So, Who do we root for this week ?

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='23 December 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1261587131' post='847032']
Bengals fan or not, i would watch that game casue i love football Mongo. and football season is almost over, this has playoff contention all over it. it would be fun watching that game for sure.
[/quote]

in order to watch the game, you'd have to not watch the bengals game... i'd rather watch the bengals play than two teams i hate.

[quote name='mongo' date='23 December 2009 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1261587472' post='847037']
in order to watch the game, you'd have to not watch the bengals game... i'd rather watch the bengals play than two teams i hate.
[/quote]

i said that in an earlier post that it was a 1 o'clock game which isn't going to work since i'd be at PBS. and im going to pour one for my homie slim and smoke a blunt in his honor -_-

The situation is tricky due to the fact that the games are at the same time...Best case scenario is we beat the chiefs and ravens beat the steelers (well maybe tie). I really dont want to face the steelers in the playoffs, not cause I think we would lose, just cause I can handle losing in the playoffs, just not to them. Its like everything good weve done this year would just go to shit if we lost to them in the playoffs, this year would mean nothing. Beating them for a 3rd time would be sweet, but not worth the risk imo if we can avoid it (obviously we dont really have control on who we play).

But anwyays Ill root for the ravens and bengals, and hopefully we'll be up 21 at half and then just hope the ravens win so the steelers cant get in. Now if we are down at half, then it might be time to start hoping for a pittsburgh win.

But I think we will take care of business against KC win the division in front of the home crowd, and hopefully be able to celebrate with Pittsburgh getting eliminated the same day we get in!

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='22 December 2009 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1261537620' post='846877']
What a stupid negative post.
[/quote]
About as negative as yours. :)

I didn't read it that way at all. It was basically his view on the subject and his opinion on who to cheer for. Didn't seem negative to me.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 December 2009 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1261576665' post='846940']
that's about the only non-negative post he's made all week. All he's saying is a Ravens win doesn't help, a pissburgh win does.
[/quote]

[quote name='Tigris' date='23 December 2009 - 03:52 PM' timestamp='1261597959' post='847082']
About as negative as yours. :)

I didn't read it that way at all. It was basically his view on the subject and his opinion on who to cheer for. Didn't seem negative to me.
[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree. By saying "Pitt loses and Bengals not in playoffs" it assumes that we lose the next two weeks.

Read a few posts above about my opinion on who to root for, and I dont think we shouldnt hope the steelers win just cause they are the steelers, but I also dont think we need to root for them with the thought we might lose out. By assuming we might lose out means you are being negative, hence why I said his post was negative. Maybe he didnt mean it, but by saying "Pitt loses and Bengals not in playoffs" it sounds to me like he thinks there is at least a pretty good chance we lose out. Hence the negative part.

ill be keeping my eyes glued to the scoreboard at PBS watching other games unfold, but i assume we will wrap things up on our own..

then we just root against teams we dont want to face in the playoffs..

ideally the ravens beat the steelers then lose next week. broncos win, miami wins, jax wins(unlikely)

i'd like to be the ole AFCN team in the playoffs.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='22 December 2009 - 11:00 PM' timestamp='1261533655' post='846863']
what the fuck are you talking about? explain that...

if we beat the fucking cheifs we are in no matter what...

pitt has NO effect on the bengals playoffs...

the best pitt can do is 9-7.. worst bengals can do is 9-7, and we own tie breaker.. pitt means nothing to us..

we beat chiefs easily.. game set match..
[/quote]

Easy if you are of the mindset of one game at a time and you are correct ---- if the Bengals win the Pitt/Balt result means nothing. However, I do not put victory's in the books until they are actually in the book as I believe this funeral stuff and extra travel MAY take a toll on our team. Therefore ----- If Pitt beats Balt we are in then playoffs and our game does not matter except to gain seeding. If Balt beats Pitt we must win at least one of those final 2 to get in. That is why I had also included a comment that if a Bengals W is in the books ------ go Ravens as I would rather have them beat Pitt. However, a Ravens loss ensures our playoff spot.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='23 December 2009 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1261537620' post='846877']
What a stupid negative post.
[/quote]

Actually makes 100% since if you take a minute and think it through. At this time we have NOT won and are NOT in the playoffs. A Pitt victory over Balt ENSURES a playoff spot.

Again ------ if a Bengals W is in the books prior to the end of the Pitt/Balt game ---- then Go Ravens! If our game is not over or we were to get upset then Go Pitt!

Sorry guys --- this is pretty simple stuff here.

[quote name='mongo' date='23 December 2009 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1261587472' post='847037']
[/quote]

Notice the conditional form of "will".. I [b]would[/b] buy a Swiss Chalet in the Alps.. But I don't have that kind of money so it is unlikely..

I [b]would[/b] watch the Steelers and Ravens game because I love football.. But I [b]will[/b] be watching the Bengals game, so I will make do with highlights instead.

Ahem

[quote name='Harmening' date='23 December 2009 - 10:03 AM' timestamp='1261573434' post='846923']
We may not all agree with him, but how was it negative?
[/quote]

How can wishing your team in the playoffs with either a victory or defeat be negative?

I for the life of me cannot understand the comments and reaction to my comment. I believe we will win. I fear an emotional letdown with all the stuff from the last 10 days or so. Christmas with the loss of a loved one can add to that emotion and stress. I believe there are zero easy games in the NFL. I also believe a Ravens win may allow the Bengals coaches an opportunity to forgo a higher seed to rest necessary players for a longer run. I do not know that they would but it would be nice for them to be in position to make that choice.

Again there is something wrong when people are more concerend with the Steelers getting hammered than they are with what is best for their own team........

And finally ------- if the Bengals have sealed the deal and a W is in the book prior to the ending of the Pitt/Balt game, then Go Ravens as I fear neither the Ravens or the Steelers! Until that happens I want what is best for MY team and that is for Pitt to beat Balt as that LOCKS in a playoff spot.

[quote name='F.Cleveland' date='23 December 2009 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1261576536' post='846939']
In my mind, I want us to win for sure. Then it basically depends on New England. If the Jags win I want Denver to lose and the Ravens to win. If New England Wins, I want the Broncos to win and the Ravens to lose. This puts us playing Denver in the first round. We are going to have to beat Indy or San Diego to go to the AFC Championship and I am looking at the best chance to take down the one we don't have to play. In my opinion, Baltimore has the best chance of the upset because of their defense, albility to stop the run and ability to run at will. Then if everything falls right, we get to host the AFC Championship at home against the Ravens. Bring it!
[/quote]

Perfect would be for us to win out, SD to lose out and NE to win out. I believe that would give us the #2 seed.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 December 2009 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1261576665' post='846940']
that's about the only non-negative post he's made all week. All he's saying is a Ravens win doesn't help, a pissburgh win does.
[/quote]

Although I would disagree that all my posts have been negative ----- you are correct in your 2nd half analysis.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='24 December 2009 - 03:28 AM' timestamp='1261636109' post='847166']
Sorry but I disagree. By saying "Pitt loses and Bengals not in playoffs" it assumes that we lose the next two weeks.

Maybe he didnt mean it, but by saying "Pitt loses and Bengals not in playoffs" it sounds to me like he thinks there is at least a pretty good chance we lose out. Hence the negative part.
[/quote]

Absolutely not.

One week at a time guys. One week at a time. That is why the follow up comment ----- if Bengals W is in the book, Go Ravens!!!

[quote name='GoBengals' date='23 December 2009 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1261582766' post='846994']
its inaccurate on all counts and that leaves its sole purpose to be a stupid whiney bitchy crybaby bullshit post... if you click on his profile and hit "view posts" thats the only posts he makes.. for MONTHS thats the only posts made... that one wasnt as bad as most of his, but that doesnt lessen the intent.
[/quote]

No --- it was not inaccurate at all. As a matter of fact, it is 100% accurate. That being, narrow your view to the Pitt/Balt game and ONLY that game as that was teh intent. Pitt wins we are in, Balt wins we are not - 100% accurate regardless of the Kc/Cincy result.

Sorry you feel this way Go. That's really all I can say. I know you may disagree but my thoughts are far from negative and most are to generate conversation and attempt to get persons to think a little deeper as to why things are the way they are.

If the truth be known you would see that we actually agree 70-80% of the time. Here are a few --- the oline is not that good and the coaches have done a great job masking this weakness. Ced's Head is ok as long as we are winning but very likely to become and issue if we are not.

[quote name='cwing' date='22 December 2009 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1261527974' post='846842']
Let's see ----- Ravens lose and Cincy in playoffs. Pitt loses and Bengals not in playoffs. I sometimes find it hard to believe that so many Bengals fans feel success when Pitt struggles.

When the W is in the bank for our Bengals I'll root on the Ravens.
[/quote]

Sorry guys ------- I had no idea how poorly this was perceived. It was not intended that way.

"Ravens lose and Cincy in playoffs. Pitt loses and Bengals not in playoffs." I did not say nor mean to imply knocked out of the playoffs.

"When the W is in the bank for our Bengals I'll root on the Ravens." I felt it was clear that once I know that we are in the playoffs with our W then I would pull for Balt as I hate Pitt. In the end ------ My point was this, if Pitt beats the Ravens we are in no matter what.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='23 December 2009 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1261589396' post='847050']
The situation is tricky due to the fact that the games are at the same time...Best case scenario is we beat the chiefs and ravens beat the steelers (well maybe tie). I really dont want to face the steelers in the playoffs, not cause I think we would lose, just cause I can handle losing in the playoffs, just not to them. Its like everything good weve done this year would just go to shit if we lost to them in the playoffs, this year would mean nothing. Beating them for a 3rd time would be sweet, but not worth the risk imo if we can avoid it (obviously we dont really have control on who we play).

But anwyays Ill root for the ravens and bengals, and hopefully we'll be up 21 at half and then just hope the ravens win so the steelers cant get in. Now if we are down at half, then it might be time to start hoping for a pittsburgh win.

But I think we will take care of business against KC win the division in front of the home crowd, and hopefully be able to celebrate with Pittsburgh getting eliminated the same day we get in!
[/quote]

You pretty much said exactly everything I was thinking and saved me some keystrokes.

[quote name='cwing' date='24 December 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1261671052' post='847203']
No --- it was not inaccurate at all. As a matter of fact, it is 100% accurate. That being, narrow your view to the Pitt/Balt game and ONLY that game as that was teh intent. Pitt wins we are in, Balt wins we are not - 100% accurate regardless of the Kc/Cincy result.

Sorry you feel this way Go. That's really all I can say. I know you may disagree but my thoughts are far from negative and most are to generate conversation and attempt to get persons to think a little deeper as to why things are the way they are.

If the truth be known you would see that we actually agree 70-80% of the time. Here are a few --- the oline is not that good and the coaches have done a great job masking this weakness. Ced's Head is ok as long as we are winning but very likely to become and issue if we are not.
[/quote]

yes yes we all get it.. peaking through a very narrow unlikely window, it makes sense... why bother making life harder.. we play a poor KC team at home, a team with the 31st ranked rush defense, 2nd to worst in points allowed, giving up almost 400 yards per game..offensively only rank about 26th in rush yards, and thats 22nd..

we are favored by nearly 2 scores and are seemingly focused on the task at hand..

it is in fact, far more likely that we beat the chiefs than the steelers beating the ravens, ravens have already beat the steelers, and teh odds on the game are roughly even pitt being a 3 point fav at home, home team essentailly gets 3 points for being at home.

so to feel the need to assume the unlikely will happen forcing you to hope for the much less unlikely to occur, doesnt really make sense.

its rather irrational.

and since we are making assumptions and assuming the worst. a pitt win makes it possible that BOTH AFCN foes make the playoffs as the two wild cards, a balt win ends pitts season.

so id prefer only the ravens have a shot at the wild card, and not both.

ideal for me is balt win and bengals win. we clinch and pitt is DONE.

the absolute only reason to root for the steelers is if you think the bengals will lose. otherwise it means nothing... and there is no reason to serpate common sense and reality from the situation to make your comment logical, since reality is still a factor.

its possible we lose.. but VERY unlikely...

I wont be rooting for either, but I would rather have the Ratbirds win. The only thing they do is give the ball to Ray Rice. There secondary is banged up and our corners can shut their recievers down, making them even more one dimentional. I would cream my pants though if we got another shot at playing Denver.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='24 December 2009 - 02:34 AM' timestamp='1261636441' post='847168']
ill be keeping my eyes glued to the scoreboard at PBS watching other games unfold, but i assume we will wrap things up on our own..

then we just root against teams we dont want to face in the playoffs..

ideally the ravens beat the steelers then lose next week. broncos win, miami wins, jax wins(unlikely)

i'd like to be the ole AFCN team in the playoffs.
[/quote]

Good. The answer for neither Rats nor Stealers in the dance.

Why couldn't that scenario work if the Rats lost this week?

Archived