Goodbye, Riley Dog

Bunghole

By the time we got back to where Riley was laying down and stubbornly refusing to budge, he was gone. This is the same dog that wouldn't get up for a piece of delicious ham! He is fucking GONE!

I just got done searching the woods with my bud Ian (Eagle Scout) for about a mile in either direction, drove over to the adjacent street, talked to some neighbors about him...he's just...gone.

Jesus.

This is a weird, never-ending saga. I hope he turns up soon. He doesn't have a fucking collar on, because I took his invisible fence collar off of him while I was staying with him in the woods. We were planning on just carrying him back into my yard...but he wasn't supposed to have the kind of energy necessary to run away!

I guess we'll make up some "lost dog" fliers with his picture on it, maybe some neighbor will find him and have pity on him. He's awfully muddy, though, and since he's a Boxer without a collar, people will be unlikely to approach him.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='785149' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:39 PM']This is a weird, never-ending saga. I hope he turns up soon. He doesn't have a fucking collar on, because I took his invisible fence collar off of him while I was staying with him in the woods. We were planning on just carrying him back into my yard...but he wasn't supposed to have the kind of energy necessary to run away!

I guess we'll make up some "lost dog" fliers with his picture on it, maybe some neighbor will find him and have pity on him. He's awfully muddy, though, and since he's a Boxer without a collar, people will be unlikely to approach him.[/quote]

Prayers and well wishes Bung...

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' date='19 July 2009 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1248031949' post='785710']
Wow you've been through the ringer with him. Has he come back or been found?
[/quote]
Unfortunately, no. If someone hasn't taken him in, I fear the worst for him. I don't think he's in a right enough state of mind to forage for himself, if he is in fact still in the woods. I don't know where he is, and it makes me really depressed to keep thinking about it. It's colored my whole week with negative vibes.

The worst part for me is that it's my fault he got out and away from me. I'm carrying around a lot of deserved guilt.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='19 July 2009 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1248034535' post='785714']
Unfortunately, no. If someone hasn't taken him in, I fear the worst for him. I don't think he's in a right enough state of mind to forage for himself, if he is in fact still in the woods. I don't know where he is, and it makes me really depressed to keep thinking about it. It's colored my whole week with negative vibes.

The worst part for me is that it's my fault he got out and away from me. I'm carrying around a lot of deserved guilt.
[/quote]

Been thinking a lot about this, Bung, and truth be told, animals know when it's their time. There's a really good chance that he waited until you left to slink off into the woods to die alone. I had a similar situation with my first cat, whom I rescued from the pound and nursed back to health; she was the closest thing to a kid we ever had. When the time came she turned her back to me and crawled away. It's crushing, but that seems to be their way...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='19 July 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1248055938' post='785736']
Been thinking a lot about this, Bung, and truth be told, animals know when it's their time. There's a really good chance that he waited until you left to slink off into the woods to die alone. I had a similar situation with my first cat, whom I rescued from the pound and nursed back to health; she was the closest thing to a kid we ever had. When the time came she turned her back to me and crawled away. It's crushing, but that seems to be their way...
[/quote]

That's true, I had a similar thing happen with a cat.

Don't blame yourself Bung. You WERE trying your best to help him.

But did his time have to come at one year old?

You know what makes me angry? That our vet didn't give me some of those disposable rectal valium syringes after our FIRST vet visit when she prescribed the phenobarb as a precaution. NONE of this would have happened if I could have administered one of those to Riley the Monday he was having all those seizures.

Instead, she gave us two of them after we brought him back the second time (Monday evening). AFAICT, he didn't have any more seizures after that, it was me letting him out of my supervision for a moment so I could scrounge up the hose and some shit-cleaning materiel while he made his way into the creekbed the second time.

Sorry this whole situation had to happen. Once you are far enough along in the grieving process, if you got Riley from a breeder (which as a pure bred I am assuming you did), if the breeder does not already know about this you should contact them and let them know. I don't know if epilepsy is genetic in boxers (it is suspected to be genetic in some other breeds) but if I were a reputable breeder, I would not breed that bitch and stud again if I knew they produced an epileptic pup.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='20 July 2009 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1248121339' post='785785']
But did his time have to come at one year old?

You know what makes me angry? That our vet didn't give me some of those disposable rectal valium syringes after our FIRST vet visit when she prescribed the phenobarb as a precaution. NONE of this would have happened if I could have administered one of those to Riley the Monday he was having all those seizures.

Instead, she gave us two of them after we brought him back the second time (Monday evening). AFAICT, he didn't have any more seizures after that, it was me letting him out of my supervision for a moment so I could scrounge up the hose and some shit-cleaning materiel while he made his way into the creekbed the second time.
[/quote]

Does it really matter how old they are?

It still sucks balls...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='19 July 2009 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1248055938' post='785736']
[/quote]

This

Archived