Early impressions about future needs

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' date='21 September 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1253580317' post='806093']

And RB, Benson is only on a 2 year, and RBs don't last.
[/quote]

Benson's only 26. If we resign him this offseason to a 4 year deal we'd be reasonably sure he'd last, especially
if Scott develops and spells him.

On the other hand, given our luck with Chris Perry and Irons, I'd just as soon not draft a high round RB.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='21 September 2009 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1253582265' post='806098']
Benson's only 26. If we resign him this offseason to a 4 year deal we'd be reasonably sure he'd last, especially
if Scott develops and spells him.

On the other hand, given our luck with Chris Perry and Irons, I'd just as soon not draft a high round RB.
[/quote]

If we resign him, and given our luck with Chris Perry and Irons it creates a need.

For instance, will Bernard Scott last, being seemingly a bit of a water bug.

For how long is Leonard signed?

RB is performing, but that's different from being settled.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' date='21 September 2009 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1253584960' post='806100']
[b]If we resign him, and given our luck with Chris Perry and Irons it creates a need. [/b]

For instance, will Bernard Scott last, being seemingly a bit of a water bug.

For how long is Leonard signed?

RB is performing, but that's different from being settled.
[/quote]

so now we're just making up future injuries?

And Leonard is in his second year, so I'm guessing as a second round pick he has 2 more years left on his contract.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='21 September 2009 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1253571611' post='806047']
we need a RG right now? no we dont bobbie williams is a fucking beast. one of the most underrated lineman in the NFL.
[/quote]

and he is also playing in his contract year

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' date='21 September 2009 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1253580317' post='806093']
I disagree with the threadstarter's assessment.

While we may be deep...now. We have lots of needs.

G, TE, SLB, and RB.

Utecht and Reggie are going to be worthless by next year. At least having them back, I doubt, will progress the offense.

A mandate for a kickass offensive line creates need their.

Maualuga will (read: should) be the Mike next year, so progress would dictate we stick a future starter in the starting or 2 slot.

And RB, Benson is only on a 2 year, and RBs don't last.
[/quote]

Look, I don't want it to come off like I think the team is perfect. But, I look at the starting lineup and there aren't glaring holes like in years past. We don't have Anthony Schlegel, Ifeanye Ohalete, or Eric Ghiachuc starting for us.

[quote name='sois' date='22 September 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1253623974' post='806180']
With the 32nd pick of the first round, the Cincinnati Bengals select Brandon Carter, Left Tackle, Texas Tech

[img]http://www.lindyssports.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/0da73dfe37a4414.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
And let me guess.. this non-diva decides he should have been the top paid LT, and decides to sit out the season and enter the 2011 draft rather than play for the Bengals in 2010.

:ninja:

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='22 September 2009 - 07:05 AM' timestamp='1253624741' post='806182']
And let me guess.. this non-diva decides he should have been the top paid LT, and decides to sit out the season and enter the 2011 draft rather than play for the Bengals in 2010.

:ninja:
[/quote]

:)

He better not hire his cousin as his adviser.

But in all seriousness, he is a pass blocking machine. He only gave up one sack last season and we threw like 600 times.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='22 September 2009 - 07:10 AM' timestamp='1253625024' post='806185']
sois, his look aside, that guy's a head case waiting to happen.
[/quote]

I don't know what makes you say that, he really don't get into trouble. I guess Crabtree wasn't crazy in college either :(

Carter and Whit on the left side of the line = BONER

[quote name='sois' date='22 September 2009 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1253625395' post='806190']
I don't know what makes you say that, he really don't get into trouble. I guess Crabtree wasn't crazy in college either :(

[/quote]

unless I'm thinking of the wrong TT lineman with a mohawk and facepaint, I just remember him letting his emotions get the best of him a few times last year. Reminds me of Kyle Turley.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='21 September 2009 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1253571611' post='806047']
we need a RG right now? no we dont bobbie williams is a fucking beast. one of the most underrated lineman in the NFL.
[/quote]

That was a typo. I meant we need a LG right now. That is why after I mentioned Bobbie's contract situation I said we will need TWO guards next year.

I agree that Bobbie is a very underated anchor of our O-line. I'd love to re-sign him, but guards are too easy to get cheaply in the draft. Plus Mike really got burnt on those extensions he gave to Willie and Levi, so I am afraid Bobbie may be on his way out.

[quote]Take the best 3 down TE prospect in the 20s of the first round.[/quote]

That might be a real problem next year though. Gresham had knee surgery and is out for the year. Gronkowski had back surgery as well and is out for the season. Gresham is still expected come out though but most people expect Gronkowski to go back for his senior year now. The other tight-ends can probably be had in the 2nd round or later. Gresham could surprise people and go back though to try and improve his stock too.

I think they should look at some of the blocking tight-ends that can actually catch too. Guys like Hoomanawanui (Illinois), Pita (BYU), and Graham (Wisconsin). Those guys will probably go in the 2nd round at the earliest and probably the 3rd or 4th rounds when it's all said and done.

There are some other tightends to watch though. Maybe one of them can make a real push for the first round. Those guys would be Aaron Hernandez (Florida), Ed Dickson (Oregon), or possibly someone like Jimmy Graham (Miami) who was primarily a basketball player until this year.

Does this offense use a TE enough to justify a first round pick on one? With Chase who I feel will develop into a good WR and hopefully an adequate blocker, I would rather use a later round pick on a blocking TE and use the first round pick somewhere else. Not sure where yet, no glaring need has presented itself yet, it may just be BPA.

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1253634973' post='806240']
Does this offense use a TE enough to justify a first round pick on one? With Chase who I feel will develop into a good WR and hopefully an adequate blocker, I would rather use a later round pick on a blocking TE and use the first round pick somewhere else. Not sure where yet, no glaring need has presented itself yet, it may just be BPA.
[/quote]

Elite Pass Catching TE, no, can't justify that on current Bengal Trends
Elite Pass and Run Blocking TE we use all of the time. That's what Kelly has been for us.

So if we can replace him, or improve on him that could be worth a first rounder if we are picking suitably late in the round. We certainly have had problems in the past in finding a TE to draft.

But unless there's a great candidate, we might look elsewhere for an infusion of talent, like LB/OT/S first.

[quote name='sois' date='22 September 2009 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1253625395' post='806190']

[/quote]
I thought Carter was a guard? He was last year at least I believe. Either way there's NO WAY he will play left tackle in the NFL. Way too big, unathletic and slow. He's a mid round guard prospect in my opinion.

[quote name='fredtoast' date='22 September 2009 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1253633078' post='806227']
That was a typo. I meant we need a LG right now. That is why after I mentioned Bobbie's contract situation I said we will need TWO guards next year.

I agree that Bobbie is a very underated anchor of our O-line. I'd love to re-sign him, but guards are too easy to get cheaply in the draft. Plus Mike really got burnt on those extensions he gave to Willie and Levi, so I am afraid Bobbie may be on his way out.
[/quote]

Speaking of does anyone know when the dead money for willie and levi is cleared up?

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1253634973' post='806240']
[/quote]

I don't know, but my thinking is they need one and true 3 down TEs are rare. I think it will help them a ton to have a guy that can block like a small tackle and yet stay on the field on crucial 3rd downs.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='22 September 2009 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1253639660' post='806262']
Speaking of does anyone know when the dead money for willie and levi is cleared up?
[/quote]

Well, since next year is uncapped, if it's not already off the books, it is after this year.

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1253642542' post='806272']
Well, since next year is uncapped, if it's not already off the books, it is after this year.
[/quote]

God I hope they get this CBA taken care of so Dan Snyder doesnt go out an buy a good team.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='22 September 2009 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1253642870' post='806275']
God I hope they get this CBA taken care of so Dan Snyder doesnt go out an buy a good team.
[/quote]

Having to deal with the Yankees is bad enough. I'd hate to see a bidding war between Snyder and Jones.

Kraft ain't exactly broke either.

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1253643266' post='806278']
Having to deal with the Yankees is bad enough. I'd hate to see a bidding war between Snyder and Jones.

Kraft ain't exactly broke either.
[/quote]

The owners I think realize this, its a matter of the players union.

Archived