Goodbye, Riley Dog

Bunghole

I appreciate the sentiment, I (we) are hoping for something like this, but he's still just laying there...and we are going to have to go to bed soon, leaving him alone. And we will both have to work tomorrow, also leaving him alone some more.

The only upside is my wife can check in with him during her lunchbreak since she works ten minutes from home.

Remember...he hasn't gotten to his feet in almost 48 hours.
He hasn't raised his head since about 12:30pm yesterday.
He is SERIOUSLY drugged up right now.
He had two small seizures at the vet's today before given further sedation.

My analysis: being realistic, it doesn't look good. We are going to try to give him a few days to recover, along with some new (read:stronger) drugs, so...we'll see.

I am less hopeful now than I was 12 hours ago. He isn't moving at all. You can barely see the rise and fall of his stomach area to indicate that he's even breathing.

I am so sad that it's turned out this way. I almost feel like I should have gone on ahead and told the vet to terminate his life. I am just not holding out much hope that he'll have a normal life again. Dammit.

Just plain fucking sucks. :(

I don't think you should feel badly for wanting to give him one last chance to pull through, though. If he's up and about tomorrow, you'll be more than glad that you did. And if not, at least you can be content knowing that you did everything you could for him.

That's about as good as it gets my friend. Hope it turns out for the best.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='784356' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:59 PM']Just plain fucking sucks. :(

I don't think you should feel badly for wanting to give him one last chance to pull through, though. If he's up and about tomorrow, you'll be more than glad that you did. And if not, at least you can be content knowing that you did everything you could for him.

That's about as good as it gets my friend. Hope it turns out for the best.[/quote]
While I agree totally (and it is obviously the reason Riley is even here), I am very worried about our absence in the coming days due to work. If the vet's presupposition about it being "helpful if he's in a familiar scenario" is true, then us closing him up in a dark room in our house while we are away may fly in the face of that, imo.

We can't put him in his usual crate while we are away now. What if he up and starts walking around? He can't do that in his crate. He'll NEED to be able to do that.

But what if he goes into major seizures, again? We'll have a poop and piss covered dog that may need to be put down anyway. I am pretty tired of cleaning up after him, to be honest...and that has nothing do do with me wanting him or not, but having an indigent, incontinent dog in your house with barefoot boys running around is no place to be, either.

Fuck. Wake up, Riley!

Yikes. At least you have a plan in place for his treatment and prospective recovery - if he isn't back in 3 days, it's just his time. I would imagine the ambiguity of his condition, unclear whether anything can be done or not, is very taxing, especially when the decisions must be made regardless of how opaque they are. At the very least, it seems you have already made the difficult decisions and given him all the care to have the best odds possible, and now it's out of your hands.

I have a few positive vibes, and I will send them the dog's way under one condition: that, should he recover without further incident, I will be granted the right of first refusal on the sale of at least one of your surplus tubes of rectally-administered valium. Do we have an accord?

I own a cat with epilepsy, and a friend of mine has a pit/boxer with it (it was VERY bad). Both our animals had huge problems with it in their youth.. But seemed to grow out of it as they got older.

My friend had his pit/boxer on a medication, and even had to change the meds at some point because the original prescription stopped working. Now, his dog isn't on medication anymore, and neither of our animals has had a seizure is quite some time.

Keep positive man...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='784287' date='Jul 8 2009, 04:43 PM']Thanks man, and...where the hell have you been?[/quote]

I've been around, just hanging out quietly as my life has been in a state of tumultuous changes since March...

Going through a divorce, the death of a very close friend, health problems of my own, and such.

Other than that, I'm doing great!

:cry:

Seriously though, keep the faith and pray... or whatever you call on for a higher power. I believe dogs have souls too.

Stupid to some, but only to those I generally don't give a shit for anyway.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='784479' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:37 PM']I've been around, just hanging out quietly as my life has been in a state of tumultuous changes since March...

Going through a divorce, the death of a very close friend, health problems of my own, and such.

Other than that, I'm doing great!

:cry:

Seriously though, keep the faith and pray... or whatever you call on for a higher power. [b]I believe dogs have souls too[/b].

Stupid to some, but only to those I generally don't give a shit for anyway.[/quote]

I think so too... But then again, I think the soul is the "life" in "living".

[quote name='Lucid' post='784571' date='Jul 9 2009, 06:37 PM']Any new word Bung?[/quote]
Well, I am happy to say that we brought him upstairs from the spare bedroom (he was ah, kinda covered in his own mess, so lots of anti-bacterial soap and a couple rolls of paper towels later...) and he responded quite well (and more lucidly) to getting some food and water.

I gave him the flashlight test and he followed the light with his head and eyes, so I know he isn't at least totally blind. So that's good.

Then, he got up on his own several times. Granted, he would wind up bashing into the wall after taking 4 or 5 steps, or he would walk over to the tiled area by the front door where no dog can gain purchase and fall down. I would just keep dragging him gently back into the middle of the living room.

But [i]just now[/i] he got up and meandered a good 15 or so steps into our kitchen, where again, he got himself into a corner and kinda toppled over. This is all without the help of a sling or anything.

It's encouraging. He is still laying there and appears tired from his efforts. Hopefully this progression will continue! Yay for Riley! Score one for the good guys!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='784701' date='Jul 10 2009, 08:34 PM']Well, I am happy to say that we brought him upstairs from the spare bedroom (he was ah, kinda covered in his own mess, so lots of anti-bacterial soap and a couple rolls of paper towels later...) and he responded quite well (and more lucidly) to getting some food and water.

I gave him the flashlight test and he followed the light with his head and eyes, so I know he isn't at least totally blind. So that's good.

Then, he got up on his own several times. Granted, he would wind up bashing into the wall after taking 4 or 5 steps, or he would walk over to the tiled area by the front door where no dog can gain purchase and fall down. I would just keep dragging him gently back into the middle of the living room.

But [i]just now[/i] he got up and meandered a good 15 or so steps into our kitchen, where again, he got himself into a corner and kinda toppled over. This is all without the help of a sling or anything.

It's encouraging. He is still laying there and appears tired from his efforts. Hopefully this progression will continue! Yay for Riley! Score one for the good guys![/quote]

Sweet...

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='784383' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:35 AM']Yikes. At least you have a plan in place for his treatment and prospective recovery - if he isn't back in 3 days, it's just his time. I would imagine the ambiguity of his condition, unclear whether anything can be done or not, is very taxing, especially when the decisions must be made regardless of how opaque they are. At the very least, it seems you have already made the difficult decisions and given him all the care to have the best odds possible, and now it's out of your hands.

I have a few positive vibes, and I will send them the dog's way under one condition: that, should he recover without further incident, I will be granted the right of first refusal on the sale of at least one of your surplus tubes of rectally-administered valium. Do we have an accord?[/quote]
Too soon.

Glad to hear things got better for him Bung.

I had a dog for 18 years and she died on me in May.
So I know it can be tough.

I got another dog now, a Chocolate Lab, Springer Spaniel mix. (The twins named him Hershey)
He is only 3 months old. (I got him a month ago). And I swear
he gets bigger everytime I look at him. So I quit looking at him . . .

Anyway, I hope he continues to get better.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='785094' date='Jul 14 2009, 10:53 AM']Glad to hear things got better for him Bung.

I had a dog for 18 years and she died on me in May.
So I know it can be tough.

I got another dog now, a Chocolate Lab, Springer Spaniel mix. (The twins named him Hershey)
He is only 3 months old. (I got him a month ago). And I swear
he gets bigger everytime I look at him. So I quit looking at him . . .

Anyway, I hope he continues to get better.[/quote]
Thanks man. He's kind of hit a wall. Yeah, he can eat, drink and get to his feet on his own. He can also walk. But he's so slow and clumsy. He still doesn't respond to his name, and he can't really be let outside unless he's leashed. He's going to the bathroom all over the floor in our carpeted spare bedroom but we don't have anyplace else to keep him where he won't hurt himself or damage something valuable of ours.

I spoke to my neighbor this morning, she's a neurologist. She actually really likes my dog, and told me she'd often come into my yard and talk to him when she saw he was out (I had no idea she did this). She asked where he'd been lately and I told her the spiel. She said that it may take a long time for him to recover and relearn his ways, especially since his medication dosage has been doubled.

She said to not give up yet...so I won't, but Riley's behavior certainly leaves a lot to be desired. How long is long enough? How long is too long? Oy.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='785099' date='Jul 14 2009, 11:27 AM']Thanks man. He's kind of hit a wall. Yeah, he can eat, drink and get to his feet on his own. He can also walk. But he's so slow and clumsy. He still doesn't respond to his name, and he can't really be let outside unless he's leashed. He's going to the bathroom all over the floor in our carpeted spare bedroom but we don't have anyplace else to keep him where he won't hurt himself or damage something valuable of ours.

I spoke to my neighbor this morning, she's a neurologist. She actually really likes my dog, and told me she'd often come into my yard and talk to him when she saw he was out (I had no idea she did this). She asked where he'd been lately and I told her the spiel. She said that it may take a long time for him to recover and relearn his ways, especially since his medication dosage has been doubled.

She said to not give up yet...so I won't, but Riley's behavior certainly leaves a lot to be desired. How long is long enough? How long is too long? Oy.[/quote]

I wish I had some magic words for you bro... it would be easy for me to sit here and say "that's no kind of life, you should put him down, blah blah". But the fact is, I couldn't do it either, if there was a sliver of chance. Get a second opinion from a vet if it will help you, but i know that shit gets expensive real quick.

Very sorry to hear what you guys are going through.

Yay! A breakthrough! My wife just called and said that while home on her lunchbreak that she heard Riley whining at the downstairs door (which he hasn't done since we got him back from the vet). She went to go pet him and whatnot, and she cleaned him up so he could come out, and he bounded right up the stairs and started playing with my other dog Macy!

He also was able to go outside today, played some more with Macy and then came in and ate like a starving dog (we had been limiting his food to reduce the amount of poop we'd have to keep cleaning up every day in the spare bedroom).

Now my wife just needs to get him into his crate before she leaves.

This is great news!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='785109' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:20 PM']Yay! A breakthrough! My wife just called and said that while home on her lunchbreak that she heard Riley whining at the downstairs door (which he hasn't done since we got him back from the vet). She went to go pet him and whatnot, and she cleaned him up so he could come out, and he bounded right up the stairs and started playing with my other dog Macy!

He also was able to go outside today, played some more with Macy and then came in and ate like a starving dog (we had been limiting his food to reduce the amount of poop we'd have to keep cleaning up every day in the spare bedroom).

This is great news![/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='785109' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:20 PM']Yay! A breakthrough! My wife just called and said that while home on her lunchbreak that she heard Riley whining at the downstairs door (which he hasn't done since we got him back from the vet). She went to go pet him and whatnot, and she cleaned him up so he could come out, and he bounded right up the stairs and started playing with my other dog Macy!

This is great news![/quote]
Great to hear, Bung.

And when I get home, he's covered in his feces, I put him outside for a moment so I can hose him off and whatnot, and he's now laying in the creekbed again in my woods, unable to get out himself, and I cannot carry him.

I've got one of my employees coming to help though.

Jesus I need this to end!

Archived