Early impressions about future needs

I have been impressed so far with the team overall. The talent and depth is better than any time in recent memory. Unlike most years, there are not any glaring needs. It is also a huge positive that nearly all of the best players on the team are tied up for a good number of years in the future. Off the top of my head, the only important player who needs to be extended is Chris Henry.

It is looking way ahead but I have been watching a lot of college football and looking forward to the draft, I think the Bengals are free to either (A.) just take best player available or (B.) take a "luxury" pick to try to improve the offense.

I guess what I mean by "luxury" is that the Bengals don't need a RB, but they may have the option of taking a super fast playmaker like Jahvid Best to bring that Chris Johnson type element to the offense as a #2 RB. They also don't have any huge needs at WR/TE, but they could take someone to give Carson even more weapons with either a TE (Gresham) or a WR (Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn).

I think they could also look at defense even though it looks really strong. Maybe a 3rd star LB to go with Rey and Keith. Or a 3rd really good CB to go with Joseph and Hall.

We need a LG right now, and this is also the last year of Bobbie's contract. So we will probably need 2 guards next year. The good thing about this is that you can usually get the best guard in the entire draft in the second round.

Plus a MLB.

Plus a third CB.

But if we get a shot to draft Safety Eric Berry we have to take him. He is the best college safety i have seen in years.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='21 September 2009 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1253561291' post='805979']
We need a RG right now, and this is also the last year of Bobbie's contract. So we will probably need 2 guards next year.

Plus a MLB.

Plus a third CB.

[b]But if we get a shot to draft Safety Eric Berry we have to take him.[/b] He is the best college safety i have seen in years.
[/quote]

Eric Berry is quite likely a top 10 pick. If he is on the board when we pick it won't be because our safeties suck. If we're in the top 10 then our O-line blew up and/or Carson got hurt, and we had best take an OT (and move Whit back to LG).

Now, if he falls for some non-arrest/drug related reasonand no obvious need has presented itself, I'd be all for it. I just don't see him there where I am hoping we will be picking.

Same goes for Taylor Mays. If we want a good safety at a reasonable range, Kurt Coleman in 2 or 3 would be fine.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='21 September 2009 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1253561291' post='805979']
We need a RG right now, and this is also the last year of Bobbie's contract. So we will probably need 2 guards next year. The good thing about this is that you can usually get the best guard in the entire draft in the second round.

Plus a MLB.

Plus a third CB.

But if we get a shot to draft Safety Eric Berry we have to take him. He is the best college safety i have seen in years.
[/quote]

No doubt about Berry. I think he is waaay better than Taylor Mays. Unfortunately, I think Berry is going to go top 5.

I do think guard is a big need, but like you said, you can address that a bit later as it is pretty rare for a guard to go first round.

I really think at this time, the Bengals are looking like they should be drafting somewhere in the last half of the first round. If so, I think their choice comes down to one of the top LBs or another offensive weapon. LB is probably more of a "need" than WR/RB/TE but I also think that if there is ever a time where we could afford to grab a potential star on offense, this is the year. The combo of depth on defense plus Zimmer's ability to find talented defenders outside of the first round means we could actually take a risk on a Chris Johnson type guy.

[quote name='Jason' date='21 September 2009 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1253561864' post='805984']
Eric Berry is quite likely a top 10 pick. If he is on the board when we pick it won't be because our safeties suck. If we're in the top 10 then our O-line blew up and/or Carson got hurt, and we had best take an OT (and move Whit back to LG).

Now, if he falls for some non-arrest/drug related reasonand no obvious need has presented itself, I'd be all for it. I just don't see him there where I am hoping we will be picking.

Same goes for Taylor Mays. If we want a good safety at a reasonable range, Kurt Coleman in 2 or 3 would be fine.
[/quote]

Kind of mentioned this earlier, but I am not impressed by Mays. I don't think he covers well enough to be a good safety in the NFL. If you have to move him to LB, wouldn't you rather have a guy like Spikes?

He may not fall all the way to the 4th round like Darnell Bing did, but that is who Mays reminds me of. Tons of hype because he played for USC and made big hits, but I'm not sure where he fits in in the NFL.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='21 September 2009 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1253561291' post='805979']
We need a RG right now, and this is also the last year of Bobbie's contract. So we will probably need 2 guards next year. The good thing about this is that you can usually get the best guard in the entire draft in the second round.

Plus a MLB.

Plus a third CB.

[/quote]

we can extend bobbie, and im sure he would like to stick around for a fair price.. hell even if we replace him i want to keep him around..

bobbie is a solid+ RG...

we need a LT... move whit back inside ...if there is no stud LT, another whitworth clone LG would be nice..

and a tackle of some sort would be nice..

Whitworth/Collins
LG/Mathis/livings
Cook/luigs
Bobbie/Shirley?/Draft Pick
Adnre/Collins/Rolland/Kooistra/Draft pick?

i like this better tho:

LT - Badass 1st round pick
LG - Whitworth
C - Cook
RG - Bobbie
RT - Andre

Gaither in that suplimental draft a few years back isnt sounding terrible right about now....

certainly need a CB to have JOJO/HALL/JONES/HIGH PICK would be great depth

and i think a mean ass MLB is a need..

i think we need 4 picks in the first 2-3 rounds to fix the holes and addd the depth we need.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='21 September 2009 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1253562438' post='805990']
we can extend bobbie, and im sure he would like to stick around for a fair price..
[/quote]

I love Bobbie, but Mike Brown got burned very, very badly by giving two older O-linemen (Willie, Levi) big contract extensions. That may have made him a little gun shy.

BTW it is also good that MLBs don't usually go very high. We should be able to get a very good one late in the first round. Or move Rey to MLB and draft another SAM.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='21 September 2009 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1253562675' post='805992']
I love Bobbie, but Mike Brown got burned very, very badly by giving two older O-linemen (Willie, Levi) big contract extensions. That may have made him a little gun shy.

BTW it is also good that MLBs don't usually go very high. We should be able to get a very good one late in the first round. Or move Rey to MLB and draft another SAM.
[/quote]

true, tho it wont take much to keep bobbie.. and bobbies antitude is teh anti=willie and anti-levi attitude...

hope he sticks around..

think the 49ers will trade willis straight up for ocho stinko?

[quote name='fredtoast' date='21 September 2009 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1253561291' post='805979']

Plus a MLB.

Plus a third CB.

[/quote]

I think it depends on what they want to do with Rey, if they keep him and SAM then yes MLB, if the move him then we need a SAM.

So LB, G (x2), and CB

Then Roy and Tank are both on 1 year deals, if we dont keep either (to save money for Joseph and Hall), well need depth at both positions.

So LB, G(x2), CB, DT, and S

I believe Jeanty is in his contract year so thats another LB

So LB(x2) G(x2), CB, DT, and S

And do we resign Shayne?

So LB(x2), G(x2), CB, DT, S, and K

If you are talking first round pick, you are looking at a place we could use a starter.

OL
S
LB
TE

You don't take a K first round, or a third corner. RB seems pretty well held for now with Benson and Scott so at the moment it seems a lesser need for round 1. WR seems pretty deep with Simpson ready in the wings if Coles or Chad falter.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='21 September 2009 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1253564036' post='806000']
RB Jahvid Best, California
TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
MLB Brandon Spikes, Florida
OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
[/quote]

Great list. Those are 4 of the guys who have impressed me the most and could potentially be available mid-late first round. Best because he is not an everydown back. Gresham because he is missing the season with injury. And the 2 LBs because that position usually slides a little bit in the draft.

D line isn't really a need, but it looks like a great d line draft and you can never have too much depth there because of how you rotate guys.

Plus a MLB.

Plus a third CB.

[/quote]

we need a RG right now? no we dont bobbie williams is a fucking beast. one of the most underrated lineman in the NFL.

This game is won in the trenches so you should ALWAYS be looking to improve these areas. Oline will still be the biggest need on this team. Front 7 on D.

Henry ---- hopefully the Bengals learn a lesson and stop giving flashers big money and grab substance. Protect the QB and you can win with average wide outs. Protect the QB and you can win w/Coles, Caldwell and Simpson should be ready to produce. Chad has appears to ahve learned his lession and now knows he must produce to get the new contract whether it be here or somewhere else. Henry still has done little so far except against 3-4th teamers in preseason.

We still need a #3 CB.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='21 September 2009 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1253571611' post='806047']
we need a RG right now? no we dont bobbie williams is a fucking beast. one of the most underrated lineman in the NFL.
[/quote]

Yes, you do. It has nothing to do with BW. It has everything to do with his position and his age. His replacement needs groomed.

I think the biggest question when deciding which LB to draft is where is Rey going to play in the future? Is he going to stay on the outside where he certainly has flourished early or is he going to move back inside to MLB like Zimmer said he would eventually before training camp?
The Bengals may end up taking an outside LB in the draft and moving Rey back inside.

[quote name='cwing' date='21 September 2009 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1253573294' post='806059']
Yes, you do. It has nothing to do with BW. It has everything to do with his position and his age. His replacement needs groomed.
[/quote]

2 things I take exception with.

1. Chris Henry must be resigned. Nope. We can let that dude walk pretty easily. Chris Henry has rare ability, but his production does not warrant a large contract. Eventually maybe, but he has not shown anything that would warrant a new hefty deal. 2 catches in 2 games. I think he will be restricted as well so he wont cost much.
2. Rey Mualaga will be the eventual MLB.

Needs by position.
QB Palmer 2014 O'Sullivan 2010 Palmer 2009

No need: Sullivan played well and Palmer seems decent.

RB Benson 2010 Scott 2012 Leonard 2009 Johnson 2009

Benson has been solid and is on pace for 1600 yards and 8 scores. That's a solid year. We dont know what we have in the other guys. I would say drafting a RB high does not make much sense. Benson signed a 2 year deal so maybe a complete back would make sense.

FB Johnson 2009 Pressley UDFA

No need

WR Johnson 2011 Cosby UDFA
WR Coles 2012 Caldwell 2011 Purify 2009
WR Henry 2009 Simpson 2011

Cosby, Simpson and Caldwell are nice developmental guys who have a niche now and could end up being even better.

TE Coats 2009 Coffman 2012 Foschi 2009 Hill UDFA Utecht 2010 Kelly 2009

In that mix there has got to be a starting TE. Reggie Kelly will easily be resigned and should be welcomed back with open arms at an inexpensive amount.

LT Whitworth 2013
LG Livings 2009 Mathis 2009 Shirley 2011
C Cook 2009 Luigs 2012
RG Williams 2009 Kooistra 2009 Santucci 2010
RT Collins 2011 Smith 2014 Roland 2009

I think this is our first need and it is at LG. We can win with another LG or a LT that allows Whit to move back.

K Graham 2009
P Huber 2012
LS St. Louis 2009

This is fine, althought there should be competition for the LS job.

LE Odom 2012 Fanene 2010
LT Johnson 2009 Sims 2011
RT Peko 2014 McDonald 2012
RE Geathers 2012 Johnson 2012 Rucker 2009

Solid Pass rush and no needs at DE. Will need another DT if Johnson leaves.

SLB Mualaga 2012 Jeanty 2009
MLB Jones 2010 Hodge 2009 Skula UDFA
WLB Rivers 2012 Johnson 2009

Jones is still solid at MLB and Mualaga is the heir. Jeanty is a decent SLB but we might have a need there.

S Williams 2009 Ndukwe 2010 Hebert 2009
S Crocker 2012 Nelson UDFA Lynch 2011

No need

CB Hall 2011 Jones 2009 Trent 2012
CB Joseph 2010 Pope 2009

Need a Nickel back,

Well,Happy, I guess if the topic is future needs, it's pretty clear that the Bengals have to start with signing the existing personnel that they want to keep. Finally,they've built some depth. They need to continue with that so that eventually they have depth at all positions. Right now they lack depth at OT,TE,OG's and CB's. The safeties are old by NFL standards . A LB would be nice to have . Build the D is my motto but we can't neglect the OL like in previous years. Keep looking for another DT AND DE. You can't have too many.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='21 September 2009 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1253562438' post='805990']
we can extend bobbie, and im sure he would like to stick around for a fair price.. hell even if we replace him i want to keep him around..

bobbie is a solid+ RG...

we need a LT... move whit back inside ...if there is no stud LT, another whitworth clone LG would be nice..

and a tackle of some sort would be nice..

Whitworth/Collins
LG/Mathis/livings
Cook/luigs
Bobbie/Shirley?/Draft Pick
Adnre/Collins/Rolland/Kooistra/Draft pick?

i like this better tho:

LT - Badass 1st round pick
LG - Whitworth
C - Cook
RG - Bobbie
RT - Andre

Gaither in that suplimental draft a few years back isnt sounding terrible right about now....

certainly need a CB to have JOJO/HALL/JONES/HIGH PICK would be great depth

and i think a mean ass MLB is a need..

i think we need 4 picks in the first 2-3 rounds to fix the holes and addd the depth we need.
[/quote]

We all have favorite Bengals . Bobbie is my favorite. Yeah,GO, Gaither was a great Raven pickup in the supplementary. The year before we took Ahmad Brooks in the third.Great pick :).I like your needs.

I disagree with the threadstarter's assessment.

While we may be deep...now. We have lots of needs.

G, TE, SLB, and RB.

Utecht and Reggie are going to be worthless by next year. At least having them back, I doubt, will progress the offense.

A mandate for a kickass offensive line creates need their.

Maualuga will (read: should) be the Mike next year, so progress would dictate we stick a future starter in the starting or 2 slot.

And RB, Benson is only on a 2 year, and RBs don't last.

Archived