Bears game is HUGE

Ive been reading a lot of threads and thinking about the playoff picture and stuff and ive come to one realization.

The bears game is HUGE.

Win we are 5-2 at the bye with 2 tough division games followed by 3 very winnable games. Even if we lost to Baltimore and Pittsburgh and beat Oakland, Cleveland, and Detroit we are still 8-4 with games remaining against SD, Minn, KC, and NYJ. That means beat the chiefs and we have to split with SD and NYJ to get to 10 wins which should hopefully get us in the playoffs. Very do-able. Now if we beat the bears and win against either Balt or Pitt then we probably just have to take care of business against bad teams to get in.

Lose and we are 4-3. Then there is a chance you end up after the bye at 4-5 and have to win probably 6 of 7 to maybe get in if you lose to both baltimore and Pittsburgh. I think we could do it by beating everyone but Minnesota, but beating both Sd and NYJ in their places could be tough. If we lose to chicago and beat either baltimore or pittsburgh then we are back to the situation above where we have to beat either SD or NYJ.

Besides the record, a win going into a bye is always big in my opinion. This is the only game of the season where you cant go out the next week and make up for whatever happened last week, making a win so much more important so you arent sitting on a loss for 2 weeks. Also, going into a bye with 2 straight losses could hurt the morale of the team. 5-2 at the bye sounds so much better then 4-3.

Its hard to say that a week 7 games is a must win or the playoffs are on the line or anything, especially against an NFC team...but a win against the Bears this week would go a very long way towards making the playoffs.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='19 October 2009 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1255992640' post='818876']
Every game is huge. Ecspecially division games.

But personally, I refuse to talk about the "P" word until
the Bengals have at least 8 wins.

Although I did predict the "P" word back in the offseason.
[/quote]

If it was a division game it would be twice as huge.

But I think this game is very big do to the loss last week, the bye the week after this, and the schedule ahead.

Bear game is a big game this week.

They got smacked in the mouth vs. the Texans, how will they respond. I hope against hope that the focus for last week was quite off with all the tragedy around Zimmer.

The bears Dline is real solid and is the key to their D. Offense has to have a better performance in the run game this week as Benson is probably wanting to have a good game against the team that threw he to the curb. Only guarantee of this week is that Benson will be running hard and determined, hope the line can open some holes for him, they shut down Turner of the Falcons.

Bengal D has to wake up after the sleepwalk that was last week. I mean really. I'd expect to see quite a bit of play-action from the Bears.

A win goes a big way, a loss does not totally screw them but it's still a setback.

[quote name='scharm' date='19 October 2009 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1256003275' post='818910']
The Bears game is huge because I don't want to have to sit through the next 2 weeks with a loss on my mind.
[/quote]

or the chicken little rants that will go on here...

5-2 is a happy place.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 October 2009 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1256003333' post='818911']

5-2 is a happy place.
[/quote]

Yeah lose to the Bears and they'll be no better than the Cleveland Browns for two weeks. Despite prior to beating Baltimore the common thought by many that 5-4 would be a great spot to be in.

We've got to be the fastest fan base that goes from horrible expectations to GREAT expectation then back horrible.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 October 2009 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1256003333' post='818911']

5-2 is a happy place.
[/quote]
5-2 is indeed a happy place, but I will understand the ranting if we don't play well again. We've GOT to get some consistency going on offense. Killing our own drives has been our worst enemy all year so far. That's the amazing thing about our team to me right now. We move the ball almost at will, Palmer looks mostly sharp, and so do the WR's and Benson for the most part...yet we keep having to overcome a ridiculous amount of penalties, drops, fumbles and INT's. It's funny because it really isn't anything the opposing defenses are doing, it's just us doing it to ourselves.

Clean that shit up and we can make the playoffs. We can't keep having to overcome that hurdle every game, as the Texans game demonstrated.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='19 October 2009 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1256003925' post='818917']
5-2 is indeed a happy place, but I will understand the ranting if we don't play well again. We've GOT to get some consistency going on offense. Killing our own drives has been our worst enemy all year so far. That's the amazing thing about our team to me right now. We move the ball almost at will, Palmer looks mostly sharp, and so do the WR's and Benson for the most part...yet we keep having to overcome a ridiculous amount of penalties, drops, fumbles and INT's. It's funny because it really isn't anything the opposing defenses are doing, it's just us doing it to ourselves.

Clean that shit up and we can make the playoffs. We can't keep having to overcome that hurdle every game, as the Texans game demonstrated.
[/quote]

there are no surprises this year on offense, we knew what we were getting into with the line as soon as andre held out.. they have out performaed my expectations thus far, if we are 4-3, chances are, the vikings beat pitt and we are still in first place.. so the world wont end then either.. id guess more than 75% of the board picked us 4-3 or worse at the BYE before the year started..

4-3 puts us in a dangerous place, making us NEED the wins over the ravens and steelers after the bye week more desperately..

but we should ahve coffman getting worked in, maybe scott more, andre to help on the line, and so on.. with andre, coffman, scott, benson and the line, henry getting healthy, etc.. the offense can relaly only grow and get BETTER as the year goes on..

we are lucky the line formation tricks we have been using have worked this well... we need to be able to succeed without the monster line and extra blockers as well if we want to succeed much as far as the division and playoffs are concerned..

the penalties and sacks and stuff are a result of attempting to overcome a rather mediocre o-line.

the turnovers really MUST stop..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 October 2009 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1256004406' post='818918']
there are no surprises this year on offense, we knew what we were getting into with the line as soon as andre held out.. they have out performaed my expectations thus far, if we are 4-3, chances are, the vikings beat pitt and we are still in first place.. so the world wont end then either.. id guess more than 75% of the board picked us 4-3 or worse at the BYE before the year started..

4-3 puts us in a dangerous place, making us NEED the wins over the ravens and steelers after the bye week more desperately..

but we should ahve coffman getting worked in, maybe scott more, andre to help on the line, and so on.. with andre, coffman, scott, benson and the line, henry getting healthy, etc.. the offense can relaly only grow and get BETTER as the year goes on..

we are lucky the line formation tricks we have been using have worked this well... we need to be able to succeed without the monster line and extra blockers as well if we want to succeed much as far as the division and playoffs are concerned..

the penalties and sacks and stuff are a result of attempting to overcome a rather mediocre o-line.

the turnovers really MUST stop..
[/quote]
That's the weird thing. To me, we are protecting Palmer better than we could have hoped, and for the most part, Carson has performed pretty well. Not too many sacks so far.

But you're right, those turnovers are KILLING us, as are the drive-zapping penalties. And boy, we have run the gamut, haven't we? Delay of games, holding, false starts...Jesus. We have to do a better job of that. Again, we are beating ourselves. The Texans game WAS winnable. The offense just couldn't pick up the defense for once. Shit, we were leading at the half, and I felt pretty damn good about our chances at halftime, having just put up two quick scores...and then we went into our shell, like a turtle pulling it's head back into itself. How disappointing that was. The offense KNEW it had to pick up the defense after the injuries and the way the Texans were moving the ball...and we just couldn't execute.

Fuck that game pisses me off. It was RIGHT THERE for the taking, and we folded on offense.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='19 October 2009 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1256007229' post='818936']
That's the weird thing. To me, we are protecting Palmer better than we could have hoped, and for the most part, Carson has performed pretty well. Not too many sacks so far.

But you're right, those turnovers are KILLING us, as are the drive-zapping penalties. And boy, we have run the gamut, haven't we? Delay of games, holding, false starts...Jesus. We have to do a better job of that. Again, we are beating ourselves. The Texans game WAS winnable. The offense just couldn't pick up the defense for once. Shit, we were leading at the half, and I felt pretty damn good about our chances at halftime, having just put up two quick scores...and then we went into our shell, like a turtle pulling it's head back into itself. How disappointing that was. The offense KNEW it had to pick up the defense after the injuries and the way the Texans were moving the ball...and we just couldn't execute.

Fuck that game pisses me off. It was RIGHT THERE for the taking, and we folded on offense.
[/quote]

the "protection" of palmer isnt solely being done by the line, its being done by the scheme as well, more 3 step drops, more quick slants, and occasionally, with enough blockers (6 minimum) we are taking medium to long shots... we are slowly testing things in games, some work, some dont, and we were able to get the vertical game going some sunday, which is a good sign. but its not all pats on the ass for the front 5, we are planning for it from start to finish, if we can get to a point where 5 guys can give palmer 2 seconds in the pocket to throw, we are in heaven, and palmer can get back into a comfort zone..

quick drops and passes arent his strong suite, the long ball and stretching the field is his bread and butter. and that success in the long game opens up the medium and short game guys get a bigger buffer, and the throws are easier, etc.

the line, RB blocking, scheme, and gameplan is all equal in the success the offense shows at some points. but we cant open up with the guys we have up there... maybe andre will help,

its ideal to replace your worst guy with your new best guy, replacing a 5 skillset level with a 8-9 level.. which we may be doing on the right as of now.. but mathis/livings arent stars, they are serviceable guys.. depth guys..

replacing rolland or collins with andre is a big step up..

i think maybe we are waiting for that to try the coffman experiment in a live game....(unles that theory was forced in sooner after this weeks TE performances)

Palmer is still on track to be sacked the second most in his entire career...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='19 October 2009 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1256007971' post='818942']
the "protection" of palmer isnt solely being done by the line, its being done by the scheme as well, more 3 step drops, more quick slants, and occasionally, with enough blockers (6 minimum) we are taking medium to long shots... we are slowly testing things in games, some work, some dont, and we were able to get the vertical game going some sunday, which is a good sign. but its not all pats on the ass for the front 5, we are planning for it from start to finish, if we can get to a point where 5 guys can give palmer 2 seconds in the pocket to throw, we are in heaven, and palmer can get back into a comfort zone..

quick drops and passes arent his strong suite, the long ball and stretching the field is his bread and butter. and that success in the long game opens up the medium and short game guys get a bigger buffer, and the throws are easier, etc.

the line, RB blocking, scheme, and gameplan is all equal in the success the offense shows at some points. but we cant open up with the guys we have up there... maybe andre will help,

its ideal to replace your worst guy with your new best guy, replacing a 5 skillset level with a 8-9 level.. which we may be doing on the right as of now.. but mathis/livings arent stars, they are serviceable guys.. depth guys..

replacing rolland or collins with andre is a big step up..

i think maybe we are waiting for that to try the coffman experiment in a live game....(unles that theory was forced in sooner after this weeks TE performances)

Palmer is still on track to be sacked the second most in his entire career...
[/quote]
Aren't we averaging like 2-3 sacks per game MAX? That translates to about 48 sacks for the year...while it isn't great, it's not death-defying either.

I think our offensive miscues are way more detrimental than Carson Palmer.

Turnovers are killers, Penalties are killers. 3 and outs are the biggest problem, IMO. They get into a funk and string several 3 and outs in a row and just seem like they can't do anything. This is were I think we miss TJ alot. Probalbly missed Brian Leonard on Sunday in that regard. One our young players has to develop into a first down machine that help break that funk.

Scott, Leonard, Coffman, Caldwell, someone. It's hard to get everything going and get everyone involved when you line up 4 drives (which is about of quarter) when your only snapping the ball 12 times.

PFT

[quote]
Tinoisamoa might be done for the season
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 21, 2009 10:03 AM ET
The Chicago Bears might lose another starting linebacker for the season.

Pisa Tinoisamoa, who Lovie Smith brought over from the Rams, is trying to decide whether to undergo season-ending knee surgery. The Chicago Tribune reports that the strongside linebacker will get a second opinion after suffering "articulating cartilage damage" in his right knee during Chicago's loss to Atlanta.

The Bears can barely miss what they haven't had. Tinoisamoa has only played in two games; he ruptured his PCL in the same knee during the team's season opener.

Nick Roach has already replaced Brian Urlacher at middle linebacker, to mixed results. Jamar Williams replaced Tinoisamoa on Sunday, although Hunter Hillenmeyer could be in the mix when he recovers from a cracked rib.

To this point, the Bears defense has played improved football compared to 2008 despite the injuries.[/quote]

This week would be a great week to get the running game going and utilize someone like Chase Coffman. The Bears are really hurting at linebacker.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 October 2009 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1256134848' post='819282']
PFT

This week would be a great week to get the running game going and utilize someone like Chase Coffman. The Bears are really hurting at linebacker.
[/quote]

that's what we thought against Houston. Instead they stacked the box and pretty well shut down Benson. Still, we couldn't capitalize on that. If teams are geared to stop the run, we should be able to kill them through the air.

Does Chicago coming off a road, Sunday night loss to Atlanta give us any advantage? It's a bit of a short week for them and will make the second road game in a row for them, but they did have a bye before Atlanta.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='20 October 2009 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1256013714' post='818953']
Aren't we averaging like 2-3 sacks per game MAX? That translates to about 48 sacks for the year...while it isn't great, it's not death-defying either.

I think our offensive miscues are way more detrimental than Carson Palmer.
[/quote]

48 sacks is actually pretty terrible... only two TEAMS are averaging that for the year..

so hat many sacks would be the same as playing the sack leader for the entire league, every single week.

that, essentially makes us have a top 3 worst o-line in the entire league..

[quote name='mongo' date='21 October 2009 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1256159341' post='819379']
Does Chicago coming off a road, Sunday night loss to Atlanta give us any advantage? It's a bit of a short week for them and will make the second road game in a row for them, but they did have a bye before Atlanta.
[/quote]

it would be nicer if it were a west coast game on the road and a monday nighter... making them get home tuesday, either no days off or off wed work thurs fr and fly sat..etc..

no advantage worth being too stoked about..

i was thinking maybe cutlers new deal this week may distract him but whos gonna be distracted by being richer? so we dont have too many advantages really...

benson needs 200 yards on these fools.

[quote name='Quaker' date='21 October 2009 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1256168307' post='819410']
Palmer has been sacked 11 times this season.

1.83 sacks/game so far.

Average is 29.3 sacks over 16 games.

It would be his 2nd worst number of sacks, highest is 36.
[/quote]

yea i posted that in another thread.... i was replying to silly bungholes though process than nearly 50 sacks was like no big deal..

Archived