr's...seems to be a no brainer..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='779803' date='Jun 1 2009, 10:06 PM']yea, thats good business... wait till they have HUGE years THEN try to re-sign them...[/quote]

So good business involves extending your often troubled WR who has not shown much on the field recently to a long term deal because he is tall and fast.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='779845' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:46 PM']So good business involves extending your often troubled WR who has not shown much on the field recently to a long term deal because he is tall and fast.[/quote]

often troubled? when? 2 years ago? have you been cleaning your garage THAT long?

hasnt shown much on the field eh?....

randy moss hadnt shown shit on the field in oakland,.. but was gobbled up by the patriots.. those idiots..

unless your blind or a fool you can see what the guy can do. his own qb whos normally quiet and to the point and politically correct goes on 2 minute fluff sessions over the guy.

give me a break... why would ex teammates go out of thier way to call him uncoverable?

i guess your vast football knowledge comes from all that garage cleaning... do you see the future your the oil spots on your concrete floor?

I know i saw him flat run by DB's last year with a shit line and fitzpatrick at qb.... i know the last remotely ful lyear here with a real healthy qb.. he led the team in TD's as a #3. he's a redzone nightmare for DB's and fast as hell..

he has no physical downside.. his only downside is missing a bunch of time due to off field issues all occuring 2 years ago.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='779846' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:53 PM']often troubled? when? 2 years ago? have you been cleaning your garage THAT long?

hasnt shown much on the field eh?....

randy moss hadnt shown shit on the field in oakland,.. but was gobbled up by the patriots.. those idiots..

unless your blind or a fool you can see what the guy can do. his own qb whos normally quiet and to the point and politically correct goes on 2 minute fluff sessions over the guy.

give me a break... why would ex teammates go out of thier way to call him uncoverable?

i guess your vast football knowledge comes from all that garage cleaning... do you see the future your the oil spots on your concrete floor?

I know i saw him flat run by DB's last year with a shit line and fitzpatrick at qb.... i know the last remotely ful lyear here with a real healthy qb.. he led the team in TD's as a #3. he's a redzone nightmare for DB's and fast as hell..

he has no physical downside.. his only downside is missing a bunch of time due to off field issues all occuring 2 years ago.[/quote]
I suppose you're right, in a way. Sign him to a contract (since the NFL can cut your ass at any time without suffering guaranteed contracts like the MLB does) and if he continues to be a non-factor, then cut his ass.

I don't care about his off-field shit except how it could affect his availability on the field, especially if he has a breakout year like we hope.

I just don't see a huge contract given everything with Henry, no matter ow long ago.

But then maybe it's how you say: sign him to something quasi-big, and cut him if he doesn't produce by year's end. We have so many WR's trying for jobs right now it's crazy.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='779849' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:16 AM']I suppose you're right, in a way. Sign him to a contract (since the NFL can cut your ass at any time without suffering guaranteed contracts like the MLB does) and if he continues to be a non-factor, then cut his ass.

I don't care about his off-field shit except how it could affect his availability on the field, especially if he has a breakout year like we hope.

I just don't see a huge contract given everything with Henry, no matter ow long ago.

But then maybe it's how you say: sign him to something quasi-big, and cut him if he doesn't produce by year's end. We have so many WR's trying for jobs right now it's crazy.[/quote]

we have seen a small glimpse of productivity from Caldwell, havent been able to see simpson yet, and seen Henry be a badass in several games and have a great partial year. when given the time to get in sync...

coles should be good.. we have a few good proven WR's and a stockpile of talent and potential... we wont know a ton about simpson until 2010 probably.. unless there is an injury..

Henry hasn't played a full season yet in his 4 year career. To compare him to Moss, who was the best WR in the league right away is crazy.

Chris is a boom or bust kind of guy, so no matter what you do, it is risky. If he signs a decently large deal, and 5 million is pretty much considering Chad has 2 more years at 7 per and Coles just signed for 3 or 4 years at 6 million, that is a lot of money for 3 different WRs. On the other hand, if you wait and he has a monster year, you would be looking at giving him a lot more.

Personally, I think the Bengals have a really good team this year and I want to win now. In my opinion, Henry is likely to be most productive when playing for a new contract, so I'd let him play out his current deal. If he blows up, it will likely take a good amount to sign him, but the Bengals could use the franchise tag, or if there is no salary cap as is looking likely, he would be a restricted free agent and no one could sign him without giving up a 1st and 3rd round draft pick.

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='779795' date='Jun 1 2009, 08:54 PM']Not lock up in jail. B)

[b]He is going to have a huge year[/b] and i highly doubt chad is going to be here after this season. We need to try and lock him up now before he becomes very expensive after this season. It seems he has matured and he is no longer a troubled child and he is someone who we can rely on now. Sign him to a long term deal.[/quote]

Interesting, care to tell me the score week one versus the Broncos as well? The max I would sign Henry to in the off-season is a three year contract. He's going to be the third receiver on this team so he obviously isn't going to put up substantial numbers, and his checkered pass already scratches half the league off the list of "potential suitors." If anything, Henry is going to get a Bryant Johnson type contract from someone. One to two years and "we'll see what you can do."

[quote name='BengalBrandon' post='779902' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:53 AM']Interesting, care to tell me the score week one versus the Broncos as well? The max I would sign Henry to in the off-season is a three year contract. He's going to be the third receiver on this team so he obviously isn't going to put up substantial numbers, and his checkered pass already scratches half the league off the list of "potential suitors." If anything, Henry is going to get a Bryant Johnson type contract from someone. One to two years and "we'll see what you can do."[/quote]

Bengals 31
Broncos 13

Ok If Chad or Coles get banged up what # reciever is he?

Do we run 3 WR sets?

What if Henry puts up 75 catches 1,200 yds as a #1 #2 or #3 reciever?

Wes Welker has been the # 3 on the patriots ....was he able to put up "substantial" numbers?

He hasnt been in any kind of trouble in 2 years he'll have plenty of "potential suitors."

I would love to see Henry have a break out year and earn a big contract from the Bengals.

But right now, I would have Hall and Joseph ahead of Henry on my list of guys we need to sign. Even though I don't think either of them is on the last year of their contract.

You guys are insane. You want us to give a long term deal to a guy who has been suspended [b]EVERY SINGLE SEASON[/b] of his 4 year career?!?!

I don't care what teammates say about him. The fact is that over the last two seasons (20 games) he only has 40 receptions and 4 tds. That is not very impressive for someone called "uncoverable".

And comparing him to Randy Moss is retarded. Moss's rookie season he started for a team that had two pro bowl WRs (Jake Reed and Cris Carter) and scored 17 tds. His average season over his first four years looked like this 77 rec, 1349 yds, 17.5 avg, and 13 tds. Slims average over his first four years are 27 rec, 398 yds, 14.9 avg, 5tds.

[quote name='BengalBrandon' post='779902' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:53 AM']Interesting, care to tell me the score week one versus the Broncos as well? The max I would sign Henry to in the off-season is a three year contract. He's going to be the third receiver on this team so he obviously isn't going to put up substantial numbers, and his checkered pass already scratches half the league off the list of "potential suitors." If anything, Henry is going to get a Bryant Johnson type contract from someone. One to two years and "we'll see what you can do."[/quote]

he led the team in touchdowns as a #3 only playing in 13 games a few years back with a healthy palmer..

and chad and coles could both very easily be gone next year.

PS: the broncos game score will be 31-17

[quote name='GoBengals' post='779912' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:11 PM']he led the team in touchdowns as a #3 only playing in 13 games a few years back with a healthy palmer..[/quote]

And Pacman Jones led the entire NFL in punt return TDs the same year ('06).

Archived